HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Forma West in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Toronto Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Toronto Forum   • Toronto Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 1, 2014, 5:52 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

I made diagrams of these towers:

West Tower - http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=103520

East Tower - http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=103519

Toronto diagram - http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?cityID=12

We'll see how long until revisions are made...

Old Posted Jun 1, 2014, 7:59 PM

Good job, as always, koops. I didn't know there was an announced height for the east tower.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 8:16 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
and even then, its only a few people on 2 websites that use it as a "benchmark". The thing that really matters is that this will be Toronto's new tallest building, that is something that more people keep track of.
And promises to be that iconic tower we've been hoping for this whole building cycle. This is the cherry on our sundae.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 3:00 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
And promises to be that iconic tower we've been hoping for this whole building cycle. This is the cherry on our sundae.
Well they will be unique I suppose. Here's hope they get buried behind other buildings very quickly though. They just don't have the style to be tallests. The horizontal patterns and dislocated sections accentuate the width of the buildings making them look stubbier. They aren't absolutely hideous, but their design is not appropriate for a tallest. Lob ~100m or so off them so that the dislocated bit looks proportionate (or just drop the dislocated idea completely) and they would be much nicer.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
Well they will be unique I suppose. Here's hope they get buried behind other buildings very quickly though. They just don't have the style to be tallests. The horizontal patterns and dislocated sections accentuate the width of the buildings making them look stubbier. They aren't absolutely hideous, but their design is not appropriate for a tallest. Lob ~100m or so off them so that the dislocated bit looks proportionate (or just drop the dislocated idea completely) and they would be much nicer.
Despite the promising high-end curtain wall and metal cladding (as seen in 8 spruce street), stacked boxes designs always look cheap and arbitrary. Even straightforward "boxes" like Trump NY or 1 Yorkville look more sophisticated.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 3:31 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
That some people in Toronto don't like this aesthetic is to be expected as no building is liked by all. Gehry is a globally celebrated architect for a reason. His designs win awards and are admired by those in the industry and beyond. If that's not worthy of a city's tallest, nothing else is either.

I'm not interested in dumbing down our buildings to the point that they offend no one. We have far too much of that going around already.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 3:42 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
That some people in Toronto don't like this aesthetic is to be expected as no building is liked by all. Gehry is a globally celebrated architect for a reason. His designs win awards and are admired by those in the industry and beyond. If that's not worthy of a city's tallest, nothing else is either.

I'm not interested in dumbing down our buildings to the point that they offend no one. We have far too much of that going around already.
I'm sorry, but having looked up his other works they're fairly ugly. A skyscraper is meant to be sleak, not bumpy and haphazard. If Toronto could get something like the London Shard that would be nice, but these buildings are not designed to be tallest buildings. Wild patters work for a midrise, but on a highrise they become too much. Like how a paisley tie can work, but a paisley suit is terrifying. It's just too much.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 7:34 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
I'm sorry, but having looked up his other works they're fairly ugly. A skyscraper is meant to be sleak, not bumpy and haphazard.
A skyscraper is meant to be sleek? Where does it say that, in the skyscraper manual? People have different aesthetic preferences and buildings need to represent all citizens, not the preferences of one segment of the population. You don't like Gehry designs, others love them. It's a bit much to expect all building designs to meet one's personal preferences.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 2:12 PM

I just don't like the way it juts out, it's quite awkward to be honest.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 11:53 PM

Final Report from the June Toronto and East York Community Council.......http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2...file-70050.pdf

PROPOSAL, The building on the east side of Ed Mirvish Way would be limited to a maximum height of 275 meters (82 storeys), inclusive of mechanical penthouse, while
the building west of Ed Mirvish Way would be limited to 305 meters (92 storeys), inclusive of mechanical penthouse.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 11:19 AM
gettin' rich!

305 meters is over 1000 feet..

Time to get excited.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
305 meters is over 1000 feet..

Time to get excited.
Yup, i figure we will hear about a couple more in the next year,
with the 1 Yonge Street development (downsize on the amount of bldgs and upsize in height), and the Oxford Place office/residential masterplan
Rumour also has the proposed 45 Bay St. project being a supertall, with 2 million sq. ft. of office space....the future looks good for Toronto

Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 9:12 PM

Where are you getting your rumours, A.G.? Is it a trusted source?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 6:42 PM

The rumours sound plausible. I hope they turn into reality.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 10:20 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Don't forget this was the first version of the curvy Gehry Towers that were recently axed, so things will get better.

THIS

BECAME
I really liked the centre one but the other two looked like turds wrapped in toilet paper. As much as the first ones were a little conservative looking by his standards I almost liked them more. I think the reason the Beekman building in NY worked is because he teamed up with another architect iirc who did the massing. The massing on that tower makes more sense.

The latest version has elements I like, but doesn't feel quite right. I'm hoping the refining process will yield something truly iconic.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2014, 1:54 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.archdaily.com/523766/revi...-gehry-towers/

Revised Design Unveiled for Toronto’s Mirvish+Gehry Towers

July 3, 2014

Quote:
Frank Gehry and Developer David Mirvish have revealed the latest design iteration in their embattled plan to build a set of mixed-use skyscrapers in Toronto. The new design reduces the number of towers, from three to two, however the remaining towers are taller than before, with one at 82 stories and one at 92.

The buildings will house apartments, a new art gallery and space for OCAD University as previously planned, but the decision to use two towers instead of three means that three of the five existing buildings can be retained – including the Princess of Wales Theatre, and two designated heritage warehouses – sidestepping some of the criticisms of the previous scheme.

Speaking to the Toronto Star, Gehry said: “We’ve got a lot of work to do to get to the real stuff; we’re still exploring a lot of materials. But I think I’ve figured out what dignity is with two buildings in Toronto. Now I’m trying to figure out how to give them humanity. There has to be a warmth to them.”

The design of the two towers has also drawn comparisons to Gehry’s Dancing House in Prague, colloquially known as ‘Fred and Ginger’. “Fred and Ginger grew up and moved to Toronto,” Gehry said. ”In a way, two towers feel better. It’s not so crowded.”

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2014, 2:50 PM

I always thought certain American architecture was a little dry. But when visiting Toronto a couple weeks ago I couldn't help but cringe. Toronto's skyline needs work, it doesn't look like Gehry is going to reinvent the wheel here.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2014, 3:42 PM
BANNED

For the most part, you are correct! Architecture here is conservative. While cities in other parts of the world are starting to look futuristic, North America remains rather banal. I am a fan of the stricter designs officials in Melbourne are demanding...

Old Posted Jul 6, 2014, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie boy View Post
For the most part, you are correct! Architecture here is conservative. While cities in other parts of the world are starting to look futuristic, North America remains rather banal. I am a fan of the stricter designs officials in Melbourne are demanding...
Well it's not about looking futuristic necessarily, Toronto is actually doing kind of well in that category (a lot of blue glass boxes going up, just not supertalls yet.) It's more about how well the skyline holds up over time and the buildings that make it up. The most futuristic skylines aren't necessarily the best. Although there is more new construction in Canada right now than in the US, I would say architecture in Canada is even more conservative when it comes to homes and towers. (Although for public projects it seems like Canada has a leg up.)

Old Posted Jul 6, 2014, 6:33 PM

I don't like the mismatch in scale. They look like they'd topple over and take out all the low-rise buildings around it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction