HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 20, 2021, 4:53 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen-kz View Post
Of course it is hard to imagine such changes in Winnipeg now (with baby boomers in power and a strong car culture) but maybe in 20 years we can see this shift...

Most of the pro-car Boomers born in the late 40s and 1950s are now retired.

It;s now Gen X and Millennials (like former SSPer Rob Galston) who are planning our cities.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen-kz View Post
In my vision Osborne north of confusion corner should not be a major thoroughfare, but rather pedestrian or shared street (maybe with LRT in the middle). So I would prefer to have it within 3-5 storeys in height to keep human scale. Of course it is hard to imagine such changes in Winnipeg now (with baby boomers in power and a strong car culture) but maybe in 20 years we can see this shift...
That would be wonderful. It is time for car culture to take a back seat to pedestrians.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 2:36 AM

Latest renderings for 197 Osborne:
  • 6 storey building
  • 6 Commercial Units on ground level
  • 90 Residential Units
  • 2 levels of Parking (underground & partial above-ground enclosed)

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 2:58 AM

So a tweaked version of Option 1 it seems. The decision to put little kids running around about 2 m from traffic on the second last render seems a bit strange at first glance. I guess it gives the impression of a family friendly place, but still...

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndoftheBeginning View Post
So a tweaked version of Option 1 it seems. The decision to put little kids running around about 2 m from traffic on the second last render seems a bit strange at first glance. I guess it gives the impression of a family friendly place, but still...
With the required setbacks the sidewalk there will be expanded.

Instagram

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 3:52 AM

Looks fantastic! The expanded sidewalk area will be nice so there can be some patio space as it looks like the second floor patios are likely for the residential. And the kids running around is good – convince the city to shut down the street for the summer, transit only.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 7:25 AM

That looks really great. Perfect scale, granular street wall, quality materials. I see nothing I don't love. 100 more, please.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 1:27 PM

This makes me really happy. Great direction for the Village.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 1:31 PM

Nice. I like the look of that brick and the window coverage looks good. I also really like the slanted roofs in the last image.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndoftheBeginning View Post
lol they're letting their kids walk on a sidewalk, the horror!

The sidewalks on almost every major street in town are 2m or less from traffic, how do you think people with kids are supposed to get places?

Ok so I'm being a bit sarcastic. I get what you're thinking. Traffic on osborne can be pretty hostile and anywhere you have fast traffic without parked cars acting as a buffer can be unpleasant and even dangerous. Unfortunately many of our high streets are like this. So maybe we as a city should be asking why our busiest pedestrian areas feel deadly to walk around and look into how we calm the traffic instead of just deciding kids don't belong out in public because there are too many dangerous cars whipping around.

Yet I see idiots on the internet arguing all the time that the parking lanes should be removed on south osborne so they can get their precious cars through faster. God forbid Osborne be a street where you can sit on a patio and enjoy yourself rather than just a traffic artery.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 4:00 PM

^ You are right, it's the absence of the parking lane buffer that can make any high traffic road feel unpleasant for pedestrians. Anyway, I shared that thought just because I found it interesting that my own personal first reaction to that image was to immediately notice the children and proximity to the traffic lane. Maybe it's because they look relatively unsupervised as well. But I'm not a parent, so maybe I shouldn't be commenting.

Anyway, agree with your point about making pedestrian areas feel more pleasant (and safer). Osborne could probably use some help in that regard.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 5:55 PM

The real danger is the bum with the guitar assaulting my ears while I try to sleep after my 12 hour night shift so I can afford the rent in my new Osborne apartment.

A relative has rented forever a shop where this apartment will be built. I guess she gets the boot.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 6:16 PM
surely you agree with me

The terraced option was by far the most popular, but the economics of high-rise construction just don't work unless you are gaining a significant number of units.

The most important part of this development will be the ground floor podium. It is really how you will experience the building most. The nice part is that it is intended to be broken into a number of smaller units. That could be great for the village.

The setback on the sidewalk will not be used for a future road widening but is being enforced to make a wider sidewalk. I feel better about that. The sidewalk will be close to 20 feet wide at the inset parts of this scheme. Would be nice if the city planted some trees.

The computer generated children are as of yet not in the construction contract and will likely not be built.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 6:20 PM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
The terraced option was by far the most popular, but the economics of high-rise construction just don't work unless you are gaining a significant number of units.

The most important part of this development will be the ground floor podium. It is really how you will experience the building most. The nice part is that it is intended to be broken into a number of smaller units. That could be great for the village.

The setback on the sidewalk will not be used for a future road widening but is being enforced to make a wider sidewalk. I feel better about that. The sidewalk will be close to 20 feet wide at the inset parts of this scheme. Would be nice if the city planted some trees.

The computer generated children are as of yet not in the construction contract and will likely not be built.
Classic Winnipeg value engineering....... disgusting.....

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 6:21 PM
surely you agree with me

the ol' bait and switch.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
the ol' bait and switch.
In absence of the convertible where is the Dutch bike?

Instagram

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 6:49 PM
surely you agree with me

you know what. I hadn't thought of that ha ha...from now on!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 9:27 PM

Just imagine Wild Planet closing down to free up more opportunities to redevelop Osborne.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticwolf View Post
Just imagine Wild Planet closing down to free up more opportunities to redevelop Osborne.
The southern end of the proposed building looks pretty plain, I assume in contemplation of something bigger and nicer eventually being built on the Lonely Planet site at which point that view would be hidden.

Lonely Planet might be there for a while, though... doesn't the business owner also own the building?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The southern end of the proposed building looks pretty plain, I assume in contemplation of something bigger and nicer eventually being built on the Lonely Planet site at which point that view would be hidden.

Lonely Planet might be there for a while, though... doesn't the business owner also own the building?
Yes, and when he was approached by the developers of this development he wasn’t interested in selling the property.

Instagram

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan