HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 19, 2022, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
Lol… we could turn these lots back to green space and expand the forks into one of the best urban parks in North America… instead we get railside. is this really the best we can do… look how lively waterfront drive is with all those added rentals and condos. It’s Just bustling with shops and restos. Maybe waterfront would have fared better if it had publicly funded geothermal heating too.
The development is next to Union Station which is expected to serve as our biggest Rapid Transit hub as EVERY single proposed line is expected to go through Union Station. Imo it would be better to add 2,000-2,500 residents adjacent to Union station because it can be utilized by people to go wherever they want in the city.

I see your sarcasm for Waterfront Dr but it’s not in a bad shape whatsoever. There’s not many vacant storefronts, the Pumphouse is one of the hottest restaurants in the city, and development is still occurring in the area. If Railside is Waterfront 2.0 I will not complain one bit.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 9:27 PM

The Pumphouse food is abysmal, Smitty’s-level food but no wing night. They’re going to face a sad reality when lots of people have come through to see the space and then never return because the food and drinks are so bad.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
The Pumphouse food is abysmal, Smitty’s-level food but no wing night. They’re going to face a sad reality when lots of people have come through to see the space and then never return because the food and drinks are so bad.
I’ve had several meals there that’s I’ve enjoyed as did the company I’ve been with

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 10:03 PM

I agree with WPG Guy I enjoyed the food and thought the Prawns were phenomenal. Although I feel this post would be better suited for the Exchange District or Pumphouse thread lol.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Totally agree. I went twice, once with a large group, and food was awful or mediocre for everyone. Super disappointing. Fire the chef and overhaul the menu before it's too late.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 1:01 AM

So, back to the heading & topic for this thread.....
Are we going to ignore, remain silent that in only 5 days 7 people were attacked. stabbed robbed??? For example, Tuesday @ 7:30 pm, several hours before sundown, a dad & daughter...violently beaten.Traumatised for life possibly.
I know many middle age family, coworkers & friends of mine can not bike there ( as is encouraged) so they need to park, which in discouraged & not going there anymore.
Now, with the fact the chances of getting injured there are almost that of Main & Higgins..I know some of these peeps are not going to live there & they did consider it.Many of the cyclists are also at risk and not all have the means to afford the cost of what it will be to live there.
Is this going to dampen the drive to encourage people to live there? People will be walking around, coming going to work, events downtown at all times (theatre, dining, clubbing, symphony, ballet etc ).
Security will have to be increased in a major way.
I am an urban dweller & think like one but this latest crime wave there is driving home the reason people who can afford to choose to live in St Norbert, Crestview, River Park South, Sage Creek, Whyte Ridge etc...

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
Are we going to ignore, remain silent that in only 5 days 7 people were attacked. stabbed robbed??? For example, Tuesday @ 7:30 pm, several hours before sundown, a dad & daughter...violently beaten.Traumatised for life possibly.
I know many middle age family, coworkers & friends of mine can not bike there ( as is encouraged) so they need to park, which in discouraged & not going there anymore.
Now, with the fact the chances of getting injured there are almost that of Main & Higgins..I know some of these peeps are not going to live there & they did consider it.Many of the cyclists are also at risk and not all have the means to afford the cost of what it will be to live there.
Is this going to dampen the drive to encourage people to live there? People will be walking around, coming going to work, events downtown at all times (theatre, dining, clubbing, symphony, ballet etc ).
I am an urban dweller & think like one but this latest crime wave there is driving home the reason people who can afford to choose to live in St Norbert, Crestview, River Park South, Sage Creek, Whyte Ridge etc...
I'm seriously sick and fkn tired of these kids commiting these crimes amd getting away with it.

And then two Ukrainian refugees that just got here are stabbed and pepper sprayed and want out of Winnipeg and this province. I'm sure that will make National headlines as well and make even more people not want to come here. All because some punk assed kids think they are untouchable.

Maybe Bearclan needs to start extending their range to the forks. As obviously the Forks and the Police cannot do anything.

As for any developer wanting to build at the Forks. This isn't going to make it look like a good idea.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
even detroit has a million times nicer and more peasant downtown these days Bowman has been asleep at the wheel his whole 2nd term this will take years to cleanup and fix. Its sad but I wish Winnipeg could be more like Regina they take far better care of their city and have the same demographics and issues we do but seem to handle it better.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
even detroit has a million times nicer and more peasant downtown these days Bowman has been asleep at the wheel his whole 2nd term this will take years to cleanup and fix. Its sad but I wish Winnipeg could be more like Regina they take far better care of their city and have the same demographics and issues we do but seem to handle it better.
Bowman has been utterly useless, worst mayor in my memory. He will be quickly forgotten when gone, except for his Portage and Main fiasco. He failed to deliver on just about everything and has left the streets an embarrassing shambles.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 3:48 AM

Bowman has been utterly useless in the downtown part of our city , hasn’t done anything to help with the issues at all ! I’m getting sick and tired too of these damn kids doing this and getting away with it , it’s making downtown feel unsafe although I do not feel unsafe ,my wife and I were downtown Saturday night , but these kids can’t win and have everybody scared to go the Forks or downtown in general . We have to keep these little buggers locked up when they do the crime ! They have no fear because there isn’t the consequences in most cases needed for them to worry .

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcityboy View Post
Bowman has been utterly useless in the downtown part of our city , hasn’t done anything to help with the issues at all ! I’m getting sick and tired too of these damn kids doing this and getting away with it , it’s making downtown feel unsafe although I do not feel unsafe ,my wife and I were downtown Saturday night , but these kids can’t win and have everybody scared to go the Forks or downtown in general . We have to keep these little buggers locked up when they do the crime ! They have no fear because there isn’t the consequences in most cases needed for them to worry .
Walked through the City Hall courtyard today and saw three homeless people, one syringe and two used female sanitary products. This city has gone to complete shit. Fires all along waterfront the other night too.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 12:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIreland View Post
Walked through the City Hall courtyard today and saw three homeless people, one syringe and two used female sanitary products. This city has gone to complete shit. Fires all along waterfront the other night too.
All part of no balls Bowman’s (and clueless city clowncil) anything goes policies, wanna ride the bus stoned or drunk, no problem, don’t even bother paying…..wanna live in a bus shelter, again no problem, alcohol and drug use encouraged, heck we’ll even deliver food and hot meals!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 3:06 PM

So it's not just me noticing this stuff, huh.

There has been a very pronounced and noticeable decline in the livability of the downtown area over the past few years, but especially since the pandemic began.

It used to be that you could avoid trouble during daytime hours if you weren't looking for it, but now that no longer seems to be the case. Winnipeg is failing at providing the most basic things that a city should provide. Simple things, like orderly streets. You can do pretty much whatever you want with impunity... live in bus shelters, smoke crack in public, shoplift, steal bikes, fight... the line only gets drawn at stabbing and shooting. Then the cops get involved.

It's pathetic. Honestly, we should be warning new immigrants and refugees about the reality of their new home. It may look like a normal, functional downtown on the surface, but the sad reality is that it is not really that anymore. And it should be treated with caution.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
So it's not just me noticing this stuff, huh.

There has been a very pronounced and noticeable decline in the livability of the downtown area over the past few years, but especially since the pandemic began.

It used to be that you could avoid trouble during daytime hours if you weren't looking for it, but now that no longer seems to be the case. Winnipeg is failing at providing the most basic things that a city should provide. Simple things, like orderly streets. You can do pretty much whatever you want with impunity... live in bus shelters, smoke crack in public, shoplift, steal bikes, fight... the line only gets drawn at stabbing and shooting. Then the cops get involved.

It's pathetic. Honestly, we should be warning new immigrants and refugees about the reality of their new home. It may look like a normal, functional downtown on the surface, but the sad reality is that it is not really that anymore. And it should be treated with caution.
Winnipeg is a true donut city have to stick to the outer edges for decency

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Winnipeg is a true donut city have to stick to the outer edges for decency
Which is a rational response, it's hard to argue. But it sucks to have a large chunk of the city becoming a no-go zone.

This is really going to hurt The Forks... the bad publicity from the crimes there over the last week or two is going to keep a lot of people away, which will in turn make it even more inviting for cretins and deviants to do their thing.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Which is a rational response, it's hard to argue. But it sucks to have a large chunk of the city becoming a no-go zone.
Real death-spiral stuff. Flight to the suburbs worsens our infrastructure burden/deficit and flight to the RMs/exurbs shrinks the tax base. A crumbling or dangerous core, especially with less fiscal capacity to address the problems, makes the city unappealing to newcomers, discourages investment, discourages businesses setting up here.

A person looking to move here or business looking to settle here won't settle for "oh, yeah, the core is broken, but everything's quiet here in Linden Woods".

We don't have to go that far back in time to remember what flat population growth did for this city's prospects.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 4:17 PM

The security costs to clean up downtown are astronomical at this point private or public not sure where the funding can be found as our downtown is so large and spread out. I would say if they can focus on 3 main areas being graham bus mall portage place and the air canada park and the forks need the highest priorities right now

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 4:56 PM

People around the world generally agree that a busy street is a safe street. People have famously observed that they feel safer in new York city than parts of Winnipeg. Everyone knows the homeless element is present in New York City but it is generally agreed that this element is manageable because there are many non-homeless people to out number the homeless ones.

I hear lots of folks on this thread pointing out the downtown situation these days. I hear people pointing to a tipping point happening during the pandemic. I also hear many looking to blame politicians for failing to impact greater change. But during the pandemic downtown actually suffered two blows huge blows. 1: a lot of people got more desperate, visible homelessness spiked and the opioid and meth crises ground on. 2: Downtown was abandoned by the workforce. I believe both these factors are contributing to the current state of downtown. I am surprised not to hear more folks point out that the tipping point had a great deal to do with the thousands of workers who started working from home.

Now, I don't give 2 sh$ts about Bowman either way. But my question is, why are we giving the mayor so much credit to be able to have done something about 1: a national housing crisis, 2: a national opioid and meth crisis, and 3: a global pandemic? it just seems naive to blame the mayor of Winnipeg who most of us know wields very little meaningful power.

Just me two cents.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 5:07 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

I was walking to my home in Wolseley past two burnt out bus shacks on Thursday, came around the corner at Good street and Broadway and had a cop's taser in my face as they were taking down a methed out guy with a knife.. The barber shop I was coming from at Spence and Ellice had someone stabbed behind the store the night before.

This city is becoming a real sewer, maybe we need some of that old school 1970s/80s policing.

The kinder gentler approach isn't working.

White flight continues, new suburbs are built, and the doughnut grows.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 5:20 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

I do distinctly remember mayor Bowman giving permission for the homeless to shelter in a bus shelter one particularly harsh -30 winter day a few years back (2018).

Since then the shelters have become unusable.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan