HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 1:11 AM

The Next Canadian Olympics

What will the next city to host the Olympics be? Winter or Summer? Will it be a city that has already hosted, or a new host?

I know it's only been four years since Vancouver, but with Olympics in 1976, 1988, and 2010, Canada should expect another Olympics some time in the future.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post
What will the next city to host the Olympics be? Winter or Summer? Will it be a city that has already hosted, or a new host?

I know it's only been four years since Vancouver, but with Olympics in 1976, 1988, and 2010, Canada should expect another Olympics some time in the future.
I think the next Olympics should be a summer Olympics in Toronto. Toronto is growing into a wonderful city, but this is a relatively new phenomenon and most people's ideas about any place they're fairly unfamiliar with are outdated by at least a decade. The Olympics would do amazing things to showcase Toronto to the world, and it'd be the kind of event that would spur the real intelligent city building and visions Toronto needs right now. I think that it also might do quite a bit to spur civic pride and, I hope, civic identity building. It also has the infrastructure and population to host an Olympics and make good use of any Olympic legacy structures for years to come.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 1:21 AM

Québec is perfect for that. We're just too poor to own the games.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 1:22 AM
Hammer'd

I'm going to say hopefully not anywhere in Ontario, seeing how much we've already screwed up the whole Pan-Am thing, especially here in Hamilton. That one alone is going to be hurting us financially for years to come.

If it were somehow financially possible, I'd love to see it in the maritimes somewhere but Alberta would be nice for either the summer or winter as well. I think Calgary is a top contender for sure.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 1:29 AM

It looks like the IOC is scrolling pretty far down the depth chart when its picking Winter Olympic cities, and I think its about time that we started to see repeat events in major winter sports cities. If nothing else that will save the enormous (ridiculous) infrastructure costs associated with hosting a games. (ie, if you look up the countries that maintain world-cup calibre bobsled tracks it is a very short list indeed)

That said, I think Toronto is going to be the next one (whenever that is). If its soon enough, there may be a chance to leverage some of the Pan-Am infra, and if there's a serious stab at the 2026 WC then there will certainly be a few shiny new stadia around the country and GTA.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
Québec is perfect for that. We're just too poor to own the games.
I think Quebec would be a great city for the winter Olympics, but the main barrier is that Le Massif was rejected as it was a just a little bit too short to qualify as a mountain for the winter Olympics. Since they won't accept Le Massif, it's hard to think of a mountain that would make this work, but otherwise I agree that Ville Quebec would be a great location. There's also, of course, the provincial fiscal situation that needs to be sorted out before entertaining the idea of such a lavish expenditure. If things could get back on track, though, I think Quebec could handle things well, it seem like a very well managed and sensible city.

Last edited by BIMBAM; Oct 2, 2014 at 1:59 AM.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I think Quebec would be a great city for the winter Olympics, but the main barrier is that Le Massif was rejected as it was a just a little bit too short to qualify as a mountain for the winter Olympics. Since they won't accept Le Massif, it's hard to think of a mountain that would make this work, but otherwise I agree that Ville Quebec would be a great location. There's also, of course, the provincial fiscal situation that needs to be sorted out before entertaining the ideabof such a lavish expenditure. If things could get back on track, though, I think Quebec could handle things well, it seem like a very well managed and sensible city.
Totally agree !

You're very well informed !

Are the mountains near Montreal viable for a Winter Olympics?

Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIce View Post
It looks like the IOC is scrolling pretty far down the depth chart when its picking Winter Olympic cities, and I think its about time that we started to see repeat events in major winter sports cities. If nothing else that will save the enormous (ridiculous) infrastructure costs associated with hosting a games. (ie, if you look up the countries that maintain world-cup calibre bobsled tracks it is a very short list indeed)

That said, I think Toronto is going to be the next one (whenever that is). If its soon enough, there may be a chance to leverage some of the Pan-Am infra, and if there's a serious stab at the 2026 WC then there will certainly be a few shiny new stadia around the country and GTA.
I wouldn't be surprised if Quebec City and the IOC worked out the skiing issue (event somewhere else or something) and Quebec City hosted a Winter games in 2026 or so (the semi-rotation would lean back to NA then anyway).

edit: Quebec seemed to be a popular response over the last few minutes...

I would think it's only a matter of time until Calgary gets a second Winter Olympics. I hope we get a Saddledome replacement well before then but if we were to bid for the games, it'd be a definite requirement to get a new rink as part of that bid and hopefully with this rumoured "entertainment district" with a new McMahon replacement as well, that would suffice for the opening and closing ceremonies

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 1:40 AM

Edit.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 1:40 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
I think the closest suitable Mountain would be in the states. Lake Placid?

Anyone?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 1:41 AM

Quote:

Not sure, I don't see anything around Montreal
Now, they could go to Vermont, though, a bit too far.
And I'm not sure if Mont-Tremblant (968m) is high enough.... ( and 1h drive from downtown)

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 1:46 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Would love to see Ottawa get the Winter but not sure if there is a tall enough mountain within range. Montreal would be a good winter host as well. Not sure we should bother with the summer games since it is very big and expensive and we have a low medal count so it's bad for our image.

Third choice would be QC for the winter.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 1:59 AM

Hopefully none.

They are a huge waste of taxpayers funds, few citizens can afford the tickets, always go well over budget due to "unforeseen expenses", and they never deliver the tourists that they are suppose to.

The people who want them are always the same.........real estate agents and developers who buy and flip properties {ie Vancouver} and politicians who salivate at the prospect of a nice juicy ribbon cutting.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
Not sure, I don't see anything around Montreal
Now, they could go to Vermont, though, a bit too far.
And I'm not sure if Mont-Tremblant (968m) is high enough.... ( and 1h drive from downtown)
I see Mont-Tremblant's vertical as 645m, but I don't think it really matters. Wouldn't Mont-Tremblant already have courses marked out for these international events (for lesser national and international tournaments, qualifying, etc)?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Hopefully none.

They are a huge waste of taxpayers funds, few citizens can afford the tickets, always go well over budget due to "unforeseen expenses", and they never deliver the tourists that they are suppose to.

The people who want them are always the same.........real estate agents and developers who buy and flip properties {ie Vancouver} and politicians who salivate at the prospect of a nice juicy ribbon cutting.
X2. Unless something major changes in how the Olympics are staged, I'd have a hard time getting behind a Canadian bid.

Nice to see all the 2022 candidate cities dropping their bids. Hopefully it is a wake-up call to the IOC and world in general

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I think the next Olympics should be a summer Olympics in Toronto. Toronto is growing into a wonderful city, but this is a relatively new phenomenon and most people's ideas about any place they're fairly unfamiliar with are outdated by at least a decade. The Olympics would do amazing things to showcase Toronto to the world, and it'd be the kind of event that would spur the real intelligent city building and visions Toronto needs right now. I think that it also might do quite a bit to spur civic pride and, I hope, civic identity building. It also has the infrastructure and population to host an Olympics and make good use of any Olympic legacy structures for years to come.
You could say the same thing about Calgary or Vancouver... but they already hosted the Olympics.

Seriously though, I think it almost has to be a Toronto summer Olympics, probably in the 2030s.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Hopefully none.

The key is letting volunteers do everything. Like Calgary '88!

Oh, and don't spend money on anything that won't be a major asset when the games are done.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 2:57 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

What's happening at SSP, there was a time when a thread like this would be a guaranteed flame war. Everything's so...civil...nowadays. Did all the trolls get banned all of a sudden or something?? lol

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada