HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 1:53 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Hear that distant rumble?

It's the slow but sure return of the new construction, highrise condo market

For all of Rodkin's description of this tower, he couldn't obtain a rendering to include with the article? I mean, it sounds interesting, but then again it's P/H, so I'll keep my enthusiasm firmly curbed......

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 1:57 PM

Quote:

From Crains
Not really feeling this one at it's location on the Michigan Ave streetwall. A design like this would work much better in a location like Parcel O in LSE, next to Aqua. Where the base could match up to the active use podium of Aqua, and then all the structural elements would rise up above the pedestrians like a sculpture. And the open air nature of the structure would be appreciated. Here those elements start out fifty feet above the street and are hemmed in by other buildings. From the street, pedestrians will see only a few stilts and the blank slab base of the tower portion. I fear it will be underwhelming in person.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 2:22 PM

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
From the street, pedestrians will see only a few stilts and the blank slab base of the tower portion. I fear it will be underwhelming in person.
From the street yes...but anybody in Grant Park will see the entire work. The Michigan Ave wall and river are the best places to show off our architecture.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
The Michigan Ave wall and river are the best places to show off our architecture.
Amen.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 2:37 PM

Apparently a developer wants to tear down the Van Cleef Hair Studio building (56 W Huron) and replace it with an 11 story condo building:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...mas-hair-salon

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
For all of Rodkin's description of this tower, he couldn't obtain a rendering to include with the article? I mean, it sounds interesting, but then again it's P/H, so I'll keep my enthusiasm firmly curbed......
Not a fully fleshed out color rendering, but Spyguy posted this SIX PAGES back. Shocking how quickly these proposals have been coming out in advance of the ARO increase:

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 2:51 PM

We need that spire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/657/2...9f280c75_h.jpg

JuanPablo from SSC created this image that includes Chicago's proposed super talls.
This makes me long for the SPIRE.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
From the street yes...but anybody in Grant Park will see the entire work. The Michigan Ave wall and river are the best places to show off our architecture.
Just checked on streetview, and for Columbus, LSD and even Balbo, the stilts will be completely hidden by trees. Photographers will find some keyholes to take nice zoom lens shots through, sure. From Roosevelt over the tracks has a clear view, but that's kinda far to have an impressive impact. The Metra 11th street stop is better.
It looks to me like the best view of the entire work will be from directly across the street on Mich Ave.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 3:22 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Not a fully fleshed out color rendering, but Spyguy posted this SIX PAGES back. Shocking how quickly these proposals have been coming out in advance of the ARO increase:

Oh.....I didn't put 2 and 2 together........thanks!!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 3:24 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Apparently a developer wants to tear down the Van Cleef Hair Studio building (56 W Huron) and replace it with an 11 story condo building:

Huh..........what was the intersection that that 11-story Akara Partners, Booth Hansen-designed condo building proposal (which may now be changed to something else, as of latest news on it) is at? It's Huron too, right? What's the cross street.....can't seem to remember?

Really losing track of the proposals now with the current pre-strengthened-ARO deluge......

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post

"Is that a block of lowrise historic building stock standing in River North? Better break out the excavators and get cracking"

~ Said every developer ever apparently

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 3:43 PM
MPLSXCHI

There most be a massive amount of demand for condos.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...oreUserAgent=1

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 4:23 PM

^^^ It is, we've had zero new product coming on market now for 5+ years. If you want to buy a new or like new condo, you literally have had no options for years now.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
So, the alternate 61 W Erie design that's popped-up, as well as talk of Studio Dwell over in the General Developments thread have reminded me: What's happened with that really nice 20-25 story Studio Dwell-designed proposal in River North? Would love to see some movement there.....
There has been no movement on it in any of the city's records; I checked on it a couple of weeks ago.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 6:23 PM

Quote:
^^^ It is, we've had zero new product coming on market now for 5+ years. If you want to buy a new or like new condo, you literally have had no options for years now.
This has been an interesting time, because every time an apartment tower gets announced there's always several grumpy old ladies who wish it were condos. That's sort of tainted my view to think that only nimbys want condos and it's only because they hate renters. But when it's literally nothing but apartments getting built I have to think there's something being missed. Millennials want apartments, but not everybody in the world is a millennial. at this point it's got to be superstition more than market savvy. Developers think if they're the first one to build a condo they're going to be the thing that creates the next recession.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 6:35 PM

Quote:
I would love to buy a new construction condo (~1,500 feet) in the next 3 years, but all of the new developments are luxury. I wish there were proposals in the $300-$500 per sqft range. 1345 S Wabash is not appealing at all. Maybe that new high rise proposal near SoNo is an option. Chicago needs more proposals in the range of Harbor View (1901 S Calumet Ave).

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 6:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Chicago View Post
I would love to buy a new construction condo (~1,500 feet) in the next 3 years, but all of the new developments are luxury. I wish there were proposals in the $300-$500 per sqft range. 1345 S Wabash is not appealing at all. Maybe that new high rise proposal near SoNo is an option. Chicago needs more proposals in the range of Harbor View (1901 S Calumet Ave).
most of them are luxury only in name and price. they build middle class condos and price them for the upper class.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
Millennials want apartments, but not everybody in the world is a millennial.
Millennials won't be "millennials" forever. They also will turn 35 and want a condo too.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 1:41 PM
dream fast

200 N Michigan, MILA Luxury Apartments & Condos

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations