HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 7, 2022, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
same with Marion / St. Mary's and a few others
I have noticed the city isn't replacing the windows as expeditiously on the major hot spot camp shacks anymore.

Old Posted May 7, 2022, 4:33 PM

Its very early but I noticed Loney has been getting the vast majority of news coverage so far and Gilingham seems to have the rest. You just see a sentence or two for the other candidates. In terms of organization and community outreach it seems he’s been the most successful so far as well. If the trend keeps continuing as is Loney definitely has a shot at winning.

Old Posted May 7, 2022, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I have noticed the city isn't replacing the windows as expeditiously on the major hot spot camp shacks anymore.
City Transit is probably experiencing the same plate glass shortage that the rest of the construction/renovation industry is experiencing.

Old Posted May 7, 2022, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
City Transit is probably experiencing the same plate glass shortage that the rest of the construction/renovation industry is experiencing.
ahhh yes. saw a story about that on the news the other night. either way, glass enclosed or not, it didn't stop the tenants of the bus shack heating up their spoons and shooting up in front of the A&W across from Polo today in broad daylight today as i waited for the light to change..

Old Posted May 7, 2022, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
ahhh yes. saw a story about that on the news the other night. either way, glass enclosed or not, it didn't stop the tenants of the bus shack heating up their spoons and shooting up in front of the A&W across from Polo today in broad daylight today as i waited for the light to change..
Saw that too. I was getting a coffee at A&W.

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 5:14 PM

i was think of run for mayor but i will not run this year maybe down in 4 years i try run for mayor oneday

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 5:14 PM

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post
Good mayors have vision and focus on city-building, but too many councilors don't care about city building and are in it just to appease vocal minority residents who care more about if their local park gets an extra garbage can as opposed to making a functional transit system, reducing homelessness, densifying existing neighborhoods, or other city-building initiatives. You need a progressive mayor and a progressive majority on council and a progressive provincial government to make real change. The moon, planets, and stars have to align in Winnipeg for real, tangible progress to take in a 4 or 8 year period unfortunately.
I suppose in some respects councillors are giving the crowd what it wants. Whenever I get an update mailer from my councillor, Brian Mayes, it's never about big picture stuff. It's always the most pathetically parochial things you could imagine. I got funding to pave a tennis court! New garbage cans at park X! New boards at community centre Y! Never a word from him about the big picture.

It would be like if Elon Musk focused all of his time and energy on the kinds of flowers in the planters in front of Tesla HQ, or the soup being served in the employee lunchroom. Yet here we are.

The only councillor I ever had who seemed to be interested in actual city building and improving municipal government was Jenny Gerbasi.

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktom View Post
i was think of run for mayor but i will not run this year maybe down in 4 years i try run for mayor oneday
Good luck! I seem to recall a forumer ran for council some years back, that one guy in Point Douglas. Maybe there will soon be another

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 9:08 PM

I have been getting a few online surveys about name recognition of candidates for Winnipeg Mayor.
I wonder if the person(s) ordering the surveys are using them to decide if they are going to run soon?

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 5:35 PM

Have heard from a good source that Glen Murray is currently supporting Shaun Loney. The two apparently are good friends. Having heard that I started looking a bit more into Loney and does appear to have a background that lends itself to creating sustainable social enterprises that don't require government funding. Some left of center ideals while being fiscally enterprising, and with some additional vision input from Glen could be just the ticket.

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 6:03 PM
surely you agree with me

Much rather vote for Murray himself.

I’m desperate for a dyed in the wool urbanist mayor

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Much rather vote for Murray himself.

I’m desperate for a dyed in the wool urbanist mayor
It may still be a possibility, in which case you will see Loney step down in support of Murray. Both really don't want the job at the moment, but don't see any real vision with the other candidates who for the most part just maintain the existing status quo.

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I suppose in some respects councillors are giving the crowd what it wants. Whenever I get an update mailer from my councillor, Brian Mayes, it's never about big picture stuff. It's always the most pathetically parochial things you could imagine. I got funding to pave a tennis court! New garbage cans at park X! New boards at community centre Y! Never a word from him about the big picture.

It would be like if Elon Musk focused all of his time and energy on the kinds of flowers in the planters in front of Tesla HQ, or the soup being served in the employee lunchroom. Yet here we are.

The only councillor I ever had who seemed to be interested in actual city building and improving municipal government was Jenny Gerbasi.
lol. That reads like something a community volunteer would put on their resume, certainly not a city councillor.

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 12:55 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnedmenno View Post
It may still be a possibility, in which case you will see Loney step down in support of Murray. Both really don't want the job at the moment, but don't see any real vision with the other candidates who for the most part just maintain the existing status quo.
They are definitely right there. Murray could win. It’s an uphill climb for Loney. I fear without Murray in the mix we are getting a Conservative pothole-filling mayor.

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 1:03 AM

I think there could be a chance for a motkaluk or Klein as a pothole filling mayor to win. With basic maintenance and cleaning out of vagrants from bus shacks just the most basic of civic governance being abject failures and seemingly ignored it feels like i could go on with 311 ect.. but Gillingham focusing on continuing Bowman's legacy i don't think people want more political correctness and niceties they want meat and potatoes a clean and safe city with somewhat drivable roads at this point

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 1:19 AM

klein strikes me as more dangerous than just 4 years of aimless pothole filling

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 1:26 AM

^ Motkaluk, too. Hope they play spoiler against one another.

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 3:42 AM
surely you agree with me

^ agreed on both accounts.

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
With basic maintenance and cleaning out of vagrants from bus shacks just the most basic of civic governance being abject failures and seemingly ignored it feels like i could go on with 311 ect..
Inside source tells me that there is a project upcoming to clear out the bus shelters.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan