HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 4:39 PM
Peddling to progress

Also, Mosaic stadium is a bad comparison mainly because Mosaic has a very large footprint. Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan stadium in Spain packs 30% more people (44k vs. 33k) into a smaller perimeter (.72km vs. .94km).

Since this stadium only needs to hold between 5k and 8k fans, you could fit this onto the south end of Kinsman Park (without removing any rides), behind the armory and next to Harry Bailey in downtown north, or onto the Winners/Staples/London Drugs lot on 8th street. There are likely some underutilized parks in the city where a stadium used for professional and youth soccer could fit.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskabusher View Post
i'm okay with prairie land idea for the soccer stadium, really. they already killed horse racing so it's dead land. congrats!

downtown north i hope can still be a dense community, with the arena at that dead parking acne spot right in the heart of downtown, at 22nd E, 1st Ave S, 23 st E, and Pacific Ave. If its anywhere else, they missed the whole point of all their fn expensive surveys with american professionals and anyone else they could throw money at. my 2 cents
With the city seemingly partnering with the YMCA on a new holmwood recreation facility I wonder if they can find ground on moving out of the downtown location as well. I think the location would work and aside from the YMCA I think the land is mostly the city's? Could be easier than negotiating with the mall.

The mall could capitalize on this venture too as another hotel or condos and parkade could be developed on the site between 22nd and 23rd.

Don't get me wrong though. I'd happily have the arena go in either spot. Toys R Us as well. Just keep it away from potential north downtown development!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 4:56 PM

Still waiting for comment from the CoS, but the rumour mill seems pretty consistent that the arena will be going on the "midtown lot" on the north side of 22nd street across from TCU place. Guess we'll just have to wait & see.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 9:18 PM

now I'm tickled the color of saskatoon... berries! what's the chance the new library, the new arena and a couple of nice condos - one with a new ymca at the bottom, open up at about the same time in 2026? all within a few blocks of each other, with established hotels direct links to the new facility, and an underground link - already there- to a 6story parkade at the toys site, with another big condo there! But make the units small and cheap so people can downsize and just enjoy life. 200k a unit. they'll sell like hotcakes! i haven't been this excited since i got an original bucket from kfc!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
Still waiting for comment from the CoS, but the rumour mill seems pretty consistent that the arena will be going on the "midtown lot" on the north side of 22nd street across from TCU place. Guess we'll just have to wait & see.
If this is the case, can we expect that TCU will be renovated as opposed to combining both a convention center and arena into the vacant parking lot? If you recall, the recommendation was to combine the two into the same project. I wonder if TCU would need to be completely knocked down to build a sufficient convention center.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 9:45 PM

$200K a unit HAHA

Old Posted Jun 11, 2022, 6:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
This is the best location in my opinion --- I think the arena would do the most good for the core there. Maybe the old Greyhound depot would even find new life. I'd love to see new housing in the warehouse district, too.

I'm sure there are a million moving parts, including TCU and YMCA-related plans, but I wonder if, behind the scenes, the arena announcement is being timed to match the schedule (i.e. approval) of the STC's anticipated wellness centre relocation:

https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/saskato...tion-1.5857616

The relocation will leave a city-owned building at 1st and 23rd vacant (ideal as part of the arena lands). However, the STC requested an extension for the current wellness centre, which was always going to be a temporary shelter. They want to build a new, permanent facility on 20th street, by Station 20 West and the hospital, but renovations to the building they want could take 10 to 14 months:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...sion-1.6416309

With so much public money tied to any future arena plans, the STC's needs should absolutely come first (as should the needs of other social support groups in the area). It looks like that's what's happening, thankfully, given the support of the city and the province for the current wellness centre:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...ince-1.6451157

The centre's old lease would have been up this coming Wednesday, June 15, but it will receive a one-year extension (until April 30, 2023):

https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/saskato...lter-1.5939146

I think this is very good, and very necessary, news. After all, we wouldn't want our arena to displace an emergency wellness centre and the people for whom it is a temporary home.

(Sorry for all of the links --- I haven't seen this discussed here before, so I wanted to provide a kind of comprehensive update on the wellness centre's situation.)

Last edited by Roquentin; Jun 11, 2022 at 6:57 AM.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2022, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
$200K a unit HAHA
a market crash, little creativity, i swear it can be done ~600sqft

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...oad-chilliwack

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...iness-district

Old Posted Jun 12, 2022, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskabusher View Post
Even roryn knows it's a fantasy

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 4:06 PM

Update on the Tees and Persse Building on 1st Ave.
Photo by me

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 3:00 PM

Found this comment interesting in Western Investor magazine

Once Stage 1 mine operations begin in 2027, BHP plans 600 permanent jobs, with 400 of them based at the Jansen site and 200 at BHP’s Saskatoon Discovery Plaza office. BHP has employment targets for operations of 50 per cent women and 20 per cent Indigenous workers.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 1:42 PM

Some construction in the Industrial area, Bizhub industrial park by airport,

https://www.producer.com/news/giant-...for-saskatoon/

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
Some construction in the Industrial area, Bizhub industrial park by airport,

https://www.producer.com/news/giant-...for-saskatoon/
I wonder if the other players will do similar logistic warehouses

Old Posted Jun 19, 2022, 12:32 AM

Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 10:53 PM

Sounds like Postmedia StarPhoenix is closing their printing press here in Saskatoon. That would be a huge boost of unutilized land if they sell it here near the downtown condos. It didn’t seem like many were employed/going to the physical brick and mortar space anymore, but very loud trucks would continually back up at all hrs of the night near the condos. Good thing for downtown if they leave.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 4:02 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
Sounds like Postmedia StarPhoenix is closing their printing press here in Saskatoon. That would be a huge boost of unutilized land if they sell it here near the downtown condos. It didn’t seem like many were employed/going to the physical brick and mortar space anymore, but very loud trucks would continually back up at all hrs of the night near the condos. Good thing for downtown if they leave.
I partially agree with you. The industrial process can be easily relocated and should be if it is a nuisance to the neighbourhood.

However, Saskatoon has no shortage of underutilized land so I don't see how the redevelopment of this parcel will be at the top of the list. More likely it will be partially occupied as office space, become vacant and fall into disrepair, or be torn down and added to the downtown parking space inventory.

Also, the more the StarPhoenix outsources to other buildings or other cities, the worse it gets for local news coverage and the local job environment. Getting rid of their downtown real estate would be just another nail in the coffin for competent reporting in the city. It used to be important that a reporter could get from the paper to city hall or the courts or police headquarters quickly...

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 7:51 PM

Was on the Montage website(Meridian's rental development in University Heights) and ALL but one unit on 4th floor have now been taken in Phase I. They have not updated their site to allow you to look at available units in Phase II yet.

Seems like a very successful development for them. Hopefully as Phase II approaches completion, they can turn their attention to Know Tower downtown. That one might be completed just around the time my wife and are ready to downsize from our Varsity View home!

Highpointe....where are you??? You may be missing the opportunity in Saskatoon!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 6:05 PM

Peace Boulevard

Wouldn't it be nice if the Mahatma Gandhi statue got some contextuality? If the Bess to Midtown axis were to be developed into a series of corner peace icons the wrong which was the removal of the Cenotaph from the core years ago gets corrected. We could again brand Saskatoon as the City of Peace. Imagine Martin Luther King, Dag Hammarskjöld, Anwar Sadat, Mikhail Gorbachev, Nelson Mandela, Albert Schweitzer, Jane Addams, John Lennon, and Julian Assange inhabiting this central downtown boulevard.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 3:08 PM
Peddling to progress

Is it just me, or has Alan Wallace posted three or more entertainment district plans because the city has delayed its announcement so many times?

https://twitter.com/awallace1961/sta...HzBD6_VxMP45Rg

Old Posted Jul 9, 2022, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Ralph View Post
Good thing you won't have to see it from Airdrie
Someone’s gotta provide some updates on some projects on here soon. I’m having fomo lol

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan