HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
I don't think it's concerns for Covid though. I think people just don't want to go back to the office and a good portion probably don't need to be.
I think many of these companies are doing it to get better leases.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 9:47 PM
The City

People are mentally ill at this point. Period.

A performance of Moulin Rouge in Chicago was canceled 2 weeks ago because ONE FUCKING GUY tested positive for Covid.

My neighbor's kids, who found babysitters, were having a date night to go to it. Their whole night got screwed over a glorified common cold.

When I found out I was like

BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!! what a bunch of knuckleheads. I would NEVER buy tickets to a show in dipshitterly land. I used to do shows in Chicago all the time. My money stays in my wallet now, until the mental fuckery ends. Let them cancel shows, piss people off, and just go bankrupt.

I will not support any private institution that won't wake up from this nonsense. I love having money in my bank account--maybe I will buy another sports car

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 10:02 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^

I agree with that last point. GT3 it is!

Anyways, car fantasies aside... yeah at this point, its a mental illness. At least for anybody vaccinated or not so out of wack that the wind can kill them.

Nobody has gotten sick at my work. Ever since the masks when away. The plague has done its sweep and this new variant doing work by silently getting folks more antibody's. Could be seasonal allergies or some sniffles that go away in a day because one is vaccinated. Either way, enjoy the sunshine and your sweet ride.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 11:18 PM

Its hard to gauge how serious ppl are going to react about actual infections going forward. Its pretty much reliant on cdc and osha standards at this point. I actually just spent a week at home because I tested positive. I dodged covid for two years and then my gf went to NY and got sick when she came back. She works at a hospital so they have to test for it. I ended up getting roped into it to and tested positive. I basically had allergies all week and sat on my couch.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 7:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
Its hard to gauge how serious ppl are going to react about actual infections going forward. Its pretty much reliant on cdc and osha standards at this point. I actually just spent a week at home because I tested positive. I dodged covid for two years and then my gf went to NY and got sick when she came back. She works at a hospital so they have to test for it. I ended up getting roped into it to and tested positive. I basically had allergies all week and sat on my couch.
I will completely ignore CDC travel advisories going forward, of course. I’ll look at reports and empirical data to decide whether there’s a significant risk of catching whatever it is, and enough risk if I do catch it to care.

I remember saying to a friend (early on) “it’s not like this is malaria”, and she just said “oh I’ve had malaria twice, it’s not actually that bad” (she’s a wildlife photographer who also does conservation work in Africa).

The biggest scandal of this whole thing is that they duped people with working immune systems into thinking that Covid was dangerous, and the next biggest is that the rules in place (whatever they were at whenever time) treated everyone equally rather than reflecting risk profile.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 11:07 AM
The City

^ Covid IS dangerous to unvaccinated, unhealthy, and elderly people—relatively speaking.

But details and nuance are not something that humans take to well. As evidenced by all of the stupidity that persists today

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 2:56 PM
你的媽媽

The paradigm shift continues.

Quote:
Airbnb allows employees to live and work from anywhere
today

Airbnb will allow its employees to live and work almost anywhere around the world, fully embracing a remote work policy to attract staff and ensure flexibility.

The San Francisco short-term-stay company said late Thursday that under the new policy, employees can work from the office, home or during their travels to 170 countries.

Staff will still have to meet in person for regular team meetings and events, CEO Brian Chesky said in a message to employees. Salaries won’t change if employees decide to move.

Employees can spend up to three months working in each country they visit every year but they will still need a permanent address for tax and payroll reasons, which involves a “mountain of complexities,” but Chesky said the company is working on an open-source solution.

The new policy will put the company in a better position to hire and retain the best people by not “limiting the talent pool to a commuting radius around our offices,” Chesky said. Remote work and flexibility “will become the predominant way that we all work 10 years from now,” he said.
https://apnews.com/article/technolog...fcdff6ef4ed06e

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 3:04 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I will completely ignore CDC travel advisories going forward, of course. I’ll look at reports and empirical data to decide whether there’s a significant risk of catching whatever it is, and enough risk if I do catch it to care.

I remember saying to a friend (early on) “it’s not like this is malaria”, and she just said “oh I’ve had malaria twice, it’s not actually that bad” (she’s a wildlife photographer who also does conservation work in Africa).

The biggest scandal of this whole thing is that they duped people with working immune systems into thinking that Covid was dangerous, and the next biggest is that the rules in place (whatever they were at whenever time) treated everyone equally rather than reflecting risk profile.
larp and blithe nonsense.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
This truly is the biggest silver lining from the whole pandemic. I'm currently shopping around for a new job, and the majority of all of them are remote. I'm not even mildly worried about having to move anywhere for a job anymore.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Covid IS dangerous to unvaccinated, unhealthy, and elderly people—relatively speaking.

But details and nuance are not something that humans take to well. As evidenced by all of the stupidity that persists today
Well, unvaccinated and very unhealthy and/or elderly. It’s still not dangerous to unvaccinated people with no health issues (old age is a health issue), especially not the latest variants. And vaccinated old people are as safe as they’ll ever be.

Since vaccination is a choice available to everyone, this simply isn’t a thing anymore. People who want to make things like masks on public transportation permanent need to be resisted strongly.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 4:54 PM

I'm not sure I agree based on the once healthy friends and co-workers I have who are suffering effects of long covid long after they had the virus. Something like 10-40% suffer at least one lingering symptom (breathing and heart issues, brain fog). I'm getting my second booster tomorrow (just turned 51) because I have a wedding, a commencement, and some vacation traveling to do this summer and, as a runner, I value my lungs too much to take a chance on long covid.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 8:30 PM

By the numbers, Portland which is basically all of Multnomah Co is in a bad way. We've only recovered 58 percent of all pre pandemic employment. The other two counties that make up the metro area are basically back to pre pandemic numbers, with 85 and 93 percent of their jobs. Its been a bumpy ride for the central city and we're far into the woods still. Im torn. If I stick it out, I might go insane here. If I leave that means doomsayers win. I don't think all the wfh ppl have considered the civic domino effect their choice is going to have. I guess the next time they go downtown to see the sights, and all the sights are out of business they'll know. Oh yeah and the downtown Apple store still has a 20 ft riot fence. The fight for the heart of Oregon voters is on too. The governor's race is insane. There's like 40 candidates. Its turned into a progressive vs moderate showdown. Get yer popcorn. I suppose if there is a saving grace, our reputation as a city of neighborhoods seems more cogent than ever. People are really coming out droves to patronize their local businesses. Most of the popular neighborhood strips have fared pretty good.

Last edited by pdxtex; Apr 29, 2022 at 8:48 PM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2022, 12:44 AM

I’m actually going to Portland for the first time in August. We’re staying downtown at the Porter. I’ve never been to the PNW so I’m really excited.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2022, 2:12 AM

Quote:
By the numbers, Portland which is basically all of Multnomah Co is in a bad way. We've only recovered 58 percent of all pre pandemic employment. The other two counties that make up the metro area are basically back to pre pandemic numbers, with 85 and 93 percent of their jobs. Its been a bumpy ride for the central city and we're far into the woods still. Im torn. If I stick it out, I might go insane here. If I leave that means doomsayers win. I don't think all the wfh ppl have considered the civic domino effect their choice is going to have. I guess the next time they go downtown to see the sights, and all the sights are out of business they'll know. Oh yeah and the downtown Apple store still has a 20 ft riot fence. The fight for the heart of Oregon voters is on too. The governor's race is insane. There's like 40 candidates. Its turned into a progressive vs moderate showdown. Get yer popcorn. I suppose if there is a saving grace, our reputation as a city of neighborhoods seems more cogent than ever. People are really coming out droves to patronize their local businesses. Most of the popular neighborhood strips have fared pretty good.
How is NW 23rd street doing? I thinks that's the street. Years ago I stayed at a hotel near Portland State Univ and walked somewhere and caught a train to NW 23rd. Stunning was the whole experience.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2022, 3:44 AM

^^^23rd and 21st are both looking pretty good. The pearl is fine too. I was just up there a week or two ago. Lots of foot traffic which makes me hopeful. Barely any vacancies at all. Downtown south of Burnside and east of Broadway to PSU is spotty. Lots and lots of vacancies but hopefully that changes as offices start bringing ppl back. Even city employees haven't returned which seems ludicrous to me. Most of the protest scars have been cleaned up and there aren't alot of boarded up windows. Smashed windows was last years favorite tiktok fad. Old Town is scary as fuck for the uninitiated. Keep your hands and legs inside the vehicle at all times! They estimated there were 700 tents in old town during their last point in time survey. Not 70. Seven hundreddd. That so bad.

Last edited by pdxtex; Apr 30, 2022 at 3:56 AM.

Old Posted May 4, 2022, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Portland still has a few mask stragglers. Covid has killed the downtown economy tho. So many empty storefronts. Wfh has crippled civic culture. Way to go introverts.
Are they introverts if they still come to the city on the weekends? People aren't filling up office towers so restaurants who lived off that business are struggling. But if you can survive without that and live for the weekends, many of these cities are packed more than they were pre-pandemic. Folks just don't want to go into the office but they still want to hang out. This is what San Francisco is like right now and DTLA from what I've noticed. I'm willing to bet most cities are this way, even ones open during the pandemic like Atlanta. Gotta find a way to repurpose many of these office towers. Perhaps new permanent residents in these office conversions will help the businesses that relied on office workers from those same buildings.

Old Posted May 4, 2022, 11:29 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Finally got back to the States after contacting covid on vacation in Australia. Our new reality flying overseas is that you may not be able to go on your vacation or you might not be able to return.

I am 52 but physically fit and healthy along with being vaccinated and boosted and still got pretty sick. I was actually a little concerned that things were going to continue to get progressively worse and paxlovid was not available in Sydney.

Fortunately I finally tested negative and was able to come home but still have a cough and shortness of breath more than two weeks later. I certainly do not want to get sick with this shit again. I am not sure what variant I had but it better offer me protection from this new one affecting NY right now. For me this was worse than a bad cold.

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 3:00 PM
The City

^ Meh, doesn't sound that bad to me. I've been that sick before a few times.

Certainly nothing worth imposing criminal lockdowns and unnecessarily harsh metrics over.

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 4:28 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Meh, doesn't sound that bad to me. I've been that sick before a few times.

Certainly nothing worth imposing criminal lockdowns and unnecessarily harsh metrics over.
I agree. I am not advocating lockdowns or mask wearing or anything. That would all suck.

I am just saying that I got sicker than I expected and it is a real drag with overseas travel. I am glad I didn't tell the airline I tested positive because then they won't let you fly for 11 days even if you test negative. I just extended my stay 7 days and fortunately tested negative in time for the new flight. Nevertheless it was an extra 2K in hotel and $700 for dog sitting so it was an extra expensive trip.

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 4:42 PM
The City

^ I hear ya.

Yeah, that's why I don't fly overseas. Until the world gets past the mental illness that is COVID, I'm not going to bother.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions