HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 9:44 AM
Everywhere all at once

Thanks timbad, I've always appreciated your regular updates on Mission Bay, but even more so since actually walking through the neighborhood when I visited San Fran last August. It's incredible to see an urban district literally rise new from the ground. I can only hope the inevitable success of this neighborhood will encourage similar neighborhoods to finally be developed at Hunter's and Candlestick Points. That would go a considerable way towards alleviating San Francisco's acute housing shortages.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 3:00 PM

Not really anything new here, but Business Times article on Nat Bosa visiting his Arden (Block 12 East) project under construction.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci....html?page=all

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 5:47 PM

4th Street Retail

As I was running on 4th Street yesterday I noticed some nice furniture inside the retail space at Starta.

Bimma Loft moved from it's location on 4th and Townsend to help the hundreds of new Mission Bay dwellers furnish they modern apartments. It was such a happy surprise to see the retail space occupied after so many years of sitting empty. Here is to hope that others will soon join Bimma Loft.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
a random shot of the SE corner of Fourth and Channel:

Drove by this yesterday, heading south on 4th. The brown metal panels at least on the SE corner of 4th & Channel are all banged up. Hopefully the owner will require that it be corrected. Such a shame.

Last edited by cv94117; Feb 25, 2014 at 11:00 PM. Reason: clarification

Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 6:37 AM
heavy user of walkability

a combination of poor weather, my being out of town, computer issues, and lack of visual change in the neighborhood has kept me from posting for a while, but here is a brief update from around the horn...

a second crane has gone up at block 12E 'Arden', seen here with the one at block 13W 'Sol', looking east:

over on the north side of the public safety building, they have closed up Mission Rock St after laying the pipe, and have left a raised, level pile of dirt (with two sidewalk-width, slightly-more-raised strips on either side) along what looks like the realigned course of the road. here looking east

here looking west from Terry Francois:

again, showing better the contrast in new alignment, left, and old, on the right

Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 7:24 PM

<-- sorry, more computer issues made me cut that post short... continued...

still at the public safety building, the sidewalk out front, on Third, which had been a pit for weeks, has been filled in, but no other recent work in the last couple of weeks. I would think they would like to have both the sidewalk and Mission Rock St work completed before baseball season starts in a month and crowds/cars need to pass through these areas

on the north side of the building, they were installing what I assume are the firehouse garage doors:

jumping back over to the blocks along Channel, hope you can see in this shot (lighting difficult) that the eastern section of 'Arden' is starting to rise (in front of - from this northeast perspective - green block 11 'MB 360'):

and here is what the eastern section of 'Sol' along Channel looked like as of a week ago (not much visual change since then):

on Fourth, they've replaced a bench and plantings in front of block 3 'Venue' that had been removed during construction:

not too much change, but here is the current look north up Fourth, from China Basin:

here is the look west down China Basin from Fourth, with block 5 on the right and block 11 in the distance:

plantings are starting to go in on the alley between blocks 2 and 3. here looking west with block 13E Mercy Housing in the background:

from further back:

on block 2 'Channel MB' they are still not done with all the exteriors, weeks after people started moving in. my impression is slow going on that site. here is the entrance to Fourth at Channel

and from slightly (.5 block south of the hospital) outside MB proper, socketsite recently had a mention of 94-unit project for the east side of Third St, which would replace the two buildings in the center of this shot (there is already a notice that the three tall trees out front will be removed)

Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 8:35 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
and from slightly (.5 block south of the hospital) outside MB proper, socketsite recently had a mention of 94-unit project for the east side of Third St, which would replace the two buildings in the center of this shot (there is already a notice that the three tall trees out front will be removed)

They should save the trees, especially since they've grown up straighter than anything else now on the block is likely to do. I've seen other sites in SF where more mature trees were removed for construction, to the deprivation of neighborhoods.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
They should save the trees, especially since they've grown up straighter than anything else now on the block is likely to do. I've seen other sites in SF where more mature trees were removed for construction, to the deprivation of neighborhoods.
I probably shouldn't have mentioned the two things together, since I am not sure the removal is related to the construction (I saw the signs before hearing about the project, in any case, and the signs do not mention it)

I had the same reaction when I saw the signs - that it would be an unfortunate loss.

here is a shot from the sidewalk, where you can see that the trees are starting to buckle it. Third St is very sidewalk-challenged

Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 9:56 PM

Ucsf

might as well throw in a few shots from UCSF. at the hospital, work continues on the west side passageway. looks like the structure that I think will serve as a small outdoor amphitheater is up, and altho probably not very visible, the first trees are on site. ground level is probably not the best way to see what is going on, tho - the webcam must have a better angle (I keep forgetting to check it in the daytime, and checking the link right now, it doesn't seem to work for me)

... and the medical office building from various angles:

Last edited by timbad; Mar 4, 2014 at 5:35 AM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 2:23 AM

UCSF has announced that it is in discussions to acquire Blocks 33 and 34, the old cement plant on the skinny blocks bounded by Third, 16th, Illinois, and Mariposa. Some may recall that UCSF had put forth an RFP for 300,000 square feet of space to help consolidate some of their leased operations from elsewhere in the city at a location adjacent to the MB campus, and this is the result of that process.

http://www.ucsf.edu/news/2014/03/112...n-bay-property

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 3:19 AM

...anything but more ugly blocky UCSF buildings. Mission Bay could have been so much more, but has largely become a dense suburban office park for UCSF

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 9:57 AM
dazzle me

yep.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 5:03 PM

Mission Bay is a clean, quiet, sunny(er), safe neighborhood free of homeless, drug addicts, ugly naked people trying to make a point, and militant "activists" and hipsters. I don't see much wrong with that. It's a nice place to come home too after spending time in the city proper.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
Mission Bay is a clean, quiet, sunny(er), safe neighborhood free of homeless, drug addicts, ugly naked people trying to make a point, and militant "activists" and hipsters. I don't see much wrong with that. It's a nice place to come home too after spending time in the city proper.
Well, for now, it is...wait a year or two and I am sure they will all find their way there

Just kidding. I am actually hoping to move out to San Fran this fall, and would like to live in the Mission Bay development. Im a server admin/database admin, just have to find a company willing to relocate me there and I will be moving there myself...

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 3:54 PM

Another retailer announced for fourth street

This is really great news for mission bay residents. Market Hall is moving in at 4th and Channel street. They have one in Rockridge and I heard great things about this market place.

PS: Park P15 also appears to be taking shape!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 7:45 PM
Build Baby Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link N. Parker View Post
Well, for now, it is...wait a year or two and I am sure they will all find their way there

Just kidding. I am actually hoping to move out to San Fran this fall, and would like to live in the Mission Bay development. Im a server admin/database admin, just have to find a company willing to relocate me there and I will be moving there myself...
Don't expect to live in the Mission Bay...its not exactly a thriving residential area yet.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potrero View Post
This is really great news for mission bay residents. Market Hall is moving in at 4th and Channel street. They have one in Rockridge and I heard great things about this market place.

PS: Park P15 also appears to be taking shape!
That is a FANTASTIC get for this neighborhood, and a positive sign that they will be able to attract at least some retail that can be seen as desirable and destination...have been worried about banks and dentists.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 12:53 AM

Great news about Market Hall. I haven't been, but it looks like it has been well received in Oakland:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/rockridge-market-hall-oakland

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
Don't expect to live in the Mission Bay...its not exactly a thriving residential area yet.
Yeah, I can tell from the photos, it's a brand new neighborhood, built from the ground up...but I prefer brand-new apartment units anyway. I will move there, and watch things develop. Unless I find a better deal on a new-ish unit somewhere else in the city...

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS View Post
That is a FANTASTIC get for this neighborhood, and a positive sign that they will be able to attract at least some retail that can be seen as desirable and destination...have been worried about banks and dentists.
I think as people move in to the area, you will see all of the traditional services move in, that a typical urban neighborhood would have.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development