HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 9:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kill 'em View Post
That's fine because there's still lots of places Century City could some day build a new tallest once the airport does close. There's a lot of parking garages, and the zoning of all the low rise condos from the 80s there should be changed so developers could buy them out buildings individually and redevelop them into residential highrises. The boulevards should be reduced to less than half their current width to make it more walkable and some of that reduction could be built on. At the same time new streets should break up the mega blocks and the Olympic/Avenue of the Stars interchange should be reconfigured as a normal intersection.
So the hight limit automatically goes away with the airport? The city of Los Angeles must have hight limits based on areas, who's to say the hight limit won't go away with the airport? These are just questions.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 4:34 PM

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 4:54 PM
Ascension

I like it.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 5:32 PM

Is Westlake/MacArthur Park not considered downtown?

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutonicpanda View Post
Is Westlake/MacArthur Park not considered downtown?
Not usually, too far and cut off from DTLA's urban fabric.

Pretty amazing proposal. Are there currently any buildings of considerable height in the area?

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 6:30 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat View Post
Not usually, too far and cut off from DTLA's urban fabric.

Pretty amazing proposal. Are there currently any buildings of considerable height in the area?
Nothing remotely that tall. The Playstation building maybe but that's on the other side of the park and nowhere near as tall. This will stick out.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 7:15 PM
REAL Kiwi!

LA is so different than a San Francisco or Manhattan, where there is already a dense highrise fabric. There are so many potential sites for highrise living in LAs core and urban districts.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 6:13 PM

Are there any proposed highrises in Hollywood in the 60's to 70's futurist style?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2016, 3:59 AM
life is good

41 stories? nice!

Old Posted Dec 31, 2016, 12:32 PM
BikeMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST500 View Post
Are there any proposed highrises in Hollywood in the 60's to 70's futurist style?
This one at the Jack in the Box site:
http://urbanize.la/post/hollywoods-n...deco-throwback

Real DTLA Development Group

Old Posted Dec 31, 2016, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident View Post
This one at the Jack in the Box site:
http://urbanize.la/post/hollywoods-n...deco-throwback
Big fan of the Art Deco style, but I was referring specifically to the 60s to 70s late modernism style. I've seen some renderings in that style in Hollywood but forget the specific proposals.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 5:53 PM

In the spirit of the list created by forum member ConstructDTLA in the downtown thread of projects under construction and likely to break ground this year, I took a lap thru the first page of this thread as well as Urbanize to offer up a comparable compilation (10 floors or greater) with my own 2 cents worth of analysis-

Probable for starting this year (in no particular order)-

-Century Plaza Hotel Redevelopment - 46 Floors x2 (supposedly broke ground back in March but only interior demo so far per colemonkee)

-Hollywood Palladium Towers - 27 Floors x2 (Hollywood proposal in trouble thanks to AHF. But the developer has very deep pockets, see 10000 SM project)

-The Four Seasons Private Residences - 12 Floors (Really high plywood fence went up over a year ago but nothing since)

-5901 Sunset Blvd. - 15 Floors (the Icon project across the street rented out overnight when Netflix leased the whole thing, bodes well for this one)

-9900 Wilshire - 11 Floors x2 (Chinese backers and city of BH approvals in hand)

-Academy Square Project (Supposedly had a 2016 start date)

-Wilshire Curson Office Building- 12 Floors (Spring 2017, reputable developer JH Snyder)

Doubtful-

-Millenium Hollywood - 39 and 35 Floors (AIDS Healthcare Foundation initiative will probably bury this one if it passes)

-333 La Cienega Blvd. - 17 Floors (Caruso project suddenly coming under heavy fire from NIMBY's)

-8150 Sunset Blvd. - 15 Floors / 11 Floors (Still has NIMBY's fighting it and developer financing unknown)

-Wilshire and La Jolla - 15 Floors (developer partners suing each other)

-6220 W. Yucca- 32 Floors (Supposedly 2017 groundbreaking per Urbanize, AHF initiative will likely kill everything in Hollywood)

-Former House of Blues site Hotel- 10 Floors (Site been a ghost town for months)

Unknown-

-The litany of recent Koreatown proposals, mostly Jameson Properties, unknown status depending on if they got city approval before the passage of Measure JJJ. Comprehensive list of those projects can be found here-

http://la.curbed.com/maps/koreatown-...-new-buildings

-Beverly Hilton condo towers- (project timeline unknown after redesign defeated at ballot box)

-No point in even discussing stuff like Wilshire at Gayley or anything on the westside that have been dead for years. Nor anything recently proposed still seeking entitlements.

Of course if the AHF Initiative passes then all bets are off on anything that hasn't already broken ground by March

The good news is there are plenty of big projects that will be wrapping up construction and open for business in the next several months like Sunset La Cienega and the Waldorf Astoria in BH.

Please let me know if I missed anything or have wrong info.

Last edited by Steve8263; Feb 8, 2017 at 11:03 PM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 6:24 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

I can see the Century Plaza Hotel from my office window, and there are workers actively working in the existing hotel, so it looks like interior demo for the renovation of the existing structure is underway.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 11:36 PM

I wonder how many of these Hollywood projects would already be u/c if the NIMBYs hadn't got the Hollywood Community Plan overturned in 2014.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 6:11 AM
Paramoderator

Hollywood Palladium Towers will most likely break ground. Thing has had an early 2017 start date since it was announced. Even if Measure JJJ passes, the towers will be one big last F U to the AHF.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 1:04 PM
BikeMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve8263 View Post
Of course if the AHF Initiative passes then all bets are off on anything that hasn't already broken ground by March
Measure S only applies to structures that get vested after election day. So every project you mentioned wouldn't be affected by Measure S because they already have a zone change.

Real DTLA Development Group

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident View Post
Measure S only applies to structures that get vested after election day. So every project you mentioned wouldn't be affected by Measure S because they already have a zone change.
Thanks everyone for the comments, I made a few changes to the list based on the feedback. I hope you are correct about Measure S, I was having a hard time interpreting it with regards to existing proposals. Here's the wording-

The proposed ordinance would amend City laws related to the General Plan, including to: 1) impose a two-year moratorium on projects seeking General Plan amendments or zone or height-district changes resulting in more intense land use, an increase in density or height, or a loss of zoned open space, agricultural or industrial areas, with exceptions including for affordable housing projects and projects for which vested rights have accrued;

I guess the key word there is "seeking" and as such shouldn't apply to already approved changes then.

Last edited by Steve8263; Jan 5, 2017 at 4:00 PM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 4:08 PM

Thank you for that list of projects Steve. You have Academy Square listed as in peril, but I just saw a letter of demolition on the site. Anyone else have info on this one?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
You have Academy Square listed as in peril
I changed the category names to cut down on possible confusion. It's in the probable zone.

Also, rather coincidental timing with this article, validating my speculation on the 5901 Sunset Blvd project-

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...105-story.html

With both of its new office buildings in Hollywood spoken for, Hudson Pacific will start marketing a third planned office building to rise on a parking lot the company owns at 5901 Sunset Blvd. The Los Angeles company expects to break ground on the 15-story, 300,000-square-foot building called Epic by the end of the year

Last edited by Steve8263; Jan 6, 2017 at 3:12 AM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve8263 View Post
What do you think the chances are of its passage? I doubt it has the support of most Angelinos, but will people bother to vote against it in a spring election?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations