HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
PIONEER FAMILIES   PUSHING THE EDGE OF SUBURBIA
oops, could you post the link for the article? the link you posted was for the image

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
direct Fioretti quote from the Tribune - "We need for development to cool down to keep the neighborhood hot." ...

Also, what is Fioretti suggesting - that he thinks it's his role to interfere with the free market in order to prop up prices or something? Folks - I'm telling you - this is a very misguided individual trying to make some sort of mark...
Very revealing quote... do you have a link to the article itself?

Maybe I am saying this only because I am a masochist and I want everyone else here to beat up on me. But Fioretti is right.* When you have unlimited supply and limited demand, you will not have higher prices. And a rising price for one's home has become something of an entitlement for today's middle class. They get that rising price in a lot of suburbs because the zoning is so strict. Half-acre lots and so on. Control the supply. It is in the direct interest of anyone who bought in the south loop to prevent more projects for coming online, and the same with LSE. This is basic.
There is no free market in the suburbs.

*Fioretti is also a fool who doesn't understand cities. Density creates a virtuous cycle, more people is more amenities, is more services, we've been over that a hundred times here. What Fioretti can do is get the city competitive with the suburbs on schools etc. He should do the optimistic proactive thing and work on increasing demand, not decreasing supply. What is this, Europe?

It boggles my mind that high density costs the city more than low density costs the suburbs, when high volume is always more efficient than low volume. It boggles my mind that with city property values and population going up, Daley needs a property tax increase. It boggles my mind that for decades people with kids have had to leave Chicago to get their kids into good schools, and no one addresses their concerns... where is the school at LSE? Let's not get started on transit. Where is Fioretti on this?

OK, over with the post-Thanksgiving rant. Let's just hope gas prices keep going up and the hydrogen car is a bust, that's the only hope for Chicago.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2007, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstush04 View Post
oops, could you post the link for the article? the link you posted was for the image
Here's a link to the article

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...i_tab01_layout

Old Posted Nov 25, 2007, 4:03 PM

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...ck=1&cset=true

ARCHITECTURE

Blades of glass
New Spertus Institute's gemlike wall of glass a welcome counterpoint on South Michigan

By Blair Kamin | Tribune architecture critic
November 25, 2007

Chicago's rough-hewn cityscape, already studded with architectural jewels, has a sparkling new gem. It resembles an exquisitely cut diamond dropped into the great wall of stone that rises like a cliff across from Grant Park.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2007, 4:55 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

^^ Thanks for posting this. Kamin is pretty much spot on here - he stresses the importance of depth and three-dimensionality in the facade, and the ways in which constraints can fuel creative solutions - and IMHO K&S deserves all the accolades we can toss out.

Now, somebody, anybody, please give these chaps a tower project - Hines? Magellan? Buck? Anyone out there? Anybody care?

Last edited by wrab; Nov 25, 2007 at 5:11 PM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2007, 8:24 PM

Jackson Street Bridge Reconstruction Project

The Chicago Department of Transportation is rebuilding the Jackson Blvd. bridge over the Metra / IC railroad tracks in Grant Park. The bridge was built in 1925, and has reached the end of its useful life. The $11 million project will rebuild all the bridge's structural elements, while maintaining its historic Beaux Arts design. The work will restore the bridge's historic architectural elements, and add ornamental lighting and balustrades. Crews will also rebuild the stairs to the Metra Van Buren Station platform. Construction is scheduled to begin the week of November 19, with estimated completion in summer 2008. During construction, Jackson between Michigan and Columbus will close to traffic. Monroe Street or Congress Parkway are the recommended detours for east and westbound traffic. Metra passengers: Stairs to / from the Metra Van Buren Station platform to Jackson will be closed. Passengers should use the Van Buren entrance / exit. For more information, visit www.cityofchicago.org/transportation

St. Charles Air Line Bridge to be Landmarked
Monday, December 3 at 10 AM

Notice is hereby given that the City Council's Committee on Historical Landmark Preservation will hold a meeting at City Hall, located at 121 North LaSalle Street, in Room 201-A to consider recommendations that the following be designated as Chicago Landmarks:

2nd Ward - The St. Charles Air Line Bridge at 16th & Lumber Streets.

42nd Ward - The Continental and Commercial National Bank Building at 208 South LaSalle Street
The Old Chicago Coast Guard Station by Lake Michigan near the mouth of the Chicago River
The Roanoke Building and Tower at 11 South LaSalle Street
The Veseman Building at 444 North LaSalle Street
The (Former) Engine Company 42 Firehouse at 228 West Illinois Street
The Chicago & Northwestern RR Bridge at Kinzie & Canal Streets

For more information, visit http://www.chicityclerk.com/citycoun...arks120307.pdf

Old Posted Nov 25, 2007, 9:41 PM

Quote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...ck=1&cset=true

ARCHITECTURE

Blades of glass
New Spertus Institute's gemlike wall of glass a welcome counterpoint on South Michigan

By Blair Kamin | Tribune architecture critic
November 25, 2007

Chicago's rough-hewn cityscape, already studded with architectural jewels, has a sparkling new gem. It resembles an exquisitely cut diamond dropped into the great wall of stone that rises like a cliff across from Grant Park.
I like it, but I don't know how I feel about it right there.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2007, 10:53 PM

December Plan Commission and Landmarks Committee agenda items on Google map:

http://www.communitywalk.com/chicago...007/map/191423

Old Posted Nov 26, 2007, 2:12 AM

spertus opens to the public on friday, and there is an open house on sunday, the 2nd

I think there's a public viewing area on the top floor. You can see a nice, unique view of millenium park and the lake from there.

Correct me if I'm wrong

Old Posted Nov 26, 2007, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstush04 View Post
spertus opens to the public on friday, and there is an open house on sunday, the 2nd

I think there's a public viewing area on the top floor. You can see a nice, unique view of millenium park and the lake from there.

Correct me if I'm wrong
You are right, there is actually an open terrace up there. And yes the views are very cool.

SSDD

Old Posted Nov 26, 2007, 3:58 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginsan2 View Post
I like it, but I don't know how I feel about it right there.
Its awesome. K&S rocks.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2007, 5:51 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
St. Charles Air Line Bridge to be Landmarked
Monday, December 3 at 10 AM

Notice is hereby given that the City Council's Committee on Historical Landmark Preservation will hold a meeting at City Hall, located at 121 North LaSalle Street, in Room 201-A to consider recommendations that the following be designated as Chicago Landmarks:

2nd Ward - The St. Charles Air Line Bridge at 16th & Lumber Streets.

42nd Ward - The Continental and Commercial National Bank Building at 208 South LaSalle Street
The Old Chicago Coast Guard Station by Lake Michigan near the mouth of the Chicago River
The Roanoke Building and Tower at 11 South LaSalle Street
The Veseman Building at 444 North LaSalle Street
The (Former) Engine Company 42 Firehouse at 228 West Illinois Street
The Chicago & Northwestern RR Bridge at Kinzie & Canal Streets

For more information, visit http://www.chicityclerk.com/citycoun...arks120307.pdf
Is anybody going to this meeting? It's at 10am on a Monday, so I can't attend. Landmarking all of these is peachy, except for the C&NW bridge. This bridge stands right where the Carroll Street Transitway is supposed to cross the river. The railroad bridge can't carry the transitway's buses (I don't think), so it would have to be replaced or modified if the project is to proceed. Landmark designation for the bridge might therefore add huge amounts of expense to the Transitway project (to get around the bridge somehow), and maybe even jeopardize the project totally.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2007, 6:47 AM
Registered

^ Nothing gets Landmarked in Chicago without prior agreement by the rest of the DPD (sadly).... I am certain they have already discussed these plans in relation to the circulator proposal, and everything is going to be fine.

Besides, this is just the rubber stamp part of the process. The Bridges passes the Commission a long while back, and the city could have easily contested at that point if there was something negative about to happen.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 12:31 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
I am certain they have already discussed these plans in relation to the circulator proposal, and everything is going to be fine.
I was thinking about contacting someone in CDOT about the issue... is that totally out of line?

I'm worried that the city is letting this opportunity escape as the corridor is densely-developed. By waiting, they are only increasing the final cost and decreasing the feasibility of the project.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 2:52 AM

So I heard today about the sad loss of a preservation battle in Palatine.
A little old lady lived in a 19th century historic home in downtown Palatine, on a decaying block that was slated for redevelopment. When she died last year, her family sold the land to the city, and the city set about finding someone to move the house. The house was being offered free to anyone who would move it.
But last week the city and a perspective mover/owner walked through the home and found a sad state.

The home had been stripped of everything of value. The doors, pocket doors, trim, hardware, cabinets, radiators, banister and staircase had all been ripped out. Large holes were left in the walls, and the house was deemed no longer structurally sound for moving, nor worth the effort.

So it's going to be torn down now, it's historical value is gone. A shame, it was a good house.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
So I heard today about the sad loss of a preservation battle in Palatine.
A little old lady lived in a 19th century historic home in downtown Palatine, on a decaying block that was slated for redevelopment. When she died last year, her family sold the land to the city, and the city set about finding someone to move the house. The house was being offered free to anyone who would move it.
But last week the city and a perspective mover/owner walked through the home and found a sad state.

The home had been stripped of everything of value. The doors, pocket doors, trim, hardware, cabinets, radiators, banister and staircase had all been ripped out. Large holes were left in the walls, and the house was deemed no longer structurally sound for moving, nor worth the effort.

So it's going to be torn down now, it's historical value is gone. A shame, it was a good house.
......who stripped the house ?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 4:34 AM

^^^ Pretty sure it was the lady's kids, before they sold the land, but I don't know for sure. The city must not have done a final inspection. Lesson learned I guess...

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 4:41 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I was thinking about contacting someone in CDOT about the issue... is that totally out of line?
Oh, I don't know, it's your call. But nothing about these bridges is going to be a surprise to anyone in the city... you might find out some good stuff to report back to us though.

Often times, the agenda of the planning department overall comes out subtly in the way buildings are landmarked. For instance, the St. Charles Air Line Bridge ... could this suggest that they are planning a Highline-style development there instead of simply ripping it out (that would be fantastic, of course)? I've heard numerous things about this, but nothing substantial. On the other hand, the second bridge next to the St. Charles Air Line (I always forget the name of it), was conspicuously absent from the designation - seems to be in keeping with the fact that much of that line (or spur, or whatever you transit buffs call it) has been ripped out without much consideration.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 4:48 AM
Urbane observer

Quote:
the second bridge next to the St. Charles Air Line (I always forget the name of it
Baltimore & Ohio Chicago Terminal Railroad.

Mayor Daley is a big bridge fan, and the push to landmark these bridges came from him. You can be sure that landmarking the C&NW bridge near Kinzie has been thoroughly discussed with CDOT.

A year ago, at a party, I talked with one of the engineers who was working on adapting it (and elevating it, I think, as was done with the Kinzie Street Bridge) for busway use.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 7:30 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
the second bridge next to the St. Charles Air Line was conspicuously absent from the designation
I thought the two bridges there were inextricably connected? As I understood, both decks share a common counterweight. I kinda like the fact that one half is permanently locked upward. You can understand the dynamism of the bridge design, since both states (up and down) are visible at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
A year ago, at a party, I talked with one of the engineers who was working on adapting it (and elevating it, I think, as was done with the Kinzie Street Bridge) for busway use.
So it is possible? Excellent, I was worried there for a bit. I shot off an email to CDOT... I doubt it will be answered, since I used the general-comments address. I don't have any personal contacts there, and I don't know who specifically to ask within CDOT, so I had no other choice.

What do you mean by elevating it? Are they trying to raise the river clearance so that it will be opened less frequently? I didn't think such modifications were possible under a landmark designation. Adding a drivable deck seems like a minor modification that could be done with a dense steel grid like the one on the Columbus Dr. bridge, but I don't know if the bridge is wide enough to accommodate two lanes or the signalling system that would be required for one-lane operation.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development