HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 6:52 PM

Ahh yeah that must be what I was thinking of. If it actually is stalled, I wonder if we could see another grocer approach the developer about taking over the lease. Its a good sized space with a decent amount of parking in an area that could really use a flagship grocer to complement the Asian market. Would be a shame to see it sit empty.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 7:30 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly_account12 View Post
Ahh yeah that must be what I was thinking of. If it actually is stalled, I wonder if we could see another grocer approach the developer about taking over the lease. Its a good sized space with a decent amount of parking in an area that could really use a flagship grocer to complement the Asian market. Would be a shame to see it sit empty.
I'd rather see a Giant, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Aldi, etc. open here.
Any of the above would be massively popular.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 7:47 PM

This stretch will have so many new units in 5 years. I just hope the city gets Spring Garden Street to a somewhat acceptable status. The trash is insane (even for Philadelphia's low standards) in most of Callowhill and whatever we're calling southern Northern Liberties these days. The empty triangle lot at Spring Garden, Ridge and 12th is the epicenter of the trash on this stretch. I can't believe the city refuses to try and fix the trash issue. The street sweeper pilot never even ticketed cars for not moving so the street sweeper never gets against the curb where all of the trash and debris actually is. Sorry for the rant, I'm just so tired of living in filth.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 12:02 AM

I got ticketed for not moving

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
This stretch will have so many new units in 5 years. I just hope the city gets Spring Garden Street to a somewhat acceptable status. The trash is insane (even for Philadelphia's low standards) in most of Callowhill and whatever we're calling southern Northern Liberties these days. The empty triangle lot at Spring Garden, Ridge and 12th is the epicenter of the trash on this stretch. I can't believe the city refuses to try and fix the trash issue. The street sweeper pilot never even ticketed cars for not moving so the street sweeper never gets against the curb where all of the trash and debris actually is. Sorry for the rant, I'm just so tired of living in filth.
I know someone who was ticketed on north broad several weeks ago.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
who owns the lot you speak of? Is it a city owned lot- i dont understand how a poorly maintained lot relates to street sweeping- it doesn't sound like any amount of street sweeping will address the issue you're mentioning.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 8:32 PM

Amazon Fresh in Broomall is creepy (your every move is monitored for the convenience of no checkout "bag and go") and they had a hard time keeping items stocked. An idea whose time should never come. I quit going after a few visits and there were hardly any customers on those visits.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Amazon Fresh in Broomall is creepy (your every move is monitored for the convenience of no checkout "bag and go") and they had a hard time keeping items stocked. An idea whose time should never come. I quit going after a few visits and there were hardly any customers on those visits.
Huh, I've never really stopped to think whether that concept is a good idea in practice. It sounds cool so I just kind of assumed it would be. It sounds pretty dystopian when you describe it. I'll have to go in and check it out for myself.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 1:18 AM

Re: the rumors about Amazon pulling out of this location
Quote:
Amazon Halted Fresh Grocery Store Rollout for Review, CEO Says
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s?srnd=premium

Amazon.com Inc. has paused expansion of its line of Amazon Fresh grocery stores as it evaluates how to make the chain stand out to shoppers, Chief Executive Officer Andy Jassy said on Thursday.
News site The Information reported in December that Amazon appeared to be letting new Fresh stores sit empty and unopened.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 1:26 AM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Supermarket business is a fiercely competitive business, especially in this area. Most are within under 2 miles from each other. Amazon Fresh hasn't really done anything special to draw consumers away from other traditional supermarkets like Giant, Acme, or Aldi. Other than their technology, it's not proven that consumers have lean in that direction. Whole Foods Market on the other hand is higher quality but also higher prices and their direct competitor would be Wegmans. Honestly, not surprise about this at all.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^
Supermarket business is a fiercely competitive business, especially in this area. Most are within under 2 miles from each other. Amazon Fresh hasn't really done anything special to draw consumers away from other traditional supermarkets like Giant, Acme, or Aldi. Other than their technology, it's not proven that consumers have lean in that direction. Whole Foods Market on the other hand is higher quality but also higher prices and their direct competitor would be Wegmans. Honestly, not surprise about this at all.
The store in the northeast has also stalled after a full build out and it was completed a little less than a year before the new Aldi up the Blvd will complete. I dont think its the location that's the problem. Sucks that the retail will be empty for so long. Hopefully, a grocery store will take over the lease as Spring Garden will have over 500 units come online in the next 2 years.

Also this project may be completed according to their interior design firm:
http://apopdesign.com/projects/the-carson/

Quote:
THE CARSON
PHILADELPHIA, PA
COMPLETED 2023
TEAM: RREI LLC, SCULLY COMPANY, BLTA, INTECH CONSTRUCTION
PHOTOGRAPHY BY: RAY CAVICCHIO

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 3:14 PM
Chris

Calling Trader Joe's or Whole Foods! This area needs both of them.

Giant too, this is far enough from their Broad & Spring Garden location.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeGuy View Post
Re: the rumors about Amazon pulling out of this location
I'm not surprised. To be honest it sounded like another tech solution in search of a problem. Who really has issues with just using a self checkout line for <5 minutes vs feeling watched by cameras? Hopefully it can get filled soon. The space would be too large as a single tenant probably, but I could see another Amazon Hub like the one in Graduate Hospital getting a lot of use

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 4:10 PM

^ Well stated. The Amazon Fresh in Broomall is a dud. Too much of a creepy surveillance state vibe with nothing to distinguish from an Acme with AI. I'd get more out of an Aldi or Lidl if TJ's isn't interested.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Calling Trader Joe's or Whole Foods! This area needs both of them.

Giant too, this is far enough from their Broad & Spring Garden location.
Oh a Trader Joes would be money there.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 4:42 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

I'm kinda upset about this because I wanted to try it out, I thought it was cool to be able to just put items in a cart, and they are scanned automatically freeing up time at a line.

Maybe they need to work on the concept a little more, and make it a more worthwhile shopping experience.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 5:32 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Oh a Trader Joes would be money there.
You can request a store here.
https://www.traderjoes.com/home/cont...equest-a-store

Social media is for once being positive tagging Trader Joe's in posts about The Carson. A slam dunk location.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 8:46 PM
Chris

Looks to be wrapped up by May.

The Carson is nearing its debut in Northern Liberties, with some pandemic-era enhancements

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=1#cxrecs_s

The 12-story building, called The Carson, is speeding toward an expected opening in May, and the finished product will have some notable differences from its original design.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2023, 7:40 PM

Old Posted Feb 21, 2023, 7:49 PM

My god, what a transformation for that site. In two years this intersection will be the unrecognizable. Amazing!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive