HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 6:23 AM
Only Mostly Dead

I took my daughter to work today and she shot this photo as we approached the city. Unfortunately, you can only see bits of the newer buildings, but not bad I'd say:

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 6:49 AM
Green Berniecrat

Not bad at all p.g.

She caught pretty much the entire skyline

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 6:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
I took my daughter to work today and she shot this photo as we approached the city. Unfortunately, you can only see bits of the newer buildings, but not bad I'd say:
Hey, your daughter's photo is here too! That's wonderful! She also captured the same group of buildings from One Rincon to the Transamerica Pyramid. Great job! Great photo! Congratulations!

Rather than reposting my daughter's rather large photo here, you can see it again if you go to back to page 61, Post #1222 of this thread. I think your daughter deserves the spotlight this time. My daughter turned 4 last December, and took her photo last February. May I ask how old your daughter is?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 4:38 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Thanks guys!

SFView - she's almost 6. She took a bunch of photos (mostly in and around my office) to chronicle her first Take your Daughter to Work Day. I think she really enjoyed it. In fact, she wore her visitor's badge to school this morning. I remember your daughter's aerial photos. They were fantastic! Still can't believe a four year old took those.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 11:54 PM
BANNED

I bet you didn't know something like this was hidden behind the otherwise uninspiring facade of Symphony Towers. I sure didn't:

Source: http://www.socketsite.com/

Old Posted Apr 26, 2008, 6:58 AM
Only Mostly Dead

I think she's got her old man beat. This is mine from today. Other than the glare since she shot it out a window, I like hers better:

And a closer look at the end of town where all the "action" is:

Old Posted Apr 26, 2008, 9:10 AM
Anti-NIMBY

I don't know if it's just me, but I think that One Rincon is dead sexy.

I can't wait for 2012....

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 4:17 PM
Only Mostly Dead

From today's Chronicle, an article about Wednesday's presentation on new height limits around Transbay:

Quote:
Reaching for the sky South of Market
John King, Robert Selna, Chronicle Staff Writers
Sunday, April 27, 2008

For years, San Francisco planners have talked about loosening downtown height limits to allow towers south of Market Street that would climb past anything in the area.

This week, they'll spell out where - and how high - they want those skyscrapers to go.

Details will be made public on Wednesday when city officials present zoning proposals for sites on blocks centered on the Transbay Terminal at First and Mission streets. But officials already are indicating they see room on the skyline for several new towers that would exceed the current 550-foot height limit.

The recommendations will begin a rezoning process likely to take at least 18 months. The final result will be shaped in part by the politics of a city that has done battle over tall buildings for decades, and where many residents look at towers as view-blocking blights.

"San Francisco's sensibility isn't to embrace height for height's sake," said Dee Dee Workman, executive director of San Francisco Beautiful, a civic group active in environmental issues. "It's more about life on the ground than icons in the air."

At present, San Francisco's tallest skyscraper is the 853-foot Transamerica Pyramid. Since it opened in 1972, nothing has been built above 650 feet.
The Planning Department's study of new heights - which includes a look at shadow impacts and historic preservation issues - is driven in part by the desire to raise funds for efforts to replace the existing bus terminal with a new transit station that would serve future rail commuters as well as bus passengers from throughout the region.

By raising heights, money from property tax receipts and sale of public property could be steered toward the new terminal.

The notion of extra-tall towers also is the culmination of efforts since the 1980s to shift the focus of downtown development - taking growth pressure off neighborhoods such as Chinatown and North Beach and steering it south of Market Street.

Even without a boost, the area today is booming: There's a 645-foot residential tower under construction just east of the Transbay Terminal, and an office building near completion on the west. A pricey fish restaurant opened this month in a former auto repair shop on Minna Street, an alleyway next to the terminal. Art-themed lounges have settled along once-quiet Second Street.

"We are working in the place where the 1985 plan allowed the greatest density. The policy actually worked," said Dean Macris, a development adviser to Mayor Gavin Newsom and the planning director at the time under then-Mayor Dianne Feinstein.

Macris also served three years as planning director under Newsom. In 2006, he and other planning officials made headlines by floating the idea of a 1,000-foot tower at the Transbay site, with Transamerica Pyramid-scaled skyscrapers nearby.

Since then, even taller proposals have appeared on the horizon.
The most visible is on the Transbay block, where last fall the Transbay Joint Powers Authority awarded the Hines development firm the right to purchase land next to the station and erect what the authority called "an iconic presence that will redefine the city's skyline."

As part of its $350 million bid for the land, Hines submitted a proposal for a 1,200-foot high-rise that would be the tallest tower west of Chicago.

Without going into their specific recommendations for the area, city planners suggested last week that developers will need to tailor their wishes to the proposed zoning, rather than the other way around.

"They're trying to maximize their heights," Macris said. "Our obligation is to the skyline and the city as a whole."

Tall buildings and their perceived impacts were a constant theme during political debates in the 1970s and '80s. One example is still on the books: Proposition K, a 1984 measure that banned "any structure that will cast any shade or shadow upon any property under the jurisdiction of ... the Recreation and Park Commission."

The anti-height fervor downtown quieted in the 1990s, and there's been little controversy about the towers erected during the past decade along Mission Street.

But just as the construction of the Transamerica Pyramid stoked opposition, there's been a strong reaction to the new One Rincon condominium tower next to the Bay Bridge. Rooftop mechanical structures make it even more prominent.

"People are startled," Workman said of One Rincon. "It's such a contrast to everything else you can't help but look at it - and you see it from all over the city."

Planners have heard the responses as well. But because the Transbay area already is studded by towers, they believe that adding a handful of others as a sort of crown won't spur the same reaction.

One Rincon and the Transamerica Pyramid "introduced new high-rises into areas that didn't have high-rises," said Joshua Switzky, the project manager for the height study. "What we're talking about is adding height to what's already the core of the city. This is an incremental tweak."

-- For a 360-degree view of the skyline near the Transbay Terminal, go to sfgate.com.

History of the city's towers

1961 - Construction of the 17-story Fontana Towers next to Aquatic Park causes an uproar on nearby Russian Hill. City imposes a 40-foot height limit along the northern waterfront.

1969 - The Bank of America Building opens, at 779 feet the tallest building in San Francisco. A few months later, plans are unveiled for the even taller Transamerica Pyramid, which eventually rises 853 feet.

1972 - One year after voters defeat a ballot initiative that would restrict heights of new buildings to six stories, the city puts an urban design plan in place that lowers the maximum heights downtown to 700 feet.

1984 - Voters approve Proposition K, which prohibits towers from casting new shadows on existing city parks.

1985 - The city approves a downtown plan placing a 550-foot cap on new towers - but raising previously low heights south of Market Street.

1986 - Voters approve Proposition M. Rather than restrict heights, it clamps down on new office buildings for the next decade.

2003 - Aiming to bring more residents downtown, the Planning Department begins work on a rezoning plan for Rincon Hill that will allow nearly a dozen towers above 35 stories. The tallest building allowed in the plan, 641-foot One Rincon, is scheduled to open in 2008.

2005 - City officials approve a redevelopment district around the Transbay Terminal that allows six residential towers of 35 to 55 stories on land once covered by freeway ramps. The towers would rise from public land sold to raise money for rebuilding the terminal.

2006 - Planning Director Dean Macris suggests allowing extremely tall towers in the Transbay area, with the tallest on the terminal site. "It's a big idea, but we think the time has come for the city to think along these lines," he says.

2007 - Three teams of developers and architects submit proposals for the Transbay site. The winner, Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects and the development firm Hines, recommends a 1,200-foot tower next to a terminal that would be topped by a park.

To get involved

The San Francisco Planning Department will release its initial proposals for new zoning in the terminal area - along with recommendations involving historic preservation, street improvements and other urban design issues - in a public meeting Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. at Golden Gate University, 536 Mission St., Room 2201.

-- For more information on Transbay area planning studies, go to transitcenter.sfplanning.org.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 7:33 PM

^ I know most of us already knew the majority of the information contained in this article.. but I think its kind of helpful in some-what solidifying the development going on in terms of whether or not its happening or has been scrapped and the like.

They didn't mention anything about Piano's towers, however

Maybe they will mention it at Wednesday's meeting?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 9:37 PM
Green Berniecrat

They didnt mention anything specific about Piano's towers, but perhaps they made a distant refference to them when they mentioned the "several new towers that would exceed the current 550-foot height limit". Thats my guess anyways, as we're still a little far off before we hear anything for sure.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 10:47 PM

A small tid-bit..

Quote:
Duck and Cover! City to Raise Building Heights, Make Bank

Brace, NIMBYs and Acrophobics among you: San Francisco's skyline will soon rise up triumphantly from the depths of blocked views, earthquake fears, and neighborhood in-fighting; the city will announce a new urban development plan on Wednesday that focuses on skyscrapers planned for the South of Market area, near the Transbay Terminal site and First and Mission Streets. Stay low to the ground, people, as officials are likely to champion more than one scheme for skyscrapers exceeding the city's current 550-foot height limit (The 853-foot Transamerica Pyramid ruined the party for everyone— following its construction in 1972, city buildings haven't exceeded 650 feet in height.) The overall planning process is expected to take 18 months, so fire up your protest engines now.

Why the push? (Cue: Diddy's "It's All About the Benjamins") Taller buildings yield higher tax rates which can— and will— be flipped right into construction costs for the the Transbay Terminal Center. It's all over from there: at 1,200 feet, Pelli Clarke Pelli's new tower will stand as the tallest building west of Chicago. Given that the Transbay area is already riddled with skyscrapers, planners aren't expecting to see the same backlash against the tower as was felt when the Transamerica was built or, more recently, One Rincon fell under its nabe's wrath. City planners have called the Transbay plans an "incremental tweak" to "what is already there." And we all know how well San Francisco copes with tweakers, right?

· Reaching for the sky South of Market [SF Gate]
Source: http://www.socketsite.com

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 12:45 AM

One may also find a more direct source here:
http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2008/0..._make_bank.php
Also read the comments to this article within this link.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 4:25 AM

SFGate:

Core of downtown S.F. would move south under new plan for giant skyscrapers near Transbay Terminal
A cluster of skyscrapers rivaling the Transamerica Pyramid would rise around the West Coast's tallest tower in an ambitious proposal that would shift the heart of San Francisco's downtown south of Market Street.

The zoning plan, unveiled tonight at a packed public meeting, would allow as many as seven new skyscrapers to surpass the current 550-foot height limits in an area surrounding the planned Transbay tower- a high-rise of roughly 1,000 feet adjacent to a new Transbay Terminal at First and Mission streets.

The Board of Supervisors and Planning Commission must approve the zoning proposal, which is likely to be revised in response to public comments. A thorough environmental report is also required.

But planners argue that the taller skyscrapers are appropriate given the city's projected demand for office space and the desire for a dynamic skyline. An added bonus, they say, is that tax revenue from the new buildings would help pay for part of the multi-billion dollar transit hub intended to serve bus passengers from around the Bay Area and rail commuters from the Peninsula and further south.

"There is a renewed interest in heights given the constraints on the environment and a move toward transit-oriented development," said Dean Macris, a development adviser to Mayor Gavin Newsom and the former city planning director who oversaw much of the proposed rezoning. "But these changes are fully justified even if there was no transit center, given the growth projections for San Francisco over the next 25 years."

Macris said the proposal - which, in addition to the Transbay tower, makes room for at least six towers in the 600- to 800-foot range on selected sites along Howard and Mission streets - are a logical extension of the city's Downtown Plan. That 1985 rezoning sought to preserve historic buildings north of Market while steering growth south into what then was a moribund area.

Realistically, it would take at least 18 months for any proposed rezoning to go through the public process, meaning that it would be 2010 at the earliest before any extra-tall towers break ground.

The historic San Francisco concern over building heights isn't simply visceral. An 1984 voters approved a law that prohibits structures that cast shadows on public parks.

While studies are still being done on what shadows would occur at different times of the year in different locations, the likely loss of sunlight prompted planners to pull heights down from what some developers sought - though some new shadows are unavoidable.

The most obvious example is the proposed Transbay tower at First and Mission streets.

Last fall, the Hines development firm and Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects were selected by the Transbay Joint Powers Authority to design and build a high-rise next to the new terminal. The team's plan calls for a 1,200-foot tower, with the top 175 feet devoted to wind turbines behind a metal screen.

At that altitude, planners now say, the skyscraper's shadow at lunchtime would cover most of Justin Herman Plaza, a popular park next to Embarcadero Center. At 1,000 feet, according to planner Joshua Switzky, "it barely touches the plaza at all."

Besides rezoning, planners are looking at such issues as historic preservation. They recommend that protection be extended to several clusters of older buildings along Mission and Howard streets.

Planners also seek widened sidewalks and bus-only lanes on some blocks, to make it easier for pedestrians and transit users to move through the area.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 6:03 AM

(from sfgate)

Preeeeeeeeeeetty!

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 6:16 AM

^ I don't know.. Maybe its just me but it isn't THAT much of a difference.

Atleast not the significant difference I was hoping for.

Last edited by c1tyguy; May 1, 2008 at 6:40 AM.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 7:21 AM

Looks like it fills in the gap between 1 rincon hill and the rest of the downtown skyline, which is very good. Not overpowering in itself though.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 5:05 PM

Filling in the gap between One Rincon Hill and the rest of the City is pretty important to me. It just looks so odd standing all alone over there.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 7:36 PM
Green Berniecrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUCa View Post

(from sfgate)

Preeeeeeeeeeetty!
This graphic doesnt serve it justice in my opinion. It does fill in the gaps, but they make it look so underwhelming. Looks like The John Hancock Center, with the antennas cropped off a bit.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 10:38 PM

well if they do drop it down to about 1000 ft, it will look like that, at least from that angle (since the bofa building is a bit closer). that image of course doesnt include the piano towers, which if they are in the 800-1000 range would definitely draw the eye to that part of downtown.

Old Posted May 3, 2008, 1:32 AM

Downtown

Well, I think it's way past time for San Francisco to develop a real skyline! I hope the proposed structures get built.
I'm new to this forum. I have watched the city's skyline rise from the 435 ft Russ Building all the way to the new Rincon Centre Tower(s)-and now I am waiting for the City to fill in the huge gap between those 2 buildings.
We are more than ready for at least 1 supertall building!
Does anyone know if the Renzo Piano Towers have a chance of being built?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations