HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
Trust me, YWG is doing better than Pearson which was exhausting to get through on the way back.
Only connected through Pearson coming back to Canada once and I will avoid doing that at all costs again.

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 10:39 PM

We just need United to start running their Chicago and Denver flights again. Or for Flair to fill that void and add some U.S. flights from Winnipeg (assuming they don't get grounded by the commission ). It'd be nice if Delta dropped their prices back down to what they were before COVID as well, because speaking of good airports to make connections -- connecting in Minneapolis is way better than connecting anywhere in Canada.

You get to do customs in Winnipeg with next to no wait and Minny's airport is big enough that they have flights everywhere but without being a complete gong show like Toronto's.

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 2:17 PM

I've had to fly in "celebrities" many times over the years for events. And the one thing that was very consistent was they'd be hassled clearing customs at Winnipeg Airport. It almost became comical except it left a very sour taste in people's mouths and there were incidents of guys being denied entry (fortunately not on my watch but some of my colleagues/competitors) though we had some close calls.

I began deliberately booking talent to clear customs in Toronto or Montreal and never, ever had an issue. It was always a breeze. One of the guys we brought in (Road Warriors) told me Winnipeg was always a hassle even back in their WWE days. Bad rep.

Some guys even reported the agent being extremely rude and aggressive and they felt they were antagonizing them, hoping they'd get angry and it could escalate. One guy was a US citizen but was born in Canada, had been here several times and was still hassled. I assumed it was because if you're an agent in Toronto, seeing a celebrity (A-list, B-List, C-List, whatever) is old news but here it was still "cool" and those agents with the big chips wanted to wave their power around.

Youd think it would be the opposite with a smaller airport. My only personal issue with customs was being chosen for extra attention on a flight back from jamaica and the agent was very arrogant and aggressive. I noted to her that they picked the right guy cause I was probably the only person on the plane who didnt do drugs in Jamaica.

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
I've had to fly in "celebrities" many times over the years for events. And the one thing that was very consistent was they'd be hassled clearing customs at Winnipeg Airport. It almost became comical except it left a very sour taste in people's mouths and there were incidents of guys being denied entry (fortunately not on my watch but some of my colleagues/competitors) though we had some close calls.

I began deliberately booking talent to clear customs in Toronto or Montreal and never, ever had an issue. It was always a breeze. One of the guys we brought in (Road Warriors) told me Winnipeg was always a hassle even back in their WWE days. Bad rep.
Haha, I remember when I was a kid I would go watch WWF matches at Winnipeg Arena and it seemed like every card there was always at least a wrestler or two who no-showed. I wonder if that was the reason why... I assume that with the lifestyles some of these guys led, there were reasons why they might have been denied entry. But that said, you would think an outfit like the WWF would have had people on staff to sort all that out in advance.

I would have loved to be the customs agent to tell Road Warrior Hawk that he can't enter Canada to do his job and that he has to turn around and go home... a nerve wracking experience I'm sure

But I do agree with (sub)urban that MSP is in the sweet spot where it has flights to just about everywhere in North America and many overseas destinations, but it's still small enough to not be too much of a hassle. It is a great place to fly through.

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Haha, I remember when I was a kid I would go watch WWF matches at Winnipeg Arena and it seemed like every card there was always at least a wrestler or two who no-showed. I wonder if that was the reason why... I assume that with the lifestyles some of these guys led, there were reasons why they might have been denied entry. But that said, you would think an outfit like the WWF would have had people on staff to sort all that out in advance.

I would have loved to be the customs agent to tell Road Warrior Hawk that he can't enter Canada to do his job and that he has to turn around and go home... a nerve wracking experience I'm sure

But I do agree with (sub)urban that MSP is in the sweet spot where it has flights to just about everywhere in North America and many overseas destinations, but it's still small enough to not be too much of a hassle. It is a great place to fly through.
I dont want to hijack...but, thats exactly what happened. We brought in both Road Warriors in 2002. Hawk missed his flight (coming from Florida, connecting in Minneapolis where there was a weather delay so he left) and came in the next day, coincidently meeting up with Buff Bagwell in Minneapolis and they were on the same flight (as Buff forgot about the time zone change and missed his flight).

There is a simple rule that if you bring in wrestlers they WILL be the last ones through. So I wasnt too worried when people streamed in from customs but no Hawk or Buff. I get motioned over to pick up the phone and I hear an angry Hawk ranting and raving while an agent tells me he has an assault conviction from like 30 years earlier so of course he can't come in. But wait! This vile criminal will be allowed if we grease the governments palms by buying a Minister's Permit. I agree but am anxious cause Hawk was very angry.

Finally Hawk comes through and he looks relaxed. Im anxious. Still no Buff. I say, hey Hawk, did you see Buff? "Yeah, they got him for cocaine."

What? Hawk is sitting relaxed, chilled. Im a basket of nerves. He tells me not to worry. "I think cocaine is worth worrying about," I tell him.

Another customs employee comes over. Its just us. He looks nervous as he tells Hawk he is a big fan and asks for a photo. Hawk says "that depends. Is my buddy coming out soon?" Employee assures him Buff will be cleared.

Few minutes later Buff comes out, white as a ghost, shuffling alone in a daze. He collapses in Hawk's arms, practically in tears as he recounts the story of being searched and his fear hed end up "thrown into a foreign prison."

Apparently they scanned his bags and it registered for coke which I guess is not unusual. Secondary found nothing and cleared him.

Customs also did the same thing to Eddy Guerrero. He had JUST pleaded No Contest to a DUI in Florida in 2002 (after we booked him, literally the week before he came in). Customs was refusing him entry. He had to beg them to let him in. Again, the vile criminal was deemed reformed after we paid a fee.

Samoa Joe came in. He was so hassled he didnt speak a single word for about half an hour after he arrived. He was so livid. He told me the agent kept accusing him of being a drug user and trying to antagonize him and Joe had to bit his tongue and kiss the guys ass and in infuriated him.

Steve Corino, born in Winnipeg, hassled. He had had a dispute with an ex over a credit card. Minor stuff. Been here many times. CANADIAN. Hassled, threatened with being denied.

My competitors were less lucky. One show had two imports booked and both got nailed at customs. Their own fault because they lied about why they were coming (Americans think they cant come here to work so they often lie and I always tell them do NOT lie, you're allowed to come here). Another competitor had a few guys denied on the same show, Lex Luger being one, for that reason, not allowed to come wrestle. It wasnt true.

Moral of the story, clear customs in Toronto or Montreal. Never a problem. I guess wrestlers just arent stars in Toronto like they are here.

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 3:05 PM

Wild... after reading that, I won't complain about my trivial customs hassles anymore

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
Only connected through Pearson coming back to Canada once and I will avoid doing that at all costs again.
I dread YYZ on return flights. The one time I connected through YYC also makes me actively seek to avoid it although perhaps it is better post renovation. YVR is a nightmare trying to connect to the USA as the lineup for connecting passengers is often excessively long and there is no easy way to bypass it for the Trusted Traveler (Nexus) line without seeming like jerk.

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I dread YYZ on return flights. The one time I connected through YYC also makes me actively seek to avoid it although perhaps it is better post renovation. YVR is a nightmare trying to connect to the USA as the lineup for connecting passengers is often excessively long and there is no easy way to bypass it for the Trusted Traveler (Nexus) line without seeming like jerk.
Nexus helped us greatly at YVR coming home from Mazatlan this past winter. Tight connection but luckily the same plane. It did mothing for us at YYZ 2 winters prior coming home from Huatulco. Might have been even worse due to the face scan update and crashing terminals.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 7:13 PM

Starting July 2 and ending sometime in August or September Delta will be removing their afternoon turn flight and will just have their one morning departure that will be changing from 319 to a 320 due to the crew shortages
Hopefully it is just for the summer

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
The Royal Aviation Museum of Western Canada is preparing to open to the public:

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/ar...576496392.html
I finally had the chance to check out the new Aviation Museum. I was very impressed. The collection is mostly identical to what was displayed in the old facility, but the story of Winnipeg/Manitoba/Western Canadian aviation is told in a more coherent way, there is much more context. It looks a lot more professional and polished now than the old place which kind of felt like a bunch of old aircraft stashed in a hangar.

Architecturally it's a nice building... it looks good and it's bigger than it looked to my eyes when it was under construction. The only thing I find kind of awkward is that the parking lot (which doesn't even have a sign pointing you to it) has weird angles and when you head towards the building it feels like you are just kind of walking into a back entrance. But once you get inside it's a nice, spacious, soaring feeling with nice views of the airfield.

Anyway, it's cool that they were able to put such an ambitious project together. It's a nice museum and one that I'm sure will be a hit with visitors.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post

Some guys even reported the agent being extremely rude and aggressive and they felt they were antagonizing them, hoping they'd get angry and it could escalate. One guy was a US citizen but was born in Canada, had been here several times and was still hassled. I assumed it was because if you're an agent in Toronto, seeing a celebrity (A-list, B-List, C-List, whatever) is old news but here it was still "cool" and those agents with the big chips wanted to wave their power around.

Youd think it would be the opposite with a smaller airport. My only personal issue with customs was being chosen for extra attention on a flight back from jamaica and the agent was very arrogant and aggressive. I noted to her that they picked the right guy cause I was probably the only person on the plane who didnt do drugs in Jamaica.
It could be related to training - apparently YWG is a training ground for customs and border service agents

Old Posted Jul 9, 2022, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattiff View Post
Starting July 2 and ending sometime in August or September Delta will be removing their afternoon turn flight and will just have their one morning departure that will be changing from 319 to a 320 due to the crew shortages
Hopefully it is just for the summer
It’s not just only Winnipeg YWG - Minneapolis MSP down to 1x daily on Delta for Summer 2022.

Calgary YYC & Vancouver YVR - MSP is also 1x daily for Delta Airlines during the Summer too, in Western Canada.

All operated by Airbus A320/321

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 5:12 AM

Canada Jetlines - August 15 to Toronto

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattiff View Post
Canada Jetlines - August 15 to Toronto
Are they entering the market as an ultra-cheap airline or an AC/WJ competitor? I had assumed the former but their prices suggest the latter... strange.

Also interesting starting destinations, Winnipeg and Moncton? Not mad at more airline competition though! Would love to see one of the cheap airlines start running a YWG to Montreal flight. Toronto is covered at this point lol.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (sub)urban View Post
Are they entering the market as an ultra-cheap airline or an AC/WJ competitor? I had assumed the former but their prices suggest the latter... strange.

Also interesting starting destinations, Winnipeg and Moncton? Not mad at more airline competition though! Would love to see one of the cheap airlines start running a YWG to Montreal flight. Toronto is covered at this point lol.
These ULCC startups never seem to include Quebec in their plans. Montreal specifically. Why is that? Wouldn't the airport authority in Montreal want to encourage more carriers?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 4:00 AM

Quote:
These ULCC startups never seem to include Quebec in their plans. Montreal specifically. Why is that? Wouldn't the airport authority in Montreal want to encourage more carriers?
I wonder if the aviation (service) fees are higher at YUL (Trudeau/Dorval) than the startups are willing to pay.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Because Montreal & Quebec are stronghold for Air Canada & Air Transat flights in Canada. As most people in Quebec choose to fly with Air Canada & Air Transat. Plus AC&AT has their headquarters located in Quebec too is huge reason for it.

ULCC Flair has done okay in Quebec as they added Canada/US flights past few years out of Montreal YUL.

While WestJet's only 2 Quebec destinations that has workout for them round year round is Calgary YYC & Toronto YYZ & that's about it. WestJet hasn't even bothered adding much flights/any new routes to Quebec for the past couple of years.

Last edited by Calfan12; Aug 3, 2022 at 6:44 AM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 2:52 PM

Quote:
I finally had the chance to check out the new Aviation Museum. I was very impressed. The collection is mostly identical to what was displayed in the old facility, but the story of Winnipeg/Manitoba/Western Canadian aviation is told in a more coherent way, there is much more context. It looks a lot more professional and polished now than the old place which kind of felt like a bunch of old aircraft stashed in a hangar.

Architecturally it's a nice building... it looks good and it's bigger than it looked to my eyes when it was under construction. The only thing I find kind of awkward is that the parking lot (which doesn't even have a sign pointing you to it) has weird angles and when you head towards the building it feels like you are just kind of walking into a back entrance. But once you get inside it's a nice, spacious, soaring feeling with nice views of the airfield.

Anyway, it's cool that they were able to put such an ambitious project together. It's a nice museum and one that I'm sure will be a hit with visitors.
I wish Calgary’s Aviation Museum would take a look at what Winnipeg has done and follow suit! As you mentioned, Winnipeg’s old one was just a parking lot for aircraft, which is exactly how Calgary’s feels at the moment. An old hanger, which is cool, but also an adjacent (but not connected) fabric covered “tent”, which very much appears to be an afterthought or stop gap measure. Lots of room for expansion with a vacant lot next door!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 6:41 AM

https://globalnews.ca/news/9055829/w...l-funding/amp/

This is great news! I wonder if this is hinting at LAX and JFK to name a few.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 View Post
https://globalnews.ca/news/9055829/w...l-funding/amp/

This is great news! I wonder if this is hinting at LAX and JFK to name a few.
I think we had once in a blue moon service to LAX at the peak of YWG travel (just pre-pandemic). I would be happier with restored/greater service to Chicago, MSP, JFK, and Denver before seeing LAX on there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan