HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 8:20 PM

Just as a reminder for a guy who hasn't been to SF in several years now, can somebody give me a summary of where things stand right now in terms of stuff underway? This is what I've got:

Block 2 (UDR residential) - steel almost topped out
Block 3W (Urban Housing residential) - steel getting there
Block 5 (BRE residential) - foundation rebar going in
Block 8 (public safety) - steel going up quickly
Block 11 (BRE residential) - piles driven...just test ones, or full set?
Block 12E (Bosa residential) - gearing up within next month
Block 13W (Bosa residential) - test piles driven
Block 13E (Mercy residential) - rebar sprouting out of the ground
Blocks P23/24 - starting relatively soon to open alongside UCSF hospital

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 7:05 AM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
Just as a reminder for a guy who hasn't been to SF in several years now, can somebody give me a summary of where things stand right now in terms of stuff underway? This is what I've got:

Block 2 (UDR residential) - steel almost topped out
Block 3W (Urban Housing residential) - steel getting there
Block 5 (BRE residential) - foundation rebar going in
Block 8 (public safety) - steel going up quickly
Block 11 (BRE residential) - piles driven...just test ones, or full set?
Block 12E (Bosa residential) - gearing up within next month
Block 13W (Bosa residential) - test piles driven
Block 13E (Mercy residential) - rebar sprouting out of the ground
Blocks P23/24 - starting relatively soon to open alongside UCSF hospital
I think this is a good rundown, actually - not bad from thousands of miles away! my only comments:

- block 11: I thought it was a full set of piles, but then again, strange that they have been in pause since driving them months ago.
- P23/24: these are the ones in the far SE of MB over along Terry Francois, around the Fibrogen building. not sure if by 'opening alongside hospital' you meant in time or space, but it is not the latter

edit: hoping not to jinx anything, but there is a comment here from D Baker himself about 9 months ago that block 7 W should break ground 'in about a year'. so we'd be talking this summer...

Last edited by timbad; Mar 8, 2013 at 7:20 AM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 7:13 AM

thanks also, WC, for the info on long-term planning for UCSF. happy to see the height of the one tower on Third, and, I'll say it again, a bit dismayed that the tallest structure besides those two towers is a parking garage.

I had kind of been rooting for the student housing to be along Fourth and framing Gene Friend Way with the existing housing, to get more critical mass over there, but I also like the idea of having it next to the future school, and just across the Commons from other residential.

edit: oh, and too bad the western side of the neurosciences building is going to be so visible with the nice open soccer field not blocking the view.

Last edited by timbad; Mar 8, 2013 at 7:35 AM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 3:41 PM

Yes, I did mean time rather than space in referring to P23/24.

As for the housing, I think they really wanted to maximize the number of beds they could do, and that meant they had to do it on Block 15. So I'm okay with the tradeoff...Block 23 would have been nice with the Gene Friend Way plaza and the light rail stop, but it's still pretty close to that area.

The tall parking garage is also a tradeoff. Block 18 was originally supposed to be entirely garage...actually two separate garages totaling 1800-1900 spaces with 6th Street running between them, but they've been able to eliminate that block of 6th Street entirely from the plan. But with community concerns about UCSF turning its back on Owens, they've decided to put an office tower fronting along there with the garage behind.

So by going vertical with the garage and eliminating 6th Street, they're able to squeeze in 1544 spaces (plus 60 shuttle spaces) while also getting the office tower on one side and a larger sports field on the other. We fought long and hard for a sports field...it almost went away entirely or put on a rooftop. Unfortunately there was also supposed to be a couple of tennis courts or similar smaller-scale recreation on Block 15, but that has to go for the housing.

So yes, a tall parking garage isn't ideal, but I think it's a good compromise given what can be achieved with it. It's also important to note how successful UCSF has been with the shuttle system and on-campus housing. The original projections were for 4600 spaces for the campus, but it looks like they're going to get away with only around 3000. There was originally supposed to be a 1000-space garage on Block 20, but that disappeared from the plans with the first housing project. They also seem to not be including the potential 375-space expansion to the Block 23B garage in the latest plans.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 7:11 PM

Timbad,
I walked block 7 yesterday and they're definitely digging up the ground on the western side. To the best of my knowledge, they've broken ground.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2013, 6:25 AM

WC, thanks for the really coherent background explanation. very much appreciate the added perspective.

sahran, that would be a pleasant surprise - I will be checking it out this weekend!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2013, 6:40 PM

Observations/Questions

- Went by block 7 this morning and can also confirm they have taken up pavement in one corner of the lot. They are also doing some drilling, which I think may be soil testing. That white truck is always the precursor to development starting.
- With 13W test piles being driven, and Bosa indicating intent to start on 12E, it appears they'll be developing their final 2 lots at the same time, which will be great. Unless plans have changed, then given where 12E is, that would mean they would need to begin tearing up the road at some point and straightening it, which also makes me wonder if they will move forward with tearing down that remaining storage facility?
- Still wondering when they would begin doing any work on those park parcels at that end? With that many new residents south of the creek, there will be a lot of people wanting to walk around the creek under the overpasses, and that area is disgusting right now, with squatter camps continually popping up. I hope they move ahead and tear down that last shed, and complete the road infrastructure work, while simultaneously starting the park work on that end.
- This seemed to quietly happen, but the old Carmens shed was finally torn down on the 4th st. bridge, but the pier remains. Don't know if/when they plan to rip the rest of it out?
- Does anyone know if they still plan on putting the 5th street pedestrian bridge in over the creek? Have seen anything on that in ages.
- It appears no work has begun on the children's park yet, and there's a lot of construction stuff being parked on that space currently. I thought they were supposed to start beginning of the year. Anyone have any updates on this?
- Any whispers yet on the Salesforce parcels? That's the last remaining piece of the puzzle that needs resolution and development to finally fill Mission Bay in.
- Anyone hear anything lately about Dagget Place at 7th/16th? I thought they would have started on that a long time ago.
- With the ongoing rebar/concrete working taking shape on block 5 and 13E, 4th st. will start looking dramatically different over the next 3 months.
- From a distance, it looked like rebar was going up on Block 11, so that as well will be rising soon.

All in all, a crazy amount of activity taking place in MB right now, and can't wait to see it all fill in in the coming months.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2013, 7:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady73 View Post
- Went by block 7 this morning and can also confirm they have taken up pavement in one corner of the lot. They are also doing some drilling, which I think may be soil testing. That white truck is always the precursor to development starting.
when I went by there today, it looked to me like mostly what was going on was storage of rubble, on 7E. nothing was happening on 7W (which is the David Baker project site) except for a snoozy Canada goose, here in the foreground (the glare is off the white truck mentioned):

Quote:
- This seemed to quietly happen, but the old Carmens shed was finally torn down on the 4th st. bridge, but the pier remains. Don't know if/when they plan to rip the rest of it out?
hey yeah, they were sneaky, I hadn't even noticed this! I always thought it would be neat if they could make a funky location like that work for a little restaurant or café again. I only ever visited the old Carmen's once, and was not overly impressed, but I thought the general idea had potential, and might have been the best piece of 'flavor' that MB could muster. anyway, here it is (not):

Quote:
- Does anyone know if they still plan on putting the 5th street pedestrian bridge in over the creek? Have seen anything on that in ages.
as far as I know, that is still the plan; think they're just waiting for there to be more residents and amenities south of the Creek that would make people want/need to cross it.

Quote:
- Anyone hear anything lately about Dagget Place at 7th/16th? I thought they would have started on that a long time ago.
yeah, this one is dragging. already a year and a half ago, people were talking about how long the approval process had taken. Archstone, which had owned the site and planned to start construction summer 2012, was bought by Avalon and someone else around the end of last year, but I have no idea if that has further delayed this. at about the same time, Planning exempted the project from having to pay neighborhood impact fees, since it included Daggett Park.

Quote:
- From a distance, it looked like rebar was going up on Block 11, so that as well will be rising soon.
another thing I hadn't noticed, thanks Brady! this one is tucked so far back it is easy to miss activity there. not sure if you can make out, an excavator was at work over there today:

Old Posted Mar 10, 2013, 8:05 AM

elsewhere around the 'hood...

this is block 13W, where I noticed they had been tearing up the asphalt, which I think is a new development (I'm starting to doubt my powers of observation after the two things Brady noted that had escaped my attention):

a sunnier, but otherwise not very different than last week's, picture of blocks 13E and 2:

and from farther down Fourth:

block 5, where some concrete has been poured and rebar is sprouting:

down at block 25W, they have erected protective scaffolding over the sidewalk along Fourth (and those trees behind the decorative wall had notices on them that they were going to be removed. I'll have to look at the renderings again - I hadn't realized that, thought the trees were permanent parts of the south entry into campus. in any case, I seem to remember decent landscaping around the new building).

construction of the Borg ship - I mean public safety building - continues, with steel now reaching all the way east to west across the south side of the pit. here seen from the north:

from southeast:

Last edited by timbad; Mar 10, 2013 at 8:15 AM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
down at block 25W, they have erected protective scaffolding over the sidewalk along Fourth (and those trees behind the decorative wall had notices on them that they were going to be removed. I'll have to look at the renderings again - I hadn't realized that, thought the trees were permanent parts of the south entry into campus. in any case, I seem to remember decent landscaping around the new building).
I read somewhere recently that they are tweaking the design of that gateway to mesh with the building design. The current design was kind of semi-permanent given that they wanted something there but had no idea when they'd be building anything else on the block. Makes sense though...that corner plaza was totally hemmed in by trees and other vegetation, since it didn't need to lead anywhere, but now it will need to tie into the building going up.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 4:13 AM

John King had a brief take on his current impression of MB recently

Quote:
The disproportionate power of place also lifts the city's newest neighborhood, Mission Bay.
Almost since people started moving to the former rail yard a decade ago, I've joined in the chorus of dismay regarding the bottom-line mundanity of too many of the buildings. The view is especially bleak from Interstate 280, a thud-thud-thud of one squat block after the next.
So why would anyone live there, other than the freeway access to Silicon Valley? A stroll west along Mission Creek provides the answer: the gently landscaped promenade is one of the most urbane additions to San Francisco in a generation.
There are parents with strollers, residents with dogs, fitness buffs heading to the basketball courts beneath the freeway ramps and elders steering their motorized wheelchairs back to the subsidized senior apartments that sit atop a branch of the San Francisco Public Library.
That's the impression up close, day after day - an evolving terrain with more facets than the outsider might expect.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 9:12 AM

Quote:
I read somewhere recently that they are tweaking the design of that gateway to mesh with the building design. ...Makes sense...that corner plaza was totally hemmed in by trees and other vegetation, since it didn't need to lead anywhere, but now it will need to tie into the building going up.
and just as a reminder to anyone, on page 20-21 of this pdf, there are schematics of the gateway area (and great renderings of the whole building overall in the doc)

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 6:10 AM

had a rare occasion to be in MB before dark on a weekday today...

Quote:
I read somewhere recently that they are tweaking the design of that gateway to mesh with the building design. ....
and sure enough, trees are gone, decorative wall going (looking east):

here looking north, where you can see that the auger was in action, tho I didn't see any actual piles, so maybe they were just seeing if it worked, ha

jumping around a bit, down at 2121 Third they are making progress:

they seem to have been concentrating on the southeastern rampart of the public safety fortress this week (this is looking along China Basin St):

here looking east across block 13E, where you can see that the western portion (not talking about 13W) is not as far along (mostly rebar) as the eastern, which is seeing concrete walls rise. block 2 bonus in the background:

and this is in what will be the walkway between blocks 13E and 13W (on the right):

was able to wander over to get a closer look at block 11 too - my camera battery ran out at that point, but it looks about like block 5 did in my last pic of it.

the sewer work seems to have wrapped up on China Basin St and MB Blvd North west of Fourth. would love to see those start to be formally built now.

Last edited by timbad; Mar 19, 2013 at 5:45 AM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
here looking north, where you can see that the augur was in action, tho I didn't see any actual piles, so maybe they were just seeing if it worked, ha
That's because there are no piles to see. Augered piles are just drilled holes that are then pumped full of concrete as the auger is withdrawn. Rebar then gets added to the concrete in the shaft before it hardens. I see at least one cement truck there in that pic feeding or ready to feed the auger.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 5:44 AM

Quote:
That's because there are no piles to see. Augered piles are just drilled holes that are then pumped full of concrete as the auger is withdrawn. Rebar then gets added to the concrete in the shaft before it hardens. I see at least one cement truck there in that pic feeding or ready to feed the auger.
thanks again, that certainly explains that.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 2:33 AM

Groundbreaking ceremony for UCSF's 25A office building, apparently to be called "Mission Hall Global Health & Clinical Sciences Building", is scheduled for Friday morning.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2013, 7:44 AM

crane was going up at block 13E over the weekend (blocks 2 and 3 in the background):

and, apparently there was still more to do with the sewer-work on the new streets west of Fourth, which is now in progress (this is MB Blvd North):

block 5 is now awash in concrete (looking north, block 13E in the background):

Old Posted Mar 27, 2013, 6:36 PM
Only Mostly Dead

^When not bolted onto the side of a building, tower cranes look scarily fragile to me. I'd feel much safer in one of the cranes at the top of the Shanghai tower than that little one on block 13.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 10:14 PM

"Dear Mission Bay Stakeholders,

We are happy to announce that the Mission Bay Drive and Circle (P10) will be open for public access on April 2nd, 2013 starting at 6:00am. Mission Bay Drive runs under the I-280 freeway overpass connecting Owens Street to Berry and 7th Street. At the time of the opening a median will be extended on Mission Bay Drive to block prior access to Berry Street from the north west and south east directions. Vehicles coming off of 7th Street will no longer be permitted to make an immediate left turn at Berry Street, but will be re-routed around the circle and then back on to Berry Street. This is designed as a public safety measure to keep cars from queuing up onto the railroad tracks. Attached is a letter and map from the Mission Bay Development Group describing in greater detail the improvements to Mission Bay Drive and the Circle .

Thank you,

Lila Hussain

Planner

City and County of San Francisco as

the Successor Agency to the San Francisco Redevelopment Agency

415-749-2431

415-749-2524

lila.hussain@sfgov.org "

Sorry, had trouble attaching the map and letter in pdf form.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2013, 3:28 AM

Nice to see that access finally opening up!

So I'm seeing a bunch of news over the past couple of weeks about Block 1, the triangular block closest to AT&T Park...bounded by Third, Fourth, Channel, and Park P3 along the channel itself. It's been intended as a mixed-use hotel/residential/retail project, and it looks like things are moving forward on it.

According to an RFQ that just closed earlier this week, construction on "Phase I", which includes the residential and some retail, is scheduled to start in June 2014. Strada bought the property last May, and Arquitectonica is leading the new design.

Quote:
Block 1 is a 2.73-acre parcel located at the North end of the Mission Bay South Redevelopment Project Area. The Project is comprised of two residential buildings and a hotel. This RFQ is for the first phase of the Project, the residential portion of the Project and the podium supporting the residential and hotel phases.

The residential portion of the Project will consist of a 155-foot-tall, Type I construction, structure facing Third Street and Mission Bay Creek, with approximately 219,000 square feet of residential space (including 200 housing units) and up to 10,000 square feet of retail space, and a 65-foot-tall structure facing Channel Street and Mission Creek with approximately 145,000 square feet of residential space (including 150 housing units) and up to 12,000 square feet of retail space.

There will be combined parking in an above grade podium. The roof of the parking will form an outdoor podium space accessed from the creek and by both residential buildings.
Here's a rough render of the massing...R1 and R2 residential buildings are the two going up in Phase 1, with H hotel going up later.

Both the Block 1 broad swaths and the proposed Park P3 design from CMG were presented to the Mission Bay Citizens Advisory Committee two weeks ago.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development