Ste-Catherine street west.

Photo: https://www.instagram.com/jyclal/
Nice!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 9:31 PM
Registered Drug User

Dreamy Toronto pics.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 11:54 PM
菠蘿油

Those stills from the Toronto video are amazing...

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 2:52 AM
Registered Drug User

Where's this? (from one of the drone videos)

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Where's this? (from one of the drone videos)

Seems to be the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre (or surrounding area - I'm not sure what's considered part of VMC and what isn't).

My first guess was Oshawa, but "ARTWALK" gave it away as not-Oshawa.

The biggest clue was the Lowe's.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 8:07 AM

Spring Garden area:

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 7:19 PM
Riki beach

Rimouski - Saint-Robert district center this afternoon

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 7:30 PM

Awesome pics of Halifax. Spring Garden road, my old stomping grounds. The area around the courthouse and the library has changed so much it took me a second to recognize it. Great shots Hali, thanks for sharing them!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
Awesome pics of Halifax. Spring Garden road, my old stomping grounds. The area around the courthouse and the library has changed so much it took me a second to recognize it. Great shots Hali, thanks for sharing them!
No problem! I think it's interesting that Spring Garden has managed to keep its overall character/vibe despite all the changes - basically "quirky and upscale". The sidestreets are getting a bit confusing to navigate (as a driver, pedestrian, cyclist) due to the crazy amount of road signs and unexplained bollards etc.

The Spring Garden/Robie corner has a bunch of towers proposed (some but not all of the existing buildings there are being moved rather than just demolished) and the current midrise boom actually extends up Coburg all the way to Oxford Street. On the other hand, the old Memorial Library is still vacant and the Howe Hall parking lot is still a weirdly large gap along Coburg. Artillery Park is also a weird mystery that takes up a lot of space in the area while not really being clear whether or not it's open to visitors (so no one ever goes).

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 8:38 PM

Eastern Passage, south of Dartmouth, the largest of Halifax's "fishing village suburbs". This canal-like area has always fascinated me - a lot of the local businesses are accessible by boat:

Source

This is one of the areas that's often brought up for potential new ferry routes. It's about 15-30 minutes from Downtown Halifax by boat (depending on speed/route) and probably well over an hour in heavy traffic (or ~25 with no traffic). It's hard to know whether the Shearwater airfield and the old refinery lands will be redeveloped in the foreseeable future; as of now they really cut EP off from "the rest of" Dartmouth. Like Magazine Hill, they will probably just sort of "take up the space without really using it" until the end of time.

Last edited by Hali87; Jan 19, 2023 at 8:54 PM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 10:48 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
On the other hand, the old Memorial Library is still vacant and the Howe Hall parking lot is still a weirdly large gap along Coburg. Artillery Park is also a weird mystery that takes up a lot of space in the area while not really being clear whether or not it's open to visitors (so no one ever goes).
Almost all of the weird underused sites around the urban core of Halifax are owned by the public sector one way or another, with one puzzling exception being the United Gulf site.

There are pockets of newer postwar development around downtown that were military land that was sold off for development. There were a lot of barracks around the Citadel that disappeared sometime during the 20th century. Even inside the Citadel itself as late as the 50's or 60's there were more structures than today. The current arrangement of a stripped-down internal parade square surrounded by a giant lawn on the old town side is a bit contrived.

It seems like around the 70's or so most of those sites became more or less stuck as-is and some are now out of sync with the areas around them. Artillery Park has some nice old buildings including 1812 era stuff but the arrangement of the space doesn't really make sense, it feels like a special historical site maintained for military personnel, and some aspects of the maintenance are extremely utilitarian.

I wonder if some of these military sites could shift from military style planning to more of a heritage and urban development mode. Somewhat ironically some of these are probably in worse shape because they are still semi-active, and if they had been completely deemed surplus they would have evolved into something better.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 11:13 PM

Alderney Landing and Portland Street in Downtown Dartmouth (immediately north of King's Wharf) :

Source

Looking down Prince Street (Downtown Halifax) from the Citadel (photo is a few months old):

Source

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 11:53 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
No problem! I think it's interesting that Spring Garden has managed to keep its overall character/vibe despite all the changes - basically "quirky and upscale". The sidestreets are getting a bit confusing to navigate (as a driver, pedestrian, cyclist) due to the crazy amount of road signs and unexplained bollards etc.

The Spring Garden/Robie corner has a bunch of towers proposed (some but not all of the existing buildings there are being moved rather than just demolished) and the current midrise boom actually extends up Coburg all the way to Oxford Street. On the other hand, the old Memorial Library is still vacant and the Howe Hall parking lot is still a weirdly large gap along Coburg. Artillery Park is also a weird mystery that takes up a lot of space in the area while not really being clear whether or not it's open to visitors (so no one ever goes).
It's always been pretty clear anytime I've passed it that the artillery site that it has restricted access. The fence is plastered with no trespassing signs and everything but the main entrance is kept locked. Fortunately I got to tour it once during doors open and some of it is quite spectacular. The library in particular

Old Posted Jan 21, 2023, 1:29 AM

Awesome pics of Halifax and Dartmouth.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2023, 1:49 AM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 21, 2023, 3:56 AM

More from the first real snow day of 2023, Downtown Halifax:

Source

Source

Last edited by Hali87; Jan 21, 2023 at 4:42 AM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2023, 12:12 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Vancouver rain from last night

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 10:14 PM

A fire at a restaurant on Grafton Street in Downtown Halifax today (The Stubborn Goat) - from what I've heard no one was injured although the restaurant's interior was badly damaged.

Source

Source

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada