HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 3:18 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

De Blasio: Columbia a ‘natural choice’ for Obama library

Quote:
Columbia University is "a very natural choice" for the future Barack Obama Presidential Library, Mayor Bill de Blasio said.

"I write today in support of Columbia's University's proposal to host the Barack Obama Presidential Library at its new campus in West Harlem," the mayor said in a letter to The Barack Obama Foundation obtained by Capital. "Columbia's scholarly distinction and leadership on global issues are a testament to the cultural and intellectual richness that draws so many visitors, students, thought leaders and entrepreneurs to New York; and that cultural and intellectual wealth makes us an outsanding option for the President's future library."

"Moreover, as the President's alma mater, Columbia is a very natural choice," wrote De Blasio, who completed his master's degree at Columbia's School of International and Public Affairs.

He also praised Columbia's ongoing expansion into Manhattanville, where the library would be sited.

"In the development of its Manhattanville campus, Columbia has been deeply committed to community engagement," he wrote. "'Columbia University in the City of New York' isn't just a name. It is a name that reflects the deep and mutually supportive relationship between the University and New York City."

The letter was dated Jun. 6, 2014, 10 days before responses to the foundation's initial request for qualifications were due.

Columbia is vying with the University of Chicago, whose proposal requires public parkland, to host the library. The University of Illinois at Chicago and the University of Hawaii have also submitted bids.

The foundation has said it plans to decide within the first quarter of 2015.
=================================
http://www.capitalnewyork.com/articl...-obama-library

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 3:06 PM

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 4:50 PM
The City

^ Sneed is always obsessing about the Obamas having the library in New York.

To be honest, I don't really care where the Obama Library goes. I'm not even sure why every President needs to have a Presidential Library

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 3:06 AM
TL;DR

Odd that he is the only one reporting this, over and over again. Seems like a red herring to me, that perfectly plays on the insecurities of the "second city".

What additional concessions does Valerie Jarrett want from the good people of Chicago?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 11:26 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
Thats going to be one secure building with all of the secret service depending on which one they choose.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 11:34 PM

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 2:05 AM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
Wow this is basically a Chicago smear piece smh this is journalism?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPChicago View Post
Wow this is basically a Chicago smear piece smh this is journalism?
Obama said yesterday that he hopes the museum is in Chicago.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Obama said yesterday that he hopes the museum is in Chicago.
You'd think the president's remarks were timed for a reason or something:

Quote:
City Council Approves Obama Library Land Transfer

The Chicago City Council on Wednesday voted 47-0 to turn over about 20 acres in one of two South Side parks for Barack Obama's presidential library in the event that the University of Chicago's bid for the project is chosen.

The ordinance to transfer the land in either Jackson Park or Washington Park had the support of Mayor Rahm Emanuel and already has gotten the endorsement of the Chicago Park District, the city Plan Commission and a special joint City Council committee.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...317-story.html
Obama's remarks were basically a direct threat to the City Council and probably Chuy. This next article should really be titled: "Hey guys, you are the front runners, don't fuck it up"...

Quote:
Obama on his library: 'I hope it goes to Chicago'

President Barack Obama says he hopes his presidential library lands in Chicago, according to an editorial that appeared Tuesday on the Chicago Tribune website.

Obama made the statement during a brief conversation at the Gridiron Club dinner in Washington on Saturday. When the Tribune asked him where the library would go, the president answered, "I hope it goes to Chicago," the editorial said. But the president also added that there were "some entanglements," according to the editorial.

Obama did not explain which entanglements he was referring to. However, the City Council is expected to vote Wednesday on a controversial plan to transfer about 20 acres of public parkland on the South Side over to the city's control if the University of Chicago is awarded the library.
Yes, "sour entanglements", like an unfinished reelection of his buddy Rahm. I hate when "sour entanglements" force me to openly state my position in an interview with the Tribune that will be published the day before the City Council passes the item I need for my Library to move ahead...

The Rahm agenda will not be stopped, the Tribune, Obama, the Chicago elite, they are all in on it. It's almost glaringly obvious how much the media is working in favor of Rahm right now. Hey, I ain't complainin' though.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 3:10 AM

Well this is good news for Chicago

Quote:
Chicago on track for Obama library; foundation consults with McKinsey guru
Posted: 04/14/2015, 08:19pm | Lynn Sweet

WASHINGTON — The re-election of Mayor Rahm Emanuel cleared the way for Chicago to soon officially win the Obama library, museum and academic center, though a decision on whether the complex will be in Washington Park or Jackson Park won’t be made until later this year.

Meanwhile, the Chicago Sun-Times has learned that the Chicago-based Barack Obama Foundation and the Obama White House, structuring the next chapter for President Barack Obama and first lady Michelle, are consulting with Lynn Taliento, a partner in the McKinsey & Company Washington office.

The library site

Everything I am hearing leads to the foundation recommending the University of Chicago bid to the Obamas, who will make the final decisions.

The bid announcement, first scheduled for the end of March, was delayed until after Chicago’s April 7 mayoral election.

A source close to the process told me the verdict is still out between Jackson Park and Washington Park....

http://chicago.suntimes.com/chicago-...-mckinsey-guru

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 6:26 AM

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#sectio.../p2p-83355240/

Quote:
Mayor Emanuel sees prize in Obama library, not bid for Olympics

Katherine Skiba, Chicago Tribune

7:51 pm, April 21, 2015

Mayor Rahm Emanuel said Tuesday he doesn't have any plans to pursue future Olympic games for Chicago and sees a bigger payoff in landing the Obama presidential library and museum.

"I'm bidding on a presidential library," Emanuel said in Washington, where he gave two speeches Tuesday. "You all can have the Olympics."

The library would be "an Olympics with an annuity that gives every year," Emanuel said, citing a bump in tourism, economic development and job creation.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 3:19 AM

Report: Obama could announce library site choice in May

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sneed/7/...-choice-in-may

Supposedly Obama is travelling to Chicago in May, rumor has it that he is announcing Chicago has been selected for his library.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 11:11 PM

I just heard on ABC7 that CHICAGO IS THE CHOICE

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 11:35 PM

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...ary-in-chicago

April 30, 2015
Obama will put his library in Chicago

GREG HINZ ON POLITICS

Quote:
It looks like Chicago finally is getting the news it wanted: The Barack Obama Presidential Library and Museum is coming to Chicago's South Side.

Both NBC and CBS' local affiliate are reporting that the deal is done, and a source close to the matter here tells me that the University of Chicago has been informed officially of the decision that its bid to host the facility has been chosen.

It's not clear yet whether the commission planning the facility and the president favor the proposed Washington Park site or an alternate location in Jackson Park. But I'm told reliably that an announcement will be made the week of May 11, and preparations for it are underway.

The last real obstacle to the museum locating here appears to have been lifted last week, when the Illinois General Assembly quickly approved legislation requested by Obama designed to block any legal action against using Chicago Park District property for the facility.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 2:45 AM
TL;DR

So Obama managed to get a free donation of valuable park land in the park of his choice, he got a state law passed confirming his right to said parkland, and he got a prominent civic leader ousted for being critical.

If Rahm bends over backwards any further, he'll turn into a pretzel. This library will be good for the city, probably, but now the City of Chicago and its inhabitants are in a ridiculous position of weakness when it comes to the Obama Foundation.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
So Obama managed to get a free donation of valuable park land in the park of his choice, he got a state law passed confirming his right to said parkland, and he got a prominent civic leader ousted for being critical.

If Rahm bends over backwards any further, he'll turn into a pretzel. This library will be good for the city, probably, but now the City of Chicago and its inhabitants are in a ridiculous position of weakness when it comes to the Obama Foundation.

Yes, President Obama did all that

Perhaps the people in those communities wanted the Library/Foundation in their neighborhood. Perhaps the alderman in those areas wanted the institution in their neighborhood. Maybe the mayor wanted this for his city and now it's been done.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 3:07 AM
The City

^ Yeah really. I don't see the "slippery slope" people keep whining about. It's not as if Presidents and billionaires propose massive museums on Chicago parkland more than once in a century.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 3:28 AM

Chicago gets the Obama Presidential Library. Will the area it gets put in see any economic benefits after awhile?

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 3:57 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post

Perhaps the people in those communities wanted the Library/Foundation in their neighborhood. Perhaps the alderman in those areas wanted the institution in their neighborhood. Maybe the mayor wanted this for his city and now it's been done.
I think we are all elated its coming to Chicago. I have myself eyed that parcel for yeras on MLK and Garfield imaging how ideally just such a library would fit there.

However we are shamelessly throwing away all provisions that centered on protecting Chicago parkland for generations. That Chicago has changed its own rules for the convenience and the whims of the foundation are really undeniable. And who heads the foundation? At the end of the day it is Michelle and Barack Obama. Would the "foundation" had asked NYC to put such a library in Central Park? Why do they ask it of their home town? What if the foundation would have requested the library to in Butler Field in Grant Park would the city have bent over backwards to contort the rules to see it happen? My guess given the eagerness and fear of the the city's political elites is yes.

That money and connected interest make the rules as they go is exemplified yet again. The same as Ricketts running roughshod over the land marking of their own ballpark and the city bending over as eagerly as they could just so the city and its leaders could claim victory.

I think one can still be happy about the library coming here and feel a little dirty and slightly disgusted by the process. There is no obligation to be a cheerleader who can't fathom that the President's ego has gotten out a bit in front in this scenario. It certainly wasn't someone below the President to stubbornly go over Michelle or his head and will not let the library in a park idea die. We can't be that naive to suggest that they alone aren't the main agitators behind such insistence for the library in the park. One would just have hoped that the Obama's would certainly be happy with the acres of land west of Washington Park. That they don't need parkland in a park starved city in order to make a high quality library. A little thoughtfulness about the park previous ordinance's and a little bit less ego would reflect better on the the President.

My hope is that after getting done with more important issues that a President must that there will be just a little bit of reflection and they will not build the main structure in the park itself. Hopefully they will just use the designated park space as a Presidential Garden or greenery of some kind. Not only do I think is that showing proper respect of the original park ordinance but also likely a better result from a schematic and design perspective. I just imagine a library holding the corner at MLK and Garfield Blvd being a part of new street wall as making a more impressive entryway then plopping it down at the edge of the park.

Don't get me wrong I am ecstatic its coming to Chicago and going in the general location it is. And I will still be very happy even if the build the main wing in the park. Anyone, liberal or conservative, who feels any affinity for this city should take off their partisan glasses and see how awesome and beneficial it is.

Last edited by nomarandlee; May 1, 2015 at 5:49 AM.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 5:23 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post

It's not about whether the library is good or bad.

The ends don't always justify the means, and this library has had some pretty messed-up means thus far.

Will you be so supportive if Obama decides to hire RAMSA to design his library? (They already did the Bush one, after all.) That's the problem - by sacrificing the civic debate over the location on public parkland, we're signalling to the Obama Foundation that they have carte blanche and they don't need to listen to the public. They don't need to pay attention to decent urban planning principles, because they're more important than the park's thousands of daily users. They don't need to pay attention to architectural critics, because they're more important than Olmsted or the city's architectural legacy.

Will you be so supportive if the library is built in Jackson Park, but the requirement to supply replacement parkland is ignored and forgotten? That stuff happens all the time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development