HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 9:43 PM
them bones

Is there a minimum MSA size here? Shocked Santa Barbara isn't on it. My two partners own (4) EV cars between them alone (I'm sticking to ICE until the infrastructure catches up).

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 10:21 PM
Frequent Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
Is there a minimum MSA size here? Shocked Santa Barbara isn't on it. My two partners own (4) EV cars between them alone (I'm sticking to ICE until the infrastructure catches up).
It looks like they went with the top 100 metros. Santa Barbara is the 123rd largest MSA according to wikipedia

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 10:26 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
I was in Orange County this past spring and swear there were more EV's than gas cars, at least driving around Laguna Beach
Chyea, it's pretty common to see Teslas go "four-wide" to use a football term, up here. One Tesla in each lane on a four lane wide freeway.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 10:39 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
It doesn't count as a micropolitan area?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 10:49 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

Quote:
What are we going to do with EV batteries in 5-10 years when they deteriorate. I have power tools that batteries deteriorate after “x” amount of time, and m18 batteries are the best available out. If my $500 12ah battery starts failing from the elements, how long til EV cars batteries start piling up in scrap yards, and then we’re back at a environmental hazard.
A new industry and whole new occupation will emerge to deal with them the way that junkyards as we know them are a product of the automobile age.

Battery shops will be the new transmission shop, since nobody will need transmissions anymore but the battery will be similar when it comes to doing the math to replace/repair/get new car.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
Houston and Dallas are the 2 outliers considering the total number of cars that exist overall in those metros.
Lucid Motors is expanding in Texas, so hopefully that shows there's more demand.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2022, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Necessity is the mother of invention.

California, as I'm sure you're aware, is unfortunately blessed with all the best ingredients for terrible air quality.
Very true.

And it's amazing how little emissions are necessary to create a visible pollution layer when the topography is a certain configuration. The last time I was in Santa Fe, NM, not exacty a bustling metropolis, the valley between the mountain ranges had a thick layer of NOx and PM due to the topographically induced inversion on that clear, cold morning.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2022, 1:18 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Only 122,000 in the Bay Area? Lies. There are more Teslas here than humans.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2022, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Agreed. Boston seems to be low too but that's likely more due to the fact it's less auto dependent than some of the other top US metros. For cities as autocentric as Houston and Dallas, EV uptake relative to ICE cars seems quite low. I wonder if that has changed in the last 2 years.
EV's struggle in the winter, and Boston experiences real winters like every other Northern city. It's definitely a step up from NYC/Philly in that area. If anything, most people around here have SUVs. They're much easier to handle in the snow. We have to plan for all 4 seasons up here.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2022, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xing View Post
Except the air quality is now significantly cleaner than it use to be.

We have an electric vehicle, and we received a state tax rebate for a significant amount. Now we’re going to get another from the federal government.

So the air quality of the past, the wealth of California, and the tax incentives, all contribute to California being far ahead of the rest of the country. Yes, the tax incentives contribute a lot. So we can use that to see how the federal government’s plan will help us see an increase in EV’s.

All I can say is, “thank god.”

hey, another EV owner. that makes two of us on SSP

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions