HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 9:07 PM

I understand that a lot of homeless ppl who've been offered shelter in places like Seattle or Portland end up going back out on the street....various squatters reportedly don't like the restrictions of traditional society. So this isn't just so much an issue of not enough money or donations, as much as it's a problem of culture & politics.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
that youtuber recently did a few walking tours of other areas, such as around mid wilshire near Hancock park...the la brea tar pits, etc. He pointed out all the vacant store fronts & seemed to imply that LA remains in a post Covid funk. Publicity about crime, squatter camps, smells of piss & feces, etc, throughout any city is bound to not help people's mood.
That part of Wilshire was never really "vibrant" as far as storefronts/restaurants since I've been in LA. It's a office district with some museums. It never had interesting bars, stores, etc. On the weekend you'd see more tourists
but it was never considered to be a prime walkable area here or for locals to hang out in. Office districts are usuallly boring, and post covid, they're really bland.

all the interesting stuff is blocks north on 3rd, fairfax, melrose, beverly, etc etc.

The new subway will revitalize it but that dont try to pretend that area was bustling before covid.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 11:19 PM

Quote:
that youtuber recently did a few walking tours of other areas, such as around mid wilshire near Hancock park...the la brea tar pits, etc. He pointed out all the vacant store fronts & seemed to imply that LA remains in a post Covid funk. Publicity about crime, squatter camps, smells of piss & feces, etc, throughout any city is bound to not help people's mood.
There's youtube videos about that in prime manhattan. empty storefronts everywhere/leases. I'm not going to paste them all because whats the point of it?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 11:20 PM
Never Dell

Quote:
I understand that a lot of homeless ppl who've been offered shelter in places like Seattle or Portland end up going back out on the street....various squatters reportedly don't like the restrictions of traditional society. So this isn't just so much an issue of not enough money or donations, as much as it's a problem of culture & politics.
Yes, but with both shelters and long-term housing, the offer will bring a substantial percentage of takers. My understanding is most have been offered shelter space at some point, but not permanent homes. Every time a new building opens, or a hotel is converted to supportive housing, it fills up right away.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 1:32 AM

^ Various cities throughout the US since early 2020 have gone through a dry spell....an erosion due to a combination of the pandemic & political, cultural & economic trends. As for the homeless, various ppl camping on sidewalks & the sides of fwys apparently really do prefer being outside on their own. For mainstream ppl, that's hard to believe. But mental illness & severe drug or alcohol addiction do a number on the human mind.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
It for sure had something to do with it. Even by March 2021, SD defied the bans on indoor dining and restaurants were hosting indoor dining while cops turned a blind eye. I remember restaurants in the Gaslamp, Coronado etc. were busy with patrons. People were going to gyms, a lot of bars were open (granted with seating being distanced). My SF friends would state how proud they were at not having gone to a restaurant for a whole year, just for comparison's sake.

Let's just be honest--the most liberal and progressive cities shot themselves in the foot, whereas the more red/conservative cities got back to normal way faster and are thriving now.
San Diego is by no means a conservative city any longer. We have a Democratic mayor and the City Council now has 9 Democrats and 0 Republicans. And I don't recall San Diego being a Florida-like refuge from Covid restrictions during the pandemic. Things got shut down in San Diego just as they did elsewhere in California in late 2020 and early 2021 during the height of the Delta Covid surge. Gyms were closed, restaurants were closed, just as they were in other areas of the state with extensive Covid spread. In-person learning in the San Diego city schools restarted about the same time as it did in the LA schools. In general, the State of California determined the schedule for reopening on a county-wide basis depending on the reduction in new Covid cases. Were the police turning a blind eye to restaurants that stayed open despite the order to shut down? I suppose that's possible, but it may have more to do with San Diego's very small police force not having the personnel available to do comprehensive enforcement. But I don't recall seeing any open restaurants or bars in my neighborhood at the height of the Delta surge.

I agree that the article is a bit disingenuous in claiming that Downtown's San Diego relatively quick recovery from Covid is due to civic foresight. If you don't have a lot of downtown office jobs to begin with, the shift to work from home is going to have less of an impact. San Diego city leaders have traditionally sought to bolster tourism and entertainment downtown with investments in the Padres ballpark and an ever expanding convention center. They've done much less to encourage other kinds of employment. It's only recently that there has been much movement on bringing tech jobs downtown. There are a lot of people who live downtown and commute to tech and other white collar jobs in the northern part of the city. It would make sense to have more of those kinds of jobs downtown so people didn't need to make the long commute on the 5 or 805 freeways.

The article also talks about a diverse downtown economy based on tourism, entertainment, education and healthcare. I'm wondering what they have in mind for education and healthcare employment, apart from the community college and a very small law school. I think that the original assessment that the article has a lot of fluff is pretty much on target.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromSD View Post
San Diego is by no means a conservative city any longer. We have a Democratic mayor and the City Council now has 9 Democrats and 0 Republicans. And I don't recall San Diego being a Florida-like refuge from Covid restrictions during the pandemic. Things got shut down in San Diego just as they did elsewhere in California in late 2020 and early 2021 during the height of the Delta Covid surge. Gyms were closed, restaurants were closed, just as they were in other areas of the state with extensive Covid spread. In-person learning in the San Diego city schools restarted about the same time as it did in the LA schools. In general, the State of California determined the schedule for reopening on a county-wide basis depending on the reduction in new Covid cases. Were the police turning a blind eye to restaurants that stayed open despite the order to shut down? I suppose that's possible, but it may have more to do with San Diego's very small police force not having the personnel available to do comprehensive enforcement. But I don't recall seeing any open restaurants or bars in my neighborhood at the height of the Delta surge.

I agree that the article is a bit disingenuous in claiming that Downtown's San Diego relatively quick recovery from Covid is due to civic foresight. If you don't have a lot of downtown office jobs to begin with, the shift to work from home is going to have less of an impact. San Diego city leaders have traditionally sought to bolster tourism and entertainment downtown with investments in the Padres ballpark and an ever expanding convention center. They've done much less to encourage other kinds of employment. It's only recently that there has been much movement on bringing tech jobs downtown. There are a lot of people who live downtown and commute to tech and other white collar jobs in the northern part of the city. It would make sense to have more of those kinds of jobs downtown so people didn't need to make the long commute on the 5 or 805 freeways.

The article also talks about a diverse downtown economy based on tourism, entertainment, education and healthcare. I'm wondering what they have in mind for education and healthcare employment, apart from the community college and a very small law school. I think that the original assessment that the article has a lot of fluff is pretty much on target.
I was meaning this all relatively. I'm from SD originally, living in LA now though. During the pandemic, despite paying rent for our lease in LA (Koreatown, which was miserable and depressing throughout covid) we spent nearly the whole year of 2020 at my parent's place in SD because it was a lot more lax--not at all Florida lax--but I could at least do some outdoor dining, covert gym or even crossfit in a way that was virtually impossible in LA. People didn't walk around outside with masks on nearly as much as here, where you'd get shouted at for such a thing.

And I agree, SD isn't Texas conservative, but the metro definitely feels much more purple than LA, SF, or Seattle, all of which I've lived in. Go up to North County or out to East County and there's a strong republican/Trump presence, not to mention you've got the navy/military presence which loves conservatism and that pervades a lot of SD.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions