HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 7:16 AM
Beat it, bi(t)ches.

Ignore the massing, Lecom, which is indeed a valid point, but a point I was not trying to convey or cover.

If a tower of this quality rose abreast the Empire State or any other classic structure anywhere, there would be valid outcry.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 7:27 AM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVNY View Post
Ignore the massing, Lecom, which is indeed a valid point, but a point I was not trying to convey or cover.

If a tower of this quality rose abreast the Empire State or any other classic structure anywhere, there would be valid outcry.
Yes but at 1,200 feet, ajacent to the Empire State Building, the tower would be of much more high quality, different massing, and overall look nothing like 10 Barclay. And who would really build a tall residential building blocking the ESB? Yes there would be an outcry, but that would never happen, its like building the Metlife building directly in front of the Chrysler Building instead. So I dont really get you point.

The buildings fine, its alright if you dont like it but your acting like they had to demolish the original Penn Station for this.

Last edited by Patrick; Jan 9, 2008 at 7:39 AM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 7:58 AM
Beat it, bi(t)ches.

Now, now, do not exaggerate my position.

I am just responding to criticisms of my own personal belief that this structure is tasteless. And it is.

The nasty hulk only obliterates (formerly, you would have seen and been inspired by Woolworth):

A lovely NYGuy composition from Wired New York.

Disturbing. This is not acceptable design.

A nice photograph from Lofter of Wired New York.

Last edited by GVNY; Jan 9, 2008 at 8:23 AM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 2:42 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Yes but at 1,200 feet, ajacent to the Empire State Building, the tower would be of much more high quality, different massing, and overall look nothing like 10 Barclay. And who would really build a tall residential building blocking the ESB? Yes there would be an outcry, but that would never happen, its like building the Metlife building directly in front of the Chrysler Building instead.
Yeah, as nice as the planned MOMA tower is, imagine if it were proposed next to or accross the street from the Empire State...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 2:45 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
The nasty hulk only obliterates (formerly, you would have seen and been inspired by Woolworth):
Slightly. But its not the view of the Woolworth you would want anyway. Besides, you could say the same thing about the other neighboring towers. Depending on your vantage point, the Woolworth could be blocked anyway.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 9:03 PM

Quote:

Neither of us is going to convince one another of our argument - you value the Woolworth much more than I do, while also despise 10 Barclay more than I do too. Both are questions of aesthetics. I'm content with the situation (could be much better, but meh, could be worse too), you're not. Oh well. We're treading in the territory of pure opinions and tastes now.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 7:48 PM
New Yorker for life

View from the Woolworth Building, posted on curbed.com

Old Posted Feb 23, 2008, 2:11 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
View from the Woolworth Building, posted on curbed.com

At least the crown isn't terribly boring like some condo towers out there today.

That view will be 20 times as impressive in about 5 years (god willing).

Old Posted Feb 23, 2008, 12:51 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
That view will be 20 times as impressive in about 5 years (god willing).
Yeah, its amazing the amount and size of new towers that will rize in that immediate area, especially considering its right in the middle of a bustling city. Any one of those towers (including Goldman) would be major in a lot of places. We are very lucky to witness this. I certainly don't take it for granted.

Old Posted May 24, 2008, 6:37 PM
low-riding

I think that this one is completed and should rest with the other completed towers

Old Posted May 24, 2008, 7:21 PM
World Machine

A fine addition if you ask me, certainly is in person. I think it makes for a nice cluster, soon to be joined by 30 Park Place.

Old Posted May 24, 2008, 10:35 PM
YIMBY co-founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
I think that this one is completed and should rest with the other completed towers

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z...a/DSC00237.jpg
Sure looks that way to me, so into thw other playpen it goes.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted May 25, 2008, 7:40 AM
Salut tout le monde!

From my 3 last trips:

April 25th 2006

April 21st 2007

April 18th 2008

Old Posted May 25, 2008, 10:24 AM

I'm not sure whether the asymmetry makes it disturbing or distinctive.

Old Posted May 25, 2008, 2:57 PM
YIMBY co-founder

^I'd say neither. It works, bur isn't spectacular at all. I hadn't even noticed it until now (!) but now that I see it, it doesn't make much difference in how I view the tower.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 2:11 AM

What constitutes a "tasteless design" from one that is not?? Everything can't be perfect and the truth is, no matter what designers come up with for a building, somebody somewhere is not going to like it.

www.domandhyo.com

Old Posted Feb 16, 2009, 1:08 AM
dream fast

An average, cookie cutter tower. The window bays with the horizontal banding between floors has a late 1980's look about it. I'm not feelin' this one.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive