HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 23, 2008, 7:48 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Seems to be some demolition work at Irving Park and Sheridan on the NE and NW corners. Anyone know what is going on?
You're kidding...? Both corners at once? Isn't that where the Holiday Club is located? It's a very large building.

This intersection was about to become "whole" again with the replacement of the gas station on the SE... I hope these are not corner-eroding developments on the north side.

_________

Just got back from Hyde Park and I am pleased to report that Helmut Jahn's new utility plant is looking great. It's much, much larger than I was expecting... something like 5 or 6 residential stories in equivalent height. It should be finished in about 2-3 months, I am guessing. The cladding and general appearance closely resemble his other recent works around town - just taller and boxier.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2008, 8:54 PM

For reference, Sheridan/Irving:
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...cl=1&encType=1

I hope he misspoke and meant the SE corner where that mid-rise was planned.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2008, 10:09 PM

I hope he meant the NE corner only, cuz I park in the gas station lot (shhh), and I doubt it about the NW corner since I believe Holiday just went through some renovations. or maybe they were made an offer they couldn't refuse...

Old Posted Jun 23, 2008, 10:16 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Seems to be some demolition work at Irving Park and Sheridan on the NE and NW corners. Anyone know what is going on?
I think Thorek owns the NE building, which makes the demolition even more depressing.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 12:47 AM
BANNED

^^^ I drive by there pretty often, I'll check it out next time I'm up there...

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 1:17 AM
BANNED

Some nice green work where I work

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=209060&src=5

Lake to heat, cool Elgin's Sherman Hospital

Sherman Hospital in Elgin is building the nation's largest geothermal lake to heat and cool the $310 million facility.

Workers lay loops of two-inch pipe in the lake Tuesday. About 150 miles of pipe will rest on the lake's bottom.

By Harry Hitzeman | Daily Herald Staff

Published: 6/18/2008 12:07 AM

Long before gasoline topped $4 a gallon and "going green" became chic, Sherman Health officials made the environment and efficiency a priority.

Tuesday afternoon, hospital officials showcased a 15-acre geothermal lake -- the largest in the nation -- that will heat and cool the 225-bed facility under construction at Big Timber and Randall roads in Elgin.

The system will save an estimated $1 million a year in energy costs and ultimately contain about 150 miles of looped tubes at the bottom of an 18-foot-deep lake.

"It doesn't get any greener than this," said Warren Lloyd, vice president at the Rock Island-based KJWW Engineering Consultants, which designed Sherman's lake.

In the winter, the system and its geothermal heat pumps will pull the Earth's natural heat from the lake into the $310 million facility.

A mixture of water and non-toxic antifreeze circulates through the loop and carries the heat to the hospital.

Then an electric-powered compressor and a heat exchanger will concentrate the energy into heat that is later blown through vents just like a furnace.

But unlike a furnace, no natural gas is burned.

"The hospital is heating itself. That's a strange thing to say, but it's part of the energy savings," said Charles Burnidge, an Elgin architect and member of Sherman's board of directors.

Burnidge said Sherman officials explored and chose the geothermal option long before the first shovel was planted in June 2006.

Burnidge also noted all of the private rooms have a view of the nearby forest and lake, which will be surrounded by a walking path and stocked with fish.

In the summer, the system is reversed.

The loops draw excess heat from the building and allow it to be absorbed by the lake water. It's more efficient than a traditional air-conditioner.

The system cools in the same way that a refrigerator keeps food cool -- by drawing heat from the interior, not by blowing in cold air, said John Kelly, executive director Of the Washington, D.C.-based Geothermal Heat Pump Consortium Inc.

"People don't understand how the system works. It seems like magic, but it's really not," Kelly said.

Tuesday, crews in rafts installed a few of the nearly 2,500 loops in the lake.

This work will be completed in about six weeks; the hospital is slated to open in late 2009.

Christine Priester, Sherman spokeswoman, said students will be able to take field trips to learn how the geothermal lake works after the hospital is completed in late 2009.

"We have people calling (us) from all over the world. There's a hospital in Nigeria looking to take a tour because they're thinking about this as well," she said.

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/c...AN_S1.article#

Cool project heating up at new Sherman site
Sherman uses man-made lake for heat, cooling

June 18, 2008

By CIGI ROSS Staff Writer
ELGIN -- Sherman Hospital took another step toward completion of its economically friendly new building at Randall and Big Timber roads on Tuesday.

http://www.thefutureofsherman.com/ga...w.php?id=jun08

http://www.thefutureofsherman.com/energy_faq.php

Sherman's geothermal lake will be one of the largest - if not the largest -lake loop heat-pump systems in the world.

Last edited by bnk; Jun 24, 2008 at 3:27 AM.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
I think Thorek owns the NE building, which makes the demolition even more depressing.
Yup bad news and they do own it. Thorek is the worst when it comes to Urban Development. Look at what they have done to Irving Park rd. in their area. It just plain old sucks. The building is being raised and according to Thorek the space will be be 'green space' lol means empty, until they decicde what to do with it.

Technically it is in Schiller's Ward and not Tunney.

While Schiller is controversial and in many ways I don't like her, in some respects I do like her ideals and often I like her planning with regards to teardowns. They don't happen often in her Ward. She is more about preservation. Uptown does, which is mostly her ward, go more for rehabs then destroy and build new. But this Thorek thing is screwed up. It will be a continues parking lot for several blocks because the hospital is undecided.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 2:55 PM

^That's really awful. So they're just gonna tear it down and let it set as an empty lot indefinitely? That intersection will now be 3/4 awful instead of only 1/2 awful. Sigh. At least the site is zoned B1-5 (FAR 5.0) so if they ever get around to developing it, it will be a rather dense project.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 12:29 AM
THAT Guy

Lynn Becker reports that Preservation Chicago is trying to stop the demolition of a building at 2131 W. 22nd Place (follow the link for photos).

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 1:36 AM

This morning as I walked to the Addison red line stop, I observed crews doing soil testing next to an abandoned apartment building. It's the building that runs north/south on the north side of the intersection of Addison & Reta, sandwiched between a parking lot to the west and a police station to the east. They were doing soil testing in two spots that I could see, one on the east side of the building and one on the west. Does anyone know if there are plans to demolish the building and construct something new there?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 2:06 AM
Registered

^ Yes, that's another kind of sad one. The Police Station is going to expand... the community was able to finally convince the city that the existing station can be reused, but this building is the casualty. It was designed by the same architect that did the old Cook County Hospital.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 2:15 AM

Eesh....lots of demolition news in a short amount of time.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
^ Yes, that's another kind of sad one. The Police Station is going to expand...
I had actually wondered whether the police station might be taking over that space, but I was hoping they weren't.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 1:25 AM

The Daily Herald had an article today that the redevelopment plans for Randhurst Mall in Mt. Prospect have been changed. The original plans called for mixed use development, with condos over first floor retail, to try and create an instant downtown, probably similar to what they did at the Glenview airbase.

But the plans have changed, and now they've dropped the residential component, and it'll basically just be redeveloped as an outdoor lifestyle center mall.

I think this may actually be good news, as it'll mean new condos have to stay clustered in downtown Mt. Prospect and Arlington Heights, around the Metra stations and those existing walkable areas.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 7:19 AM

took a ride down sheridan road today thru the north shore......what a loss...
total destruction of what should have been a preservation district. Sad thing is economics and time will destroy these newer cheaper bigger crapnopolies......

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 8:26 AM
TL;DR

Did you go down Sheridan Road, or up? As I found out today, you can't really go down (at least in Wilmette).

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 12:41 PM

Some new green space at K Station.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 6:29 PM
BANNED

^^^ Hey that's not half bad! At least we are getting a decent park with all the crapitecture...

Re Sheridan Road: I'm not very upset at all that they destroyed those mansions, the majority of them weren't anything special. To see a real Mansion district with really elaborate and ornate mansions, head up to Milwaukee and take Lake Drive all the way up from downtown until it ends near the county line. It literally its 4000 sqft+ mansions the whole way, which is about 8 miles...

Having grown up just past the end of Lake Drive in Milwaukee, most of the mansions along Sheridan seem like glorified 3 flats...

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 6:39 PM

I went by the new Barney's New York building at Rush and Oak and I was wondering if anyone knew when it was scheduled to be finished. I heard at one time they wanted to be moved in before Christmas season. Also has anyone heard what may move into the old Barneys building?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaSalle.St.Station View Post
took a ride down sheridan road today thru the north shore......what a loss...
total destruction of what should have been a preservation district. Sad thing is economics and time will destroy these newer cheaper bigger crapnopolies......
I agree.

I hate those crap towers along Sheridan Rd.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development