HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I'm not surprised. For the last number years now, it seems whenever we go out and about, we hear Russian or another Slavic language.

We often hear Brazilian Portuguese too.

Is this in Pasadena or San Fernando Valley? It would be interesting to see stats on new immigrants to LA from say the past 5 years and contrast that with the more established immigrant groups. For instance Mexicans and Koreans are big groups that are no longer immigrating as much.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
The Southland has sufficiently large communities to attract people from much of the world who are looking to emigrate to the US. Also, it's just easier to not speak English or be native-born in LA than in most of the country. For example, a very good friend who I met after she moved to the Bay Area maybe 25 years ago has been trying to get her mom, who was born and raised in Egypt, to move up there with her. But she has refused for decades, saying that she feels like a foreigner whenever she's in the Bay Area--but not here in LA. And I don't even think there's a big Egyptian diaspora here, either. It's just the general vibe. There's no singular culture against which everything else gets judged.
There is a modest sized Egyptian community in Downey. I think Coptics.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST500 View Post
My friend's Mom is indeed a Coptic Christian, which was a big reason why she left Egypt. She lives in East LA and doesn't drive much, so even though Downey isn't terribly far, I'm not sure she has much access to that enclave.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 2:05 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
From KTLA5:

California Dreaming? 1 in 5 Americans want to live in Los Angeles, new survey says

by: Travis Schlepp
Posted: Mar 2, 2023 / 05:01 PM PST
Updated: Mar 2, 2023 / 05:01 PM PST

Despite California experiencing a slight decline in population over the past several years, a large portion of the nation said they would like to call Los Angeles home.

A new nationwide survey by HomeBay, a website that offers analysis and tips about real estate, found that 1 in 5 people surveyed would like to live in L.A., assuming money wasn’t an issue.

The revelation comes as part of a larger sweeping survey of people who recently moved. More than 1,000 people were surveyed about their recent moves as Home Bay looked to find out how, why and where people were moving.

While the most popular state to move to among those surveyed was Florida, if money weren’t an object, people surveyed would like to live in California (27%), especially L.A. (19%).

Despite the desire to live in the Golden State or the City of Angels, it’s actually Austin, Texas, Raleigh, North Carolina and Orlando, Florida where people surveyed have decided to move.

California lost 343,230 residents in 2022, according to U.S. Census Bureau data. The main reason for the exodus is blamed on cost of living. Of all survey respondents, about half said they moved to improve their quality of life or find a cheaper place to live. Safe neighborhoods, good school districts and affordability are all factors that were considered as part of “quality of life.”

While many people left California in the last year, it still remains the No. 1 state that people wish they could call home, and while we don’t want to connect too many dots, perhaps that’s partly so many people had some regrets about their move. The survey found that 75% of respondents had some regrets about moving — including 44% who admitted to having cried over the move.

Home Bay’s data comes from an online survey of 1,000 people from Dec. 29, 2022. Respondents were asked to answer up to 21 questions related to their recent moving experience with additional insight provided by the U.S. Census Bureau Migration Data.

To read the complete survey results, including whether people are moving to cities or suburbs, and whether or not they’re hiring movers to make the move less stressful, click here.

Link: https://ktla.com/news/california/cal...w-survey-says/
TLDR the responses but seems like Atlanta being desirable is more notable. My friends who lived in north LA city and later moved to the transverse range mountains above LA and then on to PDX seem to really miss ATL.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Is this in Pasadena or San Fernando Valley? It would be interesting to see stats on new immigrants to LA from say the past 5 years and contrast that with the more established immigrant groups. For instance Mexicans and Koreans are big groups that are no longer immigrating as much.
We encounter this almost everywhere in LA County, including Pasadena, downtown LA, and the Westside. In fact the other day at our go-to pub, we saw/heard a 30-something-ish couple speaking Russian.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 4:08 PM

Quote:

Correction: Bellflower not Downey.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 4:12 PM

Quote:
We encounter this almost everywhere in LA County, including Pasadena, downtown LA, and the Westside. In fact the other day at our go-to pub, we saw/heard a 30-something-ish couple speaking Russian.

Probably recent Ukrainian refugees and Russian immigration also seems to have increased since the war.

There was a lot of immigration from the former Soviet Union, both Jewish and Slavic, to LA in the late 80s/early 90s, but seemed to have declined from the mid 90s to mid 2010s. For instance West Hollywood had a big Russian community that declined by the 00s.

I've also heard there is a small Uzbek community in the Valley and around Hollywood that is mostly recent immigrants who have arrived since 2010.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 9:48 PM

Fwiw....

Video Link

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions