HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 8:57 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Remember folks, debates about vaccine efficacy belong in the CE toilet.

This thread is about the effects the pandemic is having on your city.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 9:45 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Nah, I'm a experimental particle physicist. I work on various experiments where we use polar ice (Arctic and Antarctic) as a giant particle detector to look for energetic particles from outer space (taking advantage of the Askaryan effect and the radio-transparency of ice, if you are wondering why we're using ice). So I build instruments, take them to remote places, operate them and analyze the data coming out of them.
I watched a documentary about this.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 9:50 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I watched a documentary about this.
really? it seems more likely that there might be one about IceCube (similar experiment, similar concept, lower energy and optical light instead of radio). The PI of one of my experiments was interviewed in Encounters at the end of the World though (though Herzog edited it in a way to sound more mystical than it is). That was long before my time though .

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 10:14 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
really? it seems more likely that there might be one about IceCube (similar experiment, similar concept, lower energy and optical light instead of radio). The PI of one of my experiments was interviewed in Encounters at the end of the World though (though Herzog edited it in a way to sound more mystical than it is). That was long before my time though .
I forgot the specifics (it was quite a while ago) but remembered polar ice being used to detect neutrinos/ cosmic background radiation. Fascinating stuff.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 11:05 PM

I thought there was a NYT article on Lake Baikal as a center for research on Askaryan Effect not too long ago.

But my physics knowledge ignominiously ended in a crappy 11th grade AP score, so my understanding is next-to-nothing.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 11:30 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I thought there was a NYT article on Lake Baikal as a center for research on Askaryan Effect not too long ago.

But my physics knowledge ignominiously ended in a crappy 11th grade AP score, so my understanding is next-to-nothing.
That (Baikal-GVD) is not an Askaryan detector either, but an optical Cerenkov detector. But to first approximation for anybody outside high-energy neutrino astrophysics (so basically everybody), it's more or less the same thing with slightly different technology (photomultipliers/SIPM's to measure ~optical photons vs. antennas to measure VHF/UHF radio emission) and energy regimes (~PeV vs ~EeV).

(Askaryan radiation is a form of Cerenkov radiation---it's the coherent Cerenkov radiation at wavelengths large compared to the size of the particle shower with a relative charge excess. Or equivalently, you can think of it as the Cerenkov radiation from a macroscopic charge excess as opposed to from individual charged particles).

And speaking of the NYT, the first time I was in Antarctica I accidentally cameod in one of their pictures .

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Three weeks after California expanded vaccinations to 12- to 15-year-olds, almost half of all Bay Area teens have gotten at least one dose.

Residents ages 16 and up had previously been eligible for the vaccine starting mid-April. But on May 13, California opened up Pfizer vaccine appointments to the 12-15 age group as well . . . .

By May 31, 48% of Bay Area 12- to 17-year-olds had gotten at least one dose, compared with just 30% of all Californians in that age group. Youth vaccination rates are higher than the California average for eight out of nine Bay Area counties. The ninth, Solano, has 30% of its teens vaccinated, the same as the state overall . . . .

A previous Chronicle analysis found that, across the U.S., vaccination rates for people aged 16 and older were highest in counties where a large share of adults were college-educated, and the number of uninsured residents was low. Bay Area residents are disproportionately likely to be insured and college-educated, which partly explains why the region’s vaccination rates are so strong.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/local/ar...e-16223070.php

Old Posted Jun 6, 2021, 3:15 AM

Quote:
The demise of central cities continues:

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...ment-landlords
Great news!

I've been extremely pessimistic and will continue until long-term data comes out. But I am one of those people that took advantage of the deals:

I got a larger place, an office, a balcony, and a higher floor for a lot less per month than I was paying a block away and my parking is cheaper now too. I signed a 18 month lease because I knew the good times might stop.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2021, 6:49 AM

^^SF rents have stopped falling and are now beginning to climb again.

Here you might not have been able to do a deal like you did unless you were a fairly new arrival. We have rent control with vacancy decontrol. So if you've been in a controlled building a while, even with the recent drop you probably wouldn't have got a reduction in rent

By the way, did you ask your landlord for a reduction before you moved?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2021, 12:28 PM
The City

We were pretty much in multiple places (beach, ice cream shop, restaurant) in St Joseph, MI without masks this weekend.

We still try to make our kids wear them while indoors, although I admit I got a bit lazy last night and didn’t enforce it too much.

Michigan is like completely opposite Illinois though. In Illinois people are still masking a lot indoors (except for restaurants, I guess). But over here nobody’s wearing shit

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 6, 2021, 9:53 PM
The City

Walked briefly through Streeterville and the Mag Mile in Chicago today.

On the “surface” things seem normal, but they really aren’t.

A restaurant that I’ve been going to for years told me how much they struggled, and still are. They relied on office workers who still largely haven’t returned.

Foot traffic on the streets has improved, but it’s still not the hopping and buzzing Chicago of summer 2019 and years past. I think we will get there, but I suspect it’s going to take another full year

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Walked briefly through Streeterville and the Mag Mile in Chicago today.

On the “surface” things seem normal, but they really aren’t.

A restaurant that I’ve been going to for years told me how much they struggled, and still are. They relied on office workers who still largely haven’t returned.

Foot traffic on the streets has improved, but it’s still not the hopping and buzzing Chicago of summer 2019 and years past. I think we will get there, but I suspect it’s going to take another full year
Maybe....

I was out and about this weekend, and it felt the most energetic since I got here on May 8th. I continue to see less and less masks too. I am trying to be a trend setter and not wear them unless I see a sign that says I am required too. I was at a pub in Avondale, and no one was wearing masks (inside or outside).

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 2:09 AM
Future God

Quote:
We were pretty much in multiple places (beach, ice cream shop, restaurant) in St Joseph, MI without masks this weekend.

We still try to make our kids wear them while indoors, although I admit I got a bit lazy last night and didn’t enforce it too much.

Michigan is like completely opposite Illinois though. In Illinois people are still masking a lot indoors (except for restaurants, I guess). But over here nobody’s wearing shit
Let me guess... Silver Beach, Kilwin's, RyeBelle's?

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
Maybe....

I was out and about this weekend, and it felt the most energetic since I got here on May 8th. I continue to see less and less masks too. I am trying to be a trend setter and not wear them unless I see a sign that says I am required too. I was at a pub in Avondale, and no one was wearing masks (inside or outside).
No, Urban Politician is right. Chicago has returned to about normal Spring-level mobility, but Summer is a significant notch above that.

It’s hard to reach Summer-level activity without events up-and-running. I think Independence Day and Lollapalooza will be the closest to Chicago in high-gear we get this year.

I expect we’ll see typical seasonal activity return by Autumn, and then next Summer things will be back to normal.

https://twitter.com/colintj/status/1...177073673?s=21

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 7:06 AM

New York’s Metroploitan Opera 21-22 season is on and San Francisco Opera promises news soon about theirs. Bravo!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 9:59 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
We finally got to go to church for the first time in over a year yesterday, and it felt very nice... Even nicer to have so many people there excited to see us, and happy that we meant what we said about continuing to attend even after moving an hour away. Our church shut down and moved to online-only services once the pandemic really got going, a smart move considering that much of the congregation is older. in May they started a slow reopening where you'd have to book one of a limited number of slots, and now they're finally fully open with just a few changes such as no singing.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 12:45 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Let me guess... Silver Beach, Kilwin's, RyeBelle's?
Good guess, you got 2 out of 3

We didn't eat at RyeBelle's

The food in St Joseph isn't the best, but everything else is.....very nice

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 2:02 PM
Future God

Quote:
Good guess, you got 2 out of 3

We didn't eat at RyeBelle's

Agreed but like you said it's pleasant enough... I only go to RyeBelle's for their rooftop.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 2:22 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:

I'm not terribly familiar with the food scene there, but I did once have lunch at The Buck right in downtown St. Joe's.

Pretty damn good pub burger and an outstanding selection of Michigan craft brew on tap. Would recommend.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jun 7, 2021 at 2:43 PM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
We finally got to go to church for the first time in over a year yesterday, and it felt very nice... Even nicer to have so many people there excited to see us, and happy that we meant what we said about continuing to attend even after moving an hour away. Our church shut down and moved to online-only services once the pandemic really got going, a smart move considering that much of the congregation is older. in May they started a slow reopening where you'd have to book one of a limited number of slots, and now they're finally fully open with just a few changes such as no singing.

We still have preregistration and limited spots but we started singing three weeks ago.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions