HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 29, 2023, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKB View Post
Esquire, you are the general in the army of critics.

Road projects (when they're reasonable): ✅
Transit projects: ✅
AT projects: ✅
Open Portage and Main: ✅

I am probably more YES than 99% of Winnipeggers when it comes to transportation infrastructure and related projects. I'm the one fed up with people slamming every idea anyone ever has to improve how people live and get around this town.

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 1:13 PM
BANNED

Took me about 45 minutes to go down Marion from Lag. to Tache yesterday, train and then construction on Marion which was one skid steer scraping asphalt….

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Took me about 45 minutes to go down Marion from Lag. to Tache yesterday, train and then construction on Marion which was one skid steer scraping asphalt….
I can’t believe they’re stopping at traverse and not continuing to Tache or even St. Mary’s Road, that section is equally as bad in the curb lanes..

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 3:11 PM
What could go wrong?

Even though I live in the NE area of the city, I try to avoid taking Lagimodiere (NB) in the afternoon rush hour. Yesterday I had to travel it just after 3 pm and it was a fucking parking lot between Maginot and Springfield Rd. The areas between Maginot and Regent and Concordia and Chief Peguis were completely stop and go traffic. Improvements are definitely overdue.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Even though I live in the NE area of the city, I try to avoid taking Lagimodiere (NB) in the afternoon rush hour. Yesterday I had to travel it just after 3 pm and it was a fucking parking lot between Maginot and Springfield Rd. The areas between Maginot and Regent and Concordia and Chief Peguis were completely stop and go traffic. Improvements are definitely overdue.
I seldom take Lagimodiere but my kid wanted to golf at Harborview last week so we took a drive. It is brutal. One of the last remaining strips where you could get up to speed near Springs church now has a light that turns red seemingly every minute so that the one car turning out of the new Co-op doesn't have to wait too long. I think I hit every red light possible along the way. Needless to say I won't be doing that again on a weeknight.

Given the traffic volumes, it is beyond me how the stretches from Marion (well, realistically from Fermor) to Regent, and then from Reenders to Springfield are still only 4 lanes.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 3:21 PM
What could go wrong?

If people are really against the $500m for the proposed Kenaston widening project, I would gladly take it for some improvements to Lagimodiere. Other than some new signalized intersections there haven't been any significant upgrades for 50 or so years.

$500m could really alleviate some of the key bottlenecks to an actual trucking route and industrial corridor.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 3:54 PM
the first stamp is free

It amazes me that with traffic so seemingly terrible in Winnipeg that property values in the core areas of the city remain so depressed.

People obviously have made a choice - live and exist with the traffic towards the outskirts of the city (i.e. newer house, usually bigger yard, "safer") or buy a house in Wolseley or the West End or other central areas (i.e. older house, smaller yard, "sketchy").

My house in Wolseley should be worth at least double what it is - but people are so jaded with inner city areas here that it remains attainable to me as a middle class family. I'll take it, but the inverse should be true. I should be priced towards the outskirts, and the upper middle class and rich folks should be populating Wolseley.

Or maybe traffic is annoying, but not so annoying -yet - for most of my fellow Winnipeggers to ever consider my hood.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 4:06 PM

^ I agree with your general comments, although I would argue that Wolseley is definitely among the desirable inner city neighbourhoods. Others that come to mind are Crescentwood, Armstrong's Point and North River Heights, probably the most archetypal wealthy inner city areas. Old St. Boniface and Norwood Flats are up there too. Riverview qualifies. So there are some of those types of central neighbourhoods that have middle class appeal, although most aren't as central as Wolseley. But they are outweighed by huge areas that are basically a no-go zone for the city's middle classes... the West End, the North End, Point Douglas, much of Elmwood, and of course much of downtown itself.

I remember when values started rising noticeably in the mid 2000s that I thought it would lead to a resurgence in inner city areas like the West End as suburban areas became unattainable to many. But developers have responded with so much new product in the suburbs such that inner city neighbourhoods aren't a whole lot better off than they were 20 years ago. In fact, it's hard to think of any inner city neighbourhoods that have really changed or gentrified in any meaningful way over the last 20 years. Maybe the East Exchange? But that's tiny. What was nice in 1999 is still generally nice, what was run down in 1999 is probably even worse today. Apparently people aren't quite sick of traffic enough to start moving into the centre of the city en masse.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 4:17 PM

I agree Drew. Wolseley, West Broadway, the West End and Corydon/Osborne should be amongst some of the most expensive real estate in the city. I think the fact that it isn’t kind of shows how much of a non issue traffic congestion really is in this city. Sure, there are bad patches, but when you look at the bigger picture of congestion in cities, Winnipeg’s traffic is not bad.

Edit: I’m really sympathetic of poorer or lower middle class people in other Canadian cities that have been pushed out to the far suburbs and have to deal with brutal commute times and bad transit service. In other words I’m not trying to be dismissive. I do think that traffic and congestion can be important issues for cities, I just don’t see it as one in Winnipeg yet.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
I agree Drew. Wolseley, West Broadway, the West End and Corydon/Osborne should be amongst some of the most expensive real estate in the city. I think the fact that it isn’t kind of shows how much of a non issue traffic congestion really is in this city. Sure, there are bad patches, but when you look at the bigger picture of congestion in cities, Winnipeg’s traffic is not bad.
Winnipeg's traffic is probably not terrible in general, but it is at the breaking point in many places around rush hour (rush hour defined as, say, 7:30-9:30 am and 3:30-6:30 pm). Hence the need for things like Kenaston widening. And the incredible amount of construction happening right now certainly doesn't help.

I always thought the northern suburbs up Main Street were underrated in that regard. Traffic never seems to back up going that way. Main is wide and doesn't have any bridge/railway bottlenecks like everywhere in the southern half of the city. If you live in West K and drive, you are probably home every day in under 15 minutes no matter what.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 4:25 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I agree with your general comments, although I would argue that Wolseley is definitely among the desirable inner city neighbourhoods. Others that come to mind are Crescentwood, Armstrong's Point and North River Heights,
Out my growing up in Charleswood friend group - not a one would EVER consider for a second living in Wolseley.

Crescentwood and River Heights are all separated from the "sketch" by the Assiniboine - which is part of the reason they have gentrified so starkly compared to West Broadway, Wolseley or even Armstong's Point. But with that river buffer comes bridges and an extra layer of traffic that the West End/Wolseley and points north don't deal with.

Which kind of brings me back to my point - traffic and how we deal with it in our lives in Winnipeg is still a choice - and will remain that way IMO until the core areas are priced out of the reach when people go to shop for a place to live.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 5:09 PM
What could go wrong?

I generally don't have an issue with traffic in my area, to get to downtown, east or west. It is specifically Lagimodiere that has been built up so much with no corresponding improvements.

The main issue is the "T" boning routes that connect to it. Specifically Marion and Chief Peguis. You get the full capacity of those roads funneling traffic on Lagimodiere which now has to carry all of the capacity with no upgrades. If either of those routes connected to Dugald and Grassie/Plessis respectively it would enhance flow greatly. Terrible foresight and design.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 5:29 PM

The Panet connection between Marion and Dugald really should be a lot better than it is. The whole Panet/Dawson/Marion intersection is goofy as all hell, it's disappointing to me that there isn't more sweeping change proposed in the Moving on Marion plan

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audie View Post
The Panet connection between Marion and Dugald really should be a lot better than it is. The whole Panet/Dawson/Marion intersection is goofy as all hell, it's disappointing to me that there isn't more sweeping change proposed in the Moving on Marion plan
YES!!! Close Marion at Lag. Build up Marion to Panet to Dugald.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2023, 1:14 PM

I do not understand why the City doesn't do this. They proposed that exact thing as a 6 lane road in the previous study.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2023, 1:15 PM

Not sure if this was posted here yet.

https://news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.ht...ted=2023-06-01

June 1, 2023
MANITOBA GOVERNMENT COMMITS FUNDING TO CITY OF WINNIPEG FOR SHARED TRANSPORTATION PRIORITY
– – –
$700,000 for Planning, Design Work on Kenaston Boulevard: Premier

The City is conducting another design study for Kenaston. Can provide your opinions on the current proposal. Likely fall on deaf ears, but at least let them hear it.

Also funny how this is the Premiers local route to her home, so of course it gets attention lol.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
If people are really against the $500m for the proposed Kenaston widening project, I would gladly take it for some improvements to Lagimodiere. Other than some new signalized intersections there haven't been any significant upgrades for 50 or so years.

$500m could really alleviate some of the key bottlenecks to an actual trucking route and industrial corridor.
That would be a much better use of the money.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 2:57 PM
What could go wrong?

Say what you will regarding Kenaston or Chief Peguis extension being worth it etc, etc...Mayor Gillingham is delivering so far on what he campaigned on. Bowman never got a sniff from the Province on any of this.

"MANITOBA GOVERNMENT COMMITS FUNDING TO CITY OF WINNIPEG FOR SECOND SHARED TRANSPORTATION PRIORITY
- - -
$700,000 for Feasibility Study, Planning on Chief Peguis Trail Extension: Premier

The Manitoba government continues to invest in critical infrastructure projects to promote new commercial and residential development, and position the province as a strategic transportation hub, Premier Heather Stefanson and Municipal Relations Minister Andrew Smith announced today.

“Chief Peguis Trail is a key roadway that connects communities and economic development opportunities within the City of Winnipeg and the province as a whole,” said Stefanson. “This is why we are working collaboratively with the City of Winnipeg to advance this project and unlock growth and development in the area, for the benefit of all Manitobans.”

The $700,000 investment represents 50 per cent of the City of Winnipeg’s identified costs for the project’s next phase, which includes conducting a feasibility study.

“This extension is incredibly important for the City of Winnipeg and for those who travel between the east and west side of the city,” said Smith. “Expanding Chief Peguis Trail will be more convenient for residents and will be good for the economy.”

Budget 2023 increased the Strategic Municipal Investment Fund’s allocation to the City of Winnipeg by 19 per cent to $89.8 million, to support more capital projects, Smith added.

“This important trade route project has been on the books for 50 years and population growth in the northwest corner of the city has exploded over that time,” said Mayor Scott Gillingham, City of Winnipeg. “I know area residents are eager to get this extension moving, as it will remove heavy trucks from residential neighbourhoods, add significant new bike and pedestrian paths to the area, and open up land for much-needed new housing within the city of Winnipeg.”

Under the terms of the Strategic Municipal Investment Fund, the City of Winnipeg must send a formal request to the Manitoba government to prioritize this funding.

The Manitoba government recently increased comprehensive funding support to all 137 municipalities to address operating and capital priorities critical to maintaining healthy, sustainable communities through the fund.

Budget 2023 provides $160 million in infrastructure basket funding for all municipalities, an increase of $23.4 million from last year. The basket funding model reduces red tape and provides municipalities with flexibility to invest in strategic infrastructure projects that address local needs, the minister said."

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 3:14 PM

It's election time. The PC's are promising a lot right now just like the NDP did before tehy lost power.

Why is Chief Peguis under going another design study? It's a cheap way for government to look like they're doing things.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 3:16 PM

I think I'm coming around to the idea of Chief Peguis extension. With continued growth in North Winnipeg, it makes sense to get ahead of the emerging need for an improved road network instead of playing catch-up as Winnipeg typically does.

And yeah, good on Gillingham for actually delivering. I get the impression he has a more serious Mayor's Office with staff who are adept at navigating the corridors of power and getting things done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
It's election time. The PC's are promising a lot right now just like the NDP did before tehy lost power.

Why is Chief Peguis under going another design study? It's a cheap way for government to look like they're doing things.
There is some of that for sure. But the extension is more or less inevitable and this work will shape whatever eventually gets built even if the timelines are delayed. At least the wheels are turning, so to speak.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan