HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
There is never a real argument to 'defund the police'. It's 'reform the police'. They need accountability. Get rid of the union. Actually serve the people. Instead of dumping copious amounts of cash due to fear mongering, dump the cash into social programs to actually prevent crime, not react to it. Winnipeg has just dumped cash at the Police and look where we are. Now they need never ending raises. They are over budget again and we'll just pay the bill for it?
Bingo

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 6:25 AM

Quote:
There is never a real argument to 'defund the police'. It's 'reform the police'. They need accountability. Get rid of the union. Actually serve the people. Instead of dumping copious amounts of cash due to fear mongering, dump the cash into social programs to actually prevent crime, not react to it. Winnipeg has just dumped cash at the Police and look where we are. Now they need never ending raises. They are over budget again and we'll just pay the bill for it?
Completely agree. I just brought it up as a thought experiment for those who claim taxes don't pay for anything.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Hahahah is this guy really trying to make the case that people who abuse themselves and cost the system should have to pay LESS into the system? Get out of here buddy.
I’ll stay right where I am thanks… you can dismiss what I said all you want, doesn’t stop me from being right. There are people in Canada paying over half their incomes in tax. And Because of the excessive taxation on the cost of cigarettes, alcohol. people have turned to cheaper alternatives like black market cigarettes. Benefitting… who? Organized crime, that’s who. And what’s the government doing to stop the black market for cigarettes?? Nothing. Yup, the Canadian government literally helped create an illegal industry by over taxation. Are the illegal cigarette peddler’s paying their share into the healtcare system?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post
Someone who makes $35,000 a year only pays 21% income tax in Manitoba. Plus, at that income bracket depending on their situation in life, they are likely getting a significant chunk of that back through some sort of government transfer like CCB payments.

Also, people who make $35k and are struggling probably should think twice about smoking and liquor if they can't handle the cost. Carrying the costs of a vehicle on that income is also very onerous, which is why public transit exists in urban centres.

As for the property tax, if someone is a single-earning household at $35k/yr and owns a house that's worth around $300,000 (the equivalent of $3k/yr property tax), they are doing very well for themselves. Most people making $17 an hour and living alone in this city are renters, not home owners living in average neighborhoods.

Your example doesn't really make me feel sorry for this "fictitious" person who can apparently own their own house and car, and afford regular vices, while still having half their income after tax.
Lol. “They don’t pay 1/4… it’s ONLY 21%” HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That makes it so much better.

When youre paying $15 in tax plus pst and gst on a pack of smokes every day.
That’s over $5000 a year in extra tax. So if you made $35000 roughly a quarter is taxed 8750 now add $3000 for property tax, 12% of you car insurance premium is taxes, so say $200, $5400 for cigarette taxes, average person probably spends $1200 on gst pst, other taxes like import duties and environmental fees $200 a year, don’t forget gas… there’s 43 cents a litre so like $600 a year… entertainment taxes, garbage fees. Anything else?

Then There’s generational wealth, and people inherit property.

If you live in lac du bonnet… what public transportation do you recommend someone use?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 1:55 PM
the first stamp is free

^ what is up with your obsession with smokes?

I think the percentage of Canadians that are regular smokers is down to about 10% nationally. Your fictitious $35k a year earner, homeowner and smoker does not represent about 90% of the population.

$35k a year earner and homeowner would be rare enough.

OK - I have made up my mind. This person doesn't actually exist.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ what is up with your obsession with smokes?

I think the percentage of Canadians that are regular smokers is down to about 10% nationally. Your fictitious $35k a year earner, homeowner and smoker does not represent about 90% of the population.

$35k a year earner and homeowner would be rare enough.

OK - I have made up my mind. This person doesn't actually exist.
You’re like a kid putting their fingers in their ears going “nananananana”

20 percent of Manitobans aged 15 and older smoke… probably 3/4 of Manitobans declaring incomes earn less than $45,000 a year. With most earning under$40,000. These people are all around you. They deliver bread, they cash you out at Costco, they cook for your grandma in her care home, they water the plants at the mall,

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post

20 percent of Manitobans aged 15 and older smoke… probably 3/4 of Manitobans declaring incomes earn less than $45,000 a year. With most earning under$40,000. These people are all around you. They deliver bread, they cash you out at Costco, they cook for your grandma in her care home, they water the plants at the mall,
And they choose to spend their money on cigarettes.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post

Dude, it's clear you are just making stuff up and pulling random numbers out of thin air to try and prove a point.
If you are coming here looking for sympathy for low-income households who spend large amounts of money (and apparently tax dollars) on smoking, alcohol, and car insurance, I think you've come to the wrong place. Just like nobody feels sorry for the dude with a $1,000 lease payment on a jacked-up F-150 or brand new BMW, nobody feels sorry for the dude who spends $1,000/month on booze and cigs either.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 3:12 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
I once said on twitter that I didn't like the term 'defund the police' because it is polarizing and doesn't allow a reasoned and nuanced discussion about police reform.

I got torn a new one.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
And they choose to spend their money on cigarettes.
Like idiots

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 4:44 PM
What could go wrong?

“There are in nature neither rewards nor punishments — there are consequences.” — Robert G. Ingersoll
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 6:08 PM

And now for something completely different, We talk about Construction in WInnipeg..preferably skyscrapers? How about that?
I shall begin......Any new details on the redesigned propsal for a 40 ish floor residential tower on the Smith Street site ?
Any news on an unlikely remodel of the proposal by Canad Inns for $150 million on Somerset block & Radissson?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 6:15 PM

How bout the old Canada Bread factory site at Burnell and Portage? It’s been forever since anything has happened at that site, last thing was a heap of shoring forms were dropped off and they’re still piled there rotting away.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 6:24 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Your argument is that someone is paying too much tax, but also smokes a pack a day and now apparently drinks a lot..?

I dunno. Maybe find another method to prove your point.
last september i had an anomaly and made around 14k in a month i only saw 5k witch is only 500$ more then if i workd 40hrs a week that month how the hell is that fair...........

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 7:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Winnipeg police and fire salaries are out of whack with the average salaries of everyone else living here, you can't pay police and fire salaries at the same rate they make in Vancouver or Toronto which is what they do now.

When police and fire salaries are way above what most with real degrees that didn't just require attending psychology classes make on average there is a problem!

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
last september i had an anomaly and made around 14k in a month i only saw 5k witch is only 500$ more then if i workd 40hrs a week that month how the hell is that fair...........
But you are taxed on your whole year's earnings. So if your earnings in other months is much lower you will get a fat refund when you do your taxes. It's the same with seasonal work.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 8:40 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
But you are taxed on your whole year's earnings. So if your earnings in other months is much lower you will get a fat refund when you do your taxes. It's the same with seasonal work.
not always

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
And now for something completely different, We talk about Construction in WInnipeg..preferably skyscrapers? How about that?
I shall begin......Any new details on the redesigned propsal for a 40 ish floor residential tower on the Smith Street site ?
Any news on an unlikely remodel of the proposal by Canad Inns for $150 million on Somerset block & Radissson?
Also...any news on the downtown Bay building? The Market Lands? Any new lemonade stands anywhere? Hm? Construction?

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Also...any news on the downtown Bay building? The Market Lands? Any new lemonade stands anywhere? Hm? Construction?
Following this! From 0 notable road construction to not many updates on these building projects. I want to know as well! Why would the city say it’s record spending on road construction when it clearly is not. Or else the main routes in the city would get attention. Stop lying ..

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 12:30 AM

Cereals Canada celebrates milestone

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...576680962.html

Quote:
“We were state of the art in 1972,” Dias said. “We want to be state of the art moving forward as well.”

He’s scouting an energy-efficient building downtown — one that can accommodate Cereals Canada’s current offerings, plus more, like a space for plant protein testing.

“We need to be more versatile and more flexible on all the new products that are coming out,” Dias said.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan