HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 4:03 AM

^^I really doubt LA is going to get the Olympics after Trump winning.

I am not making a rag on Trump or saying it would be his fault per say, but I think the international community is at such odds with him and the US right now that LA getting it would blow me away. It just seems really unlikely now.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 4:07 AM
BANNED

Why not? Have you seen who's running for president in France?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 4:13 AM
life is good

^^^ exactly. Plus, he may not even win re-election, and even if he does, 2024 would be his final year.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 4:15 AM
BANNED

I read that the IOC loves Trump anyways.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 4:31 AM

^^The choice would be before 2024 and even before he is reelected or not.

^Really? That surprises me. but what to I know.

I just feel like his more nationalistic ideals and the general dislike of him in the international community could really hurt LA's chances. I have already heard buzz of some companies expressing interest in leaving the US, so I am just paranoid about the games.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 4:38 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

L.A. still the favorite for Olympics after Trump's election, experts say

http://www.bizjournals.com/losangele...ite-trump.html

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 4:52 AM

^Heck yeah! I redact all my paranoia.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 6:29 AM

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 8:02 AM
dazzle me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
L.A. still the favorite for Olympics after Trump's election, experts say

http://www.bizjournals.com/losangele...ite-trump.html
nobody credible believes that LA is the frontrunner over paris. and trump has a huge impact, how can't he? imagine you're an IOC member with a nominal level of accountability to your home country, even if you as an elite laugh at and ignore trump (and aren't affected by his presidency), think about the hundreds of millions (or even billions) who now see the US as having taken a sharp turn to the xenophobic and weird.

the IOC members will be minimally cognizant of this, especially in europe and latin america. paris was already the front-runner. i hate to say it, because i really want the olympics in LA, but it's dead.

still, we should continue on as if there's a chance, so that the money keeps flowing to transit until it's confirmed.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 3:31 PM

Wow!! Thanks ChelseaFC for those videos. The Olympics are going to be beautiful... And LAX... Gotta make sure I do more international travel so I can go through there.

To those that feel Trump is a threat to the U.S. Olympics, pay attention to also what's happening in France, they have been dealing with the effects of the refugee crisis and are also in many ways in the same space as America and are on the verge of also electing Marine Le Pen, who is running on the same platform as Trump with Far right anti immigration policies. But that's a political discussion for another time.

I'm excited for when the USOC unleashes it's not so secret weapon into the mix with the new Inglewood Stadium. I feel like they are going to wait till the end for this announcement when other cities stadiums are set in stone. Then BAM!!!! No one can turn that baby down

Last edited by hughfb3; Nov 23, 2016 at 5:49 PM.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a very long weekend View Post
nobody credible believes that LA is the frontrunner over paris. and trump has a huge impact, how can't he? imagine you're an IOC member with a nominal level of accountability to your home country, even if you as an elite laugh at and ignore trump (and aren't affected by his presidency), think about the hundreds of millions (or even billions) who now see the US as having taken a sharp turn to the xenophobic and weird.

the IOC members will be minimally cognizant of this, especially in europe and latin america. paris was already the front-runner. i hate to say it, because i really want the olympics in LA, but it's dead.

still, we should continue on as if there's a chance, so that the money keeps flowing to transit until it's confirmed.

If you remember the bid for 2012, it's hard not to believe the IOC is waiting to coronate Paris. Paris was gutted when they were rejected for London. They were expected to win after having bid 3 times in recent years going on 4 with this round. The IOC isn't going to slap them across the face again. LA can shake off a loss, but Paris will see it as a crisis. For political reasons, the IOC is going be expected to give it to Paris.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 4:22 PM
Ascension

I don't think at all that Trump being president effects LA's Olympic bid. Bush was president during the 2002 Salt Lake Games. Granted he was maybe a year into his administration. Plus Hitler was Chancellor of Germany during the 1936 Berlin so that should tell you something about the IOC and how they work. Plus, I personally think that Trump will be a one term president so he would be out of office come 2021.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 4:31 PM

Quote:

Except, you're wrong. LA is the favorite based on most betting sites. Best bid, most innovative, and least expensive. Also, have you seen who France is about to elect? Makes trump look like a choir boy

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 5:30 PM

Lightbulb

^^^ Yup.

Quote:

I have to agree with LAsportsfan and the others. It really doesn't matter at this point. the IOC isn't that respectable (as we've seen in previous years) to take politics, prestige and special events (50 year-100 year anniversaries) into consideration when making their decisions.

Russia has hosted, most governments despise Putins way of doing things BUT that didn't stop the IOC from giving it to him. China has hosted and is about to host again...Most of South East Asian is fed up with China, Horrible trade deals, militarizing the south china sea, HORRIBLE Humans rights records all while China gives a big middle finger the U.N. with a smile on their face.....yet they are being allowed to host.

The point is.... the IOC isn't that organization that cares about ANYTHING that affects the masses, its all about internal politics with them. Trump is just a drop in the bucket, the election is over, lets move on from it. Its nothing new, most of Europe is going through the same thing we are, especially with the refugee crisis.... Reason why Brexit happened and France is about to elect someone that's has equally, if not more, radical political views than our current prez elect and Germanys Angela Merkel will most likely get the boot soon.

Yeah the media keeps saying how the world hates us because of who was elected.... But they intentionally forget to mention the billions that also applauded the outcome. 2 weeks later, I'm seriously over it being a topic of discussion.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 7:20 PM

I don't know if LA is the favorite, but agree that Trump will have little to no relevance to the success of LA's Olympic bid. NBC's multi-billion dollar sponsorship deal all but guaranteed that the summer games will be returning to the US by 2032, regardless of who is the President. With the growing number of countries hesitant to host the games the IOC is far more concerned about their own future than US politics.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 7:37 PM

After Trump, Brexit, and the FARC agreement, I find people's overconfident pure guesses passed as fact to be completely comical. Y'all need to settle down.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StethJeff View Post
After Trump, Brexit, and the FARC agreement, I find people's overconfident pure guesses passed as fact to be completely comical. Y'all need to settle down.
Yep. Can this thread just ignore the baseless Trump/IOC talk? It doesn't seem productive at all.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 12:32 AM
Paramoderator

If the Olympic Committee doesn't care about one thing, it's how democratic the government of the host country is. Hell, they've had Olympics in Authoritarian Russia, the USSR, Nazi Fuckin' Germany, let alone Rio which is more or less a 3rd World Country. The Political climate of the US will have very little bearing on the Olympic Committee's selection.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally West View Post
Yep. Can this thread just ignore the baseless Trump/IOC talk? It doesn't seem productive at all.
Ditto. It can only devolve from here.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 6:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
Plus, I personally think that Trump will be a one term president so he would be out of office come 2021.
Never doubt the stupidity of the American people.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations