HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 4:59 AM

At the very least, both the Blue and Expo lines should be subterranean until at least Washington Street under Flower Street, in my opinion.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 6:51 AM

Horrible decision to go to union Station instead of 7th street. A massive missed opportunity to serve a much larger population and employment area. Really a horrible, short sighted mess

Old Posted Jan 29, 2022, 4:21 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

Rail line in southeast L.A. County approved as leaders seek to speed up construction

A Metro light-rail train passes the intersection of Jefferson and La Cienega boulevards in 2020.(Mel Melcon / Los Angeles Times)

Rachel Urgana
Los Angeles Times
January 28, 2022

Transportation officials gave the green light this week to a 19.3-mile light-rail line that would serve largely working-class Latino communities in southeast Los Angeles County, and agreed to look for ways to speed up the project slated for completion in 2043.

The line runs from Artesia northwest to Union Station, cutting through the cities of Cerritos, Bellflower, Paramount, Downey, South Gate, Cudahy, Bell, Huntington Park and Vernon. It would provide key connections to other lines, helping build out a rail system decades in the making.

But with costs ballooning to $8.5 billion — more than double the original estimate — the Metropolitan Transportation Authority decided to construct the project in two segments.

Local leaders have complained about the long wait for rail service.

“These are communities that need and deserve a project like this,” county Supervisor Janice Hahn, a Metro board member, said at a news conference on Friday. The poverty rate in the region is 47% and about 1 in 5 residents don’t have access to a car, according to Metro.

“I cannot help but be a little frustrated at how long it’s taken us to get to this point,” said Hahn, who represents areas of the southeast corridor. “These communities are in such high need, but I’ve seen other lines get prioritized.”

The rail line was part of Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti’s plan to build 28 transit projects by the 2028 Olympics.

The first 14.8-mile phase runs from Artesia along a former Pacific Electric right of way to Slauson Avenue and Long Beach Boulevard, where it would connect with the A (formerly Blue) line. Groundbreaking for the $4.9-billion phase is slated for next year and completion about 10 years later.

The second phase heads north 4.5 miles from the Slauson depot to Union Station and is set to be completed by 2043. About half of the line is planned to run underground through Little Tokyo, where Metro construction disrupted businesses for years and tunneling is driving up costs.

On Thursday, led by Hahn, the Metro board unanimously approved a plan that will look at cheaper alternatives to tunneling that could accelerate construction for the second phase. In an hours-long public comment period, dozens of elected officials representing the communities along the rail line pleaded with the board to speed up the timeline.

“We have been waiting too long,” said Maria Davila, a South Gate City Council member for 19 years. “We don’t have any other source of transportation in the corridor except for buses and the 710 [Freeway], which is always crowded.”

Davila said the project has been talked about for two decades. She is a founding board member of Eco-Rapid Transit, a joint powers authority created by southeast communities two decades ago to get a rail line built. “Hopefully I will get to see it in my lifetime.”

The rail line was a cornerstone of Measure M, a $120-billion half-cent sales tax approved by voters in 2016, which gained widespread support among elected officials in the region. Along with Measure R, approved in 2008, the tax fueled a rail construction boom.

Several changes to the original 2017 project drove up costs, including adding 2.3 miles of underground tunneling, aerial bridges over intersections, the relocation of utility lines and a transfer station to the C (formerly Green) Line at the 105 Freeway.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2022, 10:23 AM

I'm OK with the routing along Alemeda to union Station. Going to 8th st would just duplicate the current blue line route. If someone needed to go 7th st hub, get get on blue or gold line . There will be transfers at union Station, little Tokyo or Washington st.

An Alameda line could be favorable in the future as Downtown LA is expected to grow into the more warehouse and industrial east and south parts of downtown.

Outside the metro line, I think downtown would improve mobility with a streetcar. That serves the greater downtown area. That covers areas not covered in rail. Olympic Blvd from Koreatown, pico union, santeevalley to South Boyle heights. Broadway from Lincoln heights to east Chinatown, along los angeles st, central ave to historic south central ave. And 3cho park, historic filipinotown on temple to Broadway to pico and convention center.

That's just me

Old Posted Jan 29, 2022, 10:35 AM

An advantage of routing up Alameda is that this will allow additional trains between LAUS and Little Tokyo, which itself will become a transfer station to whichever of the Blue/Expo Lines doesn't get the foothill alignment post-Regional Connector.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
I'm OK with the routing along Alemeda to union Station. Going to 8th st would just duplicate the current blue line route. If someone needed to go 7th st hub, get get on blue or gold line . There will be transfers at union Station, little Tokyo or Washington st.

An Alameda line could be favorable in the future as Downtown LA is expected to grow into the more warehouse and industrial east and south parts of downtown.

Outside the metro line, I think downtown would improve mobility with a streetcar. That serves the greater downtown area. That covers areas not covered in rail. Olympic Blvd from Koreatown, pico union, santeevalley to South Boyle heights. Broadway from Lincoln heights to east Chinatown, along los angeles st, central ave to historic south central ave. And 3cho park, historic filipinotown on temple to Broadway to pico and convention center.

That's just me
The 8th street route does not duplicate the Blue Line route, as the proposed Fashion District stop is not served by the Blue Line.

Your argument about someone needing to go to 7th St Hub equally applies to Union Station--if someone wants to go to Union Station, they can get on Blue Line at Washington or get on Red/Purple at 7th St. The issue is that studies showed that more riders want to go to the Fashion District and 7th St area, and 7th St will make for a quicker ride towards Hollywood/Santa Monica/Universal City/Westwood/Beverly Hills/Century City, where riders also want to go to more than Union Station.

By going to Union Station, riders that want to go to destinations on the Red/Purple Line need to make a long transfer at Union Station and then backtrack the way they came, 3-4 stations south towards 7th St. If they want to go to USC/Santa Monica/Culver City, they need to transfer to the Blue Line and then the Expo Line (2 transfers) versus 1 transfer at 7th St.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 2:04 AM

The reason the elected officials are choosing Union Station over 7th/8th street terminus; even with the higher ridership numbers, is because of the decades of advocating for the Eco-Rapid Transit/Orangeline plan. Their main goal is to have one line from the gateway cities to Burbank Airport and eventually up to Santa Clarita. It was never going to go to 7th street, but I'm glad it at least appeared as an option, because now we know what's possible. As stated in a previous post, their main focus was on a magnetic levitation and propelled train system... a Siemens built Transrapid train image is still in their logo, but Metro dont know nuthin' bout that... so appears the tried and (not always) true light rail system in the current studies. Just look at the list of member cities on the eco-rapid transit board.

http://eco-rapid.org

Last edited by hughfb3; Feb 1, 2022 at 4:56 AM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 2:18 AM
Paramoderator

I thought Metro admitted that it would be impossible to expand this line north as currently planned.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 4:20 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

The D Line subway tunnels now extend from Century City to downtown Beverly Hills (pic taken by Metro from inside the Wilshire/Rodeo station):

source

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 8:09 PM

^Taking the subway from Century City to DTLA someday is going to be surreal

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 5:31 AM

Any word on NoHo-Pasadena and Vermont Transit Corridor groundbreaking?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 2:45 PM

I was just looking at the area where my brother lives and saw that Wilshire divides north and south addresses, but then there is a duplicate set of N/S addresses in West Hollywood, using Burton and Alden Dr. as the lines of demarcation.

Absolutely crazy.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/We...4d-118.3617443

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 5:36 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
I was just looking at the area where my brother lives and saw that Wilshire divides north and south addresses, but then there is a duplicate set of N/S addresses in West Hollywood, using Burton and Alden Dr. as the lines of demarcation.

Absolutely crazy.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/We...4d-118.3617443

you think that is crazy?

take a dive into queens logic addresses sometime.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 6:10 PM
TL;DR

Why is that weird? West Hollywood and Beverly Hills are separate municipalities. I guess it's confusing when you look at the area around Doheny where those two cities mesh with LA proper, but it makes sense.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 6:24 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
you think that is crazy?

My exact thought.

Google maps can't even find many hyphenated Queens addresses.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
you think that is crazy?

Queens reminds me of the camp commandant's speech in Bridge over the River Kwai

"A word to you about escape. There is no barbed wire, no stockade, no watchtower. They are not necessary. Just totally incomprehensible street addresses in every single direction. Escape is impossible, you would die."

WH/BH/LA convergance is a piece of cake comparatively.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 7:17 PM
Show me the blueprints

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 5, 2022, 6:07 AM

1st street and main street in Downtown LA, Southeast corner of city hall is the directional compass for the city. West of Main uses W. And east uses E. Goes all the way to Beverly grove 1st street ends somewhere around LA Cienega Blvd. You got the Beverly center and connection and Alden begins but N. And S. Are no longer used. Beverly hills uses Wilshire zblvd as it's N S divide.

Another interesting thing is addresses numbering in LA. I think every block west of Main street is 100. 2nd block is 200. By the time it gets to Fairfax its 7000s 8000s that's 70 or 80 blocks from downtown.

South of 1st street, everything is numbered 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Every block between the two streets will be between the lesser number.times 100. So an address of 9510 S. Vermont Ave means it's at 95th street and Vermont Ave.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 12:53 PM

Bel Air Down There: L.A.’s Wealthiest Try, Once Again, to Fight a Subway Tunnel

By Alissa Walker
Curbed
Feb. 10, 2022

"Yes, Metro’s subway option would require tunneling below Bel Air. But these people live on a literal mountain range, making it unlikely that residents would ever see, feel, or hear what’s happening underground. They would also be paid on the off chance that tunneling would occur on their turf, approximately 100 feet below their infinity pools. As for the possibility of any air vents (Bel or otherwise) being installed on the area’s streets — which are, despite the wrought-iron gates keeping people out, still property of the city — grates aren’t even part of the proposal for the neighborhood. What you’re seeing here is the last desperate flailing of anti-transit NIMBYism in L.A. as it sputters out. Even Beverly Hills, which for decades notoriously beat back the subway’s arrival with expensive lawsuits, has acquiesced, and is building a shiny new station a block from Rodeo Drive that will open in three years. It’s past time for Bel Air to get onboard."

https://www.curbed.com/2022/02/bel-a...s-angeles.html

Old Posted Feb 21, 2022, 2:26 AM

The Crenshaw line and the Regional Connector are expected to be completed by May.

https://twitter.com/numble/status/14...1B76MfWWdczV6g

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation