HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 7:31 PM

Proposal at Corso Italia (Gladstone) station, a new infill station along Line 2 Trillium, between Bayview and Dow's Lake (Carling).

Two tallest towers will be taller and as tall as the longtime tallest record holder in Ottawa, Place de Ville C (1971-2018).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
CLV Group Developments Inc. on behalf of TIP Gladstone LP has resubmitted this proposal for 951 Gladstone Avenue and 145 Loretta Avenue.

The proposed development consists of two (2) related components. The first is along Gladstone Avenue and contains retail, residential, and office components, anchored by the retained and restored Standard Bread Building on the east side, and a five (5) storey podium along the street. The podium uses a mix of red brick and concrete together on the first four floors before stepping back at the fifth storey. Black panels clad the fifth floor and articulate the lower floors of the podium to create visual interest and to reflect the industrial character of the surrounding area.

An internal pedestrian street provides access through the retail and office podium from Gladstone Avenue to the north end of the site and the other residential towers. Retail uses will animate this internal street that will act as an important pedestrian access into the site.

Above the retail and office podium is the tallest of the proposed residential towers at 35 storeys. The tower is set 4.78 metres back above the podium below along Gladstone, and approximately 20 metres from Loretta Avenue North. An enclosed rooftop amenity space is proposed to be integrated with the mechanical penthouse of the building also providing access to exterior amenity space on the rooftop. The mechanical systems on the rooftop are integrated into the building design.

The second component of the project is along Loretta Avenue North, and includes two additional residential towers focused on a central green space and drop-off court. The character of this area is significantly more residential in nature, with building and unit entrances, and common amenity spaces animating the space. Residential Tower 2 is located centrally on the site, abutting the rail corridor and features a five (5) storey base. The building has a total height of 33 storeys. Finally, Residential Tower 3 is located at the north end of the site and features a four (4) storey podium. Tower 3 has a total height of 30 storeys. Tower 3 also includes a rooftop enclosed amenity area for residents that is integrated with the mechanical penthouse.

Two Privately Owned Public Spaces (POPS) are proposed on the site. The first is located along Loretta Avenue North and has an area of 375 square metres. The second POPS has an area of 444 square metres and is located between Towers 2 and 3 and has an area of approximately 444 square metres, providing access between Loretta Avenue North and the multi-use pathway along the west side of the Trillium Line corridor. Both spaces provide tree planting areas and reflect the urban nature of the site.

A total of 846 residential dwelling units are proposed within all three (3) residential buildings including a range of bachelor, one-, two-, and three-bedroom units. Together with the residential, approximately 1,600 square metres of retail space and 16,450 square metres of office space are proposed.
A total of 570 parking spaces are proposed to serve the proposed development including 14 surface parking spaces in the central courtyard and 534 spaces within the two (2) storey underground parking garage. Access to the parking garage is proposed from two locations on Loretta Avenue. Given the proximity to rapid transit service, there are no minimum parking requirements for development on the subject property. A minimum of 30 visitor parking spaces is required.

A total of 502 bicycle parking spaces are provided within the development which includes 80 spaces for retail and office uses. The majority of the bike parking spaces will be provided within the underground garage, with some spaces provided at-grade for retail and office users, and for residential visitors.
The project will be developed in two phases, with the retail component, restoration of Standard Bread Building, and Residential Towers 1 and 2 being built in Phase 1. Tower 3 will be developed as part of Phase 2. The parking garage is anticipated to be constructed entirely within Phase 1.

Architect: Hobin Architecture

Development application:
https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...1-0053/details

Siteplan:

Renderings:

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/2nT8YDy.pngv

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 7:32 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Back to proposals, Concord has purchased YSL and has sent letters to all unit owners to let them know they are now developing the project. Workers were back on site but it just have been to drain the pond that formed after a pipe burst. they are speculating a completion date now of some time in 2026. Maybe in will grow in height by 1.01m so Concord can have it's first supertal.

Address 383 Yonge St, Toronto, Ontario
Category Condo, Office, Rental, Residential, Retail
Status Under Construction
Number of Buildings 1
Height 981 ft / 298.99 m
Storeys 85
Number of Units 1106
source:urbantoronto.ca
Sounds like good news to me

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 11:35 PM
Midtowner since 2K

There's elements to this project in Ottawa I like....the density is good, the different uses are nice, but as it tends to at times with certain developers....the architecture is a bit messy. Still, the retention of the existing heritage building looks great and intensifying an area next to a new infill station is good all around.

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 3:57 AM

So much parking in that Ottawa proposal considering it's close to downtown and by transit and a bike path by the looks of it. They're bike parking is roughly .5 bike space per unit which is crazy since many if not most units have more that one person in them and often people will have more than one bike.

I like the density and infill is good though.

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 4:42 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That is slick. But that little notch bugs me for some reason.
Yeah, it does seem really out of place. Kind of lonely looking.

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 6:57 AM
ARTchitecture

I don’t mind the latest Ottawa proposal other than the car-orientedness of it. It’s near a station, and has a heritage component... why are there several surface parking spots and a car pull-through crescent thing?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 1:27 PM

I don't like the red. Other than that I think this is a good proposal for Ottawa. Adding some more height.

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I don’t mind the latest Ottawa proposal other than the car-orientedness of it. It’s near a station, and has a heritage component... why are there several surface parking spots and a car pull-through crescent thing?
I don't get that either. It's basically a strip mall along Loretta. They seem to believe it will make some kind of internal street that will draw pedestrians in, but these things never work out. If they had access to the south end of the train station, that would be something; pedestrians would walk through the block.

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
There's elements to this project in Ottawa I like....the density is good, the different uses are nice, but as it tends to at times with certain developers....the architecture is a bit messy. Still, the retention of the existing heritage building looks great and intensifying an area next to a new infill station is good all around.
I agree the architecture is a bit disjointed. The architecture firm is Hobin from Ottawa. They generally do good quality work, but recently they've been spitting out very similar designs over and over again. Certainly not the same caliber as what is common in Canada's other big cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggerino View Post
So much parking in that Ottawa proposal considering it's close to downtown and by transit and a bike path by the looks of it. They're bike parking is roughly .5 bike space per unit which is crazy since many if not most units have more that one person in them and often people will have more than one bike.

I like the density and infill is good though.
Agreed. City of Ottawa rules on parking need to change. Bike storage in this type of area, IMO, should at least be two for every unit. Parking shouldn't be more than .5 per unit. We need to push for more car sharing (talking Communauto or Modo, not Uber or Lyft).

Quote:
The main faces of the proposal are along Gladstone and the MUP that follows the Trillium Line. The parking/loop on Loretta faces the side of long standing printing company (Canadian Bank Note), so that street may never be complete. With such a big complex, there is value of having that drop-off and short term parking for curbside pick-up, deliveries, taxis, Uber, Uber Eats, motility impaired residents who may need a ride... Considering its location and orientation, I don't mind it.

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 6:20 PM
ARTchitecture

Pretty simple little TOD building at Calgary's Westbrook subway station. Lots of proposals in that area recently.

No parking in this one, just fully transit and active transit oriented it seems.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 8:56 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
Three sister towers sharing a common super block podium surrounding a U shaped driveway. It's bland in every regard. It overpowers the heritage retention as usual.

Lower the podium to a complimentary scale. Make one tower brick, one tower concrete and, one tower glass each on their own separate base structure.

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 11:57 PM

Some news from Laval.
Projects have recently improved in quality (see Central Parc, IVVI and Espace Montmorency for example), but we're not quite there yet.
A 25-storey tower was announced as the sixth phase of an ongoing tower-in-the-park project. Right now, VIVA consists of five uninteresting towers located next to Centropolis and Carrefour Laval.
Looks like the sixth tower, called SUMUM, will look a bit more appealing, but it will be built at the core of the whole project, so nothing good regarding interaction at street level for that one.
Here's the website for the whole project. They also posted a launch video for SUMUM on their Facebook page.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Pretty simple little TOD building at Calgary's Westbrook subway station. Lots of proposals in that area recently.

No parking in this one, just fully transit and active transit oriented it seems.
I love it since it follows my personal motto, keep it simple stupid. Architecturally, I don't really know as that's not totally my thing but having no parking makes it good in my book.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:46 AM

Representation from Laval. Don't remember seeing that since the Bell Arena.

Towers are pretty nice. The site plan/ground level is absolutely terrible. 70s "towers in a parking lot" at its worse.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:46 PM

that putting green in hilarious

The taller tower is nice. Simple and sleek.. The other 7 smaller buildings are too repetitious. Not a fan.. I can take one or two at best.. but 7 of the exact design not a good idea. Nevertheless this is decent density around Carrefour Laval.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:15 PM
Fake News

Quote:

Is this going on one of the lots beside the mall? What are the other proposals? That area has been stagnant for years.

https://clockzillakingoflaval.tumblr.com

Old Posted Today, 12:50 AM
ARTchitecture

You're gonna have to check skyrise more Truman bought up basically all of the east side of 33rd across from the station. Plus the new indigenous centre and affordable housing development to the north. The station lands themselves are owned by Matco, they're the ones dragging their heels.

This one is by 7S though, and is located at 1408 33rd St SW.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada