HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
I agree this is a great project, and very interesting one at that.

What's sad though is the Philly Development group is going crazy about this project because of the

"Cutdown of trees on the lot"

"View from the sidewalk of UC is blocked"

"This building pushes working class people out the city"

And another comment I always see on all new development posts about high-rises is

"Who is filling up these buildings, a majority of them are empty so who's occupying them?"

Do people in that group live in Philly or have they never left their 1 mile radius from their home?
I might need to reactivate my facebook account to talk shit to these bozos. Holy hell is our city cursed by morons.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 1:51 PM
Chris

Quote:

What's sad though is the Philly Development group is going crazy about this project because of the

And another comment I always see on all new development posts about high-rises is

"Who is filling up these buildings, a majority of them are empty so who's occupying them?"

Do people in that group live in Philly or have they never left their 1 mile radius from their home?
You may have seen my rebuttal comments Then. That group is a disaster of misery and idiocy.

The "pushing working class people out of the city" is a classic, I don't respond because no complainers have been able to share reasonable / reliable studies proving it.

The bold is my favorite. Myself and others have shared stats about the low rental vacancy rates in Great Center City, yet real data makes their heads explode. There is demand to build high-end housing in Philadelphia and people move here for many reasons. But the idea of Philadelphia growing and upper middle class folks moving here goes against the odd agenda of that group, therefore facts don't matter... You would think the Progressive crowd would be more welcoming of change?...

A nice poster on another forum brought up a point that the odd NIMBY/Progressive crowd in Chicago asks the same questions "who is moving here?", so at least it's not a Philadelphia specific idiotic question, I used to think it was.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 2:11 PM

Also while we're talking about space, I asked about how much was leased at Arthaus. They didn't give an exact number, but people have already moved in and they said they're getting a lot more attention now that the building is done. They've even had people immediately want a condo during the tours. I too would make that choice if I had enough, it's really well done inside

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 2:12 PM

Do all these complainers actually think that banks and developers are pouring millions of dollars to build projects that will sit empty? As if they think up projects without doing any due diligence to ensure that there's sufficient demand for them to accomplish the one single thing that banks and developers care about - to make a profit.

And even if these buildings sit empty (which is just a preposterous idea), wtf difference does it make to them how well a building sells?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 4:29 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
You may have seen my rebuttal comments Then. That group is a disaster of misery and idiocy.

The "pushing working class people out of the city" is a classic, I don't respond because no complainers have been able to share reasonable / reliable studies proving it.

The bold is my favorite. Myself and others have shared stats about the low rental vacancy rates in Great Center City, yet real data makes their heads explode. There is demand to build high-end housing in Philadelphia and people move here for many reasons. But the idea of Philadelphia growing and upper middle class folks moving here goes against the odd agenda of that group, therefore facts don't matter... You would think the Progressive crowd would be more welcoming of change?...

A nice poster on another forum brought up a point that the odd NIMBY/Progressive crowd in Chicago asks the same questions "who is moving here?", so at least it's not a Philadelphia specific idiotic question, I used to think it was.
I knew that was someone from here, I thought it was Mcgrath for a while.

I don't know where they get that from maybe watching too much news? and sadly that group isn't anything close to progressive, majority of that group is NIMBY in YIMBY clothing.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 4:36 PM

Quote:

It's really unbelievable LOL. Who would honestly rather the site stay the way it is???

How is this development pushing working class people out of the city? It's replacing absolutely nothing. No housing was demolished to build this. Do people really not comprehend how this works? If there's a demand for housing, you build housing, or it WILL push working class people out of the city.

Do people really think they just build things for the hell of it? No demand at all. We don't need to make any money here!!! Let's just throw $200M straight down the drain..... they're OBVIOUSLY being filled or no one would be building anything. Last I saw, the occupancy rate in Philadelphia was 96%.... it's inched down a little from 97% last year but STILL... that's INCREDIBLY tight. Most booming southern markets are about 93-94% occupancy... so yes, these buildings are being filled pretty rapidly.

That's why I try to never read comments ever... so many hateful people. So many people with literally no clue at all, but they think they have a clue. So many people whom never get out there and experience the world.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 2:30 PM

20220927_093034 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/132227479@N05/]/url], on Flickr
20220927_093031 by , on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 2:34 PM

Oh boy...

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 2:40 PM

This site gives me NYC vibes. It's a very odd lot and frankly, I always thought this green strip was a City-owned right of way. You really only see these types of lots developed in NYC (at least in the US) where land is so scarce/valuable. Very excited to see this one rise.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 3:17 PM
Chris

This looks like it's moving quick with ground work / prep.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 4:08 PM

This bad boy is basically being built on grade, right? I.e., no excavation for underground parking floors, etc. The presence of what appears to be a drilling rig and a mobile crane in Mikieman's photos would mean that they're about to start installing caissons/foundation piers, and this thing should start rising fairly quickly.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 4:39 PM

I had always thought that they have to demolish the remains of the Chinese Wall to build on the flat surface that's level with the Schuylkill River Trail. Then it would be built just like Riverwalk

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
I had always thought that they have to demolish the remains of the Chinese Wall to build on the flat surface that's level with the Schuylkill River Trail. Then it would be built just like Riverwalk
Could be, but it's pretty clear to me that that's a caisson drilling rig and a mobile crane on the site, so maybe they'll work on both simultaneously? Not knowing exactly what Chinese Wall remnants are left, I don't know if that makes any sense.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 5:53 PM

Whoa! Amazing! Once we see caissons/rebar, this one is a go!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikieman View Post
20220927_093034 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/132227479@N05/]/url], on Flickr
20220927_093031 by , on Flickr
Holy cow this went from zero to moving quick so fast. I love it! I agree the lot gives me big NYC vibes.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 2:59 PM

nevermind.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 4:48 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^^
Zero to HERO! This is very good!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 7:29 PM

This is going to be fantastic to walk down one day. Along with adding the pedestrian bridge for arch street to 30th street.
Now only if the peco lots can be developed and along with more pedestrian space in the area.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 5:12 PM

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 5:17 PM

I'd love to see more detailed plans for the lower part of this project. It seems to me that they have to demo the area on which the equipment now sits, and build from the 23rd street level on up (as I recall that there will be at least some parking on the ground level).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction