HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
Aren't they franchises, maybe its just a local thing because of the economy, is this happening in other cities.
Winnipegs has a few under construction/or already opened up. they are franchises, i think i read in that thread that there is 1 owner for 3 of them? 2 for sure...

i didnt know kensington was getting a browns, i was under the impression that Lawson mall/rosewood by RBC were the next locations. or are there 3 additional ones now ?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
Winnipegs has a few under construction/or already opened up. they are franchises, i think i read in that thread that there is 1 owner for 3 of them? 2 for sure...

i didnt know kensington was getting a browns, i was under the impression that Lawson mall/rosewood by RBC were the next locations. or are there 3 additional ones now ?
There's a sign saying Conexus and Browns. The Conexus has been open for a while. The Browns building is right beside Conexus and is fully constructed just no furnishings or finishes inside. You'd assume if they were opening they'd have gotten it done over the winter so they could open for spring/summer. I'd love to be wrong as I was looking forward to the Browns walking distance to my place but not looking likely.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 3:30 AM

That's such a cool skyline especially for a smaller city. I've never been Saskatoon. It would be fun to take a trip sometime.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 3:42 PM

Quote:
because people here prefer to drive themselves everywhere. im guilty of it myself, not intentionally but it just happens. 6 of us go to the rush game or some pub/place to eat, we all drive in seperate cars, depending on the friend, ill pick them up or vise versa, but even some of my friends/acquaintances, its still " ill meet you there" type talk.

speaking for sasktel centre-- if we used the school busses that we used for garth brooks last summer, id utilize that also. or implement some park and ride system.

people here are just lazy altogether ( not pointing at you folks ). no one wants to walk/ride bikes/transit except a tiny fraction because its too hard or far our city was and will forever be built on driving cars, its not changing anytime soon
I don't believe that. I think that if buses were a relatively hassle free, convenient option more would take them to events. But they're not even offered. What you need is a bus only loop that drops people off at the arena and a pick-up area where it is easy to find/load your bus back to your stop.

Ridership in Regina isn't much different than in Saskatoon. I guarantee you that a lot of people who take the football express only get on a bus going to and from Rider games.

It's easy to say that people won't take them, but if it's a better option, they will.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 4:43 PM

City buses do run to the Rush games and, judging by the mass of people on them leaving last week'd game, they are certainly getting used. They use dedicated lanes once near Sasktel Centre, which is where most of the wait is experienced getting in and out of the games. So the service is there, though I can't comment on whether or not there would be more buses used if offered or even if they are full to capacity on the way into the games. I'll watch them carefully at tonight's game while walking to the arena from where I parked my car.

That being said, I do agree with Mitchelk12's post. We're still a driving society here. Since getting my drivers license over 35 years ago, I've taken a regularly scheduled City bus exactly one time, and that was to go pick up my car from the repair shop 30 years ago. I'll take them for special events, but not as a regular way of getting from point A to point B. I enjoy the flexibility to go where I want when I want, plus I really enjoy driving. There are also work and home locations that make the bus impractical for me, but even without those, I'd likely be driving.

It's changing, but slowly and will take time and changing attitudes. Younger people are generally more socially responsible, but until traffic makes mass transit more convenient than driving (like the Skytrain from Vancouver airport to downtown), I believe private vehicles will still be the first choice for most Saskatoonians.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 10:53 PM

STC is probably looking to sell some buses..
maybe if SaskTel Centre/Rush bought some of these buses at a good deal and used them as Rider buses in off season or for service for concerts maybe that would help.
The thing is if these same buses are caught in traffic along side cars in the same gridlock at SaskTel Centre, what's the benefit to people that are making the extra effort to take transit.
Same with regular city transit in Saskatoon, for someone to take daily transit to & from work in Northend Industrial where Saskatoon transit is less than convenient to say the least (hour & a half each-way to commute). Who is this really benefitting? just helps regular commuters in cars to get to work quicker.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2017, 11:06 PM

Looks like there is a new art display (possibly a promotion) going up downtown on the grass just in front of the Broadway Bridge. Bunch of crates with signs on them that advertise the Bess and new developments.

Probably temporary, but nice to see something new downtown.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
This is a great read on what has revitalized American cities in the past 5 years - and boy have they revitalized, in Chicago alone 300,000 jobs moved downtown in the last 5 years, mainly thanks to corporations moving out of their small town offices. Things in the large centers usually happen 5-10 before centers like Saskatoon so maybe there's an opportunity for Saskatoon here. https://www.wsj.com/articles/chicago...sla=y&mod=e2fb

Bourgault I'm looking at you to come to Saskatoon.
Don't hold your breath on that one. Bourgault have a small engineering office in Saskatoon, rest is in St Brieux. Bourgault have gone virtual desktops so now a lot of office staff can work anywhere even from around the World. No need for a large "Corporate" office anymore.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 4:15 PM
Saskatoon

I took a bus downtown from a Rush game last year. (we carpooled there and got dropped off at the Tim's to avoid the crush.) It was pretty quick leaving the rink and only jammed up because of all the other people who were trying to get downtown in their single occupancy vehicles. The buses were full, and we could have a beer or two at the game knowing we didn't have to drive. I also take buses from the Ex when we decide to go.

I drive a lot but it's only because of the infrastructure - I can't afford to live on a good bus route for me or near my work (I work in the north industrial). With the slow down in the economy I can drive to work across the circle north bridge in less than 15 minutes now, compared to 25 in 2012-14. Still an hour on the bus, though. I'm mid 30s and there are lots of people in my cohort who would change their habits if there was better infrastructure to support it.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
I took a bus downtown from a Rush game last year. (we carpooled there and got dropped off at the Tim's to avoid the crush.) It was pretty quick leaving the rink and only jammed up because of all the other people who were trying to get downtown in their single occupancy vehicles. The buses were full, and we could have a beer or two at the game knowing we didn't have to drive. I also take buses from the Ex when we decide to go.

I drive a lot but it's only because of the infrastructure - I can't afford to live on a good bus route for me or near my work (I work in the north industrial). With the slow down in the economy I can drive to work across the circle north bridge in less than 15 minutes now, compared to 25 in 2012-14. Still an hour on the bus, though. I'm mid 30s and there are lots of people in my cohort who would change their habits if there was better infrastructure to support it.

the 2 times i took the bus to north end canarama- eastview....took 50 minutes. which took way too long for a usual 15 minute drive. I can ride my bike using our trail system and get that distance in the same amount of time without the waiting period. ill take the bike ride anyway, its more fun anyways.

so for me, the issue is standing there and waiting. i think thats the same for everyone else too? will the BRT change that mindset much ? i know not for me.....

I was talking to my sisters bf over easter, we both came to a conclusion that if we were to make a switch in transit areas, and get people onto something different, something would have to stop us dead in our tracks in to make a good portion of us use an alternative transit solution.

speaking of biking, if people actually knew how easy and quick it was to bike around, i think they would use that option as well. we have an excellent trail system thats fun to ride too!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 6:37 PM
Registered Geek

Anyone know what is going on the pad across from the Tim Horton's at Lawson Heights Mall?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCricket View Post
Anyone know what is going on the pad across from the Tim Horton's at Lawson Heights Mall?
Brown's Social House I believe

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Brown's Social House I believe
isnt that on the corner of warman rd/primrose, at the far end of the lot on the old target side. thought that "almost finished" building was the Browns? or is that something else.

im curious also on what that new fenced off lot is by tims.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 1:17 PM

Quote:
the 2 times i took the bus to north end canarama- eastview....took 50 minutes. which took way too long for a usual 15 minute drive. I can ride my bike using our trail system and get that distance in the same amount of time without the waiting period. ill take the bike ride anyway, its more fun anyways.

so for me, the issue is standing there and waiting. i think thats the same for everyone else too? will the BRT change that mindset much ? i know not for me.....

I was talking to my sisters bf over easter, we both came to a conclusion that if we were to make a switch in transit areas, and get people onto something different, something would have to stop us dead in our tracks in to make a good portion of us use an alternative transit solution.

speaking of biking, if people actually knew how easy and quick it was to bike around, i think they would use that option as well. we have an excellent trail system thats fun to ride too!
Something else to think about is that a lot more areas of Saskatoon now aren't safe to be out alone particularly at night and not just West side, I know of people that have been robbed & beat up on East side. University students and people along Broadway, 8th street & Central Ave aren't safe anymore. There's nothing police can do about the spread of these crimes, but it makes more sense safety-wise to simply try not to be a statistic and drive where possible.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
Something else to think about is that a lot more areas of Saskatoon now aren't safe to be out alone particularly at night and not just West side, I know of people that have been robbed & beat up on East side. University students and people along Broadway, 8th street & Central Ave aren't safe anymore. There's nothing police can do about the spread of these crimes, but it makes more sense safety-wise to simply try not to be a statistic and drive where possible.
This is fear mongering at its worst. Saskatoon is statistically the safest it's been in over 50 years. Crime has been on a downward trend for over 25 years.

I lived in the city for nearly 10 years, took transit daily, and never had a single issue with crime. Same goes for my entire social circle.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 2:18 PM

No problems here either, better than a lot of places i have been to in Canada.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 2:32 PM
Saskatoon

Also, with the new GPS tracking, I just go out about 2 minutes before the bus app tells me my bus will show up, it's really handy. Sometimes you get an untracked bus, but it's 90% less waiting than I did before, when you'd go out 15 minutes early and the bus would end up being 15 minutes late.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
This is fear mongering at its worst. Saskatoon is statistically the safest it's been in over 50 years. Crime has been on a downward trend for over 25 years.

I lived in the city for nearly 10 years, took transit daily, and never had a single issue with crime. Same goes for my entire social circle.
I wish you at least another 10 years of no incidents, but statistics suggest an upward trend whether you know it or not & at 8500 incidents per 100,000 people in Saskatoon last year alone, you are on the lucky side of that average. best wishes

http://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/saskatoo...ital-1.2995132

Quote:
Saskatoon remains Canada’s crime capital..
..Saskatoon’s crime rate and crime severity index each increased by two per cent over the 2014 numbers, while Regina’s increased by three per cent and five per cent..

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post

Let me guess what side of the River you live on.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 8:06 PM

Mods, as this really has little to do with construction, feel free to move this whole discussion to Western Expresso or somewhere more fitting, but since it's here, this is where I'll post.

"Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics" seems to ring true again. Looking at some numbers, I'm not really sure what to believe, but I would agree with jigglysquishly's assertion that crime is continuing to trend down.

The CTV News report linked by Saskscraper reports a 2015 crime rate of 8,427 per 100K and says that it's up 2 percent from 2014.

A City of Saskatoon webpage shows 6 years of generally decreasing crime rates, with a 2015 rate of 9,141, down from 9,209 in 2014. Link here:
https://www.saskatoon.ca/city-hall/o...fe/crime-rates

Then I stumbled across a Govt of Canada website containing a pretty thorough report from 2005, compiled by Juristat - Canadian Centre for Justice Statistics. Page 18 of that report shows a Saskatoon crime rate of 13,236 per 100K. Clik on "continue to PDF" in the following link:
http://publications.gc.ca/Collection...XIE2006004.pdf

So, regardless of the whether you use the CTV or CoS values for 2015, it would appear to be a pretty big drop from 2005.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan