HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 8:13 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I drove by the Three Sisters today, and I have the definite impression they are going to carry on building the three storey podium for the second sister. This of course doesn't mean they are going to start work on the second tower in the short term, but it does mean that significant construction will carry on into the fall and winter.

Also, I am very impressed how much stone and brickwork they have already done, and they are also installing windows on the lower levels of the first sister as well. Presumably they plan to make as much of the first tower weatherproof as possible to facilitate ongoing interior construction this winter.

The manager of this construction project deserves a large bonus. The speed and organization is very impressive.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I drove by the Three Sisters today, and I have the definite impression they are going to carry on building the three storey podium for the second sister. This of course doesn't mean they are going to start work on the second tower in the short term, but it does mean that significant construction will carry on into the fall and winter.

Also, I am very impressed how much stone and brickwork they have already done, and they are also installing windows on the lower levels of the first sister as well. Presumably they plan to make as much of the first tower weatherproof as possible to facilitate ongoing interior construction this winter.

The manager of this construction project deserves a large bonus. The speed and organization is very impressive.
It was always the plan to build about two thirds of the podium in the first phase according to the plan presented to PAC last year. https://imgur.com/vCnWWm9

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 3:25 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

In celebration of the topping off of the first sister at 15 storeys, I took a few pictures today showing how this project is changing the city's skyline:

Now, imagine the changes in the neighbourhood when all three towers are built, as well as the other residential high-rises that will be built on the Ashford lands. People who have not been back in Moncton for 25 years or so would be absolutely astounded in 10 years time.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 6:15 AM

Did anyone else notice that in the third photo of MonctonRads post, there is a section of window framing that is completely different from the rest of the building. They have different shapes to them, some rounded and others coming to a point.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
Did anyone else notice that in the third photo of MonctonRads post, there is a section of window framing that is completely different from the rest of the building. They have different shapes to them, some rounded and others coming to a point.
Looks like they're trying to add some variation to the street wall. Good!

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 2:47 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Looks like they're trying to add some variation to the street wall. Good!
I agree. It looks like they are creating a lot of visual interest in the podium. Good for them. It is a thoughtful touch.

The street front facade also contains a number of jogs and jags, and it seems like they are trying to create the illusion of a series of contiguous but discrete storefronts, similar to what you would see on any downtown Canadian street. This is much, much preferable to a long continuous drab curtain wall. My hopes for this project keep going up and up. They seems to be going the extra mile to create a signature property.

Hopefully the quality of this development will stimulate additional development in the surrounding neighbourhood.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 3:32 PM

I was just looking at the conceptual or PAC drawing from May 2021.

I see a "outdoor amenity" over floor 1 of the pedestal building, between tower 1 and 2..

I can't help but think there's an opportunity to go further with this, and have the ENTIRE rooftop of the pedestal portions be some sort of usable space.

You see that kinda thing on the roof of the Rideau mall in Ottawa.. park space with trees and benches and so on.

Just seems like it'll be a wasted space and also look unappealing if you looked out your condo window down at a gravel (or worse, tar paper?!) roof top.

Further to this.. having a green space occupy this roof area would help keep the area a cooler temperature and healthy.

I just think this is potentially an astronomically huge missed opportunity if it's not part of their plan

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 3:47 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

A valid point, but it may already be too late. A rooftop garden with trees can be quite expensive to build and maintain. All that soil can be quite heavy (not to mention the trees), and this could be an issue for load bearing members.

Then there is the issue of water intrusion from the irrigation/sprinkler systems and roots finding their ways to places they were not meant to go.

It of course can be done, but it requires planning and expense.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 4:21 PM

Quote:

A valid point, but it may already be too late. A rooftop garden with trees can be quite expensive to build and maintain. All that soil can be quite heavy (not to mention the trees), and this could be an issue for load bearing members.

Then there is the issue of water intrusion from the irrigation/sprinkler systems and roots finding their ways to places they were not meant to go.

It of course can be done, but it requires planning and expense.
I remember when the Hyatt Place hotel was being built there was a similar discussion about having a terrace on that roof area at the front. It wasn't in the plans, and it never happened. As great an amenity as these terraces can be, the expense of doing it right likely prohibits building them. Would be nice though.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2022, 2:47 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

From the CCD Canada website:

Quote:
TOWER 2, MONCTON

CCD Ref. Number : NB163326-21-06

Stage : 4-Drawing

Published : June 17, 2021

Last updated : August 4, 2022

Starting Date (estimated) : Not available

Size : ($19,600,000)

Work type : New construction

Sector : Private

Category : 4-Residential

Subcategories : 4B-Residential Development

Disciplines : ARCH, CIV, ELEC, EQUI, HVAC, MEC-B, STRUC, OTHER*

MONCTON (NB)
(Moncton - Richibucto)

Description :
NEW MIXED-USE RESIDENTIAL BUILDING -
Located in Moncton, 20 rue Record St., this project (Tower 2) estimated at $19 600 000 is in the drawings stage. It is slated to be completed in August 2025. Works concern the construction of a mixed-use building, 15 storeys in height, with residential, retail and office space, and underground parking.

- Initiator: INFORMATION AVAILABLE TO SUBSCRIBERS
This construction card was updated as of August 4th, indicating a clear intent to proceed with construction of the second sister, with an intended construction completion date of August 2025 (which is on schedule).

As soon as tower one is complete, they will start construction of tower two.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2022, 3:43 AM

A bit off topic for this thread and can be moved, but does anyone know what the “commercial building B” might be? It’s on the side of the CCD page in the top 50

Old Posted Sep 3, 2022, 3:48 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
A bit off topic for this thread and can be moved, but does anyone know what the “commercial building B” might be? It’s on the side of the CCD page in the top 50
I do know. It refers to the new A&W to be built in the Sobeys plaza on Elmwood Drive.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 12:04 PM

Quote:

From the beginning i always thought there was a larger than normal gap between the crane and tower. Looking at the overhead pics the crane seems to have been deliberately positioned to reach and build the first two towers. Wouldn’t be cheap to construct a new pad to move the crane a hundred feet. My guess is it will take the rest of the year to finish phase one podium and from there they will go on to the next tower early spring.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 12:35 PM

While moving a tower crane isn't difficult, I suspect they would prefer not to have to move it any more than necessary.

The apartments on Rookwood here in Fredericton are a case in point for that. Right about now I be they are wishing they could have found a spot on the site they could have put the crane where it could handle both buildings at once.

Because they took the crane down from the first building about 3-4 weeks ago, and something seems to have gone wrong because they haven't put it up on the second building yet. It's been laying on the ground next to the second building for a few weeks now absolutely in the way as they are trying to pour the rest of the foundation and the first floor. (but they may be close to finally putting it up). Had they been able to use a common spot for both buildings, they wouldn't have had this obstruction.... of course the only common spot would have been in the middle of the traffic flow for the site so that wouldn't really have worked either.

Since Three Sisters does have the common podium, that does open them up to having a more viable crane location for maximizing the overall build while minimizing interference with traffic flow on the site.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam63 View Post
From the beginning i always thought there was a larger than normal gap between the crane and tower. Looking at the overhead pics the crane seems to have been deliberately positioned to reach and build the first two towers. Wouldn’t be cheap to construct a new pad to move the crane a hundred feet. My guess is it will take the rest of the year to finish phase one podium and from there they will go on to the next tower early spring.
My guess has always been that they are going to quickly proceed to the second tower. The concrete work for the foundation has already been completed and I wouldn't be surprised to see them start working on it. The original plan was always a few years out from now - but I feel they are set up to be flexible depending on the market.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyyy View Post
My guess has always been that they are going to quickly proceed to the second tower. The concrete work for the foundation has already been completed and I wouldn't be surprised to see them start working on it. The original plan was always a few years out from now - but I feel they are set up to be flexible depending on the market.
I think they learned how strong the market is when they opened up the pre leasing for the first tower. I can see where this type of product would be very popular. I agree that they'll proceed with the 2nd tower sooner rather than later.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 7:55 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Neat aerial shot of the First Sister, with the east end of downtown in the background:

Source: https://www.facebook.com/infinityaerials.ca

Now, imagine this perspective in about 10 years time with the 2nd & 3rd Sisters complete, and, significant progress also made on the Ashford lands with another 2-3 towers already built over there, by Downing Street. Moncton will be well on its way.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2022, 11:15 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Little snippet from Mayor Arnold's synopsis of Moncton city council business:

Quote:
We then approved the Downtown Financial Incentive Program for Phase 2 of the “three sisters” at 33 Foundry
Further evidence that "phase 2" is a definite go.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 12:23 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Article in the T&T regarding the Three Sisters project, and the topping off of the first tower:

https://tj.news/times-and-transcript/101969849 (paywall).

In the article, John Lafford confirms that he has purchased the old Worker's Co-op Garage and the Northumberland milk distribution building across the street on the south side of Assumption Blvd. He says plans for this property are "in the works."

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Little snippet from Mayor Arnold's synopsis of Moncton city council business:

Further evidence that "phase 2" is a definite go.
I noticed driving by today that construction has already started on tower 2. They are wasting no time!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces