HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 7:41 PM
-

For those interested in Elmwood Shopping I heard the plans are to tear down the old KMart and some neighboring properties to building a high end restaurant lounge like area with a main street.. no other details but seems like an interesting idea

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 10:16 PM
-

a couple neat angled pics of the airport:

Some of the new food vendors.. i do know chik fil a has been added

Last edited by tennis1400; Apr 25, 2018 at 10:34 PM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
a couple neat angled pics of the airport:

Some of the new food vendors.. i do know chik fil a has been added

Did anyone attend the event tonight at the airport? I believe many of the restaurants/stores had renderings on display. If anyone snapped some pics, please share!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 2:58 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyinnola View Post
Did anyone attend the event tonight at the airport? I believe many of the restaurants/stores had renderings on display. If anyone snapped some pics, please share!
Didn’t know about this event ... darn

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 8:39 AM

The current owner of Smoothie King has been wanting to move the company to Dallas since he bought it in 2012 from the founder. He simply opted to take some easy money from the state for a few years. The 13th floor of One Lakeway will be available this Summer if anyone is interested.

Also, the iMerit office will be in 1515 Poydras. Looks like they have leased around 11,000 square feet (half a floor) to start. Sounds about right for 100 employees.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
The current owner of Smoothie King has been wanting to move the company to Dallas since he bought it in 2012 from the founder. He simply opted to take some easy money from the state for a few years. The 13th floor of One Lakeway will be available this Summer if anyone is interested.

Also, the iMerit office will be in 1515 Poydras. Looks like they have leased around 11,000 square feet (half a floor) to start. Sounds about right for 100 employees.
1 step forward, 1.5 steps back.

I remember in previous conversations about incentives/do they stay or go that the unusual thing Kim kept mentioning was Dallas's direct flight to Korea. No one would mention this unless it's a huge factor. It's just not worthy of mention unless it's that important to him at a personal level.

Considering he's from Korea and apparently tries to go back once a month, it doesn't surprise me that direct flights are what pushed him over the edge. He probably never cared for the New Orleans lifestyle to boot so Dallas's convenience and "run with the big dogs" appeal to franchisee corporations made too much sense. It's what you're told to think you should do -- move the company to Dallas.

Ultimately it's a few jobs that paid well, but more importantly another homegrown company left town and will slowly eliminate its presence minus the arena name. Now that name just looks tasteless.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 2:06 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderOz View Post

I remember in previous conversations about incentives/do they stay or go that the unusual thing Kim kept mentioning was Dallas's direct flight to Korea. No one would mention this unless it's a huge factor. It's just not worthy of mention unless it's that important to him at a personal level.

Considering he's from Korea and apparently tries to go back once a month, it doesn't surprise me that direct flights are what pushed him over the edge. He probably never cared for the New Orleans lifestyle to boot so Dallas's convenience and "run with the big dogs" appeal to franchisee corporations made too much sense. It's what you're told to think you should do -- move the company to Dallas.

Ultimately it's a few jobs that paid well, but more importantly another homegrown company left town and will slowly eliminate its presence minus the arena name. Now that name just looks tasteless.
well i prefer 100 jobs to the 60 .. but to perfectly honest dallas has become a food franchise mecca.. even raising canes has most of their staff in Dallas now... its just not an area we can directly compete in so focus where you can... but yeah i dont care if the smoothie king center is called something else.. fine by me.. its just a namebrand and those get replaced all the time and would prefer something local to be honest

anyways on to something else! was anyone able to go to that airport event?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
For those interested in Elmwood Shopping I heard the plans are to tear down the old KMart and some neighboring properties to building a high end restaurant lounge like area with a main street.. no other details but seems like an interesting idea
As strip mall/big box retail declines, I think there is a lot of opportunity to remake Elmwood into a more walkable mixed-use area. Something like a mini-South Market or River Ranch in Lafayette. Between the Ochsner campus, government office buildings, and Tulane's Elmwood campus, you have a good job base to support residential.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 4:05 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
As strip mall/big box retail declines, I think there is a lot of opportunity to remake Elmwood into a more walkable mixed-use area. Something like a mini-South Market or River Ranch in Lafayette. Between the Ochsner campus, government office buildings, and Tulane's Elmwood campus, you have a good job base to support residential.
I Agree its definitely the wave of the future .. to at least mix this sort of thing in

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 4:05 PM

Quote:

One of the other things he mentioned was talent. It is much easier to hire middle and upper managers with lots of corporate experience in Dallas. It's not just fast food. It's the entire spectrum of talent that comes from the large Fortune 1000/500 presence in Dallas. Toyota just moved its NA headquarters to the same area.

New Orleans isn't on that level. It isn't even on the level of Nashville or Austin. It's more like Birmingham, but with a much stronger cultural identity.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO-ATL View Post
One of the other things he mentioned was talent. It is much easier to hire middle and upper managers with lots of corporate experience in Dallas. It's not just fast food. It's the entire spectrum of talent that comes from the large Fortune 1000/500 presence in Dallas. Toyota just moved its NA headquarters to the same area.

New Orleans isn't on that level. It isn't even on the level of Nashville or Austin. It's more like Birmingham, but with a much stronger cultural identity.
Considering they have around 65-70 people in the entire corporate office, having only hired 20 or so since the last incentives in 2014, I don't think it's talent like he says. Maybe it's people with food franchise experience, but this wasn't a company hiring more than a handful of people per year, and I doubt they'll grow the corporate office at any higher of pace now.

I get the feeling the decision came to 1. direct flights to Korea 2. being around other HQs of franchise corporations (whether that's for appearances or real benefits) 3. living that suburban Dallas high life of country clubs and McMansions. Just my 2 cents.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 4:46 PM
-

Canopy of Peace

First leg is starting to go vertical!!!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Considering they have around 65-70 people in the entire corporate office, having only hired 20 or so since the last incentives in 2014, I don't think it's talent like he says. Maybe it's people with food franchise experience, but this wasn't a company hiring more than a handful of people per year, and I doubt they'll grow the corporate office at any higher of pace now.

I get the feeling the decision came to 1. direct flights to Korea 2. being around other HQs of franchise corporations (whether that's for appearances or real benefits) 3. living that suburban Dallas high life of country clubs and McMansions. Just my 2 cents.
I agree with your take on this. It's a franchise-based company, so corporate will never be a huge number of employees, and they're not doing much hiring. There are tons of Smoothie King franchises in Korea though, so from a business standpoint they need to be able to quickly access those.

I take the smallest bit of comfort in knowing that we're at least setting ourselves up for access not to be an excuse in the future. Once the new airport is online it makes it easier for new routes to start should the need arise in the future.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 10:14 PM

If I remember, Smoothie King bought the arena naming rights through 2024. I don't know if that locks them in, or locks the arena in if they want a change.
Even though it's not a huge loss, it's too bad that a homegrown company moves. I remember the first place opening in Metairie.

I'm especially excited about the new chemical plant upriver. Even though it's probably about 50 miles away, it's impact on NO will be important. Lots of highly-paid engineers and workers will be needed, and many of them will live and buy things in NO.

On a fun note, I saw the New Orleans premiere of the movie "Jaws" at the Loew's State. Canal Street was wall-to-wall people outside the theater. I think to compete, it may need to specialize with a hotel - entertainment type of setup.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 11:07 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by York1 View Post
If I remember, Smoothie King bought the arena naming rights through 2024. I don't know if that locks them in, or locks the arena in if they want a change.
Even though it's not a huge loss, it's too bad that a homegrown company moves. I remember the first place opening in Metairie.

I'm especially excited about the new chemical plant upriver. Even though it's probably about 50 miles away, it's impact on NO will be important. Lots of highly-paid engineers and workers will be needed, and many of them will live and buy things in NO.

On a fun note, I saw the New Orleans premiere of the movie "Jaws" at the Loew's State. Canal Street was wall-to-wall people outside the theater. I think to compete, it may need to specialize with a hotel - entertainment type of setup.
My father is on one of port commissions there’s easily about 50 billion in investments for plants and manufacturing from plaque mines to Baton Rouge , more everyday

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 11:44 PM
-

So i was looking closely at the canopy legs ... thats pretty amazing this thing will support itself... im assuming none of the actual canopy can go up until all legs are fully assembled

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 3:28 AM

Best of New Orleans includes renderings of the airport vendors in this slideshow.

https://www.bestofneworleans.com/gam...eshow/12270939

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 6:55 PM
-

Pictures from today

Residence Inn Crane

Canal Crossing:

The Odeon:

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 6:58 PM
-

The Standard:

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 7:07 PM
-

700 Baronne:

The Higgins Hotel:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations