Boisbriand 2,100 9.4%

http://www.jewishdatabank.org/Studie...fm?FileID=3134

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 4:43 PM

And for selected Toronto areas:

Annex/Yorkville 3,520 12.8%
Forest Hill/Cedarvale 14,165 31.3%
North York 58,370 9.1%
(York Mills 5,990 20.5%)
(Bathurst-Sheppard/Steeles 18,750 21.2%)
Thornhill (Vaughan) 46,175 39.6%

http://www.jewishdatabank.org/studie...fm?FileID=3130

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Of course French Jewry is on the decline today - many heading to Israel and to Montreal, London, Miami etc.
mm... I don't think it'd be anything obvious enough to begin that statement with "of course". I mean in spite of our contemporary issues, this is still definitely one of the easiest countries of the world to live in.

That said, I was born to a Catholic family, so I just can't tell what it feels like to be regarded as a Jew. I only know a couple of guys from so called Jewish families, of those who've been here for many centuries. I think they'd rather die than leave Paris, but they're not religious at all. They don't even mind about any Jewish or whatever identity. For example, one of them is pretty spoiled, lol, of a well off family with plenty of stuff and friends, so it'd be hard for him to leave everything he's got here. He most likely would feel like he'd have no life left if he ever moved elsewhere.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 5:03 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
The Third Reich??

Europe, especially Eastern Europe, had a gigantic Jewish population before WW2. North Africa/Middle East also had a large Jewish population, before decolonization and the rise of Islamic states.

Those that weren't killed usually ended up in Israel, the U.S., and a few other places.

I actually think those European numbers are fairly high. I had no idea there were still so many Jews in Budapest. How did that community survive? Paris, I knew, because Algerian and North African Jews mostly fled there following decolonization, but those numbers are higher than expected, IMO.

I'm also amazed/slightly suspicious of the Russia/Ukraine numbers. There are really 110,000 Jews in Kiev? There are hundreds of thousands of Ukranian Jews in the U.S. and Israel, all who came in recent decades. How many could be left?
it's just weird to me that say london is below atlanta in 2016.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 5:10 PM

There are 120,000 Jews in Atlanta.

http://www.jewishdatabank.org/Studie...fm?FileID=3335

The 172,000 figure for London may not include the home counties.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
mm... I don't think it'd be anything obvious enough to begin that statement with "of course". I mean in spite of our contemporary issues, this is still definitely one of the easiest countries of the world to live in.

That said, I was born to a Catholic family, so I just can't tell what it feels like to be regarded as a Jew. I only know a couple of guys from so called Jewish families, of those who've been here for many centuries. I think they'd rather die than leave Paris, but they're not religious at all. They don't even mind about any Jewish or whatever identity. For example, one of them is pretty spoiled, lol, of a well off family with plenty of stuff and friends, so it'd be hard for him to leave everything he's got here. He most likely would feel like he'd have no life left if he ever moved elsewhere.
Hey, I'm no Netanyahu supporter calling on French Jews to commit "aliyah" (I personally would live in France over my "homeland" in Israel any day. But no need to get into that). I just meant that I thought the modern day emigration from France was well known.

I suspect it's more the religious, traditional and Sephardic families that are leaving.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 5:22 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
There are 120,000 Jews in Atlanta.

http://www.jewishdatabank.org/Studie...fm?FileID=3335

The 172,000 figure for London may not include the home counties.
i was only going by the previous wikipedia link. your link actually boosts numbers for other cities in the US like st. louis, to over 60,000 (which seems low to me, but i live in a heavily jewish neighborhood).

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 5:23 PM

I would also be somewhat skeptical of the Jewish counts. There are no uniform business rules for counting Jews; they're just getting estimates from local Jewish organizations.

I really would be curious to know if the Budapest and Kiev figures are accurate. They sound very odd, but who knows.

Hungary had a huge Jewish population prior to WW2, but it was decimated. Cities like Prague and Warsaw have almost no Jews; why would Budapest have such a large community in 2016? Not a wealthy city or immigrant hub so almost certainly a longstanding population.

And if Kiev has 110k in 2016, they must have had an insane number a few decades ago. 500k or something in the 70's, prior to emigration? Sounds very high.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Hungary had a huge Jewish population prior to WW2, but it was decimated. Cities like Prague and Warsaw have almost no Jews; why would Budapest have such a large community in 2016? Not a wealthy city or immigrant hub so almost certainly a longstanding population.
A majority of Budapest Jews survived the war, in contrast to the provincial Jewry of Hungary. And likely the Jewish population has gravitated further towards Budapest since. It's also quite likely the case that they have a very liberal definition of who is Jewish (i.e. one Jewish grandparent).

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 10:14 PM

Montreal lost a good chunk of its wealthier jews to Toronto in the 70s-80s. Part of the anglo diaspora after the PQ came to power.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoshvilli View Post
Montreal lost a good chunk of its wealthier jews to Toronto in the 70s-80s. Part of the anglo diaspora after the PQ came to power.
Yup, a good number of Jews in Toronto have Montreal roots. For most of the 20th century Montreal was the largest Jewish center in the country with Toronto close behind, but today Toronto has about twice as many Jews as Montreal.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 11:22 PM

This link is from the World Jewish Conference. It discusses Jewish population in Hungary and Budapest. They estimate that 80% of Hungary's current Jewish population lives in Budapest. There numbers are lower than other estimates found online. http://www.worldjewishcongress.org/e...communities/HU

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Yup, a good number of Jews in Toronto have Montreal roots. For most of the 20th century Montreal was the largest Jewish center in the country with Toronto close behind, but today Toronto has about twice as many Jews as Montreal.
It's strange; at least to me, Montreal "feels" more Jewish. It could just be the higher % of Orthodox/Hasidic population. At least in NYC, there seem to be very strong Jewish links with Montreal.

And I know it isn't really Jewish, per se, but the famed Montreal bagels and smoked meat are kinda in that ethnic category.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 12:44 AM

Yeah, Montreal really pulls above its weight as a Jewish center IMO (Toronto is no slouch, but it has a lot more Jews). I think its high visibility is for the following reasons:

1. Montreal Jews make up a very large percentage of the English-speaking population in Montreal. If you're a unilingual anglophone and don't have much to do with the overwhelmingly francophone parts of Montreal, the Jewish presence is much more visible than their numbtheers.

2. Montreal has produced a lot of famous Jewish Canadian writers and cultural figures (Mordecai Richler, Leonard Cohen).

3. Hasidic Jews in inner city areas. Toronto's Orthodox Jews (mostly not Hasidic) live further away from the core, such as in the inner suburban Bathurst-Lawrence district or further afield in the suburb of Thornhill. Image if Hasidic Jews had moved into Kensington Market and the Annex!

Montreal's Jewish community incidentally, kind of looks like a "mini-Brooklyn."

Last edited by Docere; Oct 6, 2016 at 1:29 AM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 1:49 AM

I used to see a coupla busses w New York plates dropping off young prospects of either sex to meet prospective spouses in the community. I suppose it is important to seek outside the immediate social circles. This would happen on Fridays near Park Avenue and St-Viateur next to the YMCA.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 11:17 PM

Language of Montreal Jews

English 60,190 66.3%
French 14,820 16.3%
Yiddish 6,905 7.6%
Russian 4,115 4.5%
Hebrew 2,345 2.6%

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
suprised Paris not higher
I think Paris had something like 350,000 Jews at some point, not surprised it's dropped off a bit.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 2:45 PM

Quote:
I think Paris had something like 350,000 Jews at some point, not surprised it's dropped off a bit.
Well I am being surpised and disturbed, eh. I got to tell everyone here, this is a bad sign at the moment.

For World War 2 taught us about something. When the Jewish community feels happy, we're all good. It's an evidence that our society does fine and balanced.

Remember how devastated Germany was by the 1929 crash, more affected than any other country in the world in the early 1930s, cause I believe their economy was already mostly relying on their exportations that totally collapsed. They had a 30% unemployment rate and even a chimpanzee would've laughed at their currency back then. Like they needed billions of Deutsche Marks to buy a pound of apples and a bit of butter. An amazing disaster that drove them panic stricken. They were just dying from the economic crash. Then you see what happened...

It seems the Jews are quite often taken as convenient "whipping boys" or "scapegoats", whatever they call it in English. It's always such an easy, ugly cowardly thing to martyr a minority, whether it would be ethnic or religious.

That's why most of us are kind of worried when we hear the Jews, no matter how actually Jewish they would be, say they feel unsafe and almost like strangers here today.
This is quite a bit insane when you think about it, and we're going to do something about that.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 4:38 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

In fact the Jewish emigration has slowed a lot in 2016.
I see more and more people openly showing their Jewish identity in Paris.
I think that the latest terrorist attacks did show to many French Jews that they were not the only target.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions