HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Sep 2, 2019, 9:41 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
Absolutely. It's all about context. One Museum Park looks enormous when you're next to it (smaller now that NEMA is next door), but put it in the Loop and it would disappear. WPE (and later WPS) are going to absolutely jut skyward more than most buildings because of their comparatively shorter surroundings.

That’s only part of it.

This building’s massing/profile do it a lot of favors when it comes to its punching above its weight in terms of apparent height. It really soars for a ~680’ tower.

There’s actually a real contrast in this regard between OMP and WPE. True, they both when built ‘owned’ their respective bits of the skyline (OMP more so). However, OMP is not a flattering design with respect to its upward lift. (Or arguably with respect to anything else). It has an unfortunately clumsy massing, appearing downright chunky from some angles and was very obviously designed by much less skilled hands than WPE.

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Sep 2, 2019 at 9:57 PM.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
That’s only part of it.

This building’s massing/profile do it a lot of favors when it comes to its punching above its weight in terms of apparent height. It really soars for a ~680’ tower.

There’s actually a real contrast in this regard between OMP and WPE. True, they both when built ‘owned’ their respective bits of the skyline (OMP more so). However, OMP is not a flattering design with respect to its upward lift. (Or arguably with respect to anything else). It has an unfortunately clumsy massing, appearing downright chunky from some angles and was very obviously designed by much less skilled hands than WPE.
I believe the same firm designed both buildings ironically enough

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 12:44 PM

^Pappageorge Haymes designed One Museum Park East, Pelli Clarke Pelli designed Wolf Point East.

Pappageorge Haymes also designed the similar but shorter 465 N Park.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombardier View Post
^Pappageorge Haymes designed One Museum Park East, Pelli Clarke Pelli designed Wolf Point East.

Pappageorge Haymes also designed the similar but shorter 465 N Park.
All true things ... but Pappageorge Haymes is the AOR for WPE, with PCP being the design architect.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 3:14 PM

^For the idiots here (me), can you please explain in a little more detail what that means?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
^For the idiots here (me), can you please explain in a little more detail what that means?
For many large projects the actual Architect of Record (AOR) is different from the designer. The AOR is who actually stamps the drawings and does all the hundreds of pages of minutae including sectionals, details, floor plans for every common area or apartment, etc.

There are many reasons why those details are handed off to another firm. Oftentimes it's not where the design architect adds value, Helmut Jahn or Caesar Pelli are not best utilized measuring exactly where the toilets go in each unit. Their value is in the concept and creating a stunning exterior. The Design architect may not even have a license to operate in the location where the building is being built. Pelli probably doesn't even have a Chicago office, let alone expertise in dealing with the labarythian government regulations here. So someone with a big office with a ton of employees that cranks out plans 24/7 for all kinds of buildings here will be hired to flesh out the details and deal with the Department of Buildings.

This is a very common arrangement. For example, I recently stumbled across (and purchased) mechanical blueprints for Jahn's O'Hare Terminal at an antiques mall in Michigan. Jahn is not listed as the architect on those plans, Epstien is because they are the ones who took Jahn's art and converted it to practical layouts that meet every last requirement of a functional airport. After all, what does Jahn even know about designing gates or baggage turnstyles? So Jahn designed the sexy tunnels and arched passenger halls we know and love, but Epstien worked with consultants and engineers to figure out how to process baggage and locate bathrooms and provide spaces for vendors and aircraft services.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 3:54 PM

^^^ Boom.

Two other recent noteworthy AORs:

Vista Tower; design by Studio Gang, AOR: bKL Architecture.
One Bennett Park; design by Robert Stern, AOR: GREC Architects

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 2:55 AM

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 3:40 AM

Quote:
^^^ Boom.

Two other recent noteworthy AORs:

Vista Tower; design by Studio Gang, AOR: bKL Architecture.
One Bennett Park; design by Robert Stern, AOR: GREC Architects
I know we do not want to get too off topic, so apologies for this question, but who would be the blame for the VEing of OBP? Many people were disappointed with the final outcome, but do you blame Stern or do you blame GREC?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 6:49 AM

Couple updates on 9/03/2019.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohcatoah View Post
I know we do not want to get too off topic, so apologies for this question, but who would be the blame for the VEing of OBP? Many people were disappointed with the final outcome, but do you blame Stern or do you blame GREC?
You blame the client (Related), or you blame the Chicago luxury housing market, whose economics wouldn't support the kind of price tags a non VE'd Bennett Park would demand.

(Mods, feel free to move this over to One Bennett Park's thread.)

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 2:16 PM
BANNED

^^ Thanks for the shots, -Nick-. Her crown is going to be beautiful once the glass is up. One of the best this cycle.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 2:29 PM

Beautiful skyscraper.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 3:19 PM

Quote:
You blame the client (Related), or you blame the Chicago luxury housing market, whose economics wouldn't support the kind of price tags a non VE'd Bennett Park would demand.

(Mods, feel free to move this over to One Bennett Park's thread.)
As with all Related Midwest developments I blame them for repeatedly showing renderings of richly detailed buildings they don't remotely intend to build. Stern deserves some shade here due to the arrogant and condescending way he deigned to bestow his great talent upon us shit kicking, mouth breathing country hicks in Chicago.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 7:36 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Yep. This is precisely how my attribution would go as well. You blame the developer client, first and foremost. And, then, a very special shout-out to the invariably awful - and insufferable - Robert AM Stern.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 8:12 PM

Aug 27

from #TallShipWindy

Aug 30

Sept 4

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 11:53 PM

September 5, 2019

Montrose Point

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 3:30 AM

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 6:01 PM

September 7, 2019 from the Signature Room

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 6:03 PM

September 7, 2019 from Lake Michigan

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive