HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 9:37 AM
if I sang out of tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
No offense, but this is actually a pretty damaging narrative for how to revive American cities. The answer to fixing cities isn't to suck people into the city from the surrounding suburbs (which won't ever happen to the scale to stop the decline of any big city). The answer is to attract new transplants to the city, which is the way all cities grow in the first place.
Isn't Detroit now known as a hipster magnet in many parts of centre?

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 10:38 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
Imagine the advertising possibilities...

Detroit: You (and your lumberjack beard and unflattering plastic-framed glasses) can afford it!
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
Yeah, creative types have been migrating there from some of the more expensive cities. I know a few people that moved there from NYC over the past 3 - 4 years.

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 3:13 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
The answer to fixing cities isn't to suck people into the city from the surrounding suburbs (which won't ever happen to the scale to stop the decline of any big city). The answer is to attract new transplants to the city, which is the way all cities grow in the first place.
I think you gotta try to do both.

And this certainly isn't a Detroit-specific issue, but applies to many of our rust belt cities who've seen so much of their former wealth dissipate into the burbs over the decades.

And yes, new blood (and the new ideas and attitudes it brings) is also a very important part of the solution too, both immigrants and domestic migrants.

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 4:04 PM

Just realized that that new Coventry Cathedral's very first foundation stone was laid over 65 years ago by the Queen, the current one.

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 8:16 AM
if I sang out of tune

Though bear in mind that's the new cathedral.

The old one (on the left, obvs) was built 700 years ago and destroyed in the Blitz, with its 300ft spire surviving

Now a public square

https://earlymusicmuse.com

The new cathedral, at right was consecrated in 1962 -you can imagine how controversial it was in its time. It's actually quite cool to check out all the hoo-haa between old and new, the only redeeming feature of the town.

Coventry's pretty much an ode to the renewal of a city, both the mistakes and successes.

https://britishpilgrimage.org/wp-con...Cathedrals.jpg

https://www.acnb-church.org/wp-conte...0_Op8W8E-1.jpg

In 2019 they installed the very creepy 30ft Knife Angel outside, by the sculpture of St Michael Overcoming the Devil -it's made up of 100,000 amnestied blades. It's not controversial as it's only temporary - the Coventrians wouldn't be too happy with that as their shiny symbol of urban renewal.

Last edited by muppet; May 8, 2021 at 9:04 AM.

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 8:54 AM
if I sang out of tune

The city has been simultaneously voted UK's city of culture and the Britain's ugliest city centre in the same year. A truly hit n miss record for urban renewal -more of what not to do imo:

In the end it lost out to Hemel Hempstead as ugliest town, which is as anodyne and atmospheric as a warm toilet seat:

https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incomin..._Hempstead.jpg

Last edited by muppet; May 8, 2021 at 9:18 AM.

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 1:56 PM

Wow, Coventry got hit with the ugly stick. It looks worse than Germany's Ruhr cities. Fricking WW2.

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 2:30 PM
Dryer lint inspector

The cathedral (new and old) were the only interesting things about Coventry. Otherwise the city could made a great backdrop for a dystopian novel.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Wow, Coventry got hit with the ugly stick. It looks worse than Germany's Ruhr cities. Fricking WW2.
The Germans at the time actually coined for the obliteration of a city “Coventrated”. Though this was before the great raid of 23 August 1942 on Stalingrad when over the course of a day and a night of wholesale destruction the city on the Volga was 90% leveled. That massive firestorm killing 40,000 the same grizzly number that took a week of allied firebombing on Hamburg the following year to achieve.

It’s hard enough wrapping your head around WW2 in the west let alone the eastern front where every day is the Somme, Passchendaele, Verdun. That charnel house downright makes the western affair look .. chivalric.

We lucky! ... !? .. ? .. !

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 9:43 PM

Getting back on Detroit I have a few photos that I like to look at when I think of what might have been.

If not for the innumerable if nots such as the destruction caused by the freeways and urban renewal combined with the elimination of the streetcar system tearing the threads of the city apart. All at a time when bad government policy such as redlining induced whites to flee while nonwhites were forced to move into new neighborhoods.

That just scratches the surface of the micro at the macro the US strategy to win the Cold War by fostering powerful allies. This western sphere of influence was kept in place part by using its military might to impose the new international order where any nation in the order can gather resources it needs to manufacture goods and then allowing them to be sold into an open US market place.

Not a great deal for US industry which planners were working to decentralize because the Soviets could nuke Detroit and or Pittsburgh crippling our war making abilities. All at a time of great technical advancement making the old prewar manufacturing method with its multistory urban factories obsolete.

I could potentially see a 68’ revival despite the war and racial tension if Detroit got the Olympic Games similar to LA in 84 but that’s relying a lot on community sprit and goodwill and a X factor of leadership. The Olympic infrastructure providing a economic boost could have helped forestall problems so they didn’t all pile on at once and a community coming together for the Olympics like in LA could have forestalled the explosion of racial tensions like it did there to a time when things might not have been so pressurized like after Vietnam.

I digress I wanted to mention the Detroit narrative with the often overlooked macro factors involved.

New Center & North End

_Pointless_

Boston - Edison

Tours.StylishDetroit

Rosedale Park (mislabeled as Boston - Edison)

Istorage Detroit Neighborhood Guide

Hamtramck

Zillow

Zillow

Last edited by Thirteen Mile; May 12, 2021 at 10:25 PM.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 5:36 AM
if I sang out of tune

Detroit looks fab in those pics, a version of the 'last Great American city'. Not that US cities are declining (anything but), but the iconic 20th Century view of what a city should entail - forest cover suburbs, large, beautiful residential homes (wooden), densifying into brick and historic highrises nearer the centre. Of course our ideas on citybuilding have changed, but it's a testament to historic value.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 11:50 PM

Well put the time when Detroit rose to prominence was both fortunate and ill fated on the one hand there was a good symbioses in the interwar period between automobile and mass transit. But I’ll fated to suffer through the Great Depression and have the post war boom wasted tearing up the inner city to accommodate growth that only came to the suburbs.

I surprised myself here a lil bit but I had gotten together with my dad and 103 year old grandpa and we had been talking about the home & neighborhood my dad was born Monica st now demolished for the lodge freeway. Kinda went over what I wanted to say and show with a couple pics but this is Detroit before and after so why not.

The near east and west sides developed in the 10s - 20s were packed with detached single family homes built so close as to almost resemble townhomes especially on the brick heavy westside while accommodating car ownership with narrow driveways and alley access garages.

This area was street car centric with multistory apartments interspersed and the peak of Detroit’s uniqueness and the anchor between the true urban core and the leafy semi suburban outer drive ring neighborhoods.

Even getting out into the outer drive ring area with its wide boulevards and houses are planned to have 2 cars in every garage much of the development took place in the 20s through 40s where much of every day transit was facilitated by streetcar. The great old traditional suburbs Dearborn & those of The Woodward Corridor were built up during this time and along this model.

This is period is where the first cracks appear in the city’s planning efforts major projects downtown are lost to the depression as are efforts to build a subway. The city got hit harder than most at first by the depression but it recovered quicker. The great migration of southern blacks and whites found housing scares and new development geared towards building more profitable middle class and wealthy neighborhoods.

This is where the core anchor neighborhoods begin their slow slide into decline as demographics shift towards smaller families single family homes were chopped up into flats and duplexes the results of this would rear its head after generation of lacking investment.

The breaking down of single family homes and the forcible dismantling despite its popularity of the street car left the urban transition zone being repurposed as a car centric area it was never meant to be. Perhaps if during this tumultuous period of shake up economic and social conditions were different such as in LA the transition into the modern ear could have left the city more whole.

However there are still a lot of neighborhoods especially the west side brick ones that were built so well that they were able to wether the storm. Such is the luck of the last great American city the time it fully boomed was cut short and its post war boom was wasted on refitting the city for a continued boom that was about to shift fully to the burbs.

The bones are strong and the city is restitching back together slowly but surely a lot of effort in place such as with the Joe Louis Greenway. This connect the urban core and with the strong surrounding innermost neighborhoods of 10s and 20s vintage and on to the uptown university district south of Ferndale and Dearborn.

Keller Williams Advantage

Keller Williams Advantage

Here’s a couple pics of the Russell Woods - Oakman Neighborhood area a prime example of the kind of near in neighborhoods that once reconnected with areas like The University District and Rosedale Park will truly have the city on the road to recovery.

Last edited by Thirteen Mile; May 13, 2021 at 12:06 AM.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 11:52 PM

*Edit please delete

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 6:14 AM
if I sang out of tune

There's alot of beautiful, historic housing stock in Detroit still, that's for certain.

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 10:01 AM
An Optimistic Realist

I feel that Detroit, LA, and Miami could all be cousins. They exemplified the streetcar suburb modern layout of American cities that dominated the early and mid 20th century. At their core and past, they were some of the last places in the US that could have the right balance between old school urbanism and suburbia before sprawl rapidly took over.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions