HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I still think this doesn’t belong here. The podium is admittedly well-designed, with an attractive facade and no parking visible (looks like a bit of office space as a liner).

However, I think it’s too important for Chicago to have a bonafide midrise neighborhood, with 2-4 story buildings mixed in. The city even put in the planning effort to make that happen. For various reasons, we’re unlikely to build this kind of environment anywhere else for the foreseeable future... Dearborn Park forced the South Loop into a total highrise development pattern, and River North/Streeterville are already full of highrises. Industrial areas along the river could be developed as midrise, but those areas have large lots and a very flawed street grid so they’ll never develop the same urban patterns.

What they should do is move this one to the Randolph/Halsted site behind Haymarket, as a proper architectural beacon for the main “entrance” of West Loop.
I agree with this except that it should be a midrise district bounded by high rises along Lake, Halsted, Ike and Ashland. They could throw in contributions to transit funding for height bumps because of their transit adjacencies

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction