HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 10:52 PM
Space Magi

So I did a little digging through the SLC Citizen Portal and found that Convexity (31 stories), South West Temple (25 stories), and West Quarter Block C (16 stories) have all recently submitted applications for commercial building permits that are at various stages of the approval process. It looks to me like Convexity is the closest to being approved, and they've also submitted an application to close shoulder lanes on 200E and 300S during construction. I don't see a demolition permit for the Royal Wood Plaza though, so I'm not sure what that means for Block C.

None of these should need to go through a design review, unless I'm mistaken. Block C is D-4 but it looks like the zoning code was amended to allow buildings between 120' and 375' if they comply with design guidelines.

Last edited by Atlas; Feb 3, 2022 at 6:57 AM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 12:01 AM

Thanks Atlas. I appreciate all you contribute. That's exciting about the Convexity Tower.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
So I did a little digging through the SLC Citizen Portal and found that Convexity (31 stories), South West Temple (25 stories), and West Quarter Block C (16 stories) have all recently submitted applications for commercial building permits that are at various stages of the approval process. It looks to me like Convexity is the closest to being approved, and they've also submitted an application to close shoulder lanes on 200E and 200S during construction. I don't see a demolition permit for the Royal Wood Plaza though, so I'm not sure what that means for Block C.

Block C is D-4 but it looks like the zoning code was amended to allow buildings between 120' and 375' if they comply with design guidelines.
The whole West Quarter Phase 2 is part of a planned development. As long as the work conforms to the planned development that was approved by the Planning Commission/City Council, the developer is able to pull permits without needing to go through the Planning Commission for an adjustment. There is a large portion of SW section of the RWP parking that has been marked off. I don't think we will see work start for a little bit still as there is a temporary crane that has been utilized to assist with some work on the backside of the RWP, adjacent to the new hotel building. At least that is what it appears to be.

It is good to hear about Convexity and South West Temple. These, plus The West Quarter (phase 2), Astra, Main Street Apartments, and very possibly Sundial all being in various stages of construction/excavation this year will set a new construction record for the City. This is just the tower projects and doesn't even count the numerous infill projects that are popping up throughout downtown and adjacent districts.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
Video Link

I admit, I am surprised that they were surprised. This project has been known for about 2 years now, at least on this site and from BSL.
I swear some people really live in a bubble. I took an Uber yesterday and was shocked by the (although I guess I'm really not that surprised.) lack of knowledge of my caucasian, early twenties, local valley girl driver. What are some of the high schools turning out these days? Forget that she thought Salt Lake City is someplace in California. She was completely clueless as to famous locales in Central L.A. I use to think those Leno on the street interview skits were setups.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 1:17 AM
Eschew Obfuscation

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 2:29 PM

Speaking of the Lotus project over on the S-line and 7th East, has anyone noticed lately how their Lotus 'Republic' project on 300 E. and just off South Temple is progressing? Also, there was the Lotus Bella Grace across the street, which should begin shortly after the Republic is finished.

Downtown Update - Lotus Republic

Luke Garrott Reports - Full Article @ https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/80-...cs-urban-core/

East Downtown will soon see new residential construction along the South Temple – 100 South corridor. At 25 South 300 East, Lotus Republic will add 80 market-rate apartments to what may already be the densest residential area in the state.
The News Spy

The podium + 5 story mixed-use building will house 56 micro (460 sf) and 24 1-bdrm (740 sf) units. The project provides 80 parking stalls for a 1 : 1 ratio.

On the ground floor, 1168 sf of retail space will house the Republic Taphouse.

It will replace the former single-story Utah College of Massage Therapy and more recently Cortiva Institute building. Think Architecture of Sandy is the architect.

https://i0.wp.com/www.buildingsaltla...24%2C783&ssl=1

September 26th

Lotus Republic SLC - 6 floors & 80 units - under construction

Photo By Blah_Amazing

November 5th

Photo By BretUtah

Downtown Update - Lotus 300, 'The Bella Grace'

...To be located directly across the street from the above Lotus Republic, 'Tapestry'.

September 26th

Lotus 300 - site currently used as staging for Lotus Republic across the street. Construction will likely begin when that project finishes.

Photo By Blah_Amazing

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 6:48 PM

I hope that Lotus goes back and rethinks the design on "The Bella Grace" before they start on it. It's too small for that site. Six-seven stories squanders that location.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 7:11 PM

I'll go check the site in a few hours. I live close.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 7:35 PM

I was at the 255 S. State project to check out their structural system. I took some pics of Liberty Sky and Astra from some of the upper levels. I also took a photo of how the 255 state project frames the view of the little old building in the back. Though, having troubles sending the photos.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 8:07 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I was at the 255 S. State project to check out their structural system. I took some pics of Liberty Sky and Astra from some of the upper levels. I also took a photo of how the 255 state project frames the view of the little old building in the back. Though, having troubles sending the photos.
Have you tried imgur?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 9:16 PM

Walked by the 100 S and State street intersection today going into work. There is nothing in terms of retail at that intersection if you don’t include Harmon’s. Between the century link building, government buildings and new 95 S state building there’s just a bunch of windowless solid walls at ground level. Some retail at 95 S would have been nice.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 11:03 PM
Space Magi

The Walker Center's weather tower just got an LED upgrade! Really cool!

Walker Center's new high-tech tower lights up Salt Lake City skyline

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 11:11 PM
They all float down here

That's great. But that news story is so dramatic lmao

Were people really disturbed that the lights went out for a few weeks?

Also, that segment reinforces a long-running story that just isn't true - that when the Walker Center was completed in 1912, it was the tallest building from Chicago to the West Coast.

In fact, by 1912, Denver's Daniels & Fisher Tower, built a year earlier, was taller. It's 325 feet. The Walker Center is only 220 feet. And you can't use the radio tower that was added to it - as that didn't happen until the 1950s.

Sorry...gotta be a buzzkill for a moment.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2022, 5:08 AM

Lotus Republic Progress

Old Posted Feb 5, 2022, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
That's great. But that news story is so dramatic lmao

Were people really disturbed that the lights went out for a few weeks?

Also, that segment reinforces a long-running story that just isn't true - that when the Walker Center was completed in 1912, it was the tallest building from Chicago to the West Coast.

In fact, by 1912, Denver's Daniels & Fisher Tower, built a year earlier, was taller. It's 325 feet. The Walker Center is only 220 feet. And you can't use the radio tower that was added to it - as that didn't happen until the 1950s.

Sorry...gotta be a buzzkill for a moment.
Ha, fantastic. Love the folklore.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2022, 3:25 PM

Looking good. Thanks, Allh! Also, I noticed on Reddit that FOX13 is reporting that the plan to dredge Utah Lake and create islands is very much alive and moving forward. I posted the article and the links over on the Provo Metro Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allh View Post

Last edited by delts145; Feb 5, 2022 at 4:46 PM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2022, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElvis View Post
Ha, fantastic. Love the folklore.
You just killed my childhood, haha. My dad always told me it was the tallest building between the Mississippi River and the West Coast. Someone needs to fix Wikipedia since it repeats the non truth.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2022, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Looking good. Thanks, Allh! Also, I noticed on Reddit that FOX13 is reporting that the plan to dredge Utah Lake and create islands is very much alive and moving forward. I posted the article and the links over on the Provo Metro Thread.
The project is touted as an environmental restoration project to fix the algae blooms. I’m skeptical. Sounds more like Utah wants their little piece of Dubai. Even with deepening the lake by 6-7 feet via dredging, I wonder if that amount of depth and subsequent cooling of the lake will offset algae blooms from the additional nutrients (nitrogen, phosphorus) from lawn fertilizers that will run off into the lake from all the proposed development on the islands. Couple that with climate change and increasing temperatures (another factor that increases algae blooms) and drought and increased population and water consumption, will an additional 6 feet in depth really lead to higher lake levels and cooler lake temperatures? Or will it just result in a deeper lake with lower lake levels with similar temperatures and worse algae blooms from the added development adjacent to the lake? I’m sure the local engineering company and the army core of engineers have thought all this through and ran future climate models and stream flow models for northern Utah. They have a good record with the dredging of the lower Mississippi and their ideology of controlling nature so I have faith in them (sarcasm). Wonder if these plans materialize? Their team says they’re going through the NEPA process and it’s a slam dunk pro-environmental project. I’m more than skeptical.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2022, 5:48 AM

At The Fairgrounds Apartments - Commercial Building Permit

https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

Address: 122 North 1000 West

A building permit has been filed for the 'At The Fairgrounds Apartments' project.

Project Description (from filing):
Quote:
New build 5 story wood framed apartments, 58 units, studios, one and two bedrooms

Old Posted Feb 6, 2022, 8:16 AM
Lahaina Strong

Took some photos today while attending to some business in downtown.

255 South State

And Astra, because we all can't get enough of them drilling holes in the ground.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West