HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
What are the chances of the schuylkill becoming a dockside with boats & restaurants?

Can boats even access this area? Is it deep enough?

Or is it only for rowboats & ducks?

Imagine this side of the city having boat traffic & people. However we do have the Delaware riverfront for that eh.
Like what kind of boats are you talking about? If you are talking about small personal boats, you will see plenty out their when the weather is nice.

You can take a tour down the river at night.

https://www.phillybyboat.com/cruises...s-city-lights/

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 3:01 PM

The waterworks fairmount dam is a buzzkill in that it cuts off a boat trip that could include more natural scenery within Fairmount Park.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 3:56 PM

The fact that 76 and the train tracks flank the schuykill makes it pretty tough.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 5:38 PM

I will say that the river up to the dam isn't too astetically pleasing with the industrial,, and bridges and such..

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 6:51 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
Like what kind of boats are you talking about? If you are talking about small personal boats, you will see plenty out their when the weather is nice.

You can take a tour down the river at night.

https://www.phillybyboat.com/cruises...s-city-lights/
Im thinking small sailboats and Yachts.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 6:52 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova08 View Post
The waterworks fairmount dam is a buzzkill in that it cuts off a boat trip that could include more natural scenery within Fairmount Park.
Thats another issue. I wonder if that could be fixed so boats can pass through and that little Island in the middle can be turned into a Roosevelt Island type of thing like in NY.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
“Plenty” is a bit of a stretch - especially compared to cities that have active boating rivers where there’s a ton of energy. Sure you’ll see a jet-ski or two if you’re out picnicking for 3 hours... I live about 3 blocks from where your photos were taken and am nearby almost daily and there’s really no boating culture to speak of.

I also disagree that it’s not aesthetically pleasing - it’s really transforming nicely with all of the skyscrapers that are now flanking the river and it’s only getting better. A mini-Chicago River is def in the works.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2021, 2:57 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
“Plenty” is a bit of a stretch - especially compared to cities that have active boating rivers where there’s a ton of energy. Sure you’ll see a jet-ski or two if you’re out picnicking for 3 hours... I live about 3 blocks from where your photos were taken and am nearby almost daily and there’s really no boating culture to speak of.

I also disagree that it’s not aesthetically pleasing - it’s really transforming nicely with all of the skyscrapers that are now flanking the river and it’s only getting better. A mini-Chicago River is def in the works.
Exactly the vibe im getting from it now, maybe food vendors or food trucks or makeshift shops can post up around grassy areas of the trail bringing a nice riverfront scene to this side.

A little remodeling of the area and we are good to go.

Imagine a bar with sand & tiki torches we can use the best Jersey sand we can find.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Exactly the vibe im getting from it now, maybe food vendors or food trucks or makeshift shops can post up around grassy areas of the trail bringing a nice riverfront scene to this side.

A little remodeling of the area and we are good to go.

Imagine a bar with sand & tiki torches we can use the best Jersey sand we can find.
The grassy areas in warmer months are packed with people so i wouldn’t necessarily sacrifice that. They do a decent job with programming like outdoor movies, yoga, and parks on tap.

But the vibe I get from the board of the SRP is that their sole focus is on expanding the river trail, not improving on what currently exists. I tend to think that’s a mistake in priorities frankly. The only semi-permanent structure on the actual trail is the bathroom head house at walnut street that is almost never open. The staff operates out of ugly portable trailers and there’s not a single permanent amenity outside of a water fountain.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 4:04 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
The grassy areas in warmer months are packed with people so i wouldn’t necessarily sacrifice that. They do a decent job with programming like outdoor movies, yoga, and parks on tap.

But the vibe I get from the board of the SRP is that their sole focus is on expanding the river trail, not improving on what currently exists. I tend to think that’s a mistake in priorities frankly. The only semi-permanent structure on the actual trail is the bathroom head house at walnut street that is almost never open. The staff operates out of ugly portable trailers and there’s not a single permanent amenity outside of a water fountain.
Good god why is every organization in philly ran poorly? We might as well let the Mafia run things again at least they get stuff done

Ie:NYC, South Philly & Chicago

Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Good god why is every organization in philly ran poorly? We might as well let the Mafia run things again at least they get stuff done

Ie:NYC, South Philly & Chicago
In fairness, it’s pretty well run - priorities mean different things to different people. To me, I think they should make what they have amazing, and then additional funding becomes easier due to a critical mass.

But I will say, for whatever reason, Philly orgs seem to be terrible at grassroots capital fundraising. If the Haas Family doesn’t donate $$mmillion to a pocket park that a n’hood group wants to build - then, welp, better luck next year. Some of it takes manpower, but a lot of it is just initiative and know-how.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 10:29 PM
Chris

Quote:
In fairness, it’s pretty well run - priorities mean different things to different people. To me, I think they should make what they have amazing, and then additional funding becomes easier due to a critical mass.

But I will say, for whatever reason, Philly orgs seem to be terrible at grassroots capital fundraising. If the Haas Family doesn’t donate $$mmillion to a pocket park that a n’hood group wants to build - then, welp, better luck next year. Some of it takes manpower, but a lot of it is just initiative and know-how.
There needs to be a better or new push to get the areas wealthy companies, institutions and residents to chip in for new / improved parks, maintenance, etc. That movement has a big presence in New York, AND having deep pocketed (non city) entities financially involved will ensure things get done in a more organized and streamlined manner.

There's no shortage of private money in the city and region, just not much motivation.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2021, 6:00 PM

Giant CEO on new flagship Center City store: 'The culmination of everything we dreamed'

Article behind paywall below, but you can see some nice photos of the new store:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...riverwalk.html

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 1:25 AM

The terrace on top of the Giant looks great... here's an aerial from February, and a video link from earlier today.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLNZHTbDEfv/

Video, PhillyChitChat:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CMpiosVhrJA/

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 1:10 PM

This building is probably the best we've seen from PMC. More likely than not, dumb luck.

But I'll take it.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
This building is probably the best we've seen from PMC. More likely than not, dumb luck.

But I'll take it.
Hiring Gensler for the architectural design was their best decision.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 2:59 PM
Chris

The new Giant is awesome by the way. A new level of grocery store quality in Philadelphia. It also majorly enlivens that stretch of Center City.

Hope to see more of this in future projects. This on Spring Garden Street would be amazing.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 5:46 PM

Article on the Giant grand opening:
https://billypenn.com/2021/03/19/gia...eid=e92c831b61

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 11:12 PM

The Giant looks great, took a walk through, I think I like it better than the Whole Foods up the street (in the Dalian). Just as nice--so much cheaper. Also, the TJ's was noticeably less insane--usually mid-day on Sunday, the car line to get into the parking lot would be down 22nd Street approaching Market. Today... you could actually find a parking spot.

Glass going up now on the South Tower:

Looking up Arch Street:

Terrace:

---

To PHLtoNYC's comment above, there will be grocer in the new building at Broad and Spring Garden being built by Alterra (the one we all pan). I think it's going to be a Sprouts (Alterra-Sprouts-Broad and Washington connection).

Last edited by Jawnadelphia; Mar 22, 2021 at 12:28 AM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 12:08 AM

This building is super sharp looking. Very happy with how it turned out.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive