HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 1, 2022, 2:15 PM

Great updates, Matthew. Keep em coming!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2022, 4:32 PM

Another great update

Thanks for taking the time to put these updates together. I was in Winston this past weekend visiting family and was so heartened to see people on the streets and in restaurants downtown. I know COVID hit local businesses hard (not only here but everywhere) but the crowds at the Young Cardinal on Fourth Street gave me hope.

I really enjoy reading this thread and appreciate your efforts to compile this information.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 12:02 AM
Fourth and Main

Thank you to everyone following the updates and replying.

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen.

More hotels and apartments in today's update... this is a time of great hotel and apartment construction for Winston-Salem. According to an AXIOS Charlotte article, there are more apartments under construction in downtown Winston-Salem than in Charlotte's red-hot South End! And a massive number of new apartments were proposed over the past few months for downtown Winston-Salem. The people comparing Winston-Salem to Asheville are right. Non-stop hotel and luxury apartment proposals.

Video Link

FSC P7 Hotel & Condominiums:
Someone at WSTB Forum said they are in phase 2 of the 3 design phases for this 16-storey 5-star hotel and luxury condominiums project. It is also now appearing in printed material, but I haven't seen those printed materials. Maybe by Fall-2022 we could see something official from the developer? I'm guessing construction won't start until next year?

Roar:
The conversion of a 1920s Ford automobile assembly plant and showroom into a food hall, entertainment venue, office building, and restaurants.

Credit: roar.ws

Forsyth County Courthouse:
Church Street will be closed at the construction site, from February 28 to August 15, 2022, so workers can create the cut-and-cover tunnel and make changes to utilities in the path of the tunnel.

Chatham Building Apartments & Retail:

Credit: Preservation Forsyth

Credit: Hayden Grady

WFBH Eye Institute:
rmhpmi @ WSTB Forum showed a photograph of a vibration test for the site in downtown's IQ District. This facility will have very complicated and delicate surgeries and vibrations can be dangerous.

Reynolda House Museum of Art Restoration:
The roof replacement is completed. Next, they need to repair or replace the shutters, in my opinion.

Washington Park Renovation:
The new picnic shelter is now completed. Work will start on the new entrance to the park when the weather improves.

Robert Hall Hotel and Conference Center:

The Huntley House Hotel at Robert Hall (I like the Art Deco furniture):

Credit: roberthallws

Realty Building Apartments:
This property (Patten / Realty Building) was recently sold to the development company converting the Chatham Building to apartments. Expect more downtown apartments from this transaction.

Spencer's Mill Hotel:
This hotel and mini-convention center adaptive-reuse project will have 44,000 square-feet of convention space, 26,500 square-feet of additional flexible space, along with a full-service restaurant, bar, and a rooftop lounge. Other features include Willow Street Pocket Park, with a splash pad, and a farmers market pavilion. This adaptive-reuse project will also include a courtyard with a water feature. Completion is set for Fall 2024. Everyone loves water features: The developer gave a presentation to 5th grade students on Innovation Day and they were very impressed with the water feature.

Courtyard with water feature:

Credit: Sunhouse

Winston Towne South Condominiums:
This 5-storey residential and retail project is now in permitting and could start construction in a few months.

Lofts @ Whitaker Park:

Credit: winstonwatchman

Winston Lake Park Improvements:
Phase II is now completed. Lake Dredging won't be completed until around July 2022.

Inmar Headquarters:
We aren't really following this project, but after finding photographs of it... I thought I would share them. If you like the view and the office, Inmar is always hiring! They are a large tech company located in downtown Winston-Salem, for those outside the area.

I would be willing to go back to the office for that view and the lunchtime restaurant options on downtown's Restaurant Row:

Credit: magnoliaconstruction_llc

Alpha Aluminum Building:
The 340,000 square-foot former Alpha Aluminum facility was sold to a San Francisco-based capital investment firm. No word on their plans for this building? It made aluminum for many uses, from automotive to cookware to toolboxes and more. Sadly, it closed several years ago and has sat vacant since that time.

Nationwide Marketing Headquarters:

The dumpster is still there, so work continues:

Credit: stewartknight

Tucker's Tap Yard:
LMI Builders is the General Contractor for this project.

Truliant Headquarters Expansion:
Completion is set for Fall 2022. If you're looking for a job, they are hiring 100 people in a variety of jobs, from tech to innovation. This building will open with 200 new employees and will reach 550 employees when they finish hiring. The financial company currently has 920 employees.

Credit: Davie Construction

Salem Lake Park Improvements:
The masonry is finished and the boat house is now completed.

Link Apartments 4th Street:

Apartment construction on the left, in the background:

Credit: twincitysweets

An older photograph from the roof:

Credit: twincitymedia

Credit: Hayden Grady

Scream Dreams:
Scream Dreams is a 66,000 square-foot haunted attraction, currently under-construction, by Gus McPherson. McPherson is a sculptor known for his work at haunted attractions in other states, across the nation. He is also known for a steam punk festival. In this haunted attraction, look for 40 different theme rooms and it will employ around 80 actors. Outside the Hallowe'en season, look for themed escape rooms. He expects to attract visitors from over 100 miles / 160 kilometres from the building. Completion is set for September 1, 2022.

Metropolitan Mixed-use:
We now know this mixed-use apartments / office / retail development will have 325 residential units.

Bailey Power Plant Tenants:
Barcelona Burger will open in July 2022. Restaurant Six Hundredº had a soft opening over the weekend and will open March 8, 2022.

Video Link

The new sign lights-up:

Credit: Ebert Sign Co.

Credit: sjoeyb

Barcelona Burger space (you can see the "coming soon" Barcelona Burger posters in the windows):

Credit: JNA Signs & Graphics

I guess there are only one or two more retail spaces available at Bailey Power Plant's multi-building complex? They need to start on the Morris Building, to meet the growing demand for more downtown retail/restaurant space at the power plant.

Incendiary Brewing Expansion:
Craft beer brewer, Incendiary Brewing Company, is growing so fast they nearly ran-out of beer several times. To solve this issue, they have acquired a new space to brew their beer and additional acreage, for a vineyard, to create their own wines in the near future! Yes, Incendiary Brewing could become Winston-Salem's newest winery! They will also start a barrel-aging program at this site. We will try to follow this project, if photographs are made available. Completion is set for April 9, 2022.

Grant Park Expansion Phase II:
The climbing walls are up, the pollinator garden is moving forward, but the playground equipment is being held-up by trucking issues.

Homewood Suites Hotel:
BPR Properties will construct a new 108-key / room Homewood Suites by Hilton hotel at Oxford Station Way. According to the plans, it will be five storeys. It's an unusual triangular-shaped lot and the hotel is designed around this lot shape. The rendering they have is the same as the renderings for their other Homewood Suites projects in other cities, so they don't have a rendering for just this project and, due to the lot shape, it won't look anything like that rendering. It does appear to have a nice outdoor area, according to the non-construction documents I've seen.

Whitaker Park Mixed-use Project:

Credit: SHFB

Alternative Transportation:

Salem Parkway Bike & Pedestrian Path:
The western-half has a large number of retaining walls and requires reworking some streets. Public engagement is required for this project, due to the amount of work. It could be a while before any actual construction work starts. They may not have final approvals for months!

North-South Rail Transit System:
According to Jeff Fansler, the City is currently studying this rail transit project. They would like to move forward with it. It will have a bike and walking trail and a rail transit line along the same right-of-way. It will connect the two largest universities in Winston-Salem with Union Station, Whitaker Park, downtown, and downtown's IQ District.

Credit: Design Collective

Oliver Cycling Park:
This project is seeking an Our Town Grant, which requires the City and Creative Corridors to partner on the application. It will feature heritage landscaping, a gathering space, and a pavilion. The cost for the remaining work is estimated at $7 million.

Transit, Bike, & Pedestrian Improvements:
WSTA is studying micro transit and may go beyond fixed-route services.

Don't forget: March 18 is Transit Driver Appreciation Day

Off-Subject:

Best Cities to Work from Home:
Apartmentguide has ranked Winston-Salem as the third best city to work-from-home. In their ranking of the top-100 largest cities, here are the top three.

1. Chandler, Ariz.
2. Cincinnati
3. Winston-Salem

Metro Job Growth in 2021:
Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia MSA 3.28%
Winston-Salem MSA 3.2%
Greensboro-High Point MSA 2.57%

Random Photographs:

I love that Art Deco cornerstone and the brickwork! St. Benedict Catholic Church:

Credit: hawkeye_aviation

The pedestrian bridges over the parkway, the bike and walking path, some of the skyscrapers, and even the Rainbow Bridge are in blue and yellow:

Credit: thegotowinstonsalem

Your City

Old Posted Mar 17, 2022, 5:04 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen.

Still trying to find songs that make you smile / laugh. Wow, this was actually #2 on the pop charts that year?
Video Link

WFBH Eye Institute:
This project will start construction on infrastructure, soon. Work on the actual building won't start until January 10, 2023. Sadly, we will have to wait until June 27, 2022, at the earliest, for renderings. They are finishing the schematic design right now. Completion is set for August 6, 2024. I would look for something happening at the site around the end of next month.

Roar:
The conversion of a former Ford automobile assembly plant and showroom into a mixed-use entertainment, food hall, office space, rooftop bar, and restaurant space. It should be completed in another week or two. Est! Est!! Est!!! opened yesterday. Mayfair Club rooftop bar opens today.

Credit: jlcaspers.ws

Credit: downtownwinstonsalem

Merschel Park:
And work has now restarted on this park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Camel @ WSTB Forum
Ram's Point Apartments & Retail:
The developer has acquired the site and this project is now ready to move forward. Yes, more apartments! These will be located between Third and Fourth streets.

Liberty Park:
An update on the sensory garden project.

Credit: Wake Wagner

Kaleideum Science Museum:

Credit: Chris Miller

Novant Health Critical Care Center:

Site demolition has started for this project:

Credit: winston_360

The InBetween Artist Collective:
The InBetween is an artistic company that is woman-owned, black-owned, and LGBTQIA+ owned. They will provide an immersive experience that makes you question and appreciate everything around you. Their goals are to provide affordable shows and exhibits, implement educational programs, and become a sustainable company. It's currently in the fundraising stage.

Video Link

Lesser-Known Beer Company:
We now know the name of the restaurant in this development. It will be called East of Texas.

This mixed-use (craft beer brewery - restaurant - office space) project is the entire block of historic storefronts:

Credit: lesserknownbeerco

Exposition Center:
A new site was found, on the northwest side of the county, but Forsyth County will need a crossing permission from the Yadkin Valley Railroad. The City of Winston-Salem donated the 200-acre property, so the site is acquired. This could become a significant event center for northwest North Carolina.

Artreaux Apartments:

Credit: Harold K Jordan & Co., Inc.

Herbalife Lab Space Expansion:
Herbalife is currently preparing for a lab expansion. Not many details at this time.

Homewood Suites Hotel:
And we have elevations, from Atlanta-based architect OM Design Solutions. The height is around 69 feet / 21 metres. It's nothing exciting, but it will be visible from Salem Parkway.

Credit: OM Design Solutions

Metropolitan Mixed-use:
Workers are at the site, clearing it for the new mixed-use office / retail / residential development. The structures being demolished are not worth preserving. Some are boarded-up structures that have sat vacant for a few years. It should bring more residents and workers into downtown's IQ District. This is a major upgrade for these blocks and look at that skyline and IQ District view!

Work has started, demolishing the 1969-1970 structures for the new mixed-use development:

Winston Towne South Condominiums: Cancelled
The IRS executed a warrant to seize select funds from Hayco Construction, the General Contractor and a development partner on this project. They are alleging probable cause of wire and / or bank fraud involving PPP funds. It appears as if the founder may have invested PPP funds in a Canadian biotech company called Universal Ibogaine Inc.,. The construction company's founder was in Mexico when they attempted to execute the seizure.

Six Hundredº restaurant is completed and now open!

Credit: stitchdesignshop

It's a 1926 power plant building converted into retail / restaurant and office space:

The chef of this restaurant was voted Chef of the Year for North Carolina, so this is a big opening:

University of Strasbourg Downtown Campus:
The University of Strasbourg president, Michel Deneken, toured downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District and is planning an educational and research collaboration that may result in a new Innovation Quarter building. Deneken said “It is my first trip to the United States and what I have seen here is in contrast to my country. That means very ambitious programs and great, huge buildings. This is very amazing. I see that we can have very committed actions because here I found excellence in robotics and simulators, which are very important in my university." The collaboration with the French university is seen as having potential to boost education and scientific discovery in downtown Winston-Salem and the world.

Credit: monaart

Pieces of the sculpture planned for the site:

Cloverleaf Park:
Senator Richard Burr secured $1,721,000 for this park's bike and walking path along downtown Winston-Salem's waterfront. I'm guessing this will start construction later this year.

AeroX Innovation Hub:
Joby Aviation, a VTOL (vertical take-off and landing) division of Toyota, was the air-taxi company looking into a large campus at AeroX Innovation Hub at Smith Reynolds Airport. It would've brought 1,600 jobs to Winston-Salem by 2025. Sadly, Toyota backed-away from the project. I'm not sure if they will return to Winston-Salem, seeking incentives, at a later date? Some of these projects do that. Smith Reynolds Airport is working to become a major hub for VTOL (vertical take-off and landing) research and development with their AeroX Innovation Hub.

Off-Subject:

Random Photographs:

Credit: oo_tina_oo140647

Credit: tim_hutch

Your City

Old Posted Mar 27, 2022, 1:50 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Yes, this is the second fastest growing urban county (Forsyth County / Winston-Salem) in North Carolina, according to the Census Bureau!

Still trying to make you smile and or laugh (turn-it-up and sing-along!):
Video Link

My wife likes 80s and early-90s music, but I like 60s music.

Roar: Built!
This project is now completed. It was the adaptive-reuse of a former Ford automobile assembly plant and showroom into a food hall, office space, restaurants, rooftop bar, performing arts center, outdoor restaurant space, and entertainment (bowling, sports simulators, etc.) center. Interestingly, it has performance stages on every floor. If you're in downtown's Arts District, be sure to visit Roar!

Mayfair Club Rooftop Bar:

Video Link

A new restaurant that opened in Roar:
Video Link

Another restaurant that opened in Roar:
Video Link

Bowling:

Credit: linkaptsiq

Sports Simulators:

Credit: linkaptsiq

The performing arts center is now open, completing the project, and this group was the first to perform there:
Video Link

The group performing there was given a tour of City Hall, which you may find interesting to see:
Video Link

Merschel Park:
It appears as if STITCH Design Shop is now involved in the design. I'm not sure if they redesigned it or worked with the previous architect on park structures? I can confirm they are involved.

Credit: Fam Brownlee

Rendering and Site Plan (Haven't changed from those posted in November):

Credit: Stimmel Associates

Credit: Stimmel Associates

Shade Structures:

Credit: STITCH Design Shop

Looking up at the Shade Structures:

Sparq New Venture & Small Business Launch Pad: Built!
This project is now completed and I've heard it's 100% full! It's innovation and coworking space in Bailey Power Plant, with access to attorneys, accountants and marketing professionals. They have social events, discounts with downtown businesses, and a coffee bar in their office space. Members also have access to space in Raleigh and have access to Durham's American Underground, which is owned by the same company that owns Sparq in Winston-Salem. I'm guessing their members in Durham and Raleigh also have access to Sparq in Winston-Salem with their membership? Winston-Salem is the world's leading center for Regenerative Medicine research and technology. The city is seeing companies from around the world that want a presence in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District and spaces like these are a good place to open your first local office.

If you'll be working at Sparq, you'll likely need these:

Credit: camelcitygoods

Credit: Fox 8

Credit: Fox 8

Steel is now completed for the 7th floor:

Credit: Jake

Eleventh Street Townhouses & Apartments:
This massive project's total cost is increasing and it will be built in phases. Interestingly, the second phase is moving closer to downtown's IQ District. Phase I is now expected to start in May 2022, with completion set for November 2023. No word on construction starts and completion dates for the other phases.

Looking up from the construction site:

Credit: Kerry Garrett

Truist Stadium Upgrades:
Pendulum Studio was hired as the architect for the upgrades. The firm's founder worked on the original ballpark design for 360 Architecture. They will work on a conceptual design and produce cost estimates. WiFi upgrades are also planned.

Completion is set for June 2022.

Salem Lake Boat House (the wrapped beams are wood beams that will be visible from the inside):

Credit: City of Winston-Salem

Downtown Streetscape:
Duke Energy is having supply issues in getting new poles and this continues to be the delay in converting First and Second streets to two-way streets. Some people are concerned about any closures, as we enter downtown Winston-Salem's Festival Season.

Tucker's Tap Yard:

Credit: tuckers_tapyard

The architect found the original designs for the park structures and is working to make the new buildings match the designs of the original buildings.

Ingersoll Rand:
Ingersoll Rand will move some of their headquarters employees to a building in suburban Winston-Salem. I'm not sure how many of their headquarters employees will be moving to the Winston-Salem area? There aren't many details at this time.

WFBH ED/OR/ICU Tower:
Demolition is still progressing for this proposed 12-15 storey building with possible spire.

Credit: orebrandonm

Kids bouldering (rock climbing) walls being installed:

Custom playground bridge landings:

Credit: StimmelPA

This shelter is designed with COR-TEN Steel to match other park features:

City Training Center:
With the City of Winston-Salem looking to fill hundreds of jobs, they are now planning to construct a training center for available City jobs. The $5-6 million project, on East 16th Street, will offer the certificates, endorsements, and degrees required for these jobs. From what I've heard, the City hasn't acquired the land, but is starting the process to acquire it. Since the start of COVID-19, it seems everyone, nationwide, is having trouble hiring. Cities attracting a large number of new employers have an even bigger challenge competing against the employers they attracted. This is an interesting way to fill jobs. You complete the training and the job is yours.

This project is now completed. They are waiting for a big ribbon cutting ceremony to officially open it.

UNCSA Student Apartments: Built!
This project is now completed. With its location, atop a tall ridge, it has a nice skyline view!

Credit: fiber_cement

Plans for the eastern-half of the bicycle commuting path will be finished by May 2022. Look for a new completion date to be shared later this year.

Little Creek Greenway Extension:
Exciting news! Plans for this project are out-for-bid.

Creative Corridors:
NCDOT is currently reviewing lighting plans along the Salem Parkway bridges. 10 art submissions are being reviewed for sites around these bridges. Completion of this project is scheduled for July 2023.

Rails-to-Trails Bicycle Commuter Highway Expansion:
A feasibility study is currently underway. This will extend the path from downtown to Smith Reynolds Airport. It will also preserve the rail lines for a rail transit system to run along side the path.

North-South Rail Transit System:
Since this rail transit line must use 27th Street to access the Sports & Entertainment Complex, they must use a streetcar. I think it will also travel along the street in front of Whitaker Park Mixed-use Development. It appears as if they will double-track the streetcar, except for the areas where two narrow 1920s bridges prevent this? The streetcar stations will be in the middle of the tracks. For those not from the area: Most of this streetcar's right-of-way will be dedicated ROW for the streetcar only, reusing an abandoned rail line. The green path in the bottom image is a proposed bike and walking path along the streetcar route (Rails-to-Trails Bicycle Commuter Highway Expansion). Part of that project (in downtown) is already completed. You'll see both the bike & walking path and streetcar in the diagrams and on the maps. 6% of the people living around this project commute by bicycle, so having both rail transit and a bike path, side-by-side, is a smart idea. Winston-Salem City Council insists on making this rail transit project happen.

Credit: HDR

Green is the bike & walking path - Blue is the streetcar - Yellow is sidewalk access to the streetcar and bike path. This is streetcar and bike path only:

Credit: HDR

Off-Subject:

UNCSA Costume Design Ranked Among Top 10:

Ranked by the Hollywood Reporter as top-10:
Video Link

Census - Fastest Growing Counties and Metros in N.C.,:

Census Fastest Growing Counties in N.C.,:
Wake County (Raleigh - Cary): 1.8%
Forsyth County (Winston-Salem): 0.8%
Mecklenburg County (Charlotte): 0.6%
Durham County (Durham): 0.4%
Guilford County (Greensboro - High Point): 0.2%

Census Fastest Growing Metro Areas in N.C.,:
Raleigh - Cary: 1.98%
Charlotte: 1.18%
Winston-Salem: 0.75%
Durham - Chapel Hill: 0.43%
Greensboro - High Point: 0.27%

Random Photographs:

Credit: roedigerhouse

Your City

Old Posted Apr 1, 2022, 5:16 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the Winston-Salem / Forsyth County Public Library, local and state historians, and local businesses, sharing images and information, who made this post possible. Without you, we wouldn't have today's fun post. Please have as much fun looking through this as I had assembling it!

Yes, this is the city estimated to be the largest in the Carolinas in the latest 1928 population estimates!

It's not from the 1880s...
Video Link

Did you know: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humorina

Greyhound Bus Depot: Built!
This project is now completed. It includes the Greyhound Gateway Restaurant, a newsstand, a barbershop, lockers, a taxi area, and for lease retail spaces along the Cherry Street facade.

Credit

Workers finishing-up the building before the grand opening:

Credit

Newsstand and Restaurant:

Credit

Ticket Counter:

Credit

Waiting Area (Notice the illustrations of destinations you can go by bus):

Credit

Nissen Building:
Window installation continues and workers install the tile roof above the 20th floor. Completion is set for November or December 1926.

Credit

Elks Auditorium:
We have a new theatre proposal for downtown's Arts District. Elks Auditorium will be designed by J. B. McElfatrick & Sons and is expected to open in 1903.

Yes, we have a rendering!

Credit

City Hall:
Of course I have a color rendering of the new City Hall! It appears they are going with Northup & O'Brien as the architect.

Credit

Davis McCollum Department Store:
Work is almost finished on this project. The completion date has moved-up to the last week of October 1928. They are installing glass in the transom and working on the interior. This is the new luxury department store that is replacing the old Phoenix Hotel at Fourth and Liberty streets. It looks very close to the rendering. The first image has the original details and I did post a rendering to compare to the construction photograph. This will be the top luxury department store in North Carolina when it opens.

Credit

Rendering:

Credit

Forsyth County Courthouse Expansion:
Forsyth County has officially announced plans for a major Courthouse renovation and expansion. I'm concerned they may remove the Victorian tower for this design and I really wish they would just build new. One day, this city will wish it still had some of these big Victorian buildings.

Proposed Expansion & Renovation:

Credit

Existing 1896 Courthouse:

Credit

Credit

Carolina Apartments & Theatre:
This project doesn't look anything like the rendering? This will be the tallest residential structure in North Carolina, when completed. It's an apartment building, movie theatre, rooftop garden, and cafe.

Wow! Everything in this city is under construction!

Credit

The Rendering:

Credit

O'Hanlon Building:
O'Hanlon's is ready to replace their old building. It's office space on the upper floors and retail on the ground floor. Not many details at this time, but you can see the architect on their rendering.

Credit

Hotel Forsyth:
The financial partners in the project have met and selected William L. Stoddart as the architect. This was the winning design for the hotel with ground floor retail, rooftop dance club, and a massive ballroom. There is talk it may include a water feature in the lobby? I guess we shall see.

Credit

Journal-Sentinel Building:
Brick has arrived at the site and steel is rising on the fourth floor. Since the Morning Journal recently purchased the Evening Sentinel from its New York owners, I'm guessing the building will take the name Journal-Sentinel Building? Maybe we will see an expansion to their construction project?

Credit

Nash Bolich Building:
This is a proposal for a mixed-use building with offices, a business school, retail spaces on Fourth Street, and a Nash automobile dealership with a Nash repair shop behind the structure.

Credit

2852 Merry Acres:
We usually don't post houses, but this is a large house finishing construction, soon. It was designed by local architect Luther Lashmit. Everyone is saying it looks like a yacht or cruise ship, but that is the new Art Moderne style that seems to be growing in popularity in Winston-Salem.

Credit: NC Modernists

Bruce Building:
A new proposal for the Goler Depot area. Still waiting on more details.

Credit

Morris Plan Industrial Bank: Built!
This project is now completed. It's a bank office with retail spaces.

Credit

Phillips Rowhouses:
We now have floor plans and a rendering for this rowhouse development.

Credit

Southern Railway Headquarters:
City Council is in talks with Southern Railway Company to move their headquarters from Washington, D.C. to Winston-Salem. Mayor Thomas Barber said "with the assurance that the real welcome will be given the Company, its officers and employees would the city be selected as headquarters.” Winston-Salem is the most profitable stop on Southern Railway's system.

Imagine this at the northwest corner of Fourth and Cherry streets:

Credit

Kress:
We finally have the new plans for Kress' Fourth Street store. We are now waiting on the ground breaking date.

Credit

Reynolds Building:
It's topped-out and cladding is quickly rising. This 23-storey building will be the tallest skyscraper in the Carolinas when it's completed and will be among the tallest outside NYC and Chicago.

An older image, from a few weeks ago:

Credit

This is more recent (you can see it's almost fully clad):

Credit

This is how it will look on the skyline, when completed:

Credit

Realty Building:
A new office building is proposed on Fourth Street, next to the library.

Credit

Streetcar & Bus Safety Zones:
The City of Winston-Salem has new streetcar and bus safety zones along Liberty Street. This is the new way to board or transfer in downtown.

Credit

New Miller Airport Terminal:
A construction update on the new Howard Cheney designed airport terminal at Miller Airport. The airport will change its name to Zachary Smith Reynolds Airport when the new terminal is completed. This is expected to become one of the nation's top airports when it's completed.

Credit

Credit

The windows are soaped so construction workers know they have glass in them:

Credit

Credit

Credit

Credit

Credit

Off-Subject:

Population Estimates:
As of January 1, 1928, the Associated Press / U.S. Newspaper Bureau estimates Winston-Salem as the largest city in the Carolinas, with 82,262 residents.

Random Photographs:

Credit

Credit

Credit

Credit

Credit

Your City

Old Posted Apr 1, 2022, 12:04 PM

Lovely update!

What a great update on all the development going on in Winston! You'd have to be a fool not to be impressed with all these projects!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 2:00 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc
There are renderings in 2022 that will go unposted... we must go back, Matty... back to the future!
Video Link

I just discovered: Reynolds Auditorium forbids time travel in front of their building when students are using Hanes Park. Just the side with the clock, though.

Merschel Park:
This park will have a 30 foot / 9.15 metre tall kinetic sculpture that moves with the wind. The park is officially described as two connected plazas, so maybe they should change the name back to Merschel Plaza or maybe Merschel Plazas?

FSC P7 Hotel & Condominiums:
The Mayor of Winston-Salem became the first person outside the forums to publicly speak of this 16-storey luxury hotel and condominium project. So, I'm thinking it's near an official announcement? He was looking at the developer and discussing the monetary size of the investment planned.

4th and Green Apartments & Retail:

Our first rendering of it is a look at the back of the building:

Credit: Michael Sears

Center for Translational Research & Population Health:
The Mayor of Winston-Salem reported Wexford Science + Technology has over $200 million in construction projects planned for downtown's IQ District. So, that would include this building. It must be nearing construction?

Artist Village: Built!
Now that it's completed, this project has a new name and they will bury a time capsule to be opened in the 2060s.

Video Link

Second & Brookstown Apartments:

We have elevations! The faux wood details (wood-colored or yellow in some views) are around the main entrance:

Credit: Cline Design

Ronnies Downtown Grocery Store:
When Ronnie's downtown grocery store relocates to the former Woolworth space on Liberty Street, in the center of downtown, it will be four times larger than it previously was. They will restore the former Woolworth lunch counter space as a restaurant, offering breakfast and lunch again. They are adding upscale offerings, like high end coffee, breads, and additional hams not previously offered. For some of the more unique items, they will have a website to order from anywhere in the nation and have the items sent to you. Completion is set for September or October of 2022.

This looks older than the previous photograph?

ReMDO Innovation Accelerator:
Regenerative Medicine entrepreneurs can now experience support from the world’s first organization dedicated to advancing regenerative medicine manufacturing scale-up and automation to speed up the translation of technologies to patients. The ReMDO Innovation Accelerator offers access to state-of-the-art biomanufacturing equipment, industry expertise, and talent to support novel prototyping and commercial product development through its ReMDO Test Bed. The Innovation Accelerator is a key component of the established Regenerative Medicine Hub. BioMedInnovations is the first tenant in the ReMDO Innovation Accelerator. They moved to downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District from Raleigh's Research Triangle and are focused on innovative solutions for tissue and organ perfusion and preservation.

Truist Stadium Upgrades:
We now know one of the planned projects for the downtown ballpark. They are planning to add a 40 foot / 12.2 metre bar made from a cargo container.

Will this be the bar's location, blocking steps to the outfield seating section?

Credit: TrueLook

Biomedical Emerging Technology Application:
The National Center for the Biotechnology Workforce headquarters campus in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District received funding from the National Science Foundation Advanced Technical Education to introduce and pilot Biomedical Emerging Technology Application Skill Standards. This is in collaboration with the Bioscience Core Skills Institute. In-demand skills, that are relevant to biotechnicians and other technical workers, will be offered through this funding.

If you would like to kayak (April 23, April 24, April 30, and May 1) in the lake, preregister at (336) 650-7677. The cost is $20 an hour. You do have to preregister at that phone number.

You can see part of the skyline from this COR-TEN Steel picnic shelter:

Credit: stimmelpa

Nucor Steel Mill:
Nucor has announced they will build a $350 million steel manufacturing plant for the fast growing Mid-Atlantic construction industry. It is expected to start construction in Fall 2022 and to open in Spring 2024. The Winston-Salem MSA competed with sites in six other states for this project. The jobs at the new steel mill will pay around $100,000. N.C.R.R. has agreed to build a new rail spur and loading docks for the project that will use the Winston-Salem Southbound Railroad. State and local incentives were involved, including $19.3 million in State incentives. Nucor donated nearly $1 million to four local charities at the project announcement, as a thank you for the incentives.

The never completed "Drunken Noodle Restaurant" space will now become "The Vault" private events center. So, I guess Robert Hall Hotel & Conference Center won't have a restaurant?

The Easley Apartments:
We haven't seen an update on this project in a long time! It's nearing completion. I'm guessing most of the apartments are pre-leased and it wouldn't surprise me if they already have a waiting list. Downtown is the hottest housing market in the Winston-Salem metro area. That is why we see so many massive apartment projects from multiple developers and some developers building two or more at once, like this developer.

Not the best photograph, but you can see the progress:

Work is starting on East of Texas restaurant and the neighboring retail spaces in the development.

New Biotech Jobs:
A Quebec-based biotech company will open their United States headquarters in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District. No information on how many jobs this will create. They are leasing space in the building behind the City Hall Complex.

Credit: Servpro of Winston-Salem

You can see where the sign will go:

Credit: Servpro of Winston-Salem

Corpening Plaza Water Gardens & Park Renovation:
The City of Winston-Salem is planning a renovation of the park and water features for $4.2 million.

Cladding has started!

Brick cladding being installed:

Exposition Center:
The new location has strong community support and could become a major attraction for the area.

Lofts @ Whitaker Park:

Oliver Cycling Park:
This project is currently seeking $4 million.

The Gallery Ballroom: Built!
I thought I already had this project as completed, but it's still on the list? It is completed and you can rent the spaces for conferences, conventions, trade shows, and other uses.

1960s pedestrian tunnel under Fifth Street connecting the convention center to The Gallery Ballroom:

Credit: DWSP

Artreaux Apartments:
It appears as if the southwestern apartment structure of this mixed-use apartments, co-working space, parking deck, and townhouse development has topped-out? Only the pads are poured for the townhouses.

Credit: harold-k-jordan-&-co

You can see the topped-out section of the apartment and co-working building from Fiddlin' Fish Brewing Company's (craft beer) tap room:

New WSTA Office Building:
WSTA is planning a replacement for their 1977 office building, which is too small and at replacement age. Morris Berg Architects was hired to study plans for the new building. So, it's very early in the design process and we won't have many details for several more months.

Smith Reynolds Airport Projects:
Work will start this summer on repaving the longest runway. The airport is also paying for a study on how to best use the land they own around the airport. They would like to build a hanger for electric VTOL aircraft.

New Hangars:
Construction started in March 2022, with completion scheduled for March 2023, on a new $15 million hangar for MRO Holdings. It is expected to bring 325 new jobs to the airport. They are growing fast.

Rail Streetcar System:
This project is still active and requires a $52 million match. It's on a list of projects the City would like to have funded in the next six years.

Random Photographs:

Credit: jhize

Downtown Japanese Garden Waterfall & Bridge:

Credit: susanmaiercolon

Your City

Old Posted Apr 21, 2022, 3:01 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

We have a lot of new projects and renderings in this update, including a new employer downtown involved in the space industry! Hold my space helmet, I'm preparing to update the forum!

Hope you had a happy 4/20!
Video Link

Axiom Space at Bailey Power Plant:
The newest tenant in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District is Houston-based Axiom Space, which is building the world's first commercial space station. They want a presence at the Regenerative Medicine Hub at Bailey Power Plant. Dr. Anthony Atala said “This partnership paves the way for an entire commercial industry on board Axiom’s space station that will enable our scientific research teams to advance biomanufacturing to bring new treatments that cannot be developed on Earth and treatments for conditions that affect the human body when exposed to the harsh environment of space travel. We can literally take the regenerative medicine field to a whole new level.” Yes, regenerative medicine scientists in downtown Winston-Salem partnering with Axiom Space to advance in-space regenerative medicine biomanufacturing. Axiom is working to construct their own space station, to attach to the International Space Station in 2024 and later become part of a new space station. That space station will become a global research and commercial hub and this will be a part of it. Christian Maender, director of in-space manufacturing and research at Axiom Space, said “Regenerative medicine has been identified as important focus area for commercial space initiatives that has the opportunity to provide new hope for breakthrough treatments and aligns with our mission to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it.” Astronauts will be trained by scientists in downtown Winston-Salem before traveling to space. It sounds exciting!

There are several other companies finalizing leases for lab and office space to work with regenerative medicine scientists and institutes in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District. So, look for more big announcements, soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoedigerHouse @ WSTB Forum
Bowman Gray Stadium Renovation: Built!
Did someone cut a ribbon? This project is now completed! This Art Deco stadium has seen everyone from Jack Dempsey to Vince Lombardi on it's field. It hosted concerts and even jitterbug dance competitions in the 1930s. It's great to see it cleaned-up and modernized for today's sports events!

The Bill Hayes statue will be 12 feet / 3.67 metres tall and is nearly finished. It will be bronze with a granite pedestal. Look for the statue to be installed around September or October 2022. The same people fundraising for the statue are also raising money for the Bill and Carolyn Hayes Scholarship Endowment. In addition, they are holding an annual William “Bill” Hayes Charity Golf Tournament. Interestingly, this will be only the second "sports star" statue in Winston-Salem. Arnold Palmer is the other statue.

Is that the Mayor cutting a ribbon... It must be completed!

Vannoy Construction is the General Contractor for this project.

Cherry Street Market:
This is an older rendering, from architect CPL, of the Cherry Street Market project. Stratus Property Group of Atlanta is shown as the developer.

Credit: CPL

Tucker's Tap Yard:
This project will open in 60 days. Look for the signs, soon!

TW Garner Campus:
One of the big developments, along the rail lines, near Smith Reynolds Airport.

Work on Phase II will start in Fall 2023, with 72 residential units.

The Easley Apartments:

I can see work at the outdoor amenity area is progressing:

Winston Junction Phase II:
IceHombre at the WSTB Forum reported work has started on this project. They are demolishing the existing produce warehouse down to the pad, which will be reused. The section being demolished appears to be metal cladding over insulation (refrigerated produce warehouse?) and isn't worth saving. The Winston Junction project is the adaptive-reuse of old downtown produce warehouses for bars, restaurants, retail, and live music/events. It should be interesting to see what they build on this pad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHombre @ WSTB Forum

Huntley House Hotel at Robert Hall:

There are more photographs of this project, from this photographer, at the WSTB Forum:
Quote:

Downtown Streetscape:

An update on the streetscape restoration in the Old Salem Neighborhood (That retail building was built in 1775):

AeroX Innovation Hub:
David Mounts "could" be preparing to become the full-time leader of AeroX, devoting all of his energy into it?

New Park Space:
Is there an official name for this project (in the Boston-Thurmond Neighborhood) or will it be announced at completion? Permitting has started. Stimmel Associates is the architect for this project.

Off-Subject:

RiverRun International Film Festival:
RiverRun is back, April 21-30. It is one of the world's top film festivals and one of the few to not only qualify films for Academy Awards, but to qualify two or more films for Academy Awards, which is very rare. You will see submissions from around the world. Nearly 2,000 films were submitted, but only 174 of those films, from 33 countries, were selected for this year's festival. Be sure to visit Winston-Salem for this film festival. Interestingly, a category was added to show Winston-Salem filmmakers' work, which should be fun. They also have a Pitch Fest competition for college documentary filmmakers.

Random Photographs:

Credit: OldSalemInc

Credit: recreationbilliards

Your City

Old Posted May 1, 2022, 12:07 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Yes, this city is in the top-5 on Linkedin's Workforce Confidence Index. Winston-Salem is very optimistic about it's future and you can see why in this thread!

That last update on 4/20 was weak... I can and should do better! This is an amazing and booming city and its update should reflect that! Lets try this again.

And don't forget to pass the Winston-Salem Update around! No Bogarting.
Video Link

Major design errors were found in this project and Forsyth County decided to pay for it now and enter legal discussions with multiple people involved to get them to pay the County back. This allows the project to continue on schedule and to avoid having to stop work and negotiate. If you're wanting to know: The architect is Gensler and Blum Construction is the GC. All very respected and known for quality.

Credit: kaleideum

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHombre

Liberty Park Sensory Garden:

It's the gravel space:

Health Simulation Lab:
Salem College is planning a Health Simulation Lab for students to experience the clinical environment.

Merschel Park:

Credit: Drive Tour

Chatham Building Apartments:

Credit: Drive Tour

Ludlow House & Sheppard House Restorations:
Yes, this project is still under construction. The developer is replacing deteriorated concrete around the Shepherd House with more historically accurate brick walkways and cobblestone.

This school building will be demolished for the first phase of new apartments and townhouses:

I'm not a fan of the hotel's style, but I thank the developer for renovating this 1920s building:

JC Harris Holdings has acquired a site at Whitaker Park for a speculative building. Not many details at this time.

Chicago-based Brennan Investment Group broke ground on a 110,163 square-foot building, near Cook Medical Devices' new building, at Whitaker Park. They are already in talks with potential tenants and think both of their buildings at Whitaker Park, this new building and a building they are finishing in June, will be leased before they are completed. Most likely by companies in aerospace, regenerative medicine, or the EV industry. Whitaker Park has biotech/life science, warehousing, office, hotel, apartments, and retail spaces. It is mixed-use, with some of everything. It also has easy access to downtown, Wake Forest University, and the airport. Brennan Investment Group said this development was attractive because it's “research, technology, manufacturing and distribution users seeking to locate near top research universities, major interstates, and populations with high-disposable incomes and high-educational attainment levels." This is also being designed as a walkable development.

Rendering of the now under construction 110,163 square-foot building:

Credit: NAI

More Biotech Jobs:
Javara Research, a women-led company headquartered in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District, plans to hire 200 new employees.

It appears as if the dumpster is gone? Is the upfit completed?

880 solar panels will be installed on the roof, generating enough electricity to power 44 homes. Installation will take place this summer, with completion in Fall 2022.

The Easley Apartments:
This massive 300-unit apartment building, bicycle commuter shortcut path, and new city park project is almost completed! I'm sure cyclists are excited about the bicycle commuter shortcut path opening soon. Apartments in downtown Winston-Salem fill-up fast, so if you're interested you need to contact them now.

The view over the outfield wall is all apartments, with more on the way (another big apartment building is proposed in that large gap):

Credit: wellbeedailey

Ralph & Dewitt Hanes House, Garden Restoration:
You can learn more about Ellen Biddle Shipman here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellen_Biddle_Shipman

An update on the restoration of the Ellen Biddle Shipman-designed garden:

Credit: gardenclubcouncil

The house was designed by famed New England architect Julian Peabody and completed in 1929:

Credit: gardenclubcouncil

230 Town Run Lane:
A hotel developer has acquired the small office building across from the Kaleideum construction site. No details at this time.

O'Hanlon Building:
A developer has this 1915 office building under contract. It's an excellent candidate for residential conversion. If the developer closes, we'll see what their plans are. You could have 24 apartments and ground floor retail in this building? I guess it could also become a hotel? At 9 storeys, it has a nice view.

City Centre Building:
This proposed office project, presented by General Contractor Balfour Beatty and Architect Little Diversified Architectural Consulting, will take roughly two years to complete. Yes, that is the former Lexcom site.

The most recent rendering, from the architect:

Credit: Little Diversified

250 West First Street:
Several developers bid to purchase this 1993 office building, with its distinctive multi-pyramid roof, parking under the building, and many balconies. Most of the bidders are wanting to do a residential conversion. There is an upset bid date of May 10. We should know the final bidder on that date.

The climbing tower is finished and on the way to the park:

Credit: stimmelpa

It will be clad in brick and glass and metal panels, with a redesigned patient drop-off and pick-up area to increase convenience and accessibility. The main lobby welcomes patients with floor-to-ceiling windows and furniture and finishes that take cues from Winston-Salem's gardens and parks, using photography wraps on the walls, and the color and texture of the tile.

The first floor of the 193,480 square-foot building is the surgical suite, with expanded pre- and postoperative space. The second, third, and fourth floors will have 36 medical-surgical beds and 60 critical care beds. Patient rooms will be larger than the hospital's current rooms to offer additional privacy while also providing flexibility for the future, enabling the rooms to be converted to intensive care or isolation rooms to handle more complex care. Each floor will have a centralized nurses’ station for operational efficiencies, with smaller decentralized work niches outside patient rooms to enhance patient care and support increased bedside nursing time.

Gresham Smith is the architect, Vannoy Construction is the general contractor, Fitzpatrick Engineering is the structural engineer, BR+A/ Dewberry Engineers is the MEP engineer, and Stimmel Associates is the civil engineer. Completion is set for Fall 2024.

I see a few nice downtown office tower photographs on the walls in two of these three photographs:

Credit: Gresham Smith Architects

Sentinel Commons:
Parks is moving their headquarters to the office space on the third and fourth floors of Sentinel Commons. Lambert Architecture & Interiors designed their new office space and the upfit is entering permitting.

Artreaux Apartments:

Quote:

Look for the crane and construction:

Credit: Daniel Findley

Salem College Innovation Lab:
This proposed space is described as something similar to a makerspace, with options such as 3D printing and laser cutting, as examples.

Quote:

Winston-Salem will receive $875,770 from the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Carbon Reduction Program in 2022. The most of any city in the Triad. I'm not sure what project this will be used for? More money will be awarded over the next four years.

Downtown Streetscape:
Work is starting on the Main and Liberty streets two-way conversion. They are negotiating with a tree removal company.

Off-Subject:

Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts:
This is a Winston-Salem museum you may not know about, called MESDA. It's actually a very well-known and respected museum among historians and designers, in downtown's Old Salem District.

Video Link

Linkedin's 2022 Workforce Confidence Index:
"Each year, LinkedIn’s big Workforce Confidence survey highlights the 10 U.S. metro areas where individuals’ overall optimism is running highest." Winston-Salem is in the top five for 2022, viewing it's economic future as very bright / exciting, as seen in this thread.

Video Link

Video Link

Random Photographs:

Rooftop Pool:

Credit: greaterwinstonsaleminc

Credit: christyleigha

Credit: jacqueline_ramsey_healing_blog

Your City

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 1:01 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Still trying to make you laugh... wow, this is really bad... but it's building themed!
Video Link

This is actually a 279-unit apartment building designed to hide a massive parking deck for the ballpark. The apartment building will hide the ballpark's parking deck from view on all four sides. Yes, at the center of the apartment building is a large parking deck with 1,438 parking spaces and a requirement for at least 1,026 or more of those spaces be used for the ballpark. It's great to see the ballpark hiding its parking from view like this. When the ballpark was built, the team expected fans to walk, take a WSTA bus, or ride bicycles from the neighborhoods around it, but were surprised when most of the fans attending games came from outside the city and mostly from surrounding counties, leading to major parking issues for downtown, with fans parking in downtown decks far from the ballpark and taking a shuttle bus to the ballpark. To the baseball team's surprise, very few of the fans attending games actually live in the downtown area or in the city. Parking decks wrapped in other uses (like apartments) will be constructed at this site and the site behind the outfield wall to help solve this issue. This is the first of two or three of these projects to solve this issue.

8 W 3:
We haven't had an update on this adaptive-reuse project, from developer PMC Property Group, in a long time. It's the conversion of the original 1911 Wachovia Bank Headquarters Building into luxury apartments and ground floor retail. I think we now know who Triangle Construction hired to do the interior demolition and asbestos abatement?

Do I see a D.H. Griffin Demolition truck (contractor gutting the interior)?

Credit: Spectrum

500 West 5th:
Renfro has leased more office space and is preparing to start work on the second half of their corporate headquarters in this downtown Winston-Salem skyscraper. They delayed the work and headquarters relocation due to COVID-19. You may remember the building's owner was holding extra space for them. When this project is completed, the company's headquarters address will change to Winston-Salem. Frank L. Blum Construction will be the General Contractor. STITCH Design Shop is the architect.

Quote:

Tucker's Tap Yard:

This is bigger and nicer than I expected! They also have a large amount of room to grow. Keep in mind: This development also includes apartments, a hotel, and retail development.

Custom-made stairs for one of the new headquarters offices in the development:

Credit: viatordesignandconstruction

Quote:

The ribbon cutting for Winston Lake Park is scheduled for June 4, 2022.

The Legacy Apartments:
A showcase of Winston-Salem's rough terrain. The roughest terrain of North Carolina's big six cities. This is a new luxury apartment development that is replacing the Art Moderne (pre-1950) affordable apartments near the university research medical center. At one time, Winston-Salem was one of the nation's leading cities in Art Moderne architecture. It's sad to see how much was lost and this is twice as bad, since it's a gentrification project. This site is in easy walking distance to everything from jobs to schools to restaurants/stores to a park to grocery stores and a synagogue.

Quote:

TW Garner Campus:
A progress update on their new airport campus. You can see how close the airport is to downtown in this photograph.

Quote:
The Easley Apartments:

Quote:

New Tech Jobs in Downtown Winston-Salem:
Nashville-based HCTec has increased their office space in downtown Winston-Salem by 25% and plans to increase their total number of employees in downtown Winston-Salem by nearly 50% before the end of the year. If you're an engineer and want a job, they are hiring! They have already increased their employee totals in downtown Winston-Salem by 20% since last Summer. They expect to reach capacity in their current building, soon! So, look for them to sign a sizable lease at another downtown Winston-Salem building, possibly next year? HCTec's Mike Linville said “The Winston-Salem and Forsyth County region is an ecosystem supporting innovation and growth for businesses and their employees, and one in which our HCTec Winston-Salem team is thriving. HCTec wants to harness this momentum, the robust growth in the region, and our team, strengthening our partnership with clients and our broader team.”

Is this project completed?

Credit: Bart

Interstate 74:

This project could be completed? I'm not 100% sure, since it's more than just a hotel. It's also a restaurant, bar, office building, outdoor venue, craft beer brewery, and event space. I think the office space is completed, the craft beer brewery is completed, and maybe now the hotel is completed? I need confirmation the other parts are completed before I call it completed.

Credit: roberthallwsnc

You can reserve one room or the entire Huntley House Hotel for big events:

Truist Stadium Upgrades:
In these photographs, you can see the extreme terrain in downtown's "Village District."

The Foothills Brewing Container Bar with beer can mural looks cheap on this award winning ballpark's concourse:

This former bullpen converted into a bar area for Appalachian Mountain Brewing was renovated (what happened to the outfield ribbon board?):

Lofts @ Whitaker Park:

Quote:

West Academy Apartments:
I think this project has a new name? I see it called The Flats at Peters Creek? This project has reduced the total number of units by 13%. Construction is expected to start in Spring 2023, with completion set for 2024.

Salem Bottling Works:
Jared Rogers / QAH Group purchased the 1920s Coca-Cola Building and plans to convert the building into a food hall. It may have a carousel and outdoor and rooftop seating. Construction could start possibly next year and completion is set for 2025.

You can see the rooftop space and outdoor seating area, with nice skyline views:

Credit: WXII 12

Building 90 Lab Conversion:
Wexford Science and Technology will convert Building 90 in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District from office space to lab space. The tech company leasing the office space moved to a neighboring skyscraper this month. Building 90 has 242,742 square-feet of single-tenant office space. Since the start of COVID-19, demand for lab space has become greater than the supply of lab space. This is not just in downtown Winston-Salem, but nationally! Developers in many cities, from Boston to San Diego, are converting office buildings to lab space, as they take advantage of a national shortage of lab space. Not all buildings can be converted to lab space, but this building can be converted. They are already in talks with tenants for Building 90 that are seeking lab space in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District. Downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District is the nation's leading center for Regenerative Medicine research and companies moving to Winston-Salem to work with other scientists in Regenerative Medicine need lab space. They believe the building will be fully leased before the conversion is completed and they can charge a higher rate per square-foot for lab space than office space. Wexford Science and Technology owns the building and is the developer and Whiting-Turner will likely be the general contractor. Yes, this is an adaptive-reuse project.

Artreaux Apartments:

You can see it rising behind the Ramkat live music venue, Wiseman Brewing, and Winston Junction (retail/entertainment/restaurants):
Quote:

This part of downtown Winston-Salem has appeared in national publications as one of the next / up-and-coming trendy neighborhoods. I expect Artreaux Apartments to do very well there.

Crystal Towers Renovation:
Whiting-Turner is the General Contractor for this project.

Incendiary Brewing Company is opening a bar in the Fourth Street retail space in this apartment building. This new bar is expected to have different beers not offered at their power plant location.

Quote:

The public art planned for the sidewalk in front of the building... I'm starting to like this:

North State Aviation Hangar:
A new $14.9 million hangar will be constructed for North State Aviation. North State Aviation will create 325 new jobs at the airport when the project is completed.

Smith Reynolds Airport Projects:
A study being conducted, which was previously reported on here, is looking for sites to build hangars for electric vertical takeoff aircraft, helicopters or small planes. Smith Reynolds Airport was a finalist for a 1,600 job eVTOL project a few months ago. This will better position the airport for the next eVTOL company interested in the airport. The State of North Carolina is now talking about what is happening at Smith Reynolds Airport at trade shows and events for the eVTOL industry.

Off-Subject:

Video Link

Random Photographs:

Liberty Plaza ground floor retail:

An Art Deco pool room:

Your City

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 6:00 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Yes, this is one of the top three cities in economic development in its peer group.

Sir Paul McCartney is performing in Winston-Salem tonight: (Do you have tickets?)
Video Link

I was looking for a song from the 80s and something he isn't likely to perform on this tour. I don't think he has performed that song at one of his concerts in over 25 years? If you're going, enjoy the concert and enjoy Winston-Salem (if you're visiting from out-of-town)!

New Medtech U.S. Headquarters:
Icelandic med-tech company Neckcare selected downtown Winston-Salem for their United States headquarters. They selected space in a high-rise on Fifth Street. Not many details on total employment or upfit investment at this time. No incentives, that I know of, are involved. Yes, it is already completed, as you can see in the photographs below.

Credit: Greater Winston-Salem

Credit: Greater Winston-Salem

O'Hanlon Building:
Winston-Salem-based espinosaARCHITECTURE is reporting they are working on "two interesting urban projects" on "two floors" in this historic downtown Winston-Salem building. What could it be? Could this be the two floor upscale jazz club and cocktail lounge discussed at WSTB last year? If that project is happening, it could be urban, interesting, have two different uses, and use two floors of the building. I guess we shall see.

It's a great location. This building is across the street from Hotel Indigo and Merschel Park...

Merschel Park:

Speaking of Merschel Park:

The brewery is now getting shipments of hops and malt from the Moravian and Žatec regions. Winston-Salem was settled by Austrian and Czech immigrants, which is different from the other big cities in North Carolina. It was said a brewery was the first building the Moravians constructed in Winston-Salem and that was the first craft brewery and the first beer brewed in North Carolina. This brewery will make Czech-inspired beers, similar to those made in Winston-Salem during the 1700s. They want their beers to be as authentic as possible, so they are importing ingredients.

Settlers from Austria and the Czech Republic explains why Winston-Salem has a nationally respected arts history/scene and so many bars.

Javara Research Hiring - New Biotech Jobs:
In the next 12-24 months, Javara Research will hire 200 new employees. This will bring the company's employment to 400.

515 North Cherry Street:
DWSP is ready to move forward with this office space project. LMI Builders is the General Contractor for the upfit.

Not much to see right now:

Credit: dylan.blackburn

Wake Forest School of Engineering Expansion:
Work is now starting on the HVAC system for this project in downtown's IQ District.

Steel has arrived for the new science museum! Workers are using the Liberty Park construction site temporarily to stage the steel for Kaleideum. I'm guessing they will start work on Liberty Park after Kaleideum is significantly completed? Third Street is closed for construction staging, since that block of Third Street has three or four construction sites all by the same general contractor. Different developers all using the same general contractor at sites that border each other. Everyone involved said using the same general contractor at these bordering sites saved money and made construction easier.

Credit: Yu5VC98osaU

Credit downtownwinstonsalem

The first section of wall is now rising!

Credit downtownwinstonsalem

Center for Translational Research & Population Health:
Due to a recent merger, this project could grow significantly in size. Right now, the project is fully designed and fully funded, but it's on hold until the merger is approved and this project is redesigned around the newly merged healthcare company. This project will allow science discoveries in downtown Winston-Salem to be translated into medical treatments for hospitals in Chicago, Charlotte, Milwaukee, Winston-Salem, Green Bay, Macon, and metro Atlanta.

Dave McNair Mastering:
Is this project completed? It's rare to find photographs of it.

The finished mural is nice:

Hanes-Lowrance Building:
This 1920s building will be reused as an educational tech office building. The adaptive-reuse project will create 100,000 square-feet of tech office space. The space will be designed with a model classroom, allowing educators to see and use the tech in a classroom setting. Currently, the building is used by a theatre company to store costumes and props.

City Training Center:
The City has entered talks with the property owner to acquire the site for this project.

Interstate 74:

Six lanes wide (three in each direction):
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHombre @ WSTB
WFBH Eye Institute:
This building will be located on Vision Street, a new road owned by the developer. There will also be a Collaboration Street next to the Center for Translational Research & Population Health.

Credit: davieConstNC

Salem Bottling Works:
The developer is looking at possibly having a food hall on the bottom floor and office space on the top floor. The outdoor courtyard will have spaces for live music and entertainment. There is talk of a new craft beer brewery opening here. Right now, the space is still leased to its current tenant until the end of the year. The developer will take that time to design the space, seek tenants, and apply for landmarking and historic tax credits for roughly 35% of the project cost. It is worth noting: This developer wants the building's front door to be the main entrance and not the courtyard entrance. He will restore the original 1928 tile roof on the original building and preserve many of the 1949 interiors in the newer wings along the sides. Sadly, the 1960s additions were demolished a few years ago to build townhouses. According to the developer, the Coca-Cola Building once filled the entire block, as a massive bottling complex. The developer acquiring this building said he saved the building from being demolished by the townhouse and duplex developers that are filling-in every site they can acquire along that street. Thankfully, the Coca-Cola Building's owner wanted the 1928 building and 1940s wings preserved and wouldn't sell that section to the townhouse developers. They kept the original building intact and it even has a 1956 Coke vending machine. This should be a nice restoration and adaptive-reuse project!

It's still a very large building, even after the newer 1960s half of it was demolished:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHombre @ WSTB

New Hangars:

A nice rendering on the construction signage:

Credit: Forsyth County

Off-Subject:

LEED for Cities:
The U.S. Green Buildings Council rated Winston-Salem Silver on their LEED for Cities and Communities rankings. Winston-Salem had the best score in the Triad. I think this city can do better.

Forbes Best Cities to Retire:
Forbes ranked Winston-Salem one of the best cities to retire in, due to its arts, colleges, impressively large number of healthcare employees (physicians per capita), nice weather, good air quality, thriving economy, and Winston-Salem is resistant to natural disasters. Winston-Salem was described as a "cultured city of 252,000" in their description.

I would also add Winston-Salem has amazing historic neighborhoods that are often noted for their walkability. Some of them are actually tourist attractions.

Best Cities for Early Retirement:
Winston-Salem ranked 14th on Smart Asset's list of best cities for people wanting to retire early. Winston-Salem's highest score was in livability at 94.1 out of 100, which was the highest livability score of any city in the top-15.

Much of what people wanting to retire or retire at an early age are looking for is really what people of all ages want in a city.

U.S. News & World Report - Best Places to Live:
Winston-Salem is on the list of best places to live, ranked just behind Denver on the list, and is the best place to live in North Carolina's Triad region. It's said to be a top city for entrepreneurs and small businesses. To make the list, a city must be a desirable place to live, have a strong job market, a strong net migration, and a high quality of life.

Random Photographs:

Looking at the trees and dark sky, it appears as if a storm is on the way?

For those who want to see more houses:

From the 1930s:

Fish fountain in a garden designed by famous landscape architect Ellen Biddle Shipman in 1929:

House from the 1920s:

Credit: visitwinstonsalem

Your City

Last edited by Matthew; May 21, 2022 at 12:42 PM.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 7:27 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Of the nation's 100 largest cities, this is one of the top-30 fastest growing for 2021! Did you know: There are 71 companies currently considering moving to Winston-Salem. Just the city alone.

Video Link

8 W 3:
This should be a nice apartments and retail adaptive-reuse project for downtown! PMC Property Group will replace the cheap 1983 windows with replicas of the building's original 1911 windows. They also want the ground floor retail spaces to look as they did in 1911 and will replace the doors with something that appears more historic and they want operable windows in the storefronts.

Merschel Park:

Credit: selectengineering

Mayfair @ Liberty Apartments & Retail:
This stalled-out 9-storey downtown apartments and retail project is starting to see life again!

Artreaux Apartments:

Many of these apartments will have a really nice skyline view:

Skyline view to the south and Sauratown Mountains view to the north:

850 North Patterson Apartments:
The WSTB Forum is reporting Chaucer Creek Capital and DPJ Residential are preparing to partner on another roughly 250 unit apartment building in downtown Winston-Salem, just north of downtown's IQ District. Not many details at this time. It will involve the demolition of an old warehouse. I'm guessing the property is under contract?

A look at the Huntley House Hotel adaptive-reuse project at Robert Hall:

Hayco Construction and its founder have been cleared of wrongdoing. No PPP fraud charges will be filed and no charges are anticipated. The IRS found no misuse of PPP funds. I'm just guessing this condominium and retail project will now move forward? It was expected to start construction on Marshall Street this summer.

Ludlow House & Sheppard House Restorations:
Jacob Lott Ludlow was born in Spring Lake, New Jersey in 1862. He was a nationally respected Engineer who designed water and sewer projects nationwide and was a member of several national organizations. He started his engineering practice in Winston-Salem in the 1880s and grew it into one of national prominence. Did you know: He was the supervising sanitary engineer for the thirty shipyards of the U.S. Shipping Board for the South Atlantic and Gulf States. In 1924 and 1925 he was a member of the Engineering Board of Review of the Sanitary District of Chicago that wrestled with the controversies between Chicago and other communities and states over the use of water in the Great Lakes. He loved Winston-Salem and was involved in everything from parks to neighborhoods in Winston-Salem and even ran for mayor in 1913. He lived in this house for most of his life, from 1887 until his death in 1930.

An update on the 1887 Queen Anne Ludlow House restoration and reuse project:

Benjamin Sheppard moved to Winston-Salem from Richmond in 1876 and bought the property for his house in 1892. In 1904, he started the Sheppard Veneer Company. He lived in this house from 1892-1939.

This is the 1892 Sheppard House next door, being restored by the same developer:

Chaucer Creek Capital and DPJ Residential have closed on this site along Second Street in downtown and are preparing to clear the site for construction.

Interstate 74:

There are more I-74 photographs from this photographer at the WSTB Forum, if you're interested:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief_Carolina @ WSTB Forum
WFBH ED/OR/ICU Tower:

Progress update on the 15-storey tower with spire project (workers are clearing the site for the new high-rise building):

Credit: blumconstruction

The Easley Apartments:
The leasing office just opened and the first residents will begin moving-in this month. These massive apartment buildings are constructed in phases, so only part of it will be completed this month. Full completion could still be another month or two away? I'm not sure about the park and bicycle commuter cut-through path's completion date? Yes, this apartment building is so massive, cyclists complained about having to bike around it and demanded a cut-through path. They actually merged two blocks to build this apartment building and park.

Credit: livetheeasley

Leasing Office Now Open (the trees through the windows is DPJ Residential's next apartment development site):

Mail Center:

The new brewery will use a customized three-vessel brewhouse for decoction, which is a traditional Czech brewing technique. All beers will be served right off the tanks, giving you the same tasting experience as the brewer. Also look for hotdogs and food trucks when the brewery opens later this month.

An update on this downtown apartments and retail project:

Credit: link4thstreet

Our first look at the inside:

The public artwork planned for this project:

Credit: metalmorphosis.shop

Downtown Streetscape:
Work has started on implementing the master plan for this project. They are in discussions with groups such as the DOT and engineers. They expect to have this phase of the project completed by the First Quarter of 2023.

Creative Corridors:
The art selections could be finalized in June 2022?

Off-Subject:

Soundcheck:
Video Link

From the show:
Video Link

Pride Winston-Salem, Presented by Collins Aerospace:
Winston-Salem's massive, fun, and very corporate pride parade and downtown festival will be held June 18, 2022. The Pulse Vodka Mister and Miss Pride Winston-Salem pageant was held May 22 and the winners will be at the festival. You will also see them at many other Pride events in Winston-Salem throughout the year.

2021 Census Estimates:
Of the nation's 100 largest cities, Winston-Salem was one of the top 30 fastest growing for 2021. Winston-Salem grew faster than Raleigh (by %). For the first time in years, most of the people moving to Winston-Salem are moving from Charlotte and Raleigh. Usually, it's people from New York City and Pittsburgh moving to Winston-Salem. The people moving from Charlotte and Raleigh to Winston-Salem are northern transplants looking for a city that is walkable, artsy, has great older neighborhoods, is without traffic issues, and looks more northern, but has North Carolina's weather.

R.E.M. Recording New Music in Winston-Salem:
The alternative band R.E.M. is back in downtown Winston-Salem, with people seeing Mike Mills and Peter Buck around various downtown businesses. They are recording new music at Mitch Easter's Winston-Salem recording studio. So, if you are a fan of their music, look for new music soon! They recorded some of their early albums in downtown Winston-Salem in the 1980s, with Mitch Easter.

Random Photographs:

No leaves on the trees, so this is from February 2022?

Credit: bestofwinston

Credit: innovationquarter

Restaurant under construction on North Liberty Street in downtown's Arts District:

Your City

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 5:32 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Where did everybody go? It's so dark and lonely in here. Who turned-out the lights? I guess everyone is at WSTB? I'll "turn the lights back on" for visitors to the Winston-Salem Open Tennis Tournament and National Black Theatre Festival, so they can look-up what the construction sites are. Yes, I was asked to update this for visitors this week. Welcome to Winston-Salem and enjoy your visit! The National Black Theatre Festival is happening right now and this is a great time to visit! How many celebrities do you think you'll see around downtown? I think the tennis tournament is at the end of the month?

Video Link

WFBH Eye Institute:
This proposed building, in downtown's IQ District, will have 165,000 square-feet of space and two floors of underground parking in addition to the parking deck. They've had issues with visually impaired people navigating their current 1980s space at Hawthorne Hill. This new downtown building is designed to be easy to navigate for the visually impaired. They are saying this will be a six storey building (maybe seven floors with mechanical?) and should be clearly visible from I-285 / John Gold Expressway. It will actually be around eight floors in height on the eastern / I-285 elevation. The building will have four operating rooms, conference rooms, educational facilities, clinical research space, and a cafeteria that is also open to patients and their families. Did you know they receive around 600 applications from the top 10% of medical schools! They only have spaces for 60-70 students each year and residencies at Wake Forest for eye health are highly sought after! One of their problems at their current building: They can't host visiting students from other universities. This new building will allow them to do that. It will also allow them to triple in size in the number of students and faculty. It is expected to bring around 200-250 medical students to downtown, supporting downtown businesses and living downtown. The new building will have surgery simulators and will help them retain and attract the best researchers and students. It will also help them attract study sponsors that want the latest and best equipment. Research will be NIH or industry sponsored and in partnership with other research centers, nationally. If you have seen commercials for something called AREDS, that research was done at this institute. The building will have a dedicated space for clinical trials, allowing for more trials and more patients. The downtown location also allows researchers to collaborate with other researchers in downtown's Innovation Quarter.

This project will top-out this month, with completion set for early 2024. New exhibits will be announced in the fall, including a water exhibit and an engineering exhibit.

Credit: Jerry Cooper

Credit: Frank L. Blum Construction

Encore Bank has leased office space on the second floor of the Bailey South Building. Encore Bank is a privately-held boutique bank that is attempting to a set the standard for concierge banking. Interestingly, when they enter a market, they have local shareholders in that market. They want to be an innovative bank and see downtown's IQ District as a great place to be. ROCS Staffing from the Washington D.C., area has expanded into North Carolina with an office in Bailey Power Plant. They help businesses find the best college graduates to fill openings. Not many details on this lease at this time.

8 W 3 Apartments & Retail:

Credit: Jeremiah Smith

Do I see new windows being installed?

Mayfair @ Liberty - Apartments - Hotel - Retail:
The project Mayfair wants to build is mixed-use hotel / apartments / retail in about 9 floors. The project will have 21 hotel rooms/keys, 110 apartment units, and sadly I didn't write-down the square-footage of retail. No parking will be built in this development! The entire project is a little over 137,000 total square-feet. Hotel Indigo is doing very well and there has been talk of expanding the hotel. The 21 hotel rooms is an expansion of Hotel Indigo. I was told ArchStudio7 is no longer involved? RBA Group is now the architect for this project.

Liberty Park:

When completed, this will be a sensory garden park with water feature:

Credit: TgH81vO9-7I

Credit: Jeremiah Smith

Neuroscience Research Center:
It appears as if the Center for Translational and Population Health moved into Bailey Power Plant's office space, instead of constructing their own building. The proposed downtown building we thought was for them is actually a Neuroscience Research Center. Still waiting on more details. This would explain why we haven't heard more about the Center for Translational and Population Health, but we have a very detailed rendering, from Perkins & Will, for a nice building at its originally planned location.

This rendering is actually the proposed Neuroscience Research Center in downtown's IQ District:

Credit: Innovation Quarter

Merschel Park:

This is from a few weeks ago:

From mid-June:

Credit: Z5BVo_DXjp4

How in demand are apartments in downtown Winston-Salem, you may ask? This project has added a sixth floor and is now at 345 units. If built to its proposed size, it will become the largest apartment building in Winston-Salem. Keep in mind, this developer just finished an apartment building across the street from this site and they now have two more apartment buildings proposed for downtown, including this project. The earliest this project could break ground is January 2023, due to leases of the properties to be demolished for this proposed building. Completion is set for Spring 2025. The apartment size war continues in downtown Winston-Salem.

Elevations showing the addition of a sixth floor:

Stevens Center Renovation:
Posters on the WSTB Forum are reporting this project has started, with a dumpster and workers removing windows! This project will have a new architect and maybe a slightly different design, but it will be roughly the same as Robert A.M. Stern's design. Steinberg Hart of Los Angeles is now the design architect for this project. Little Diversified will also be a part of the team. Work is expected to start in the Summer 2023 on the roof and facade and this will close the building, resulting in performances moving elsewhere. Full completion is set for 2025 or 2026. We should know more about the exterior and interior changes next year.

I thought this was interesting: "The Stevens Center has played host to a range of notable events including the world premieres of Neil Simon’s “Lost in Yonkers,” winner of a Pulitzer Prize and four Tony Awards, and “Jake’s Women,” a 19-performance sellout starring Alan Alda." The last time the building was renovated, Leonard Bernstein conducted on this building's stage at a star-studded event that even featured a former president and two former first ladies. The Chris Daughtry music video September was filmed in this building. A Tony Bennett performance was posted in this thread a few years ago. They have a long list of noteworthy performances and people who walked onto this stage. There are some that weren't listed, like Elvis performing on this stage in (I think it was) 1956. The building is named for famed Broadway producer Roger L. Stevens who donated the money for its conversion into a performing arts center.

Regenerative Medicine Jobs:
An Atlanta-based company that specializes in regenerative medicine has acquired a nearly 60,000 square-foot space in Winston-Salem. Winston-Salem is the world's leading center for regenerative medicine research.

624 North Trade:

I think they are waiting on a lease before resuming work?

Some developers want a restaurant and will actually say no to other businesses interested in the space, if they aren't a restaurant. This building has a large elevated outdoor dining area proposed, so I suspect they are waiting for a large restaurant and bar?

Lofts @ Whitaker Park:
Someone at the WSTB Forum is reporting work has stopped on this apartment project? The Washington D.C., Metro-based developer is having issues with a project or two they are working on in Richmond and now maybe in Winston-Salem? We'll see what happens.

Sentinel Commons:

A lot of glass was added and that work is now completed:

Winston Lake Park Improvements: Built!
This project is now completed. A video, below, shows the improvements.

Video Link

No surprise, they found major issues with this building. I've talked about this for years. It's an 1880 building renovated in 1915 that had a roof failure for several years. These out-of-state developers always take-on the most difficult renovations.

The vanity in the box is from this developer's Even Hotel project in Charlotte (Not sure why it's in their downtown Winston-Salem project?):

Carolina University Downtown Dormitory:
Construction on this project is delayed until First Quarter 2025 at the earliest.

Again, not much visible from the outside:

I don't think any work is planned for the exterior... it's all interior renovation:

Credit: Z5BVo_DXjp4

Lesser-Known Beer Company: Built!
This adaptive-reuse craft beer brewery is now completed. However, East of Texas Restaurant is just pulling permits for their 6,750 square-foot space now. Synergy exercise/yoga studio and clothing store L’Avenue Boutique have also leased space in this development. LMI Builders will be the GC for those projects. So, the multi-space retail/office project is still under construction. Our focus is on the brewery, though. You can follow the restaurants/retail/gym tenants in this project at the WSTB Forum. This is one of the most trendy neighborhoods in Winston-Salem and this brewery only makes it more attractive. I like it when an historic building is restored and reused, too! The two owners are originally from Richmond. They searched for the perfect location in North Carolina for their brewery and found Winston-Salem. They liked Winston-Salem's relaxed feel and its size. Lesser Known Brewing is focused on under-represented beer styles and more traditional brewing, which is a new trend in the craft beer industry. These are Czech and German inspired beers. All of the ingredients are imported from there, except for the water. The brewery uses open fermentation for most of their beers, to provide a more rustic character and nuanced flavor. This brewery also removes part of the mash, boils it, and returns the hot mash, changing the sugar conversion and creating different flavors in their beer. Lesser Known also has tank pours, since every vessel the beer is in will change the beer. Don't look for any live music or an in-house restaurant. They are about socializing and enjoying good beer. So, they don't have any TVs or trivia nights and offer temporary storage of your phone to remove distractions. And that tells you want kind of place this brewery is. You can socialize and enjoy beer in their indoor tasting room or one of two patios, with one of those patios covered. Look for a hotdog cart to open soon at the patio. Keep in mind: They have a neighboring restaurant and will have food trucks. They will rotate their beer selection and offer seasonal beers. Be sure to visit Lesser Known Brewing Company on your next trip to Winston-Salem!

These photographs are from the last week of construction and the "soft opening" for friends and family. More recent photographs show this place with a large crowd. So, it must be good. Try it on your next visit!

Credit: latent_designs

East of Texas Restaurant Space:

Inside the space to become East of Texas Restaurant:

It should be interesting to see what Claire Calvin does with that space.

New Biotech Jobs:
A Luxembourg-based biotech company has signed a lease for roughly 10,000 square-feet of additional office space at the Chamber Building, on Fourth Street in downtown's Restaurant Row.

Hanes Park Sports Facilities:

Work starts on new football stadium:
Video Link

Veterans Nursing Home:
The State Veterans Nursing Home project is delayed, due to material shortages and the need to make corrections. Construction should be completed at the end of the month, with a Certificate of Occupancy possibly in September? Completion and a grand opening are scheduled for Fall 2022.

This image is several weeks old, but shows the side visible from I-285:

Credit: AxjcrElM-BQ

An aerial view with the Applachian Mountains in the background:

Credit: meEWw6y9ZMo

Nucor Steel Mill:
According to one article in the TBJ, this is now under construction. However, another article in the TBJ says Nucor won't start until September, with 18-24 months of construction until completion. Maybe they started clearing the site and will start on the actual building in September?

The event space has a tin ceiling and a 1920s mahogany Art Deco bar from one of Al Capone’s hangouts in Michigan. Their outdoor space will be called "The Garden at Robert Hall" and will host the Art Nouveau Winston-Salem Social, when it opens.

The 1920s Art Deco bar Al Capone frequently visited is part of a venue called Capone’s.

The wall separating the craft beer brewery from the hotel events space:

Credit: preservationforsyth

You may remember this was a neon sign factory (one of the southeast's largest neon sign companies!) and had several vintage signs from Winston-Salem's past. Yes, they are restoring them and reusing them in the building! This is a sign museum for the city.

Preserved vintage Winston Steam Laundry sign reused in the building:

You can see the modern conduit connecting it to electricity, so it will be lit when they finish with it:

Another restored neon sign being prepared for installation - Does anyone remember any of these places:

This building will feature an obstetrics emergency department (OBED), which will be the first in Triad region. In addition to this new building, there are plans to build a new central energy plant.

This will be an amazing park when they finish! It's planned as a regional tourist attraction. Every year, they announce a new attraction to be constructed here.

Credit: 00R1-0j4yBg

An aerial view of the future play area, challenge course, stairs, and BOOM Observation Pier:

Aerial view of construction site, BOOM Observation Pier, bluffs, and the deep water:

Panorama:

McCreary Football Complex:
Completion is set for early 2023, capping $110 million in capital investments that give Wake Forest University an on-campus football infrastructure that is second-to-none.

Kimel Park:

New office space for Digestive Health and Piedmont Retina:

Credit: landmarkbuildersinc

Merged Biotech Company to be Headquarted in Winston-Salem:
ProKidney, a regenerative medicine company, has completed a $600 million merger with a Bay Area company. The merged company will be headquartered in Winston-Salem and will trade on the NASDAQ stock exchange under PROK. The company is in Phase II clinical trials of its cell therapy REACT. Some patients are now dialysis-free. The cell therapy takes a patient’s own renal cells and grows and purifies them outside the body (regenerative medicine) before returning them to the patient’s own kidney in a minimally invasive procedure. Winston-Salem is the world's leading center for regenerative medicine.

Artreaux Apartments:
This downtown apartment building, townhouse development, and co-working space project will include murals and artwork. It will also have a ground-floor game room; a two-story coworking lounge with a mezzanine demonstration kitchen and coffee bar; and a terrace with a fire pit, overlooking the pool courtyard, will connect directly to the mezzanine. Residents will also have access to a linear pet park and pet spa.

Work has started on the townhouses, as seen in the first photograph from SpikedCoffee at the WSTB Forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikedCoffee @ WSTB Forum

Credit: Artie Sparrow

More Med-tech Jobs:
The State of North Carolina approved a Building Reuse Grant to Cathtek to expand their headquarters. They will double in size by expanding in their current building and acquiring a second building. Cathtek will more than double their employment at their Winston-Salem headquarters.

The Legacy Apartments:

Truist Stadium Upgrades:
Walter Robbs was hired as the project architect. Improvements include adding private locker rooms for female coaches, staff, and umpires; laundry, equipment, and commissary upgrades to the home team clubhouse; a larger visiting team clubhouse with upgrades to the commissary, shower & toilet facilities, training room, coaches' locker room, and a separate office for the visiting manager; changes to the bullpen mounds; changes to the wall height in the right field corner; improved field drainage; a lighting review; and adding a second enclosed hitting/pitching tunnel. Since the baseball team's office space, across the street from the ballpark, will be demolished for a new apartment building, the team is requesting office space and outfield restrooms to be constructed at the downtown ballpark. The team will pay for the office space and outfield restrooms. The other improvements will be paid for using $5 million in limited obligation bonds.

WFBH ED/OR/ICU Tower:
Brasfield & Gorrie is ready to start on the foundation, which will make this 12-15 storey building with spire the tallest building under construction in the Triad region. A construction set is expected at the end of the month. According to CEO Julie Ann Freischlag, “This new, world-class facility will allow us to enhance our clinical capabilities and provide leading-edge educational and research opportunities to help improve trauma and emergency care in our region and across the country.” The Wake Forest University School of Medicine in Winston-Salem, led by Dr. Julie Freischlag, will be the academic core of a combined entity consisting of more than 150,000 caregivers and staff, 67 hospitals, and 1000 sites of care in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Illinois, and Wisconsin.

Credit: TBJ

923 North Liberty Apartments:
This project is now confirmed by the developer. DPJ Residential will develop 275 apartment units at Liberty Street and 8th Street (MLK), between downtown's IQ District and Industry Hill neighborhoods, not far from the city's bicycle superhighway system (Long Branch Extension). Amenities will include a saltwater pool, fitness center, EV charging, and a pet spa. Construction is planned to start in Summer 2023, with completion around Fall 2025. D. Porter Jones, of developer DPJ Residential, said to the TBJ: "Winston-Salem's population growth trends and expected job growth indicate that despite the addition of several downtown communities in the past decade, the inventory of apartments in downtown Winston-Salem will not meet demand in four years, the length of time it takes for his projects to progress from planning to expected occupancy."

Is that a pressed-tin ceiling?

The business moving into that retail space has a great location... WOW!

Metropolitan Mixed-use:
Atrium Health has leased the office space in this mixed-use apartments/retail/office development, located on Fourth Street near downtown's IQ District.

A different rendering:

Credit: Hayco Construction

Cone Health Welden Village:
Cone Health is building a new healthcare facility in Weldon Village mixed-use development. Yes, more healthcare jobs. Completion is set for Summer 2023.

Tucker's Tap Yard:
Workers are installing the bar equipment and the pup turf. This is a described as a downtown dog park and bar, along with dog boarding facilities. It actually has both indoor and outdoor bars. You can drink and let your dog run and have fun.

Credit: tuckerstapyard

Egger North American Headquarters:
Egger has applied for construction permits to build another building at their campus. The company is preparing to introduce new products in the North American market this fall.

Wake Forest University Projects:
A construction update on Bostwick and Johnson Halls from the general contractor!

Department of Defense Virus Research:
The Institute of Regenerative Medicine in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District was awarded $36 million from the Department of Defense's DTRA (Defense Threat Reduction Agency) for virus research. The money will be used to establish a research and development program to study how a virus will infect humans using the institute's body-on-a-chip, artificial intelligence, and machine learning. Dr. Anthony Atala said “The body-on-a-chip is an ideal platform for probing the ways in which a virus can infect specific human organs and tissues. Coming off the pandemic, you realize how important these systems can be for our future.” If I try to keep it short: They will infect mini-organiods on a chip that simulate the human body and study what happens and what different treatments/medicines do. I'm not a scientist or researcher, so keep that in mind. Posting on Winston-Salem, you have to learn about regenerative medicine and what is happening in downtown's IQ District. It's generating much of the boom being posted in this thread.

A custom-made reception desk:

Credit: sunnysidemillwork

This is the Brennan Investment Group spec building:

Credit: landmarkbuildersinc

Apartment Leasing is Strong in Downtown Winston-Salem:
Someone at the WSTB Forum is reporting downtown Winston-Salem apartments are 95% leased, even with the recently completed and nearing completion apartment buildings starting their leasing. This explains why there are so many new apartment buildings and conversions proposed and under construction. It also explains why so many of them want to scale-up their projects. There are developers from multiple states developing new apartments in downtown Winston-Salem right now.

The Easley Apartments: Built!
This downtown apartments project is now completed. However, the park is still a dirt lot with no sign of anything happening there and they haven't started on the bike commuter shortcut. Maybe we should call the apartment building completed and show the park as a separate project? Yes, the apartment building is completed! The building's pool is open, you can see the observation deck for the ballpark, and this project has Class 1 Bicycle Storage in the hallway of every floor! Nice! Their building is leasing so fast, they have announced two more downtown apartment buildings and even asked to scale-up one of them by another floor! Yes, downtown is booming with apartments!

The park and bicycle commuter shortcut are still just a dirt lot, waiting on construction to start:

Reynolda House Museum of Art Restoration:
The Ludowici Roof Tile Company has awarded this project their "Commercial Historic Renovation Project of the Year" and this project also won the "Robert James Award for Preservation Excellence."

Kernersville Medical Center Expansion:

Adding a floor to the roof:

Sparq New Venture & Small Business Launch Pad:
I thought this downtown tech startup office project was built, but I'm still finding construction photographs of it? Maybe the office is open, but they are still working on it?

First Baptist Church Restoration:
The original 1920s Art Deco chandelier is currently under restoration. If you look-up, you'll see it's not there.

These apartments are now leasing, if you're interested. The public art sculpture, the developer is helping to pay for, will be installed in August 2022.

Credit: piedmonttriadliving

Installing Signage:

6th floor amenity area:

LED Backlit Street Number (501 West Fourth Street):

Most of these buildings have a parking deck in the middle... this one has parking under the building and a pool in the middle:

Here you can see a sign with an arrow for the underground parking entrance (very unusual for these buildings):

Renderings of what these spaces will look like:

Most recent photograph (notice the architectural lighting):

This is also a recent photograph:

A good look at the ground floor of the building:
Video Link

Elizabeth City State University at Smith Reynolds Airport:
AeroX and Elizabeth City State University have created an aviation degree program that will be based at Smith Reynolds Airport. It will be a part of the university's Aviation Science and Unmanned Aircraft Systems degree program. It will be a four-year aviation science degree. The university would like to have 100 students this fall in the degree program from a projected 10-county region. Elizabeth City State University's Chancellor is a Winston-Salem native and is excited to be a part of this. AeroX's David Mounts said “AeroX is creating America’s first urban air mobility system that will attract companies and create technology jobs, while Piedmont Flight Training and ECSU are preparing students for aviation careers." AeroX received $5 million in State funding to develop a low-altitude air traffic control system at Smith Reynolds Airport in Winston-Salem. They are working with Elizabeth City State University on this project. AeroX is also working to create a national model ecosystem for advanced air mobility and a UAS technologies testbed in Winston-Salem for startups and established companies.

Creative Corridors:
A proposal by Winston-Salem-based Elephant in the Room was selected for the artwork along the bike and pedestrian path. It's visible from the path, the bridges, and the highway. It includes a 40 foot / 12.2 metre tall dandelion near the ballpark, seeds and other related items across the highway, and bouquets of dandelions on the Church Street Bridge. This project is waiting on NCDOT approval and the City Engineer's approval. The artist is proposing to create more of these dandelions for various parks around the city. Viator Design & Construction will do the fabrication work.

Off-Subject:

2022 Winston-Salem Cycling Classic:
Grocery chain Lidl signed a sponsorship to allow Gears & Guitars Downtown Cycling Music Festival to be FREE on Saturday night! Enjoy free live music on Saturday night from Tonic and Better Than Ezra at Bailey Park in downtown's IQ District, following both amateur and professional criterium bicycle races around the same park. Also, look for Flow's Streets of Fire bicycle drag racing sprints on Fourth Street's Restaurant Row, with live music from bands Dawes and Crenshaw Pentecostal during the event. Sunday will feature multiple Fondo rides that are open to anyone with a bicycle. Sunday will also have a kids bike rodeo and a family bicycle parade with live music at downtown's Bailey Park from multiple bands.

Video Link

UNCSA School of Drama Ranked 4th Best:
The Hollywood Reporter, in their list of the "Top 25 Drama Schools in the World" has ranked UNCSA in Winston-Salem 4th best in the world! UNCSA is also ranked 3rd best Bachelor of Fine Arts programs on their list.

Video Link

Video Link

A Third Baseball Team:
Yes, Winston-Salem now has three minor league baseball teams. Be sure to watch the Winston-Salem Moravians this Summer! Also, remember to see the Disco Turkeys and Dash baseball teams. Support for minor league baseball must be really strong in Winston-Salem!

Regenerative Medicine News:
Dr. Anthony Atala received the 2022 Jacobson Innovation Award from the American College of Surgeons for his work in Regenerative Medicine. It honors surgeons who are innovators of new techniques or developments in surgery.

Celebrities Moving to Winston-Salem:
Award-winning poet Brenda Marie Osbey is moving to Winston-Salem later this summer.

Winston-Salem native and Grammy Award-winning producer 9th Wonder is moving back to his hometown of Winston-Salem and will teach classes on the History of Hip Hop and take part in arts and education events in the Winston-Salem community.

Winston-Salem State University Cheerleaders in Music Video:

Yes, those are the Winston-Salem State University Cheerleaders and they are credited at the end:
Video Link

Top 50 Best Pizzerias in the United States:
Mission Pizza Napoletana in downtown Winston-Salem's Arts District is ranked 24th on the list of the Top 50 Pizzerias in the U.S.,. It is the only pizzeria from the Carolinas to make the list. 50 Top Pizza has over 1,000 anonymous inspectors to search for the best pizza. The restaurants are scored by the quality of pizza dough and topping ingredients, with careful consideration of customer service, wine, and beverage lists. This pizza restaurant is regarded as one of the best in the nation and is on many top pizza restaurant lists. If you visit Winston-Salem, you should try it. It even has a walk-up window on the sidewalk.

Random Photographs:

Video Link

Downtown Sunday Market, in the alley behind Liberty Plaza:

Credit: Zachary McCraw

Your City

Last edited by Matthew; Aug 1, 2022 at 5:42 AM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 6:11 PM

Thanks for the update...

I don't post any new content on this forum because I don't make it to my hometown of W-S very often anymore and when I do I don't have time to take photos of new development happening downtown. But I do visit this page regularly. I know how much work these updates take and want to thank you for doing them!

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 2:05 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Thank you for getting updated with this thread and thank you to the many others out there also visiting this thread for their updates or sending others here to get updated. I know about being far away. I have no connection to this city. I'm not from it, didn't go to school there, I have friends there and that is it. The thread must use found photographs, since I'm so far from this city (I'm in suburban Atlanta). Sadly, people aren't sharing as many construction photographs as they once did. Even architects and construction companies are more focused on their employee events, new hires, and holidays than sharing their projects. A few have stopped sharing anything. Thank you to those who do share construction updates. I don't make any money from this. I'm guessing this is good publicity for apartment developers and businesses that do share with us? I would like to see everyone developing downtown do well.

Video Link

This project topped-out on August 18.

Credit: NzQrHKJvg4U

Credit: Gb2WyNzsMLo

Credit: Kaleideum

View along Third Street:

Credit: Kaleideum

American Nano Science Building:
Developer, Investors Title Insurance, is building a nanoscience building for American Nano Science, in Winston-Salem. Hayco is the general contractor and North State Design Group is the architect for this project. No word on how many employees they plan to hire? I think this is a new company to Winston-Salem, so depending on how many workers transfer to Winston-Salem, there could be a good number of new jobs with this project?

Merschel Park:

Credit: sametcorp

Credit: cjmw_architecture

The cut-and-cover tunnel with utilities suspended above:

Construction fence and windows removed for (guessing) the buck hoist:

Where the buck hoist (construction elevator) could be installed:

Credit: Jerry Cooper

Biotech News & Jobs:
Regenerative medicine company RTT Medical has moved to downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District. They make regenerative tissue technologies for the management of wounds. They are best known for XCelliStem Wound Powder.

500 West 5th:
According to someone at the WSTB Forum, Parry Restaurant Group of Lynchburg, VA., has leased the restaurant space and started construction. They own restaurants in all of the big Virginia cities. Winston-Salem's metro area borders Virginia, so it's a good expansion market. Parry Restaurant Group described the new restaurant as the "finest regional meats and seafood alongside a carefully curated wine list."

Restaurant Space Rendering:

Credit: Parry Restaurant Group

Restaurant Rendering:

Credit: Parry Restaurant Group

AlphaBEST Headquarters:
This fall, AlphaBEST will move their headquarters and tech operations from Virginia to downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District. They have acquired a former church building and will move 25 employees into that building by this fall, with room to grow. AlphaBEST provides instruction in coding, engineering, robotics, art, drama, Spanish language, Mandarin language, sign language, fitness and sports activities in partnership with school systems. The company said “There’s a vibrant technology workforce and community that we will have the ability to connect with through this move.”

Hanes Park Sports Facilities:

A new football stadium under construction:

New Bank Jobs:
Office leases are still happening! Comerica Bank has signed a lease for office space in the 101 Building. They are starting an aggressive expansion into North Carolina. Interestingly, their CEO is originally from Winston-Salem.

Artreaux Apartments:
An update from the WSTB Forum on this apartments, townhouses, parking deck, art gallery, and co-working space project.

Quote:

Older photographs from the general contractor:

Older photograph showing the skyline view above the apartment building (These apartments will have a nice skyline view):

Salem Cohousing:
This is a new proposal for communal living. It is designed to address housing affordability issues in Winston-Salem.

The developer for this project is about to close on funding to start construction.

West Salem Art Hotel: Built!
This project in Winston-Salem's trendy West Salem Neighborhood is now completed.

Credit: Tegan Rae

A new mural painted on one of their buildings (it's a vintage postcard):

492 West End Blvd:
An update on the Remedy Coffee House & Bar. This is a coffee/wine/beer establishment started by a movie and TV actor. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0420792/

Yes, it's a 1920s neighborhood retail storefront:

Credit: theremedyws

It was a pharmacy and apartments in Winston-Salem's West End Neighborhood when it first opened:

This building did have a tower on the corner, but I'm guessing it was removed for safety reasons?

Hatch Headquarters:
We aren't really following this project, but I like seeing these tech company offices. They converted space in a 1960s former bank building, on downtown's Courthouse Square, into their new headquarters. The old bank that previously leased this space renovated the building's interior around 1989 and the tech company saved some of those 1989 PoMo details, like the columns. I don't think the 1989 columns look good with the tech company's modern interior. It seems out-of-place and 1989 is not really old enough to preserve, in my opinion. A semiconductor company has also leased space in this building for their headquarters, but I don't have photographs of that project.

You can see the 1989 columns from the former bank lobby incorporated into the tech company's modern design:

More of the 1989 columns they saved from the former bank lobby in the 1960s building:

The original 1960s bank vault... the tech company appears to be using it for storage?

The plate on the door reads: Built by Diebold Incorporated Canton.

A rare conversion to office space. Nationally, we don't see many conversions to office space these days. Interestingly, Winston-Salem has two or three projects that are converting old buildings to office space. This adaptive-reuse project looks good, but I think it needs more windows. It's not eligible for the National Register of Historic Places, so they could've cut more windows into it.

Lofts @ Whitaker Park:
This multi-building development will have a bowling alley, rooftop clubhouse with mountain and skyline views, and a pool. The first residents of these apartments will move-in around February or March 2023.

Credit: C. A. Harrison Companies

Credit: C. A. Harrison Companies

Sparq New Venture & Small Business Launch Pad:

Metropolitan Mixed-use:
The developer is working on easements and was also granted the right to close a section of Metropolitan Drive, between Third and Fifth streets.

Wake Forest University Projects:

250 West First Street:
Developer Adam Spear / Spear Group is the developer for this project. Still waiting on more details.

This project is across the street from Artreaux Apartments' construction site.

Quote:

Challenge Course Construction:

Credit: mYfhVKpxvJY

Interstate 74:

You can see work has started on the blade sign for this building:

Construction starting on another building:

Frank L. Blum Construction and W.C. Construction were selected as the GC for this project's $30 million first phase. They will work on the roof and terracotta issues, water intrusion issues, HVAC, and the building's fire suppression system.

WFBH ED/OR/ICU Tower:
A 12-15 storey building with a possible spire (according to early renderings) will rise at this construction site, soon.

Tanglewood Championship Course Clubhouse:
We finally have a rendering for this project! Stitch Design Shop and Kuo Diedrich Chi Architects are the architects and Samet is the general contractor. This new clubhouse building will replace an outdated building with major structural issues that was designed for the 1974 PGA Championship when it was in Winston-Salem. Lee Trevino beat Jack Nicklaus by one stroke and Sam Snead finished third... yes, that was a long time ago. This course and clubhouse were also used for The Vantage Championship. They have already renovated the Championship Course and now they are replacing the clubhouse. Yes, the new clubhouse will be designed so they can host a PGA pro event in the future. They have hired one of the top clubhouse and resort architecture firms to design this.

Credit: Kuo Diedrich Chi Architects

Tucker's Tap Yard: Built!
This downtown off-leash dog park and bar is now completed! The soft opening was August 2 and the grand opening was August 13. This is an off-leash dog park and bar, with both indoor and outdoor spaces for your dog, as well as indoor and outdoor bars. The indoor space is air conditioned. They have space for dog birthday birthday parties, if you're interested. You must be 21 and your dog is required to have a membership. Guests as young as 16 are allowed. There are yard rangers to keep the area clean and be sure the dogs are well behaved, but they do expect you to clean-up after your dog. If you want to clean your dog, they have dog baths with everything supplied. The bars have 12 taps of craft beer from different breweries in downtown Winston-Salem. Most of the beer is made within two miles or less of Tucker's Tap Yard. They also have wine, cocktails, and beer in bottles and cans. Look for food trucks and a "pawdicures" truck to trim your dog's nails. Tucker's Tap Yard will host dog charity and adoption events, too.

Notice the "T" pattern on the wallpaper:

The first two floors (of six total) are now completed and people have started moving-in. Workers started installation of the sculpture on August 24, according to Spangenberg at the WSTB Forum. The official dedication of the sculpture is set for today (September 1).

Brandon inspecting the now completed second floor:

The first resident moving-in to their new apartment (Yes, you can join him and lease here today!):

Yes, it has a pool in the middle, with parking under the building:

Signage Installation:

Sculpture Installation:

The City of Winston-Salem was awarded a $6 million federal RAISE grant for this project, which will extend this bike and walking path from downtown to the airport. It will also construct part of the rail transit system project, which will run parallel to this path. The bike and walking path part of the project will cost nearly $9 million. The remaining amount will be paid by the City. According to Senator Kathy Manning, there are over 27,000 jobs in downtown Winston-Salem. This bike path and future rail transit line will use an inactive railroad corridor as a greenway and rail transit line, separated from car traffic, to improve safety for users and reduce vehicle emissions by increasing walking and bicycle trips and future rail transit trips when that part of the project gains funding and is built. Senator Manning said “Residents in the impacted neighborhoods are twice as likely to commute by bicycling or walking and four times as likely to commute by public transportation compared with other Winston-Salem residents."

WSSU - Bike Friendly:
Winston-Salem State University is seeking the bicycle friendly university designation from The League of American Bicyclists. According to The League of American Bicyclists "Many colleges and universities have built upon these good conditions and embraced the enthusiasm for more bicycle-friendly campuses by incorporating bike share programs, bike co-ops, clubs, bicycling education classes and policies to promote bicycling as a preferred means of transportation. With the goal to build on this momentum and inspire more action to build healthy, sustainable and livable institutions of higher education, The League created the Bicycle Friendly University program. The Bicycle Friendly University program evaluates applicants’ efforts to promote bicycling in five primary areas: engineering, encouragement, education, enforcement and evaluation/planning, known as the Five E's. The BFU program provides the roadmap and technical assistance to create great campuses for cycling." Winston-Salem State University is near two or three major city bicycle routes that connect to major destinations with grade-separated paths and minimal automobile crossings. One of the paths is next to a waterway and another is near a downtown-area waterfall. It's a great location for a bicycle-friendly university campus.

Downtown Streetscape:
All of the poles are fabricated and in, but supply chain issues (bolts) are still causing issues for this project and continue to delay it. First and Second Street contractors are preparing for milling. Resurfacing will start this month and take two or three months. First and Second streets should be completed by the end of Winter. On Liberty and Main streets, they are trying to secure poles and other items to speed-up construction on these two streets. Work could start on Liberty and Main street in Spring or Summer 2023. These are big improvements in pedestrian safety and should slow traffic through downtown.

L-Line Bike Path:
There is an effort to talk Norfolk Southern into allowing the City of Winston-Salem to convert the L-Line into a bicycle and walking path. It would connect the downtown, West End, West Highlands, and Buena Vista neighborhoods, along with other bike major paths, to the region's major mall, a large hospital campus, and other shopping destinations. The L-Line isn't currently in use by Norfolk Southern Railroad and could become a major bike path for the city, if the railroad allows it.

Winston-Salem to Fayetteville Express Bus:
The North Carolina Department of Transportation has created a new express bus transit route connecting downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District (innovation district) to an under construction EV battery factory, a proposed semiconductor factory, a future EV automotive factory, and Fayetteville State University. Yes, this is the Winston-Salem to Fayetteville Carolina Core that is heavily promoted by the State. The express bus is currently running every day, including Sundays, and seeing impressive ridership. You can easily transfer from WSTA Bus or PART Bus or Amtrack Rail to this new service on Fifth Street in downtown Winston-Salem.

Off-Subject:

UNCSA a Top-10 Film School:
The Hollywood Reporter ranked UNCSA as one of the top-10 film schools in the United States. The Hollywood Reporter said UNCSA “offered the best chance of navigating Hollywood’s changing terrain.” They also like the new Anthology Production Lab that focuses on creating episodic series and spoke of TV writer and producer Emily Spivey, known for “Wine Country,” “Last Man on Earth,” and “Saturday Night Live,” who is teaching Acting for Animators this fall and teaching different workshops.

MovieMaker also included UNCSA on its list of the best film schools in the United States and Canada and spoke of UNCSA's "outstanding producer training."

National Museum and Library Services Board:
Allison Perkins, executive director of Reynolda House Museum of American Art in Winston-Salem, was appointed to the National Museum and Library Services Board. She is one of 11 people on the board that advises the Institute of Museum and Library Services on policies and helps select National Medal recipients.

2022 Winston-Salem Cycling Classic:
This downtown bicycle racing event will be held September 9-11 and will also include a large multi-day rock music festival for cyclists, called Gears & Guitars. It's one of the biggest cycling parties in North America and usually brings large crowds and international competitors to downtown Winston-Salem.

Fiesta 2022 is also scheduled for that weekend, so downtown should be packed! Downtown will also have North Carolina's largest festival of books later this month, which is an awesome festival. As we enter the last month of summer, enjoy the many downtown festivals before winter arrives!

2022 ATP Winston-Salem Open:

Singles Winner: Adrian Mannarino (France)
Doubles Winners: Matthew Ebden (Australia) Jamie Murray (United Kingdom)

I've heard the players love the unique Moravian Star trophies from this event.

Forbes: Wake Forest University is Top Employer in N.C.,:
Wake Forest University was ranked the #1 employer in North Carolina, by Forbes magazine.

In celebrity news: Actress Brooke Shields' daughter, Rowan Henchy, is a student at Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem.

NCRLA Chef Showdown:
The North Carolina Restaurant & Lodging Association's Chef Showdown awarded David Bowen of The Ginger Fox, on downtown Winston-Salem's Restaurant Row, their Mixologist of the Year award. Broad Branch Distillery, in downtown Winston-Salem's Arts District, was named Distillery of the Year. The Chef Showdown is the largest culinary and cocktail contest in North Carolina. Lynn Minges, NCRLA CEO, said “Chef Showdown has become the place to showcase the incredible talent of the North Carolina hospitality industry." The next time you're on Fourth Street or Trade Street in downtown Winston-Salem, be sure to visit the winners!

Rainbow Rave LGBTQ+ Electronic Music Festival:
If you're looking for something fun in downtown Winston-Salem, try the Rainbow Rave - I Dream of You electronic music festival on Saturday, September 17. It will be in Bailey Park and features immersive art exhibits, a vendor area, outdoor bar, food trucks, and DJs from Winston-Salem, other parts of North Carolina, and a few DJs from other states. It is all LGBTQ+, including the food trucks. You will have to buy tickets.

Tickets: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/rainbow...s-400835518827

Random Photographs:

Video Link

Credit: 155129130@N07

Hidden dive bar in downtown Winston-Salem (You have to go into a downtown business to reach the entrance to this basement bar!):

Credit: bestofwinston

Break Dancing (I do get to post on the state's fun city):

Credit: oSU6Ca9xnb8

There are random dancers and performers in the parks and around downtown.

Credit: oSU6Ca9xnb8

Your City

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 4:21 AM
Fourth and Main

I'm just posting one this week...

200 West First Mixed-use:
Developer Davidson Craven has proposed constructing a 20-storey mixed-use building at the southwest corner of First and Liberty streets. STITCH Design Shop is the architect for this project. The building will have a parking deck and that parking deck will replace the office building with structural issues at 250 West First Street. Notice the parking deck is connected to the 20-storey building using a skybridge over the bike path. This development will have a green roof, if the green roof survives value-engineering. It also has a nice retail podium with rooftop pool for residents. The top floor penthouse has very high ceilings. They are also trying to attract a craft beer brewery to the retail podium of the building. As you can see, it connects directly to the city's bike highways and bike path system and is between Corpening Plaza Watergarden & Park and the under construction Oliver Park. It should be around +/-250 feet | +/-76 metres in height.

20-storey mixed-use building with retail podium and parking deck at 200 West First Street:

That parking deck 20-storey building will be the first thing people see from Salem Parkway / U.S. 421 as they drive through downtown. This is the last site bordering Corpening Plaza Watergardens & Park and this building will have the park's waterfall view!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2022, 2:51 AM

That’s a great looking building (minus the parking garage).

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 5:46 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

I'm guessing the low elevation is the reason 200 West First is designed with a parking deck? I seem to remember old maps show a stream directly under the site, which explains why the site drops so low in that area. Some of those downtown streams and waterways are in underground culverts (part of the tunnel system). Winston-Salem is a water everywhere city.

I haven't posted a big multi-project update since September 1, so this will be a massive update and you'll see nearly seven weeks of construction progress at some sites!

Video Link

Fireproofing sprayed on the steel:

Credit: bigg dog

Framing for the cladding:

Credit: Brayn Lewis

Credit: Zach McCraw

This is an old photograph, from August, with this quote: (the largest beam our shop has ever fabricated. A W40x593 at 58’+)

Credit: Ian Mincey (Engineered Steel Products)

WFBH Eye Institute:
The Eye Institute, planned for downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District, has now scaled-up to a 184,000 square-foot, $120 million project, with construction set to start in 2023.

500 West 5th:

Another rendering of the under construction restaurant on the ground floor:

Credit: downtowngrillews

New Headquarters:
Guidecraft is moving their corporate headquarters here from New Jersey. They expect to create around 30 new jobs in addition to the people moving here from New Jersey. Guidecraft is a toy and furniture company. Their relocation should be completed by the middle of this month. No incentives are involved.

Second Street Park & Cycling Cut-through:

A larger apartment building (Second & Brookstown) is proposed between the two apartment buildings in this photograph:

Credit: Wake Wagner

Concrete work seems to be completed, as of 9/6:

Credit: WFDD

Rise of the Rest:
Steve Case, who wrote the book Rise of the Rest on the emergence of non-traditional startup cities (startup clusters outside Silicon Valley, NYC, and Boston) and has a startup fund for startups in non-traditional startup cities, has selected Winston-Salem's Unbox the Dress as one of ten "Startups to Watch." Unbox the Dress has expanded several times recently and is hiring. They have outgrown their Fourth Street office space in downtown's Restaurant Row and are now in a much larger space in Winston-Salem.

The view from the park construction site:

Credit: Bryan Lewis

The Railyard:
The proposed Boxyard development is now called The Railyard. This is the proposed shipping container development with restaurants, retail, and entertainment, to be located in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District. Maybe this will increase the chances this becomes something original/unique to downtown Winston-Salem and not a branded chain development.

Metropolitan Mixed-use:
This mixed-use project broke ground on September 22. The Maya Angelou Center for Health Equity has leased space in this development and Atrium Health, one of the nation's largest health care systems, is a financial investor in the project. It includes apartments, co-working space, a startup incubator, conference space, office space, and space for a healthcare tenant. The project is being designed for entrepreneurs and remote or hybrid workers. Developer Jaron Norman of Liberty Atlantic Group said “This is about workforce empowerment, about entrepreneur empowerment, and making sure we can provide a sort of a one-stop-shop - that benefits not just the folks in the community but the businesses and the overall Innovation Quarter ecosystem (Downtown's IQ District). That is truly based on entrepreneurship and innovation.” This project continues to scale-up and is currently in talks with the City for streetscape improvements. The first phase's cost is now up to $65 million. When all phases are completed, this should be another $100+ million project, so it is a significant project. Atrium Health has not announced how much money they have invested in this mixed-use project. Pinnacle Bank is also an investor in the project. Completion of the first phase is set for April 2024. I guess we can now add this to our construction list.

Ground Breaking:

Maya Angelou Center for Health Equity:

Veterans Nursing Home: Built!
The State of North Carolina has reported this project as built, so I will remove it from our list. Sadly, no completion photographs.

I looked it up on Google (this is dated last year) and it's a multi-building significant development:

Credit: GSV

I didn't know it was that big!

Merschel Park:

Credit: 146mIjFrg1I

Construction site on the right:

Credit: AeUiKco5Od8

Notice the concrete forms for the kinetic sculpture's round landscaped pedestal:
Quote:
MIMEDX leases at Bailey Power Plant:
Biologics / life science company MIMEDX has signed a lease at Bailey Power Plant in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District. They have over 800 employees and are a pioneering company in tissue engineering and want to be a part of Winston-Salem's fast growing regenerative medicine cluster.

We have an opening date for the Liberty Street storefront tenant! Cibo Trattoria will open on the ground floor, at Nationwide Marketing Headquarters, in First Quarter 2023. As the locals know, this restaurant is moving from a smaller downtown space to a much larger downtown space. If you want to know what will happen to their current space: The restaurant's owners will open a new restaurant concept in that location. Will this be the completion of this mixed-use office/retail project? I guess we shall see.

The park shelter that burned will be replaced with an historically accurate design and materials, when the park's current phase is completed. That phase should be completed this month? They have detailed drawings and photographs to replicate it. After an investigation, no one seems to know what happened to it?

200 West First Street Mixed-use:

A look at the site for this proposed 20-storey mixed-use building:

This is the tallest of the two buildings to be demolished for the 20-storey mixed-use building and parking deck:

Ivy Court Townhouses:
Developer STC Properties has acquired land and has approval in downtown's Industry Hill Neighborhood to construct 40 townhouses. This developer is known for adaptive-reuse and missing-middle housing. These townhouses will be located on 10th Street, next to the Rails-to-Trails Bicycle Commuter Highway Expansion, which will have future rail transit. This is being constructed in the Downtown Entertainment District and it has zoning that allows for loud music and partying late into the night. Something to keep in mind, as you consider buying one of these. Also worth noting: This site was previously the Union Grove Cemetery. The graves were relocated in the 1950s, but the developer must keep a close watch on the construction site. It shows how hot the downtown Winston-Salem housing market is. This is a great project to follow around Hallowe'en. What will they find when they start digging?

Our first look inside:

Those big columns are the original 1911 columns from the old bank lobby:

Credit: unknown

The bank converted the tall lobby into two floors during a renovation, to gain more room. While it added a floor to the building's total floors, it cost the building a beautiful tall lobby with these columns and that ceiling. I doubt the apartment developer (PMC Property Group) will remove that floor, since it allows for more apartment units.

Shallow Ford Historic Site:
The State of North Carolina has purchased 246 acres for this project, which will create "a major site for canoe camping, canoe access, and passive outdoor recreation along the Yadkin River paddle trail" in Forsyth County. It is one of the best preserved sites of a river ford on the Great Philadelphia Wagon Road. Did you know: Lord Charles Cornwallis led his British troops across this site at the Yadkin River in February 1781.

Dynamis Estate Wines: Built!
Dynamis Estate Wines is the newest winery in metro Winston-Salem's Yadkin Valley AVA. They are located in a beautiful Brushy Mountains location, on 1,500 acres. The geology of the mountain, drainage, elevation, low humidity, mountain breezes, and the rocky soil on their property create high quality wines, which can cost around $100+ a bottle. They make a sauvignon blanc (French style, with malolactic fermentation and aging in concrete), merlot (stainless-steel fermentation, aged in new French oak), free-run cabernet sauvignon (fermented in oak vats), a rose made with malbec, a sparkling wine from chardonnay and two California-style red blends. Join their wine club, which starts at $500 a year. Their wines have done well in side-by-side tastings with highly coveted California wines. This appears to be a good must visit the next time you're in the Winston-Salem area.

Video Link

Shaffner House Hotel:
Kelli Elliott will open The Founders Restaurant at Shaffner Inn. The opening is scheduled for October 2022.

Moravian Coffee House & Taproom with Hotel:
The Moravian Book & Gift Shop could become a coffee house and taproom on the ground floor and hotel rooms on the upper two floors of the 1867 building. Interestingly, this building was once used by Indera Mills as a textile mill. It became a downtown bookstore in 1977 with colonial-themed gifts.

923 North Liberty Apartments:

This building is being cleared-out and has a date with the wrecking ball - It will be replaced by a massive new downtown apartment building:

Golf course upgrades will be presented to City Council in the next three-to-six months. Maybe "Winston Lake Park Improvements" will reappear on our project list, with a new phase of work, soon?

The developer is seeking historic tax credits for this project and that may delay the project? They are actually creating a multi-building historic district to gain the tax credits and this will qualify other downtown buildings for historic tax credits.

Credit: 146mIjFrg1I

Granville Park Renovation:
This park renovation should start construction in the next one-to-three months.

It appears as if site demolition is completed or near completion?

Credit: industryhillwsnc

Towne Lake Commons:
This is a massive development of townhouses, apartments, and duplexes, around a 4 acre lake. The developer is Frank Ascott of TRG Capital LLC and the architect is Tate Architecture. The first phase has 291 multifamily units, with completion set for 2024. The second phase will have townhouses, with completion set for Fall 2023. Amenities include a trail around the lake, with benches, a gazebo, picnic areas, and a dog park. The development will also include an HOA and coffee shop.

One of the existing buildings at the site:

Interstate 74:

Credit: BGUodaUFgxM

Credit: VvyZCc0CngI

Sentinel Commons:
Work is starting to add a storefront on Spruce Street. They will clad the storefront in the same aluminum panels seen on the northern end of the building. Also, look for landscaping improvements.

Credit: Nurse Kat

Winston Underground:
This is one of the first new projects announced due to the expansion of the Rails-to-Trails Bicycle Commuter Highway project and its proposed rail transit line. Winston Underground is an adaptive-reuse project for creative entrepreneurs and a launch space for startups. An old warehouse, built in 1920, was acquired along the path and future rail transit line, with plans to seek historic tax credits. Alliance Architecture will be the architect for the project and RDG Acquisitions is the developer. This space will also include a 20,000 square-foot indoor retail market and it will have co-working space, in addition to a makerspace with small rentable (flexible 3 month terms) industrial startup spaces for creatives. The space is temperature controlled, has workspace for kitting & fulfilling orders, all needed equipment and people who can help you learn how to use it, and daily pickups for UPS, USPS, and FedEx. When you outgrow your garage, you can move to this space to make things and sell them in the market. The developers are in talks with Raleigh-based The Loading Dock, so this will be very similar to that, but with a few other uses added. Construction is scheduled to start in 2023. No completion date at this time?

Credit: Algenon Cash

Hanes Park Phase II:
This project should be completed this month, if there are no weather delays?

Krispy Kreme Mix Plant Renovation:
Since this company is so famous and loved, I thought I would report on this project. Krispy Kreme is renovating their mix plant on Ivy Avenue and moving jobs from Iowa to this Winston-Salem building. Litwin Construction is the General Contractor and it appears to be a significant renovation. I doubt we will find any photographs to follow this, so I'm not adding it to our project list.

Base Camp is the newest tenant to open at Robert Hall. They are a business incubator, located in the office space part of the development.

This part of the project (The Vault) appears to be completed:

New chairs at Al Capone’s bar:

A 1941 cash register:

A new mural at the mixed-use complex:

Credit: jksincorporated

The schools and big headquarters that built Winston-Salem:

Winston-Salem was once North Carolina's corporate headquarters, manufacturing, and banking powerhouse, producing most of the State's tax revenue:

Artreaux Apartments:
I think the parking deck is completed. Work continues on the townhouses, apartment building, and co-working space.

Apartment Building:

Credit: Mark

Townhouses:

Quote:

NASCAR All-Star Race:
North Wilkesboro Speedway was recently restored enough to host racing events again, after years of abandonment. Those events were so popular, fans asked NASCAR to return to the track and NASCAR listened. North Wilkesboro Speedway will host the 2023 NASCAR All-Star Race on May 21, 2023. They are still in the process of restoring and modernizing the 1946 track, but it should be ready in time for the big event. Some of the grandstands had to be demolished and I've heard capacity could be a third of what it was when it last hosted a NASCAR race. So, buy your tickets early! Even at reduced capacity, this should be great news for hotels and tourist attractions in the Winston-Salem / Yadkin River Valley area. From downtown Winston-Salem, take Salem Parkway west and the track is on the highway. You'll see it towering above the highway.

Novant Health Forsyth Medical Center Renovation:

New Interstate Highway:
Forsyth, Yadkin, and Wilkes counties have formally asked the State of North Carolina to seek Interstate designation for Salem Parkway / U.S. 421. Yes, it's the highway connecting downtown Winston-Salem to the North Wilkesboro Speedway in the news above. This likely won't happen in time for the NASCAR All-Star Race, but the counties are starting the process.

Work on this phase of the park should be completed this month.

The coolest "new-construction" picnic shelter I've ever seen in a city park:

Dr. Caryl Guth Women's Basketball Clubhouse: Built!
It's completed, but sadly, no photographs of the completed clubhouse. The dedication was more focused on speakers and donors.

Chris Paul Basketball Clubhouse: Built!
This project is now completed and ready for the ACC basketball season!

Credit: walterrobbsarchitects

Credit: lightroomgirl

WFBH ED/OR/ICU Tower:
We should see the tower crane next month. An interesting fact: They are recycling 95% of debris, reducing landfill waste.

New Rendering - They will build half of it by 2026 and add five or six more floors in the future... they also added a park:

Credit: Atrium Health

An older image of the construction:

Newer construction update - 9/29:

Nissen Wagon Works Mixed-use:
The owner of the building is bringing-on a partner and plans to convert 96,300 square-feet of this historic wagon and horse-drawn carriage factory into a mixed-use project centered on co-warehousing. It would provide flexibility for small businesses to grow their warehousing needs as their business grows. It would also have a food truck commissary, a cafe, makerspace, co-working space, and outdoor performance space. Yes, they do plan to preserve the original 1834 star smokestack.

492 West End Blvd:
Thanks to Fam Brownlee, we now know more about this building! This building was completed in 1927 as Mary Elizabeth Apartments, with Summit Street Pharmacy as the ground floor tenant in January 1928. It originally had two towers, one on each corner, until they were removed in the 1960s.

Someone should restore it to its original appearance:

The Remedy would like to open their space in the building in early November 2022. They are renovating the space as a place where you can read a book and sit by the fire or have a beer across from the park. They will have craft coffee, local beer & wine, baked goods, specialty waffles, artisan sandwiches, and charcuterie boards. I haven't seen an update on the apartments in over a year? Maybe that part of the renovation is completed? The retail space should be 100% filled by the end of this year.

The completed project will be retail and apartments:

Accelerate NC — Life Sciences Manufacturing:
Three local colleges (including Forsyth Tech and Winston-Salem State University) have partnered with the N.C. Biotechnology Center for a $25 million federal grant for economic development, as part of the Build Back Better Challenge. They will assist life science manufacturing clusters through expanding, connecting and promoting training and career opportunities to under-served and distressed communities, including historically excluded populations. Governor Roy Cooper said it "will boost our economy and strengthen our workforce for years to come.” Bill Bullock, NCBiotech SVP, said "it will take our state’s life sciences manufacturing capability to the next level." Amgen, Biogen, Novo Nordisk, and Pfizer have agreed to match the funds.

Ziehl-Abegg North American Headquarters:
German Company Ziehl-Abegg will move their North American Headquarters and 200 jobs from another city to Winston-Salem. They will also create 600 new jobs as part of the headquarters project, making this an 800 job North American headquarters. This project does require incentives from the City, County, and State.

Design work for the trellis bridge should be completed in Fall 2022 and sent for bid.

Barcelona Burger installed their sign a day or two before Gears & Guitars. They are planning to open in the first week of December. This place has everything from rotisserie chicken to hotdogs, along with 20 craft beer taps and wine. They were voted as having the best burger in the state. Interestingly, the building's developer talked them into opening here. For those who don't know, this developer won't just lease these two floors of retail spaces to anyone. He is picking the tenants he wants and has said no to a few tenants interested in leasing here.

New signage:

Credit: thebarcelonaburgerbar

TW Garner Campus:
This phase of the project is now completed. The new building is used for storing raw materials and has office space. The company expects to build other buildings on the 33-acre campus, next to the airport, and this building is designed for expansion, with that expansion already in planning. They have a need for 600,000 square-feet of new space. Their Texas Pete Hot Sauce brand is growing so fast they need a large campus to expand. As a result of their expansions, they expect to add more jobs.

A look inside the new building:

Credit: frontstreetcapital

An update on this conversion to office space (I still think they should've added more windows):

Credit: DavieConstNC

A look at the financial company's office space:

Yes, it has parking under the building and a pool in the middle:

An old photograph - Another look at the pool in the middle, from the skyscraper behind it:

The pool with the skyscraper in the background (yes, the skyscraper is on the same lot as the apartments):

Looking down on the pool in the middle:

Linear dog park amenity (a dog park in an alley/laneway between the two buildings):

The top floor amenity level:

The top floor amenity level in October 2022:

An old interior photograph:

Elevators:

The view:

Signage:

Credit: realsmithmcneill

Credit: gearsandguitarsfest

Awesome light fixture made from bicycle parts in the bike storage and repair space:

The exterior lights are now installed and working... and wow! It looks great at night:

Credit: WFDD

The Sculpture:
Video Link

Quote:

Design for the eastern-half of this project is completed and will go out to bid this fall. Construction is expected to start in the Spring. As for the western-half, their consultant started work on the project in August (2022) and the design will be completed in 16 months. The western-half will start as the eastern-half finishes. Both the eastern and western segments are fully funded and ready-to-go.

Skating the few completed sections:

Downtown Streetscape:
On MLK, Duke Energy is still working on the lighting design. Landscape design can't start until the lighting design is completed. The design phase should be completed by early-2023.

Design completion is set for Summer 2024, with construction starting in Fall 2024. Completion is set for Fall 2025.

Off-Subject:

Yes, this in the Winston-Salem metro area:
Video Link

Video Link

Bookmarks Book Festival 2022:

Video Link

Neil Degrasse Tyson talking at 2022 Bookmarks Festival:

Credit: bookmarksnc

2022 Queer Fear Film Festival:
The Queer Fear Film Festival is back with in-person screenings at A/perture Cinema in downtown Winston-Salem. This is the only all-LGBTQ+ horror film festival in the South. It showcases, supports, and celebrates queer horror film creators in the South. Films in this year's festival are from around the world and not just the South, so this is an international film festival. The film festival is October 21-23, at A/perture Cinema, on Fourth Street in downtown Winston-Salem. Filmmaker Tim Connolly will be at A/perture Cinema at 4 p.m., on October 22.

Winston-Salem - A Model City to Study:
Chapel Hill-Carrboro (part of the Raleigh-Durham metro area) will tour downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District on October 24, 2022, to look for life science economic development ideas and study public-private partnerships.

Video Link

Gears & Guitars 2022:
Winston-Salem is home to the nation's top sport cycling event. It's also known as the top sport cycling city in the U.S.,. Over the years, this has transformed into a massive multi-day party of everything music, food, beer, and bicycles. It attracts the world's top cyclists to compete and also have fun. You can spot celebrities, meet people from around the world, and even take part in cycling events. They will also add special international competitions and/or something that seems crazy. This year it was "Streets of Fire" bicycle drag racing on downtown's Fourth Street (Restaurant Row). All of these events are rain or shine, with cyclists competing at high speed in the rain, if it does rain. They take-over the entire downtown. It is my favorite downtown festival. One of the competitions has national touring bands performing on stage as cyclists circle the stage and crowd, competing in USA Cycling events. There is nothing else like it.

And now... "The Biggest Party on Two Wheels"

This event even has its own beer:

Credit: incendiarybrew

Yes, competing right at the restaurants and apartments in downtown's IQ District, as people look-on:

Credit: smittydeac

Multiple stages of live music around downtown:

Credit: smittydeac

Yes, in the rain!

Credit: jasonthiel

A few of the winners:

Competitors' perspective:
Video Link

Video Link

Random Photographs:

Fiesta 2022 (in the rain):

Credit: open_arms_community

This colorful laneway / alley actually leads to an LGBTQ+ bar and an outdoor drag competition space

Credit: unknown

One of the new bike & pedestrian bridges lit on the downtown skyline:

Colonial architecture:

The remains of what was once Hurricane Ian:

Credit: IceHombre @ WSTB Forum

9-11 (Twin Towers of Light):

Credit: rileydaggett_photography

Credit: jasonthiel

A house from 1832 in Winston-Salem:

A building constructed in 1794 in Winston-Salem:

Your City

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 4:30 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Happy 9th Birthday, Winston-Salem SSP Update!

According to Zumper, Winston-Salem had the nation's second-largest increase in apartment rent prices. That is why we are seeing so many new apartment proposals and so many outside developers in this city. And yes, the luxury apartments lease very quickly. The renters are young professionals, which favors smaller units, with great amenities, in the downtown area. However, Winston-Salem also had the highest single-family-home price increase in North Carolina, which shows how popular this city is as a place to move to! This is an exciting time to post on Winston-Salem!

Video Link

Merschel Park:

Quote:

A rooftop deck is planned for this project as a resident amenity.

Historic 1911 building in the center of the photograph:

Credit: mikejohnsonphoto

Credit: aiawinstonsalem

Credit: keoverberg

Our first look inside!

Credit: juliashaehess

Using QR Codes to view what the building will look like, in 360, on the phone:

Credit: aiawinstonsalem

A view from the rooftop amphitheatre:

View from rooftop playground and educational exhibit area:

Credit: keoverberg

4th and Green Apartments & Retail:
Developer, Brown Investment Properties, closed on the site and they now have financing in place. Work could start in the new year!

Second Street Park & Cycling Cut-through:
This park and bicycle shortcut path is almost completed! The apartment developer is required to build the park by the City and the cycling short-cut path is from an agreement between the developer and bicycle commuters to merge two blocks for their apartment building.

From 11/9:

Regenerative Medicine News:
Regenerative medicine company ProKidney raised $596.5 million in the third quarter. They are a public company, traded on Nasdaq, that uses a patient’s own cells to stabilize or improve kidney function.

Huntley House Hotel at Robert Hall - A look at the transformation:

Notice the original historic windows are always the first to go:

I'm thankful they renovated this old building. I just wish they would've keep the original windows or found close replacements. Preservation Forsyth could've helped with this. They were going for an historic look, but can't get that look now with those modern windows. Also, the architect designed the building with those windows. It was a major part of the design.

The Garden:

The Garden:

Capone's Bar:

Crystal Towers Renovation:
Steele Group Architects will be the architect for this project. Work is about to begin on the lobby of this mid-century modern building and they will update the kitchens.

Artreaux Apartments:
Residents will start moving-in around March 2023.

Credit: Harold K. Jordan & Co.

Metropolitan Mixed-use:
APG Capital is also an investor in this large mixed-use development. The latest reports show this project with 324 apartments.

1001:
As you can tell, work has stopped on this project, but they expect to restart in December, with completion set for January 2024. This 1924 building once had an anti-gravity lab and was an early research center for field physics!

Work completed so far:

Credit: SBER

New Elementary School:
Land at 18th and Liberty streets was acquired to build a new Ashley Elementary School. Walter Robbs will be the architect and a construction set is expected by Fall 2023. This project could be included in a November 2024 bond referendum. The project is interesting because they are discussing this as a mixed-use project that could include health care and other uses.

Credit: 9T3qWUjsDqU

New U.S. Headquarters:
Sweden's Phase Holographic Imaging has opened their U.S. headquarters in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District. They are developing non-invasive technology for cell quality control in the field of regenerative medicine at their new Winston-Salem location. Winston-Salem is the world's leading center for regenerative medicine.

Brookhyrst Apartments:
This is the proposed DPJ Residential apartment building at Second & Brookstown. The TBJ is reporting it will have 337 units.

Credit: DPJ Residential

624 North Trade:
LMI Builders is preparing to start work on facade renovation. This building is expected to become a bar.

Oliver Cycling Park:

Not much visible progress on this project, since the last time we saw it:

Credit: Keith Stone

Nucor Steel Mill:
Nucor has closed on the 229.66 acre site for their new $350 million steel mill. They have already hired all of the key leadership positions for the new steel mill.

1007 South Marshall:
This is a $14 million project to convert a 1940 Greyhound Bus Repair Shop into a Fresh Food Hub & Retail Space project. Schematic drawings are completed, remediation is finished, and they have tax credits for the project, so they will restore it to its 1940 appearance. Plans also include adding solar panels to the roof. In January (2023) they expect to have construction drawings, completion of the core and shell, and will seek City approval to start work. Bidding could begin in February, with construction starting in March 2023. Completion is scheduled for late-Summer 2023.

I see stairs... Is that a second floor?

Work completed so far:

Interstate 74:
A new seven mile segment recently opened, on November 7, 2022. The State held a big ceremony to open it. A rare chance to safely stand in the middle of a six-lane mainline Interstate and give a speech. Worth a laugh: Political officials moved their cars around in an attempt to be the first to drive on it after the ribbon cutting, but two cars drove past the tent, ribbon, and speakers to become the first and second to drive on it, ahead of the politicians. They told everyone it was opening on November 7th and I guess those two cars drove-around the cones to use it without knowing they had to wait for a political ribbon cutting?

HWY 2022-11-07 Winston-Salem-4 by NCDOT, on Flickr

HWY 2022-11-07 Winston-Salem-10 by NCDOT, on Flickr

HWY 2022-11-07 Winston-Salem-16 by NCDOT, on Flickr

A nice skyline view at the 20 seconds mark and a few mountain views:
Video Link

The next segment to open is at the end of the video and they said it will open next summer, though the State TIP has that opening as October 17, 2023. The last segment will open in 2026, completing the Interstate 74 project in the Winston-Salem MSA and providing another link for Winston-Salem to the Midwest and Southeast Coast.

The events center is now called the Newell Events Center.

I guess this is the new two-storey open-air pavilion?

Credit: sheryllong

Yes, that is inside the city limits of Winston-Salem and this city is very beautiful! Though most think the Yadkin River is the main drinking water source for Winston-Salem, I've heard this lake is actually Winston-Salem's main drinking water source. I think Wake Forest University Crew (rowing team) also uses this lake? It's a popular lake for rowing/crew.

This building was the site of the first sit-in victory. I found a news story on the sit-in movement in Winston-Salem, from February 23, 1960.

Video Link

Winston-Salem was the first southern city to integrate its lunch counters.

Commercial Finance Building:
Mayfair Street Partners has purchased 623 North Liberty Street for an adaptive-reuse project. The former insurance company office building qualifies for historic tax credits.

East Tower:
This building is 327,174 square-feet and is now called East Tower.

Credit: WFMY TV 2

Carolina University Downtown Dormitory:
Carolina University is now preparing to reuse the existing building for downtown student apartments. Meadowlark Developers is the adaptive-reuse developer.

East of Texas:
Easy Talk cocktail bar, a live music venue, and an Airbnb join East of Texas Restaurant and Lesser-Known Beer Company as the newest tenants in this development, in one of Winston-Salem's most trendy historic neighborhoods. East of Texas Restaurant has a special wood-fire smoker to cook brisket, Tri-Tip steak, chicken, and salmon. They are currently installing it. The owner of the restaurant moved to Winston-Salem from Texas and wants to bring the food she loved in Texas to Winston-Salem. Lesser-Known Beer Company (craft beer brewery) has already opened in the development and is the project's anchor tenant.

The house in the background was built in 1782:

The Lab:
The Lab is a safe and experimental space for LGBTQIA+ and BIPOC artists/creatives to show their work, collaborate, experiment, and meet other artists in downtown Winston-Salem. It is designed for underground and emerging artists. The Lab will open with spoken-word performer Lové Skylar, dancer Amaya Burnett, musician Sam Salmeron, and many more.

An update on this financial company's headquarters expansion.

ECSU Airport Campus:
The University System of North Carolina and ECSU are planning a new campus at Smith Reynolds Airport in Winston-Salem. The new campus will offer a four-year aviation science degree and start with 100 students. AeroX and ECSU are the developers and Walter Robbs is the architect for this project. As you can see, this is next to the Woodruff Aviation College and the two schools plan to work together. They are still working on the final details of that plan to work together. It's interesting to see Smith Reynolds Airport become a hub of higher education.

Credit: AeroX

1913 Lord & Burnham Conservatory Restoration:
The Reynolda Gardens Conservatory, designed by Lord & Burnham in 1913, will be restored to its original condition. This is the large glass structure on the edge of the gardens.

The Legacy Apartments:

We haven't seen an update on this project in a long time!

Credit: 3VjR4QKBLPo

Credit: mZNApYsGfcg

492 West End Blvd:

Yes, a TV and Film actor owns the building and this business and is building this:

Silicon Valley-based A Society is the newest office space tenant at Bailey Power Plant, in downtown's IQ District. They moved into Bailey Power Plant last month. The company is described as: "the consulting company of tomorrow that matches the most skilled IT-and Tech consultants with the most attractive clients. Many of our large customers are in the following business areas: Aerospace and Defense, Bank & Insurance, ICT/Telecom, Automotive, Public sector, Retail and Life Science."

A lot of bars in walking distance, if you like to drink your night away...

New mural across the street:

Downtown Streetscape:
First and Second streets, west of Broad Street, will open to two-way traffic shortly after the Thanksgiving holiday (possibly next week?). The sections east of Broad Street will open to two-way traffic in January 2023. This is expected to improve pedestrian circulation and slow automobile traffic in downtown and the surrounding neighborhoods. Right now, they are finishing the new lane markings, sign installation, and signal work.

Creative Corridors:
The City will provide a match to seek a federal planning grant and should know if it received that grant in early-2023. This planning grant will help the City in their attempt to gain a Reconnecting Communities Grant for the Third Street, Fourth Street, and Fifth Street bridges over the proposed Interstate 285 project through downtown's IQ District. As you know, Winston-Salem is redesigning all of its downtown highway bridges, as well as rebuilding the highways themselves to be more attractive, and adding enhanced pedestrian and bicycle infrastructure. There is some talk of building a highway cap over this stretch of Interstate 285, when construction begins on that project. Could this be the beginning of that park project? Very exciting!

Off-Subject:

Red Daisy Festival:
Downtown Winston-Salem will host the Red Daisy Festival on March 3rd and 4th, with Blue Grass & Americana music and street vendors. It's a festival to remember the life of Doc Watson and raise money for Moorehead School for the Blind. Billy Strings will perform in the coliseum, which can seat a larger crowd.

Doc Watson performing in downtown Winston-Salem over 22 years ago:
Video Link

Winston-Salem Home Prices Continue to Rise:
Home prices continue to rise in Winston-Salem, according to Zillow. Rising 8.7% over the past six months, which is the 16th highest price increase among the nation's 100 largest metro areas. That is also the biggest price increase of any metro area in North Carolina. Prices aren't going down in Winston-Salem. They are projected to continue rising. Much of this due to people wanting to move to Winston-Salem and a housing shortage in the metro area. In October 2022, the average days a house stays on the market in Winston-Salem is only 8 days!

Random Photographs:

A carriage ride down Fourth Street...

Buildings from the 1700s and early-1800s near downtown Winston-Salem:

New Mural:

A cold morning...

Two-storey retail development, constructed in 1913:

Winston-Salem was the largest city in the Carolinas in the Roaring 20s and loves that part of its history, as seen at this apartment building:

Credit: investorfriendlyagentnc

Credit: scottybanks

Your City

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations