HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 1, 2022, 9:40 PM

Mayo Clinic breaks ground on $135M project on north Phoenix campus

This whole stretch is going to look so different within the next 5 years.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...ix-campus.html

Quote:
As part of its $748 million expansion to double its north Phoenix campus and add 2,000 high-wage jobs, Mayo Clinic has broken ground on its research and education building.

The structure is being constructed next to Arizona State University's $80 million Health Future's Center, which sits on the east side of Mayo's campus at 56th Street on the south side of Loop 101.

When completed in 2024, the new structure will house Mayo's medical students, who currently are based at Mayo Clinic's Scottsdale campus at Shea Boulevard and 134th Street.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 6:07 AM

Since news has been crazy slow. "Phase 1b" of the Hance Park redevelopment has begun. It's all fenced off and there's some heavy equipment on site, not sure how long. I snapped a quick pick of the signage.

https://imgur.com/gallery/ahnJ05R

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroD View Post
Since news has been crazy slow. "Phase 1b" of the Hance Park redevelopment has begun. It's all fenced off and there's some heavy equipment on site, not sure how long. I snapped a quick pick of the signage.

https://imgur.com/gallery/ahnJ05R
How much are we betting that the real life equivalent we get will have a quarter of the greenery and plantlife that the "Garden Rendering" has. SMH.

Renderings always show us such grand and beautiful ideas, and then end up shite when the project comes to fruition. Lol I'll hold my breath though. Just give us more trees please! More shade!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 10:06 PM

Construction in downtown Phoenix, Valley continues amid increasing costs

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...tion-cost.html
Quote:
The number of towering construction cranes in a central part of downtown Phoenix during the first quarter of 2022 has remained stable with two cranes still standing amid increasing building costs.

This was the same number of cranes counted in the third quarter of last year, according to Rider Levett Bucknall's crane index, which is done twice a year but only covers a 6-mile radius from the Central Avenue and Washington Street intersection.
This count cannot be right? It's missing at least one with Palm Tower and its crane. The article counted Sky on 6th and Moon Tower.

Crane count should go up by Q2-Q3 with all the tower in the pipeline, hopefully breaking ground soon.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 10:26 PM

They definitely forgot Palm Court Tower, which would bring it to 3. Central Station (2 cranes) and X Phoenix Phase II will bring it to 6 by the end of Q2. I wonder if Union Phase II will get a small crane too.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 10:26 PM

Slow News Day...

Lots of permit activity for Tower 201 recently (old Chase Tower). Some demo work but may just be related to fire prevention activity. Can't wait to see what the final plans are for this...

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Lots of permit activity for Tower 201 recently (old Chase Tower). Some demo work but may just be related to fire prevention activity. Can't wait to see what the final plans are for this...

If you look at Davis architecture website, it now shows this as “a reform project”. It still has the same renderings but according to that it means the same people who did the found:re hotel are behind these renovations. I think the found:re turned out pretty great and hope this pans out.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 7:56 AM

Chase Tower

Wow that Chase remodel looks amazing! I always hated that beige columm in the middle. It looks like they just painted it or something but anything looks better than they way it is now, and if we got that other tower too id say this would be the best of the new projects followed by Astra and Central station.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code5 View Post
How much are we betting that the real life equivalent we get will have a quarter of the greenery and plantlife that the "Garden Rendering" has. SMH.

Renderings always show us such grand and beautiful ideas, and then end up shite when the project comes to fruition. Lol I'll hold my breath though. Just give us more trees please! More shade!
Renderings also don't depict homeless people and the many sights of dogs urinating and defecating in these public areas while the humans on the other end of the leash are pleased it's not their own backyard. I'm not suggesting they should depict these realities , but I find myself visualizing this reality check every time I see renderings of any new downtown project.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Check this out...

There is a planned development to tear down the apartments at 377 N. 4th Ave (which interestingly had an apartment fire reported yesterday) for a proposed new 10-story 118-unit apartment tower with 6 levels of UNDERGOUND parking. Would that make this the deepest parking structure in Phoenix??

No renderings released yet except site markups. Architect is Erwin Architecture (whom worked on the One Camelback redevelopment). So, this may come out looking pretty decent.

All documents posted in my Google Drive for your reading pleasure.:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...u9?usp=sharing
Demo permits have been filed for both 375-377 N 4th Ave. This project moving along...

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 12:17 AM

Hormel Theater ( PHX Art Museum) Double in size

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...-campaign.html

the theater at Phoenix art museum is going to double its seating

Quote:
Phoenix Theatre Co. is back in building mode, with plans for a $20 million renovation of its theater that will include the construction of a 500-seat theater.

This project has been a long time coming, said Vincent VanVleet, executive director of Phoenix Theatre Co., which started its capital campaign right before the Great Recession put all fundraising to a halt in 2008.

Then, in 2017, the nonprofit started a $20 million capital campaign in advance of its centennial celebration in 2020.

But the coronavirus pandemic derailed those plans once again.

"The centennial got derailed," VanVleet said. "We had bigger fish to fry during the past two years."

Plans call for expanding the company's current 250-seat Hormel Theater to 500 seats. Technical improvements include a full fly loft, below stage traps and a stage large enough to accommodate pre-Broadway show development.

Plans call for construction to be completed in winter 2024.

"Our goal is to attract pre-Broadway projects," VanVleet said.

The expansion project will make the theater more competitive in attracting these development projects, and that has the potential to bring millions into the local economy, he said.

"We recently had to turn down two Broadway producers because our Mainstage and Hormel theaters currently lack important technical capabilities, which we estimate the cost to the community more than $1 million in potential economic impact," VanVleet said.

The arts and culture industry represents 5.5 million jobs nationwide and 4.3% of the U.S. gross domestic product, he said.

Every dollar spent on an arts ticket generates an additional $5 to $7 for the local economy in terms of ancillary business, including restaurants, hotels, fabric stores, hardware stores, printers, caterers and piano tuners, VanVleet said.

With the expansion, those numbers will only increase, he said.

"It's going to be a real game changer for the city of Phoenix and for the art and culture sector here," VanVleet said.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2022, 12:01 AM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Speaking of this area... what is the status of the empty lot within Willo at 1st Ave/Virginia? It is or has been under construction but looks stagnant on street view from Oct/2021. I forgot about that development, but figured it would be done by now. Can anyone confirm if it's stalled or actively being constructed?
There has been no progress in quite a while. Rumor has it that the developer wants out and is having a hard time finding someone who is willing to build to the site plan. A bunch of infrastructure work was done and then things just appeared to shut down. Really disappointing, the neighborhood really liked the project.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2022, 10:25 AM

Roaming through the DTPHX website, I noticed this photo for the Edith which is still listed as "Predevelopment". I do not remember seeing this particular photo for Edith:

https://dtphx.org/development/

Old Posted Apr 16, 2022, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
Roaming through the DTPHX website, I noticed this photo for the Edith which is still listed as "Predevelopment". I do not remember seeing this particular photo for Edith:
Nice find! I like the design, wish they would have kept the cantilever look but I am sure that was a massive cost issue. Don't they have to break ground fairly soon as part of the RFP terms?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2022, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyAZ View Post
Nice find! I like the design, wish they would have kept the cantilever look but I am sure that was a massive cost issue. Don't they have to break ground fairly soon as part of the RFP terms?
I believe it was early June of last year when Edith received the one-year extension, so that sounds about right.

I also found this from this design studio, so not sure what the hell it is nor how serious it is: https://www.curioso.us/edith

Old Posted Apr 16, 2022, 8:18 PM

Quote:

https://dtphx.org/development/

Does Chase Tower look different in the background too, or is it just me? I'm probably crazy.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2022, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code5 View Post
Does Chase Tower look different in the background too, or is it just me? I'm probably crazy.
Yeah, it looks a little odd.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2022, 8:56 PM

Original design was better but I like a smaller tower for this infill lot

Good density builder

Old Posted Apr 19, 2022, 4:27 PM

Quote:
I believe it was early June of last year when Edith received the one-year extension, so that sounds about right.

I also found this from this design studio, so not sure what the hell it is nor how serious it is: https://www.curioso.us/edith
Wasn't the sale of this city lot somewhat controversial because the City took a lower price because they liked the sales tax revenue generation better from a hotel than whatever the high bid was offering? I hope after all that it gets built or the City is gonna look silly.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2022, 4:48 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiEncanto View Post
Wasn't the sale of this city lot somewhat controversial because the City took a lower price because they liked the sales tax revenue generation better from a hotel than whatever the high bid was offering? I hope after all that it gets built or the City is gonna look silly.
...or not too mention the Hyatt Garage RFP that was issued to the same developer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest