HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #281  
Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 9:28 PM
Klippenstein's Avatar
Klippenstein Klippenstein is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 315








Photos by me from yesterday morning
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #282  
Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 4:53 PM
cityofblindinglights's Avatar
cityofblindinglights cityofblindinglights is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 115
From Sunday the 18th
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #283  
Old Posted Jul 25, 2021, 1:58 PM
harryc's Avatar
harryc harryc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oak Park, Il
Posts: 14,989
July 19



__________________
Harry C - Urbanize Chicago- My Flickr stream HRC_OakPark
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. B Franklin.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #284  
Old Posted Jul 25, 2021, 3:35 PM
BuildThemTaller BuildThemTaller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Long Island City, NY
Posts: 810
For all the griping about blocking views of the C&C Building, 300N Michigan Ave seems to have mostly left the view corridors intact. The crown of C&C remains visible from the River and Pioneer Court.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #285  
Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 8:09 PM
Tombstoner Tombstoner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
For all the griping about blocking views of the C&C Building, 300N Michigan Ave seems to have mostly left the view corridors intact. The crown of C&C remains visible from the River and Pioneer Court.
But not down Michigan Avenue--a very significant "view corridor" IMHO
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #286  
Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 11:39 PM
Toasty Joe Toasty Joe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Wicker Park, Chicago, IL
Posts: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
For all the griping about blocking views of the C&C Building, 300N Michigan Ave seems to have mostly left the view corridors intact. The crown of C&C remains visible from the River and Pioneer Court.
unfortunately it will from certain key angles (like along the DuSable Bridge) and for me, it's more that they're blocking a city icon from an iconic viewpoint without even trying to "replace the loss" aka another blue glass box that serves to look out from, not be looked at.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #287  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 9:23 PM
vexxed82's Avatar
vexxed82 vexxed82 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 528
Sunday 7/25





I created these full-height, constructed perspective shots by stitching together 6 separate frames. It was the only way to fit the full structure in the frame AND then correct the perspective for nice and parallel vertical lines with breathing room on the bottom & sides.



In the top middle frame, the full building is fully in frame, but my lens was at max shift and I *still* had to pan my camera up a few degrees to get the top of the structure and enough sky. Had I perspective controlled that one frame, it would have been extremely narrow. Adding the other frames allowed me ample overage to increase the field of view of the composite image.
__________________
Nick Ulivieri | instagram | twitter | Facebook
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #288  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 5:31 PM
rivernorthlurker rivernorthlurker is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Chicago
Posts: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by vexxed82 View Post


I created these full-height, constructed perspective shots by stitching together 6 separate frames. It was the only way to fit the full structure in the frame AND then correct the perspective for nice and parallel vertical lines with breathing room on the bottom & sides.

In the top middle frame, the full building is fully in frame, but my lens was at max shift and I *still* had to pan my camera up a few degrees to get the top of the structure and enough sky. Had I perspective controlled that one frame, it would have been extremely narrow. Adding the other frames allowed me ample overage to increase the field of view of the composite image.
Thanks for the behind the scenes details on how you made this. More than meets the eye and a lot more than just 'point and shoot.' Sounds complicated and time consuming and thank you for sharing. Always a good day when you post on the forum!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #289  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 7:42 PM
vexxed82's Avatar
vexxed82 vexxed82 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker View Post
Thanks for the behind the scenes details on how you made this. More than meets the eye and a lot more than just 'point and shoot.' Sounds complicated and time consuming and thank you for sharing. Always a good day when you post on the forum!
You're welcome. Yeah, sometimes too much work/thought goes into some of my shots, but the technical stuff is fun to experiment with when it means better images. Either way I'm learning something But this specific technique is great for shooting tall buildings in tight quarters. Architecture photography is a lot easier when you can get farther away from a building and/or it's shorter.
__________________
Nick Ulivieri | instagram | twitter | Facebook
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #290  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2021, 8:42 PM
harryc's Avatar
harryc harryc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oak Park, Il
Posts: 14,989
^^^ Thank you Nick for the method behind the art.

July 29













r

Aug 2



r
__________________
Harry C - Urbanize Chicago- My Flickr stream HRC_OakPark
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. B Franklin.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #291  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2021, 9:47 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 21,375
Mich Ave between the river and Randolph St is really coming onto its own with all of these new towers and rehabs.
__________________
The only thing better than a V10 is a V12
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #292  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 7:05 PM
Ned.B Ned.B is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
It appears my wishes have come true and they've fixed that horrendous salmon paint job on the hotel to the north. Woo!
The gray is kind of overdone and cold though, especially for a building with pseudo classical references. I'm ready to get back to more warm neutrals, that don't necessarily have to be RN beige or salmon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #293  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 5:28 AM
The Lurker The Lurker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Great Lakes
Posts: 690
^I don't know what the best color is but I know this is a 1000% improvement from what was there before. That building used to irritate me to no end. Now its completely forgettable and I'm fine with that.
__________________
Lets go Brandon
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #294  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 2:12 PM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is online now
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 26,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post
^I don't know what the best color is but I know this is a 1000% improvement from what was there before. That building used to irritate me to no end. Now its completely forgettable and I'm fine with that.
exactly.

i don't care if cool gray is overdone or not, whatever helps that particular trainwreck slink further into anonymity is a step in the right direction IMO.
__________________
"every time a strip mall dies, an angel gets its wings"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #295  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 4:57 PM
Tom In Chicago's Avatar
Tom In Chicago Tom In Chicago is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sick City
Posts: 6,800
^As bad of a building that is I can't seem to stop looking at it. . . it's an odd duck for sure, but I'm kind of glad it's there - it makes extreme use of the buildings footprint which I think anyone would find interesting even if the architectural style is abysmal. . .

. . .
__________________
Tom in Chicago
. . .
Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #296  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 5:37 PM
LouisVanDerWright LouisVanDerWright is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7,396
^^^ Yeah, IMO this one falls into the "kitsch POMO" category which is what POMO is supposed to be about. Plus that penthouse has to be dope. Didn't mind the pink that much myself, but then again I'm all for splashes of color on the cityscape.
__________________
Real Estate Bubble 2.0 in full effect:

Reddit.com/r/REbubble
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #297  
Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 6:30 AM
kolchak's Avatar
kolchak kolchak is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
^As bad of a building that is I can't seem to stop looking at it. . . it's an odd duck for sure, but I'm kind of glad it's there - it makes extreme use of the buildings footprint which I think anyone would find interesting even if the architectural style is abysmal. . .

. . .
Agree. It is flush against its neighbors and the lot borders going straight up utilizing all available vertical space.

300 would have been better if it had held to this concept. Still the horizontal bands are working well imo and its going to look fine.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #298  
Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 4:20 PM
OhioGuy OhioGuy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: HOU->CHI->CMH->DC->CHI->OAK
Posts: 7,513
Captured this shot of 300 N Michigan under construction from the brown line this morning.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #299  
Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 4:24 PM
sentinel's Avatar
sentinel sentinel is offline
Plenary pleasures.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,769
Fantastic shot!
__________________
Don't be shy. Step into the light.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #300  
Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 8:44 PM
rivernorthlurker rivernorthlurker is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Chicago
Posts: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolchak View Post
Agree. It is flush against its neighbors and the lot borders going straight up utilizing all available vertical space.

300 would have been better if it had held to this concept. Still the horizontal bands are working well imo and its going to look fine.
Looking at the renderings on https://bklarchitecture.com/projects/300-n-michigan/, the white bands do not continue past the common space at ~ the 15th floor - at least on the east face. They do on the south and north faces according to the rendering. It looks like the balconies on the north and south faces are the 'break point' for strips/no strips. I can't find any renderings of the west face (the most visible). If it it mirrors the east face it's just gonna be glass with no strips :/ But maybe it wraps on three sides and just not the entrance side of the building. We'll find out soon enough.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:06 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.