HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 7:14 PM

If construction for these starts in 2020, can we expect to hear something soon regarding the construction of the proposed intercity bus hub where the Cira surfacing parking lot is now (north of 30th St Station)? I can't imagine Bolt will still be making stops on this stretch of JFK, its current home, during construction of these towers, and I don't know where else they would go as an intermediate home.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domodeez View Post
If construction for these starts in 2020, can we expect to hear something soon regarding the construction of the proposed intercity bus hub where the Cira surfacing parking lot is now (north of 30th St Station)? I can't imagine Bolt will still be making stops on this stretch of JFK, its current home, during construction of these towers, and I don't know where else they would go as an intermediate home.
I asked the same thing earlier. I have to assume they’ll relocate? I agree that it makes no sense for them to continue doing it on that stretch of road.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 6:10 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Maybe they can turn that little parking lot next to Cira (where the bus hub is supposed to go anyway) into a temporary bus station while they're working on these buildings?

Incidentally, the Cira II site is now called Parcel 1:

Factsheet

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Last edited by hammersklavier; Aug 24, 2019 at 6:27 AM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 12:39 PM

I'm a little bummed that the terracotta red will only be used for the base of the building, the rest of the building is simply painted aluminum. I think there's no doubt the base and the aluminum panels will be different colors (you can see the base (terracotta) is more so crimson/maroon in the renderings)--which I'm ok with, I just hope the building does not appear cheap. I guess I was a little naïve thinking that terracotta cladding would be used all over... but 111 West 57th Street going up in NYC runs terra-cotta up 2 sides of a 1,428 ft tower (a SHoP architects production)… remember, PAU is essentially a SHoP spin-off.

I'll be waiting to see the mock-up on site. Also, in the CDR, the type of "red" isn't really described other than the use of a Josef Albers - color theory print. I'd love to be in on those meetings--this red vs. that red.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
I'm a little bummed that the terracotta red will only be used for the base of the building, the rest of the building is simply painted aluminum. I think there's no doubt the base and the aluminum panels will be different colors (you can see the base (terracotta) is more so crimson/maroon in the renderings)--which I'm ok with, I just hope the building does not appear cheap. I guess I was a little naïve thinking that terracotta cladding would be used all over... but 111 West 57th Street going up in NYC runs terra-cotta up 2 sides of a 1,428 ft tower (a SHoP architects production)… remember, PAU is essentially a SHoP spin-off.

I'll be waiting to see the mock-up on site. Also, in the CDR, the type of "red" isn't really described other than the use of a Josef Albers - color theory print. I'd love to be in on those meetings--this red vs. that red.
One Vanderbilt also uses white terracotta the entire 1400+ ft length of the tower. https://forum.skyscraperpage.com/sho...99737&page=182 Our economics are not New York's, but I also hope the building does not look cheap or the contrast between the base and remainder too great.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 4:53 PM
Philly Pholly

Game changer

3003 JFK Blvd 9 by

Just sayin

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 4:36 PM

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 4:38 PM

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 6:04 PM

There's still a supertall in those renderings

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 6:57 PM

Ultimately I like 3001, I just hate the top stack hanging off the edge. Reminds me of 2 World Trade Center (which I hate)

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 1:43 PM

Philly’s design world adores the city’s first fire-engine red skyscraper

https://whyy.org/articles/phillys-de...ed-skyscraper/

Quote:
The red tower and its more demure residential twin received rapturous feedback at Philadelphia’s Civic Design Review committee on Tuesday. At least one person echoed recent praise from Inquirer architecture critic Inga Saffron, not typically a fan of Philly’s corporate architecture.

“The addition of this red building into the skyline — it’s a risk, but I think this is a very daring and attractive project,” said Leo Addimando, managing partner with the Alterra Property Group and a member of the CDR committee.
Bus pick up and drop off is moving.

Quote:
Ashley DiCaro, a CDR member with Interface Studios, asked whether the barren stretch of John F. Kennedy Boulevard to the west of 30th Street would still be used as a pick up and drop off zone for bus companies like Bolt and MegaBus.

The answer is no. The bus services will move away from the rejuevatened area.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 3:07 PM
Philly Pholly

"its more demure residential twin"
Should I read this as the smaller tower is residential?
That's an exciting surprise.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
This is huge. That area is going to feel so much different. I also have a perfect view of the site from UCross!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 4:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
Philly’s design world adores the city’s first fire-engine red skyscraper

https://whyy.org/articles/phillys-de...ed-skyscraper/

I said it before but it bears repeating: the color is not the problem with this building. It's the massing. It's boxy and top-heavy. Why is no one talking about that? why is everyone so focused on the color?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
I said it before but it bears repeating: the color is not the problem with this building. It's the massing. It's boxy and top-heavy. Why is no one talking about that? why is everyone so focused on the color?
Because people don't care that it's boxy and top-heavy -- they like it.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Not every building has to look like the Shard. It's playful - like Children's blocks. It's unique and it'll instantly become one of the most interesting buildings on our skyline.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
It's almost like this stuff is subjective or something.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 11:34 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Of course it it. Like belly buttons, everyone has an opinion on size, shape, color, etc. Fun to bat it around as a discussion but unless you are paying for the design, your opinion is not the final...LOL.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 2:09 PM
PHL

Quote:
Because it's unique and cool. Honestly when we talk about these huge master plans like SY it's easy to forget about the individuality of each design required to make the whole project actually come to fruition in a quality manner. This tower is a great way to show that they're maintaining creativity even within such an ambitious and likely intimidating/overwhelming undertaking. It's different. Not bad.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 3:01 PM

Those columns look so much like the Rohm and Haas buildings outer facade and entrance at ground level--in shape, style. I think PAU was doing a little nod here to a Philly mid-century palace. So damn mid-century mod!
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...px8wEXoECA8QBg

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals