HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 10:16 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Asheville has a large population of Ukrainians and Moldovans, to the point that all the "serious" signage, such as the signs pointing the way to police stations and the hospital, and all the notices at the health department, and printed in English, Spanish, and in Cyrillic.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 1:29 PM
BANNED

Polish ancestry ("Polish Americans") list of cities sorted nominally, I'm surprised to see Phoenix rank so high, but I guess it makes sense with the Midwest to Phoenix migration connection. No surprise here: Pittsburgh, Milwaukee and Chicago have the highest percentage.

New York City, New York - 213,447 (2.7%)
Chicago, Illinois - 210,421 (7.3%)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - 65,508 (4.3%)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin - 57,485 (9.6%)
Los Angeles, California - 56,670 (1.5%)
Buffalo, New York - 34,254 (11.7%)
Phoenix, Arizona - 32,050 (2.4%)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania - 28,178 (8.4%)
San Diego, California - 25,201 (2.1%)
Cleveland, Ohio - 22,978 (4.8%)
Houston, Texas - 19,290 (1%)
Detroit, Michigan - 18,992 (2.0%)
Baltimore, Maryland - 18,400
San Antonio, Texas - 14,475 (1.3%)
San Francisco, California - 14,332 (1.8%)
Boston, Massachusetts - 13,704 (2.3%)
Seattle, Washington - 12,622 (2.2%)
Las Vegas, Nevada - 12,188 (2.5%)

wikipedia

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 1:51 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelback View Post
. No surprise here: Pittsburgh, Milwaukee and Chicago have the highest percentage.
Don't sleep on buffalo, it actually has the highest percentage on that list at 11.7%.

As I suspected, the rust belt dominates here, though detroit is surprisingly low. I thought it would have at least been in the cleveland range, percentage-wise.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 21, 2021 at 2:14 PM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 2:39 PM

I think he's doing city proper, which is largely meaningless. Detroit proper hasn't had a Polish presence in 40-50 years. It barely even has a Non-Hispanic, Non-Arab white population.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 2:49 PM

Los Angeles has what seems to be a big Russian community, mainly centered in West Hollywood, though I read an article some years ago that this community has started to dwindle... I'm assuming they're moving on from West Hollywood? You still see "аптека" signs, though, and I believe there are still some Russian banyas around.

My partner and I both have worked with Russian immigrants. His Russian co-worker, she was a hoot! My Russian co-worker was nice, but she reeked.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 2:54 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I think he's doing city proper, which is largely meaningless.
oh yeah, totally..... duh.

i should've looked at the raw numbers more closely.

without even checking i know that metro detroit has far more than 19,000 people of polish ancestry. like A LOT more.

it'd be interesting to see where detroit would fit in metro-wise. my guess is that it would fall much more closely in-line with its rustbelt cousins.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 7:19 PM
Brooklyn/Philly/Nashvegas

The neighborhood I grew up in in Philly (Northern Liberties/East Poplar) used to have a fair number of Ukrainians; there are still a number of churches and of course the Ukrainian Cathedral is there:

https://www.ukrcathedral.com/

The East Village in New York had a large Ukrainian population as well, the Community Center is still there (which remains a great place to get a good meal), but I think that w/r/t the "regular" restaurants only Kiev is left..Not sure how the Polish community in Williamsburg and Greenpoint is doing with all of the crazy gentrification. There were lots of Poles there when I lived in Williamsburg (1994-6), but I get a sense they've dispersed or been displaced.

It's getting harder to get pierogies and babka 'round these parts.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 8:14 PM

Greenpoint is still heavily Polish, but less so than in the 1990's and early 2000's. Many have moved to Ridgewood, Middle Village, Glendale and Maspeth, obviously due to gentrification.

But Greenpoint is still chock full of Polish restaurants, delis, clubs, etc. It's still probably the most visible urban community of Poles outside Europe. Many Poles were homeowners and stayed, others live in rent controlled apartments, and so can't easily be evicted. Greenpoint has excellent public schools so those with children are probably incentivized to stay.

The East Village has a few remaining Ukrainian institutions, including a big new Ukrainian Museum, and major churches and schools, but, as a residential community, it's largely gone.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelback View Post
Polish ancestry ("Polish Americans") list of cities sorted nominally, I'm surprised to see Phoenix rank so high, but I guess it makes sense with the Midwest to Phoenix migration connection. No surprise here: Pittsburgh, Milwaukee and Chicago have the highest percentage.

New York City, New York - 213,447 (2.7%)
Chicago, Illinois - 210,421 (7.3%)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - 65,508 (4.3%)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin - 57,485 (9.6%)
Los Angeles, California - 56,670 (1.5%)
Buffalo, New York - 34,254 (11.7%)
Phoenix, Arizona - 32,050 (2.4%)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania - 28,178 (8.4%)
San Diego, California - 25,201 (2.1%)
Cleveland, Ohio - 22,978 (4.8%)
Houston, Texas - 19,290 (1%)
Detroit, Michigan - 18,992 (2.0%)
Baltimore, Maryland - 18,400
San Antonio, Texas - 14,475 (1.3%)
San Francisco, California - 14,332 (1.8%)
Boston, Massachusetts - 13,704 (2.3%)
Seattle, Washington - 12,622 (2.2%)
Las Vegas, Nevada - 12,188 (2.5%)

wikipedia
Quote:
I think he's doing city proper, which is largely meaningless. Detroit proper hasn't had a Polish presence in 40-50 years. It barely even has a Non-Hispanic, Non-Arab white population.
Yeah, I'm not aware of any real cohesive Polish community in Phoenix (although it's a big city and I could just be uninformed). I do have one born-in-Poland person in my larger social sphere. Probably right that the list flatters Phoenix a little, and the high raw number is a function of being a city proper of 1.5m with a substantial number of Midwest transplants.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 9:15 PM
Dryer lint inspector

A lot of people of Polish descent from the Rust Belt have moved to the Sun Belt which could reflect the Phoenix, Houston, Vegas, San Antonio numbers. I could technically claim Polish ancestry for Houston since my paternal grandmother was Polish.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 12:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Yes it's city proper, I thought that was obvious, I should've said that. My mistake.

I wouldn't say that it's largely meaningless though. Detroit emptied out. Polish Americans must have left in large numbers because there are other Michigan cities that have the highest Polish American population percentage in America.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
the last old school specifically polish sausage shop (that i know of in the city limits - not counting german or bosnian sausage shops) is in a neighborhood as close to NE as you can get in st louis, also hugging industry, a major expressway, and the river the same way as port richmond. the ancient polish falcons hall/mansion is nearby too which is an immense labyrinth. sometimes there are weird demographic geographical similarities with philadelphia - the street system was also originally americanized to emulate philly.

umission.org
Philly has 2 kielbasa makers still in operation: Czerw's and Swiaki's, both in Port Richmond. If you are Eastern European, which you patronize is a statement of declaration for your family. My grandparents were from the Ukraine and Lithuania. We are a Swiaki's family. When serving kielbasa at a holiday function, literally the first question out of anyone's mouth is "Czerw's or Swiaki's"?

Along Castor and Bustleton Avenues in NE Philly, there are a ton of small specialty shops and restaurants representing traditions from various countries of the former Soviet Bloc. The most well known is a Russian Market called Bells but there are probably hundreds of others. Some of the more interesting newer restaurants are owned by Uzbeki's (sp?) and Kazaks.

NE Philly is turning into a fascinating part of Philadelphia. Sort of our version of Queens. It has morphed from sort of white working class into extremely diverse middle class ethnic enclave. Thousands and thousands of new residents of course from Russia, but also Central Asia, India, Brazil, Venezuela, and West Africa. The largest enclave of Chinese in Philadelphia has shifted from Chinatown to the Mayfair neighborhood of Northeast Philly...those arrivals are mostly migrating from NYC. Mayfair Elementary School is something like 35% Chinese now and bursting at the seams.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 4:45 PM

Ethnic Origin: Toronto Census Metropolitan Area

Polish 237,240 4%
Ukrainian 144,330 2.5%
Russian 139,910 2.4%
Hungarian 59,720 1%
Romanian 50,515 0.9%
Croatian 37,460 0.6%
Serbian 33,055 0.6%
Macedonian 28,315 0.5%
Lithuanian 19,525 0.3%
Albanian 17,685 0.3%
Czech 16,630 0.3%
Slovak 14,580 0.2%
Bulgarian 11,220 0.2%

Last edited by Docere; Apr 22, 2021 at 5:04 PM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 4:46 PM

Country of Birth

Former Soviet Union (European pt) 86,415
Russian Federation 35,710
Ukraine 33,675
Belarus 5,720
Moldova 4,590
Latvia 2,880
Lithuania 2,395
Estonia 1,445

Poland 58,480

Former Yugoslavia 47,525
Serbia 13,345
Croatia 12,320
Bosnia and Herzegovina 9,775
Macedonia 6,575
Slovenia 2,965
Kosovo 1,740
Montenegro 805

Romania 25,800

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 5:05 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Some of the more interesting newer restaurants are owned by Uzbeki's (sp?) and Kazaks.
Uzbeki food is outstanding. Same with Georgian food. Russian food is pretty blah, so many former Soviets like cuisines coming out of the Caucuses and the Central Asian states, with lots of interesting Silk Road influences.

And a lot of Jewish former Soviets are actually from Samarkand, Uzbekistan area, which was an enclave of Bukharan Jews. Central Queens, especially, is full of Uzbeki restaurants, and Southern Brooklyn is full of Georgian restaurants.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Don't sleep on buffalo, it actually has the highest percentage on that list at 11.7%.
Buffalo is probably the "most Polish" city in the US. Its suburbs alone have far more Polish than many cities on that list. The "Polish Belt" pretty much rings the Great Lakes, dipping down into NE PA and SW PA.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
What is the Slavic/Eastern European presence in your city? Most Europeans who have arrived in the last 30 years or so have probably come from east side of the old iron curtain. Obviously there's wide variation between say the Parma and Cheektowaga-type "Polish American" suburbs and recent immigrants.

I get the sense that beyond the immigrant generation Slavs seem less distinctive and blend into the "white mainstream" more than say southern European groups like Italians or Greeks (or obviously Jews).
Is the Parma you're referencing the suburb of Cleveland? I know the Cleveland area has tons of people from Eastern Europe (the city even has neighborhoods called Slavic Village and Ukranian Village, though both have long been abandoned by the ethnicities they were named for), but is Parma especially known for this?

I have a Croatian friend whose family immigrated to Cleveland in the 90s during the Balkan conflict. He said there was a pretty substantial population of Croatians in the Cleveland area.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 5:36 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Uzbeki food is outstanding. Same with Georgian food. Russian food is pretty blah, so many former Soviets like cuisines coming out of the Caucuses and the Central Asian states, with lots of interesting Silk Road influences.

And a lot of Jewish former Soviets are actually from Samarkand, Uzbekistan area, which was an enclave of Bukharan Jews. Central Queens, especially, is full of Uzbeki restaurants, and Southern Brooklyn is full of Georgian restaurants.
We don't have nearly as much of that style of food in chicago as NYC, but one of my favorite restaurants in my neighborhood is a little mom n' pop kyrgyz BYO that has outstanding food.

I love how it blends all of these east asian, south asian, and middle eastern influences.

True fusion cooking from centuries ago.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Is the Parma you're referencing the suburb of Cleveland? I know the Cleveland area has tons of people from Eastern Europe (the city even has neighborhoods called Slavic Village and Ukranian Village, though both have long been abandoned by the ethnicities they were named for), but is Parma especially known for this?

I have a Croatian friend whose family immigrated to Cleveland in the 90s during the Balkan conflict. He said there was a pretty substantial population of Croatians in the Cleveland area.
Yes, that's where he's talking about. Parma (along with Cheektowaga) is among the most "Polish" cities in the US.

There's proabably more Polish people ringing Lake Erie than anywhere else in the US.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions