HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 26, 2022, 1:06 PM

Attendance really bad this week only 16 k in Montreal and only 15.5 in bc last night. Bombers only 23 and calgary only 22. Teams have a lot of work to do in off-season to rebuild season ticket bases. Also with the inflation crisis and most fans working class teams gotta realize 10 dollar beers and expensive ticket prices need to come down.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2022, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Attendance really bad this week only 16 k in Montreal and only 15.5 in bc last night. Bombers only 23 and calgary only 22. Teams have a lot of work to do in off-season to rebuild season ticket bases. Also with the inflation crisis and most fans working class teams gotta realize 10 dollar beers and expensive ticket prices need to come down.
I don't think the Chicken Little scenarios are relevant when teams are obviously making efforts to improve off the field. Like Cecchini in Montreal said, sure "we'd like to do it all in one season" but it's going to take time (especially in the present world conditions and coming off the pandemic). I fail to see where people focusing on the negative when there are so many positive stories actually helps the situation. Rourke is starting to become that once in a lifetime story, Canadian players are at the forefront, there's lots of good things happening out there. It's surplus to requirements for "fans" to shit on the league when there is a legion of "sports writers" in Toronto who will do it with glee.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2022, 3:11 PM
I am the law!

Attendance is a popular measurement for determining success. It certainly doesn't tell the whole story such as the current economic climate in places like Toronto, league revenues but, it's certainly not something to be left out of the discussion among all the ongoing efforts to improve the league's image.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2022, 3:16 PM

The leagues financial health matters for the long term success of the league. i refuse to ignore it and put my head in the sand and pretend everything is rosy. Covid-19 really hurt this league more than any other and now the inflation crisis doesn't help. The league has some good success stories right now but there is still a lot of work that needs to be done.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2022, 3:28 PM

Quote:
i refuse to ignore it and put my head in the sand and pretend everything is rosy.
Does anyone really think that actual fans of the league don't know the problems of the league and are putting their heads in the sand? If you can tell me how the constant posting of negative news helps the situation I'd love to hear it. To me all it does is do the work of the soccer and NFL trolls for them and I'm sure they're grateful for that.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2022, 3:39 PM
I am the law!

BMO Field is in a terrible location.

Credit card companies hand out cards like candy at universities. Menstrual pad manufacturers target young girls. I don't see alot of opportunity to get the younger generations interested in the Argos when high school football passes by unnoticed at most Toronto area schools. I can't think of seeing a kids flag football game in my neighbourhood in a long time. Plenty of baseball, basketball, soccer, etc.

Gambling should be a huge revenue generator for the CFL. Torontonians will gamble. It doesn't make them fans of the game.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2022, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
I don't see alot of opportunity to get the younger generations interested in the Argos when high school football passes by unnoticed at most Toronto area schools. I can't think of seeing a kids flag football game in my neighbourhood in a long time.
Seeing what the Lions were doing while watching last night's game is a good answer for what you posted. I had previously posted that the BC attendance would likely go back to its old levels after the big opening, you don't repair this stuff overnight, but watching what Doman was doing to rectify the situation rather than doing nothing will get him to where he wants to go. And as I posted earlier the kid is going to become a national story if he keeps it up, I don't think the people in BC will ignore that.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2022, 4:14 PM

Lions 44, Argonauts 3: Star QB Nathan Rourke sets record for passing yardage
Three players in CFL history have won the Most Outstanding Player and Most Outstanding Canadian. Nathan Rourke is making a case to be No. 4
J.J. Adams theprovince.com June 25, 2022

Nathan Rourke made all the right throws Saturday night, on his way to a record-setting 436-yard, four-touchdown performance in the B.C. Lions’ 44-3 demolition of the Toronto Argonauts at B.C. Place.

But it was the ones he missed that he wanted to talk about after the game.

“I was pretty frustrated by the plays that Burn and JB got hurt on. I felt like I put them in bad positions. It could have been avoided with better throws, better decisions,” the quarterback said of the plays that knocked running back James Butler and Bryan Burnham from the game with injuries.

“But I think what is great about this team is there’s no pointing fingers. Those guys understand it’s football, and it’s the next man up.”

But all the fingers are pointing at Rourke right now, and it’s for the right reasons. He’s an easy lock as the front-runner for the Most Outstanding Canadian, and if he keeps up this pace, he could be Most Outstanding Player, as well.

Rourke was 39-of-45 passing, and boasts the best completion percentage (87) and passing touchdown total (7) in the CFL — even though he’s played one fewer game that the rest of the starters in the league.

He’s yet to throw an interception in his 74 attempts to start the season, hitting on 65 of them for 718 yards and leading the Lions to a team-record 103 points in their first two games.

B.C. is also 2-0 for the first time to start a season since 2016.

“When you come into facility, he’s the first one there,” said cornerback Garry Peters. “And I’m one of the last people to leave. He’s literally there after me, walking (around) eating a peanut butter jelly sandwich trying to find something to do. He’s always working no matter what. He’s trying to perfect himself. He’s a young guy, but you can see in his eyes that he’s really hungry. It’s a different look in his eyes when you look at him. A guy like that, knowing the work he puts in in a week, it’s easy to follow his lead.”

“He’s not kidding. I’m serious,” head coach Rick Campbell said of his quarterback’s show of post-game humility.

“He’s not putting on a show for you guys or anything. What you see is what you get. That’s why I’ve been his biggest fan the last two years — that’s how he is. He actually means that.”

There have only been three players in CFL history who have won both the MOP and MOC in a since season — Russ Jackson, Tony Gabriel and Jon Cornish. All three are in the Canadian Football Hall of Fame.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2022, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Not really an all time record, it was a single game passing record, over taking Gerry Dattilio. Fine performances by the other Canadians, David Menard, David Mackie and Jovon Cottoy as well
Rourke 39-of-45 passing, 436-yards, four-touchdowns.

Jevon Cottoy seven receptions for 71 yards and a score.

David Mackie, who hadn’t recorded a carry in his four-year CFL career, ran for 90 yards on 16 rushes. Had 19 and 25 yard runs and a touchdown. He's got some speed for a big guy.

David Menard 2 sacks

And Canadian OC as well, leading the league

“I talked to (offensive coordinator) Jordan Maksymic at halftime … That’s why we ended up making the move we made of dressing an American back, because we think both Mackey and (Mario) Villamazar can play that hybrid role of fullback-slash-tailback.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2022, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanClimate View Post
For me as a neutral observer of CFL games on TSN, there's no play in football that's more exciting than a big-time Bomber touchdown in Winnipeg's highly photogenic stadium, with the players leaping up to the end-zone seats and celebrating with the fans. Add in play-by-play announcer Dustin Nielson going nuts on the TSN broadcast, and it's an all-pro moment. Good stuff Winnipeg.

p.s. I think the (retro?) Winnipeg uniforms worn last night are first class.
I took my son to the game, he is almost 9 and all in on hockey... I am trying to indoctrinate him into appreciating football

That pick six took place right in front of us as we were sitting 8 rows up from where it happened, and when Willie got the ball and rumbled in with the crowd exploding, my son's jaw dropped. I don't think he'll soon forget that

Quote:
Weather probably killed the walkup in Winnipeg and kept a lot of fans with tickets away. Attendance was announced at 23K but I doubt there were more than 20K in attendance.

I honestly wonder if the Bombers need to remind fans that the vast majority of seats in the stadium are covered, though. I was kind of down on the fact that I'd be going to the game in the rain, but even though my seats are 8 rows up from the field I didn't get a drop of rain on me despite the steady showers on the field. It's a far cry from the old stadium where only the upper deck and top few rows of the lower deck were protected and everyone else got drenched. IG Field is basically as close as you can get to a domed stadium without a full roof... the Bombers should make that point a little more clearly in their marketing.

Amazing performance by Rourke and the Lions last night... they are for real. Can't wait to see them square off with the Bombers.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2022, 5:39 PM

Ya we rolled over the first two teams so still not sure how good we are.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 6:25 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

I was at the Stamps-Elks game yesterday. Bit of a snooze fest in the first half, seemed to be two bad football teams playing. Didn’t matter too much as it was an absolutely gorgeous evening to be in the stands with a cold beer.
Calgary came alive in the second half thanks to a great performance by M. Henry, and Bo made some good throws, right where they had to be.
My biggest take away from the game though was Edmonton’s punter - Mengel. I have never seen booming, deep, high punts that sent the returners back peddling and providing plenty of hang time for the Elk’s cover unit - very impressive. If this guy isn’t in the NFL before long I’ll be very surprised.

Also: These retro 1940’s Stamps jerseys are starting to grow on me. I hope they do the full conversion and go with a road white version soon.

Go Stamps !

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 1:47 PM
arf

4-0 to go to 10-2 on the season, but it's been easy so far and it is going to start getting interesting with injuries and adjustments.

BC at Ottawa: Ottawa has looked a lot better. BC has looked ridiculous. BC. Until BC shows what holes they might have I am not picking against them.

Edmonton at Hamilton: both teams have some issues and both have looked reasonably competitive. Hamilton. They can't go 0-4, can they?

Montreal at Saskatchewan: Montreal. You know what I think of our offense and I don't know that our coaching staff is capable of making any changes.

Winnipeg at Toronto: Winnipeg. Toronto should have something to prove here after getting schooled in BC. But until they lose, Winnipeg all the way.

So three away teams this week.

Current average attendance numbers for the CFL:

Code:
team		attendance
saskatchewan	28216
winnipeg	24801
bc		24044
edmonton	23121
hamilton	22711
ottawa		22185
calgary		21939
montreal	16027
toronto		12498

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 1:52 PM

I think Argos actually will beat the Bombers they always give us trouble and Harris will want revenge

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 2:35 AM

Canadian QB Nathan Rourke captures attention around North America, including NFL personnel people
Justin Dunk 3downnation.com June 27, 2022

Canadian quarterback Nathan Rourke has captured attention around North America, including NFL coaches and personnel people.

Rourke has already set multiple records for a national QB in the CFL and could break more as the 2022 season goes along.

He holds the single-game passing yards record with 436 and the highest single-game completion percentage at 89.7. The 24-year-old is the second national QB in CFL history to throw four touchdowns with no interceptions and record five total touchdowns in a single game, joining Canadian Football Hall of Famer and Lou Marsh Trophy-winner Russ Jackson.

Scouts south of the border tracked and evaluated Rourke while he was at Ohio University, so there is a foundation of background knowledge to add to for NFL executives. Rourke’s combination of demeanour, efficiency, decision-making, arm strength and athletic ability have been on display to begin his first year as a full-time starter in the pros.

The 24-year-old has completed 87 percent of his passes for 718 yards with seven touchdowns and zero interceptions plus 10 carries for 93 yards and two majors. Two games does not a full season of game film make, but the early production has piqued the interest of onlookers in the NFL.

He’s been the best quarterback in the CFL through two weeks and it’s not even close. Meanwhile, Rourke’s star is rising quickly as he continues to answer anyone who doubted him purely due to his Canadian birth certificate.

“I’ll tell you the truth, there wasn’t any questions within this locker room about anything with this team. Those guys have all the faith in me and that gives me so much confidence,” Rourke said.

“There’s a lot of great things in that locker room and it’s a tribute to those guys. That’s a team effort right there, I’m really proud of them and proud to be a part of this team.”

Defensive back Garry Peters knew his QB was going to dice-up defences from the get-go in training camp when Rourke was carving up a veteran secondary. Peters believes the young quarterback’s leadership has been a key part of boosting the B.C. Lions to a 2-0 record.

“It’s easy to follow guys like that. When you come in the facility, he’s the first one there and I’m one of the last people to leave, he’s literally there after me, walking around, eating a peanut butter jelly sandwich, trying to find something to do,” Peters said.

“He’s always working — no matter what. He’s trying to perfect himself and you can see he’s a young guy, but you can see in his eyes that he’s really hungry. It’s a different look in his eyes when you look at him.”

Co-general manager Neil McEvoy and head coach Rick Campbell noticed Rourke’s makeup was unique during the evaluation process, which led to the Lions making him a second-round pick in the 2020 CFL Draft. He learned behind one of the toughest passers the three-down league has ever seen in Michael Reilly in 2021 and has put the teachings into action.

“He’s not putting on a show, what you see is what you get. That’s why I’ve been his biggest fan the last two years,” Campbell said. “He’s a fun guy to be around because his approach to the game is fun to watch.”

Interested NFL observers are quietly keeping tabs from afar, so the Lions best make the most out of Rourke in 2022.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 2:06 AM

I'll refrain from getting too excited until he has some games under his belt, but a great way to create buzz for the league while it lasts.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 2:14 AM

The big test for BC is when they have to play the Bombers and Stampeders which should make for some good western rivalry games this year

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 1:46 PM

Week 4, let's gooooo:

BC @ Ottawa - The Rourke roadshow hits the capital and the bad times will keep on rolling for the RBs. Ottawa will put up a good fight but BC should be able to get by even as injuries mount. BC.

Edmonton @ Hamilton - A visit from the Elks is just what the veterinarian ordered for a Ticats team looking to get into the win column at home. Hamilton.

Montreal @ Saskatchewan - This one a very tough call. Sask should be the bounce-back favourite playing at home but Montreal played well last week and they're getting some key personnel back so I'll take them to win. Montreal.

Winnipeg @ Toronto - I hear thurmas' point about the Argos usually playing the Bombers tough but man, the Argos just don't look that good. Winnipeg.

Record to date: 11-1

Edit: Damnit I just checked, and it turns out that I picked the same teams as HomeInMyShoes again. We need some more pickers so it doesn't look like I'm just copying him every week

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 1:54 PM

I will take BC, Hamilton, Sask and Toronto my shakiness pick is Hamilton as Edmonton has improved every game but their talent is still very thin

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 2:45 PM
Community Guy

BC
Edm
MTL
Win

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada