HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 30, 2023, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Received some new information on the proposed 509 W. Monroe Tower that was to be somewhere around 250'. It has now morphed into a 7-floor 153-unit project. What a bummer. Was really hoping to see some towers sprout up on the Western edges of downtown
Well, it seems like this cycle is finally dying out. Hopefully we still get Astra and some of the other proposed towers completed.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2023, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Received some new information on the proposed 509 W. Monroe Tower that was to be somewhere around 250'. It has now morphed into a 7-floor 153-unit project. What a bummer. Was really hoping to see some towers sprout up on the Western edges of downtown
I'm fine with a low- to mid-rise building there. I don't think a few random towers on the western edge of DT is all that important and is ultimately unlikely. I'd really like to see actual movement on the Toll brothers site (and Taylor Place Phase 2?) on the north side of Van Buren. Add in 509 W. Monroe to create a more dynamic residential and entertainment area with The Van Buren, Crescent Ballroom, Dodge Theater, and various restaurants and bars. Ultimately renovation/restoration and use of some of the underused great "historic" building stock in the area (including finally the old church site) plus more infill of the few parking lots would make a nice area.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2023, 8:13 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Well, it seems like this cycle is finally dying out. Hopefully we still get Astra and some of the other proposed towers completed.
I don't see any indication the cycle is dying out. Aside from Astra, X Roosevelt has started, Vela is close to starting, Portland and 2nd is moving along in the permit process, Edith is moving again, the Blue still up and coming and many other projects are in the works.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2023, 2:21 AM
Skyriser

The issue I have with that project downscaling is that it's by the same developers that are putting up Realm. Developers don't usually dramatically downscale their second projects like this.

I wonder if they realized they weren't going to get the density without a lengthy text amendment process. 400 units on a half block would have been almost double the allowed 218 du/acre.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 4:29 PM

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...m-rentals.html

At work so I can't post the full article but looks like ADU's are approved.

Not sure how I feel about them being not allowed for short term rentals as "Boarding houses" pre ww2 were a significant part of the housing stock.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...m-rentals.html

At work so I can't post the full article but looks like ADU's are approved.

Not sure how I feel about them being not allowed for short term rentals as "Boarding houses" pre ww2 were a significant part of the housing stock.
Sounds like anti-short-term-rentals is the main feedback they got, so if that's the compromise to get it passed I guess I'm ok with it. I'm also skeptical about the impact of something like this--the article mentions Tucson only permitting about 60 ADUs in the 2 years since it passed a similar provision. But it's something.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Sounds like anti-short-term-rentals is the main feedback they got, so if that's the compromise to get it passed I guess I'm ok with it. I'm also skeptical about the impact of something like this--the article mentions Tucson only permitting about 60 ADUs in the 2 years since it passed a similar provision. But it's something.
How would the City know if it's being used as a short-term rental? Do they peruse air bnb listings? Do they rely on complaints from neighbors? What if someone wants to rent it out for a week at a time during the super bowl or Phoenix Open or other sporting event only? Will they ensure that doesn't happen by setting up a sting operation? And what's the penalty? I'm curious how they plan to enforce this.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
How would the City know if it's being used as a short-term rental? Do they peruse air bnb listings? Do they rely on complaints from neighbors? What if someone wants to rent it out for a week at a time during the super bowl or Phoenix Open or other sporting event only? Will they ensure that doesn't happen by setting up a sting operation? And what's the penalty? I'm curious how they plan to enforce this.
STRs must now be registered with the city and there's lots of reports of new enforcement, especially on party houses. City has a few enforcement tools like fines. Yes, they do peruse the STR websites for enforcement.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Part of that is simply an issue of awareness. Ultimately its up to the city to partner with the private sector to produce mechanisms that incentivize their construction - things like prefab options, pre-approved plans, ministerial permitting, grants, etc. We'll see what happens, but having the ability to build an ADU if desired in the first place is an all important first step.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
It will for sure be hard to police, obviously impossible to stamp out. Most likely will rely on annoyed neighbors to report.

But quite frankly if you run a tight ship of a boarding house with a couple rental rooms in your home and ADU it would be hard to get caught.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_daniel View Post
Part of that is simply an issue of awareness. Ultimately its up to the city to partner with the private sector to produce mechanisms that incentivize their construction - things like prefab options, pre-approved plans, ministerial permitting, grants, etc. We'll see what happens, but having the ability to build an ADU if desired in the first place is an all important first step.
You will see ADU's explode especially in established neighborhoods with yards. ADU's are great for resale value, aging parents and just for extra income. I think you'll see a lot get built in central Phoenix, Arcadia and other older suburban areas.

I'm sure you'll see Tempe, Mesa, Glendale Etc follow suite as well.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2023, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
Anyone know what happened to the 14 story building that was supposed to go up at Scottsdale & Bell Rd on the SW corner? They tore down the strip mall and cleared the site - put up a fence - but nothing has happened since...
This was asked in the Scottsdale thread but bumping it back up. Anyone happen to have any updates?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2023, 4:54 PM
Skyriser

Judging by the number of stalled permits I think they don't have the budget to build this.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2023, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Judging by the number of stalled permits I think they don't have the budget to build this.
Build what?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2023, 3:50 AM
Skyriser

The Scottsdale and Bell tower, sorry. Thank you for asking to clear that up.

The developer also doesn't appear to have any high rise experience which never helps. Local developers are almost always in over their head when they try to build their first tower and are rarely successful.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2023, 8:53 PM

Hotel San Carlos in downtown Phoenix set for $80 million renovation project

Plans were shared a couple of pages back. Work expected to start no later than end of year. No mention of the fates of Seamus/Centrico.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...enovation.html

Quote:
The historic Hotel San Carlos — one of the longest-operating hotels in downtown Phoenix — is set for an $80 million renovation, according to city of Phoenix documents.

In August, the owner of the hotel, Columbus-based Rockbridge Capital LLC, applied for a $500,000 grant through a city of Phoenix historic preservation office program to help with the costs of rehabilitating the hotel.

Located at 202 N. Central Ave., or the southwest corner of Central Avenue and Van Buren Street, the Hotel San Carlos was built in 1928 and was once a getaway spot for tourists and Hollywood movie stars. It was also one of the first Phoenix hotels with steam heat, elevators and air-cooling.

The Renaissance-revival style hotel is seven stories with a basement, three rooftops and currently houses restaurants including the Seamus McCaffrey's Irish Pub and Mexican eatery Centrico. A recognizable aluminum sign that was installed in 1955 also also adorns a corner of the building from the second to seventh floors.

With support from a city of Phoenix grant, Rockbridge expects to invest more than $80 million to increase the room count from 128 to 141 and renovate specific interior and exterior portions of the building.

It also plans to expand with a new destination restaurant, lobby bar and basement speakeasy; reintroduce a historic palm room and accompanying tea court; add a pool and rooftop amenities and feature 5,000 square feet of meeting space, according to the grant application.

The renovation will also include modernizing all guest rooms and bathrooms, new mechanical systems such as HVAC, new roofs and repaired elevators. The company expects to start renovating the hotel in Q4 2023 and deliver the project by the first quarter of 2025.

"The transformational renovation will position the Hotel San Carlos as a leading hotel in the Phoenix market and gain national attention," the application said.

Last edited by ASU Diablo; Sep 14, 2023 at 9:17 PM.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Plans were shared a couple of pages back. Work expected to start no later than end of year. No mention of the fates of Seamus/Centrico.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...enovation.html
I was eating at Centrico about a week ago. The owner said he is looking for a new place and possibly own. Sounded like he has been looking around Grand Ave.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 6:50 AM

Hopefully nothing happens to Seamus, it’s the best Irish Pub we have downtown and I like the original old pub divey style. Not a bar I want to see renovated, some things need to remain the same.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoublePines View Post
I was eating at Centrico about a week ago. The owner said he is looking for a new place and possibly own. Sounded like he has been looking around Grand Ave.
Did he happen to share when Centrico would be closing down? Need to make sure to get some chilaquiles one more time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
Hopefully nothing happens to Seamus, it’s the best Irish Pub we have downtown and I like the original old pub divey style. Not a bar I want to see renovated, some things need to remain the same.
The writing is on the wall for Seamus, it's gone. Maybe it comes back in some form and can take over the basement speakeasy concept but I doubt it. I can't think of another divey bar around downtown PHX after Seamus closes down.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
The writing is on the wall for Seamus, it's gone. Maybe it comes back in some form and can take over the basement speakeasy concept but I doubt it. I can't think of another divey bar around downtown PHX after Seamus closes down.
Chambers might be the next closest thing, it's all gentrified now. I'd say it's mostly for the good but super bummed that Seamus is going to be gone.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest