HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 5:01 PM

I have a friend that lives near 4th & L NE - close to Union Market - and its just bonkers the development happening around there. I thought he was nuts when he bought his house but its like doubled in value since he bought it. And when the REI opened at Uline I never thought it would make it. So basically, don't take housing advice from me.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 5:07 PM

With all of the development around Union Market and towards Ivy City, I would really like to see better transit to serve Union Market and then continue along New York Ave. That is one of the worst corridors in DC.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 1:22 PM

New proposed development at current Dance Loft on 14th Street brings more housing options

By Cesse Ip
March 24, 2021

The Value Furniture / Dance Loft building on 14th Street NW (Image via Petworth News)

Image courtesy of Petworth News.

"After a few years of renovations in a crumbling building, along with notice of a pending building sale, Dance Loft on 14th on the 4600 block of 14th Street NW is planning to purchase their current building in partnership with Heleos and redevelop the location.

They are proposing a six-story, 124,000 square foot mixed-use building consisting of 99 multi-family, mixed-income apartments."

https://www.petworthnews.org/blog/da...-redevelopment

Old Posted Mar 27, 2021, 1:45 AM

Not exactly sure if this belong here. It's not in the District. But, this will be visible from the District. Arlington/Alexandria could probably have it own thread.

JBG Smith Starts Construction On 800-Unit Apartment Towers Near HQ2
Washington DC
Multifamily
March 26, 2021 Jon Banister, Bisnow Washington, D.C.

Quote:
JBG Smith has broken ground on the next development in the growing National Landing neighborhood around Amazon HQ2.

The developer announced Friday it began construction on 1900 Crystal Drive, a pair of high-rise apartment towers totaling 808 units and 40K SF of ground-floor retail.

The project reaches 300 feet in height, with the 471-unit southern tower spanning 27 stories and the 337-unit northern tower having 26 stories. New York-based architect COOKFOX and D.C.-based Torti Gallas + Partners are designing the development.
https://www.bisnow.com/washington-dc...08282?rt=81129

Last edited by jpdivola; Mar 27, 2021 at 5:53 AM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2021, 1:57 AM

Excellent! It’s no dogecoin or Game Stop but I bought some shares of JBGS a few months ago.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2021, 3:26 PM

Any indications yet whether construction will be starting this year on the back side of the Scottish Rite?

(the renderings at that link don't show any trees for sidewalk shading... hopefully those are added to help mitigate the awfulness of DC's hot & humid summers)

https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/bl...street-m/17506

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 1:11 PM

Union Station

Bowser, Norton Call For Funding Union Station Redevelopment Project In Big Infrastructure Bill

By Jordan Pascale
March 27, 2021

"A big infrastructure bill is next on the list for Congress, and Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton and Mayor Muriel Bowser want to make sure money for redeveloping and expanding Union Station is included.

Both recently wrote letters to Transportation Secretary Buttigieg about the project funding.

“Given that Union Station is federally owned and that President Biden has emphasized the need for greater investment in high-speed rail and infrastructure, the (project) should receive priority consideration,” Norton wrote in a letter Friday. “The (expansion) is a historic opportunity to ensure that Union Station is a multimodal transportation hub that is seamlessly integrated into a thriving mixed-use neighborhood in the nation’s capital..."

https://dcist.com/story/21/03/27/bow...tructure-bill/

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
Any indications yet whether construction will be starting this year on the back side of the Scottish Rite?

(the renderings at that link don't show any trees for sidewalk shading... hopefully those are added to help mitigate the awfulness of DC's hot & humid summers)

https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/bl...street-m/17506
There has been a backhoe on the site for (at least) a couple weeks now. Unclear if it is related to the construction or not. If so, its very preliminary site work. I haven't noticed any visible progress since I first noticed it a month or so ago.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 11:52 PM

Behind a paywall, but WBJ reports a long planned 78-unit O Street condo has lined up financing. D.C. developers land financing to break ground on long-planned Shaw condos
By Rebecca Cooper – Digital Editor, Washington Business Journal
Mar 29, 2021

https://www.bizjournals.com/washingt...Pos=5#cxrecs_s

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 12:38 AM
DENNAB

I like JBG Smith's tower, that's nice looking. Isn't there also a new tallest coming to Arlington as well, 600 feet or something? That area will look super cool in the coming years.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I like JBG Smith's tower, that's nice looking. Isn't there also a new tallest coming to Arlington as well, 600 feet or something? That area will look super cool in the coming years.
There is a 615 ft. tall building planned for Tysons but a 600 foot building for Arlington would be prohibited by the FAA because it would interfere with the flight path for Reagan-National Airport.

https://ggwash.org/view/63468/615-fo...virginia-md-dc

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
There has been a backhoe on the site for (at least) a couple weeks now. Unclear if it is related to the construction or not. If so, its very preliminary site work. I haven't noticed any visible progress since I first noticed it a month or so ago.
Thanks for the update!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 9:43 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
There is a 615 ft. tall building planned for Tysons but a 600 foot building for Arlington would be prohibited by the FAA because it would interfere with the flight path for Reagan-National Airport.

https://ggwash.org/view/63468/615-fo...virginia-md-dc
Oh right, thought it was in Arlington for some reason, haven't heard anything about it in forever.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 10:47 PM

The Tysons "Iconic" 600ft tower will not be coming for a long time. As one of the approval conditions, the developer must construct another tower with metro facilities on the property beforehand, and that will take some time. And of course in this office market who knows what will happen.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 12:55 AM

A Mullett Redevelopment: 15 Units Proposed for a Pair of Rowhouses in DC’s West End

April 5, 2021
By Nena Perry-Brown
Urban Turf

Image courtesy of Urban Turf.

"A new development is on the boards for a pair of rowhouses in DC's West End.

PT Blooms is seeking historic concept approval to retrofit the landmarked Mullett Rowhouses at 2519-2525 Pennsylvania Avenue NW (map) into a 15-unit development with retail courtesy of a carriage house addition.

The resulting project would have retail in the historic houses and three garage parking spaces in the carriage house at the ground floor. The second through fourth floors of the carriage house would each be a two-bedroom unit, separated by a courtyard from a pair of one-bedroom units and two-bedroom units in the front portion..."

https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/bl...west-end/18090

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 8:28 PM

A More Vivid Look at 557-Unit Development Proposed Near Dave Thomas Circle

April 8, 2021
By Nena Perry-Brown
Urban Turf

"A few months after we first saw the major residential plans that Douglas Development has in the works across the street from Dave Thomas Circle, the project is now rendered in full color.

Douglas is planning to construct a 13-story, 557-unit project that would be sited on the triangular parking lot at First Street and New York Avenue NE. The building will have 10,550 square feet of ground-floor retail along with 264 parking and 120 bicycle storage spaces on two below-grade levels. HOK Architects is the designer..."

https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/bl...s-circle/18106

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 12:19 PM

Buzzard Point

The Buzzard Point Redevelopment blog has a good update of the various restaurants that have either opened or that are opening soon in Buzzard Point. These places look great and it is a dramatic change from only a few years ago.

April Update: The Perch, The Point, and the Power Plant

Image courtesy of Buzzard Point DC.

"This is DC's best weather time of year. Warm enough to be outside, perhaps with a light jacket, and not full-on mosquito season yet. I have definitely enjoyed several nights in the backyard. Though, at least on my block, there have been competing loud music sources that make the airwaves unpleasant. Trying to keep a positive attitude over here! You know what's helping? New places to explore in Buzzard Point! Our first restaurants/bars/lounge have opened already or will open this week.

First up, RowHouse. This is the ground floor restaurant and bar at the Cambria. I have been a couple more times for happy hour and am definitely digging the fried chicken sliders and fries there..."

https://buzzardptdc.com/latest/f/apr...he-power-plant

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 4:49 PM

From a Detached House to 16 Units Off Suitland Parkway

April 14, 2021
By Nena Perry-Brown
Urban Turf

"Some new apartments may be slated for Suitland Parkway.

A zoning application has been filed to replace the detached house at 2405 Alabama Avenue SE (map) with a 16-unit apartment building.

The tank-shaped building would include residential units and a bike storage room on the cellar level. The unit mix will span one- to three-bedrooms, and each unit would have outdoor space..."

April 14, 2021by Nena Perry-Brown

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 6:34 PM

Buzzard Point

Here are a couple of more photos of Buzzard Point (and a photo with the Frederick Douglass bridge as a bonus), courtesy of @jakesauser.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 7:45 PM
Me?!?

Buzzard Point is looking great and I can't wait to check it out the next time I am down.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations