HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 6:44 PM
Ignore these four words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
^You can see drywalling has already started on some floors facing Portage.

I don't know, Buzzg, unless you're a four dimensional being - sure. But I can't see anything facing Portage from those pictures.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 7:26 PM

Quote:
I work next door...that same pile of bricks has sat in that dumpster all summer. Rarely has there been a contractor vehicle on-site all summer as well. There must be something that is holding this project up.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 7:32 PM

The design?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 7:34 PM

Quote:
I work next door...that same pile of bricks has sat in that dumpster all summer. Rarely has there been a contractor vehicle on-site all summer as well. There must be something that is holding this project up.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 7:37 PM

The design?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 12:37 AM

Little worried they'll reevaluate if P&M stays closed. Is that crazy? It just feels VERY cut off from everything with P&M as is.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG View Post
I don't know, Buzzg, unless you're a four dimensional being - sure. But I can't see anything facing Portage from those pictures.
Wasn't judging by pictures, was judging by the fact that I walked by it and saw people putting up drywall framing in the window, think in the third floor. Thanks though.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 12:50 PM
Ignore these four words.

Quote:
Wasn't judging by pictures, was judging by the fact that I walked by it and saw people putting up drywall framing in the window, think in the third floor. Thanks though.
Yes, I kind of figured that - just being facetious.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 4:02 PM

Quote:

When was that?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
Little worried they'll reevaluate if P&M stays closed. Is that crazy? It just feels VERY cut off from everything with P&M as is.
Maybe they have assurances that will not be announced until after the civic election? (Yeah, I know it's against "transparency in government" and all that, but on this issue I have to admit my love of democracy is feeling strained).

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 4:52 PM
BANNED

one possible situation could be with the hotelier - the first and only Hyatt Place in Canada opened in the past 2~ years in Edmonton and losts the rights to the Hyatt naming because of poor maintenance (among other things) on the property... maybe they are having doubts about the franchisee(?) or the optics of Hyatt Place in the Canadian market?

https://globalnews.ca/news/4431110/h...n-infestation/

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 5:23 PM

^ Do those projects involve the same owners, though?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 6:15 PM
BANNED

The owner of the Edmonton hotel does not invest money back into his company's hotels. He opens them, then expects money to pour in, but does not spend.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 3:49 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Well, whoever they are, they already paid for the franchise rights with P&M closed. Highly unlikely they'd back out now especially after they've already started construction. Not to mention that the Fairmont seems to do just fine and it's been there for how many decades?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 12:44 PM

Yeah, I would be surprised if the entire project hinges on whether P&M opens. At the end of the day it's still the same distance to key destinations downtown.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Well, whoever they are, they already paid for the franchise rights with P&M closed. Highly unlikely they'd back out now especially after they've already started construction. Not to mention that the Fairmont seems to do just fine and it's been there for how many decades?
yeah but the fairmont is a full-service hotel -- restaurants, conference and event venues, etc. all in house.

hyatt place is sort of a three-star chain. nice, but won't likely have the same set of in-hotel amenities. much more dependent on surrounding area.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
When was that?
Last week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
The owner of the Edmonton hotel does not invest money back into his company's hotels. He opens them, then expects money to pour in, but does not spend.
Yeah, he spent an absolute fortune on the Edmonton one, it’s jaw-dropping. But it’s kind of in the middle of nowhere, which is why it’s not doing well.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 1:07 PM

^ The Tripadvisor reviews for that Edmonton Hyatt Place are perplexing... how do you spend so much money on a brand new, very nice looking hotel and then just run it straight into the ground like that?

Can someone confirm that the Edmonton location's owners have nothing to do with the Winnipeg location?!?!

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 1:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
yeah but the fairmont is a full-service hotel -- restaurants, conference and event venues, etc. all in house.

hyatt place is sort of a three-star chain. nice, but won't likely have the same set of in-hotel amenities. much more dependent on surrounding area.
Do we actually know what’s in it? The addition on top amd the side?
I can see a lot of room on the top for something special given it’s veiw of Human Rights museum and Shaw Park.
I don’t think this is comparable to the Edmonton one either. It’s not usually the owners fault. More the mamnagment and general location. And this side of portage seems to be starting to grow. Off Earls moves and that’s strip gets developed. That’s a huge boost even to the Humphrey let alone the new hotel. If the Forks EVER get gong. That’s the game changer. I’d look at it more likely as a 4 star in its current configuration and location. Now of those parking lots and the Nitty club were repurposed you could really change the area.

All in all for an old office tower I think this design looks fantastic. It’s not like it’s the confederation building here. Into always thought it was just a warehouse lol

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 1:45 PM

^ Good point re: the location. I guess the location of the Edmonton Hyatt Place isn't helping... it's on the edge of a pretty gritty neighbourhood. It would be like building a Hyatt Place on the big vacant lot right at Logan and Main. Not far from the Exchange and Downtown, but in a bit of a rough neighbourhood compared to what typical Hyatt clients would be used to.

The worst you can really say about Portage E. is that it's pretty dead in terms of street life. But it's by no means a sketchy or unsafe place.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan