HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 1:18 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
It's actually Indiana University of Pennsylvania, and California University of Pennsylvania.
That's even worse!

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
In the academic world, a lot of people get thrown by Miami university (in Oxford, Ohio).
Lots of us NCAA bball fans know Miami University because it often wins the MAC and is written as "MIAMI (OH)" in the NCAA Tournament brackets.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 3:48 AM
E pluribus unum

It's also a college hockey powerhouse and might be one of the first public ivies?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 12:05 PM

Miami (OH) is a fairly prominent school in the Eastern Midwest. Many consider it to be the premier public undergrad school in OH, moreso than Ohio State.

It's stereotyped as being very white, bro-ish, frat-oriented. Tons of suburban upper middle class Ohioans.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 2:27 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Unless he’s a gardener he doesn’t live in Hyde Park. There’s no neighborhood that takes it’s name from the park itself.
https://www.google.com/maps?client=f..._AUoAXoECAEQAw

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
not as bad as Pennsylvania State University -California or Pennsylvania State University-Indiana.
Driving I-80 through Pennsylvania, you kinda get the feeling that central Penn. had a serious identity crisis at one point. Towns named Jersey Shore, colleges named after other states. It's weird...

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Wonder if there's any New Yorker aware that the state of Wyoming contains no less than all of the following: an Albany, a Buffalo, and an Atlantic City
Western NY has a Wyoming county. Wyoming was admitted as a state in 1890. Wyoming Co. NY was formed in 1841. Wonder if there is a connection. May not be a coincident that there are cities named after older cities in NY state (minus Atlantic city which is in New Jersey).

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares41 View Post
Western NY has a Wyoming county. Wyoming was admitted as a state in 1890. Wyoming Co. NY was formed in 1841. Wonder if there is a connection. May not be a coincident that there are cities named after older cities in NY state (minus Atlantic city which is in New Jersey).
There's a Wyoming in Michigan, too. It's a suburb of Grand Rapids. According to Wikipedia, it got its name from Wyoming County, NY, and it's also older than the state of Wyoming.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 2:10 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Don't forget Wyoming, Ontario.

This could be your home!

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 2:44 PM

Quote:
not as bad as Pennsylvania State University -California or Pennsylvania State University-Indiana.
That's not the naming format.

Pennsylvania State University (Penn State) is the state's land grant school. It is "state-related", but not administered by the state. Penn State, Pitt, Temple, and Lincoln are part of the Commonwealth System of Higher Education in Pennsylvania, and receive some financial appropriations from the state in exchange for lowered tuition costs for in-state residents. But they are basically private universities in partnership with the state of PA.

The Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education is composed of 14 state-owned and administered universities.

Indiana University of Pennsylvania and California University of Pennsylvania are part of the state system.

Quote:
That's even worse!
Indiana, Pennsylvania was a town before the State of Indiana ever existed. Ditto for Indiana Township near Pittsburgh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Driving I-80 through Pennsylvania, you kinda get the feeling that central Penn. had a serious identity crisis at one point. Towns named Jersey Shore, colleges named after other states. It's weird...
You really get that feeling? In one of the oldest states in the nation?...

The colleges are not named after other states. They're named for the town where they are located.

For Indiana, PA, see above.

Although, the coal mining town California, PA (founded in 1849) was named after the California gold rush, in hopes of gaining similar mineral riches. Many towns in coal country are named after the mine in the area... some were very productive and a town formed around the mine to support it. Towns with highly productive mines became permanent settlements, a la California PA.

Jersey Shore, PA is on the eastern shore of the West Branch Susquehanna River. The naming origin not fully clear... the settlers were from New Jersey and/or given the location on the eastern shore of the river, towards NJ.

I mean, you seriously think they named the place after having summer fun on the boardwalk in AC or Seaside Heights or Wildwood in the late 18th century?

Last edited by pj3000; Jul 29, 2021 at 2:59 PM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 3:05 PM

Dayton Ohio and Dayton Kentucky are less than 60 miles apart. It's easy to get confused when Cincinnati media talks about "Dayton".

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
You really get that feeling? In one of the oldest states in the nation?...

The colleges are not named after other states. They're named for the town where they are located.
It was a joke, lol.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 3:31 PM

Quote:
It was a joke, lol.
Quote:
Hilarious!

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Hilarious!

src: https://giphy.com/gifs/cbc-schitts-c...3sDubkQp51MkL5

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 3:57 PM

^ I'm all about the facts, jack!

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 7:09 PM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDipper 80 View Post
Dayton Ohio and Dayton Kentucky are less than 60 miles apart. It's easy to get confused when Cincinnati media talks about "Dayton".
Outsiders might confuse them, maybe, but I think the Tri-State mostly knows what's what. Dayton, KY is a tiny-ass little town upriver from Downtown Cincinnati.

Dayton, OH is, well, Dayton. In all fairness, I haven't lived in Cincinnati in over 25 years and grew up in Newtown. Aside from the Air Force Museum, Dayton wasn't ever much discussed or brought up aside from when we could occasionally get its TV channels on the antenna, depending on the weather.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares41 View Post
Quote:
There's a Wyoming in Michigan, too. It's a suburb of Grand Rapids. According to Wikipedia, it got its name from Wyoming County, NY, and it's also older than the state of Wyoming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Don't forget Wyoming, Ontario.
The only explanation for this must be that something that sounds like "Wyoming" means something in a bunch of Native American languages of the Midwest and Great Plains.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Thought this forum would enjoy this; I know I did.
I don't get it. I don't even know whether it's supposed to be funny, but that must be because I'm from Europe.

I know the East- and West-coast atmospheres are different, but Idk what Dallas, St Louis or Detroit feel like.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 9:49 PM
devout Pizzatarian

One way to find out if your city's name has come to own itself is if a wikipedia search takes you directly to its wikipedia page or if it first takes you to a disambiguation page.

"Columbus" is the largest US city that I've found that takes you to a disambiguation page first, thanks in no small part to being named after Christopher Columbus.

If you omit the "D.C." from "Washington", you also get a disambiguation page.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
One way to find out if your city's name has come to own itself is if a wikipedia search takes you directly to its wikipedia page or if it first takes you to a disambiguation page.

"Columbus" is the largest US city that I've found that takes you to a disambiguation page first, thanks in no small part to being named after Christopher Columbus.

If you omit the "D.C." from "Washington", you also get a disambiguation page.
Portland also takes you to a disambiguation page.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions