HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestEndWander View Post
Hahaha gaslighting. Next thing you're going to be calling us all groomers.

Sorry bud, you are what you are. Everyone else on this forum can discuss issues with nuance and solutions. You and the other chud, rrskylar, have nothing of value to contribute ever, aside from not so veiled commentary. Sorry, not sorry, for calling you two out on it.

First nations groups and organizations have taken far more of a lead on solving their homeless issues within the city than any municipal politician has done to this point in time for any group of people. I suggest you educate yourself and realize that the actual first nations themselves have very little power off reserve to do anything more than purchase housing and establish support services for band members in urban areas, which has increased dramatically over the past years in Brandon, Selkirk, Winnipeg, Flin Flon, and Thompson. What have our municipal leaders done? Sweet F.A.

But you wouldn't want to know that as it destroys your whole narrative.
My narrative? My comments have been about Portage place and the problems in surounding areas and nothing else. I never mentioned race at all. Sorry bud but stop your crying and gas lighting.

Quote:
Next thing you're going to be calling us all groomers.
WTF??

Last edited by Luisito; May 26, 2023 at 8:00 PM.

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 9:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
I kind of disagree re Indigenous leaders stepping up. I also see a lot of comments in Winnipeg asking this question.

I think part of the problem is that there is no “leader”. There are groups, organizations, and associations, but they do not speak with one voice. I also think they’re pretty limited in what they can do. Most large scale solutions to problems impacting Indigenous people has to have a Federal component to it. I think the best the city can really do is give Indigenous groups and organizations the opportunity to collaborate on policy addressing poverty.
Fair comment, but more has to be done for those leaving reserves and for those off reserve, sending young adults to the city without supports and who have only known rural life can sometimes lead to some tough consequences.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2023, 3:47 PM

CityNews is reporting that the Manitoba Skateboarding Coalition has announced the opening of Pitikwe Skate Park at Portage Place in what appears to be the former Staples store.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2023, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
CityNews is reporting that the Manitoba Skateboarding Coalition has announced the opening of Pitikwe Skate Park at Portage Place in what appears to be the former Staples store.
until demolition starts?

At some USA malls, they've converted empty department stores into Pickleball courts!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2023, 7:00 PM

This file has been pretty quiet lately... I wonder what if anything is brewing behind the scenes?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2023, 7:32 PM
What could go wrong?

Shared Health currently going through programming with Architecture 49.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 31, 2023, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Shared Health currently going through programming with Architecture 49.
Good to hear. Apparently Bay store redevelopment has begun inside the building as well, so a couple big downtown projects seem to be progressing.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Jul 31, 2023, 9:34 PM

Well at least commencing. Which is certainly a reassuring sign.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 1:10 PM

from FreePress Jul. 27, 2023

On the outside, it may appear to be an old, sleeping giant. However, inside the former downtown Winnipeg flagship Hudson’s Bay Co. department store is a hive of activity and awakening opportunities, as its redevelopment begins.

“Work has started,” said Jerry Daniels, grand chief of the Southern Chiefs’ Organization redeveloping the 655,000-square-foot, century-old landmark at Portage Avenue and Memorial Boulevard.

It was gifted to the 34 Manitoba First Nations by the retailer at a ceremony attended by the prime minister, premier and mayor in April 2022.

Crew leader Arron Lavis jokingly looks for his photo in the “book of shame” found at the former Bay building, a 1970s-era photo album of people banned for life from the store for shoplifting.

“We’re prepared to move forward,” Daniels said Thursday of the project called Wehwehneh Bahgahkinahgohn (“it is visible” in Ojibwa).

It will include more than 300 affordable housing units, assisted living for Indigenous elders, as well as businesses, restaurants and cultural spaces.

The SCO awarded the main contract to PCL Construction, based on a point system that includes cost, compatibility with the First Nations and their team, and its commitment to involve Indigenous people throughout the project.

“Our team were comfortable with them,” Daniels said.

The preliminary work underway is being done by BUILD Inc. (Building Urban Industries for Local Development), a non-profit contractor and training program for people who face barriers to employment.

It is clearing the decks for PCL.

“The top two floors were packed wall to wall to wall to wall with clothing displays and sunglasses racks,” said Sean Hogan, BUILD executive director.

The crew of 15, including nine trainees, has been at the site for nearly seven weeks, sorting and disposing of stuff HBC left behind — including an army of mannequins and some unexpected finds, such as the “book of shame,” a 1970s-era photo album of people banned for life from the store for shoplifting.

“I’ve got to be in here,” BUILD crew leader Arron Lavis said half-jokingly, leafing through the album on a break.

Lavis said he was 13 when he was banned. After a troubled youth and “really bad criminal history” that was a barrier to him getting hired anywhere 20 years later, he got a break from BUILD.

“When I applied, I was still under house arrest,” he recalled. “I needed something. I couldn’t go back to the system.”

Eight years later, the 50-year-old is now a trainer at BUILD and is soon to be wed. “I’ve got the will to live.”

By removing barriers to employment, people who’ve been excluded from the economy can rejoin it and prosper, said Hogan. “Our philosophy is if you don’t give someone a seat at the campfire, they will burn down the teepee.”

BUILD expects to have the place emptied top to bottom by Sept. 14.

The workers are sorting the material by stuff that can be reused, and into bins for metal and wood waste.

“There’s a heavy waste-diversion element to this job, so we’re not being overbearing on the environment,” Hogan said. “We have just started doing minor demolition prep work for the general contractor to come in after us and do the major transformation.”

None of BUILD’s work will involve anything hazardous, such as asbestos removal, Hogan said. “There are some elements that need to be taken care of by remediation companies.”

All but one member of the BUILD crew at the site of the former HBC store (a company built on centuries of fur trade and colonialism) are Indigenous, Hogan noted.

“A job like this, which is on land that has a really uncomfortable and painful history for a lot of Indigenous people, becoming an economic tool for the Indigenous people working in this building is quite powerful.”

The crew of 15, including nine trainees, has been at the site for nearly seven weeks, sorting and disposing of stuff HBC left behind.

That’s not lost on trainee Dylan Anderson.

“I think it’s very interesting we get to be part of this project,” said the 28-year-old member of Fairford First Nation who left school before graduating.

There’s also some nostalgia, said Anderson, who recalled shopping at the Zellers closing-out sale in basement of the Bay in 2020. He said he never could’ve guessed he’d set foot in the building again, or that it might play into his future.

“I plan on getting my foot in the door in the construction industry and learn as much as I can and go back to school and pursue a trade,” Anderson said.

His goal is part of the SCO’s vision for the project, and why it was happy to get Winnipeg-based BUILD on board, Daniels said. “They create training opportunities and their vision aligns with us.”

The “soft opening” for Wehwehneh Bahgahkinahgohn is late 2026, the grand chief said. SCO had initially targeted a 2025 grand opening.

Daniels expects the cost of the entire project (originally estimated at $130 million) is now closer to $160-180 million.

The three levels of government are putting money into the redevelopment: $65 million from Ottawa; $35 million from the province (which includes $10 million for the housing component and $25 million for historic preservation); the City of Winnipeg will provide tax incentives.

Daniels said he’s not concerned increased costs will potentially stall the housing, education and daycare project expected to breathe new life into Winnipeg’s dormant downtown.

“In any major city, you’ve got to have people living downtown, and there’s a huge demand for housing projects like this,” Daniels said.

“The impact of this place is going to be phenomenal. There will be 500 people downtown, with students and elders. It creates a lot of vibrancy.”

The SCO is seeking to partner with its downtown neighbours on various initiatives.

“We have a clear, well-thought-out process that gives government a lot of confidence that we’re able to do a large-scale development within reason,” Daniels said.

The project is being managed by one of the biggest construction companies in Manitoba and “we’ve got a great team that we were able to pull together,” he added.

“Those involved in the construction industry, in government and financial contributors are aware of that. They want to be a part of it. I have no doubt the federal and provincial governments and the city want this to succeed.”

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 3:41 PM

I was in Portage Place Mall a few days ago and noticed these renderings and site plans displayed in the window of a vacant store. Not sure if you folks have seen these already.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 3:51 PM

It looks too good to be true so I’ll withhold my boner for now

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
It looks too good to be true so I’ll withhold my boner for now
If it was anyone other than TNSE I might agree that it's too good to be true, but they seem to have a way of getting things done that, IMO, but them in a class above companies like Starlight and Fortress that we've seen make huge promises and then disappear.

Also, I'm so old I remember when "boner" meant mistake. "He sure pulled a boner there..." was a common saying. Times change.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 6:43 PM

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
If it was anyone other than TNSE I might agree that it's too good to be true, but they seem to have a way of getting things done that, IMO, but them in a class above companies like Starlight and Fortress that we've seen make huge promises and then disappear.

Also, I'm so old I remember when "boner" meant mistake. "He sure pulled a boner there..." was a common saying. Times change.
TNSE has a good track record and there's lots of gov't funding behind it, I see no reason this wouldn't be delivered as promised.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
TNSE has a good track record and there's lots of gov't funding behind it, I see no reason this wouldn't be delivered as promised.
The renderings match what was delivered for True North Square, at least at a glance. I hope this will be similar.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post
I was in Portage Place Mall a few days ago and noticed these renderings and site plans displayed in the window of a vacant store. Not sure if you folks have seen these already.

My curiosity is that the up close renderings & large photos show the east side on Carlton but never midpoint or Vaughan street side end of redevelopment.

Last edited by BAKGUY; Aug 2, 2023 at 4:51 PM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 4:00 PM

I'd say the fat TNSE came out publicly with the information regarding the mall, there is a strong possibility of it going ahead. They don't say ANYTHING, until they are absolutely sure.

Also the fact they name Pan Am Clinic, and all the work that goes into that part of the project. And show renders of what that would look like.

Given True North Square is essentially wrapping up (sans Sutton Place), their next development play here looks to be coming along nicely.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 6:46 PM

I’ve lived here too long to give up my skepticism completely

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
I’ve lived here too long to give up my skepticism completely
Put a hold on that boner for a little while longer....

Old Posted Aug 3, 2023, 3:12 PM

haha hey me too. But TNSE has seemingly pulled through on most everything tehy announce.

I could see PP go in stages. The Pan Am and of the mall stage 1. Get things started. Then move on to the rest of the mall over the next number of years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan