HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 12, 2023, 5:18 PM
somewhere in-between

Kalamazoo city planners seem fascinated with all sorts of urban planning trends. It seems like they only ever get partially implemented though, before they lose focus, or move on to something else. It will be interesting (hopefully) to see where this latest effort leads -

Quote:
Why Kalamazoo wants to lay down ‘breadcrumbs’ of fun downtown
Brad Devereaux | MLive
January 30, 2023
$300K for the design & engineering work is already approved, along with $500K for implementing some placemaking designs (with up to another potential $3+ million in the future).

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 10:43 PM
Detroiter4life

This project will certainly be a nice boost for DT Kalamazoo
Kalamazoo gets $12M grant to help reconstruct downtown streets for two-way travel

Quote:
The city of Kalamazoo has been awarded over $12 million in federal grant money toward a project to reconfigure and rebuild major one-way streets downtown as two-way routes.

The $12,272,799 grant award was announced Friday, Feb. 17, Traffic Engineer Dennis Randolph told MLive/Kalamazoo Gazette.

The grant will be specifically for construction to convert Michigan Avenue and Kalamazoo Avenue, both currently one-way streets, to two-way routes, and to build other traffic calming measures and pedestrian features, Randolph said.
https://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo...ay-travel.html

Old Posted Feb 18, 2023, 11:07 AM
somewhere in-between

^ I am trying to remain cautiously optimistic about this. I have been less-than-impressed with some of the city's other recent tactics involving car lane reductions, in exchange for hardly-utilized bike lanes. I'm not against the principle, in theory, just the execution thus far... easy to be a keyboard critic, I know.

But this would be a whole different level of change, with actual millions invested into it and with some pretty intense engineering. I really am hopeful it will make Michigan and Kalamazoo Aves. more pleasant places to be on foot, and hopefully spur denser, more walkable developments. The photo that was included in the article is quite accurate and telling of how it feels to walk along Kalamazoo. It is pretty stark.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2023, 5:28 PM

Some interesting revelations in the approved minutes from the January brownfield development meeting:

203 N Rose, Arcadia Lofts: Approximately 80 units. Brewpub committed to the front facing retail space. Planning on activating the courtyard. 40% of the units will be 80-120% of AMI, for "workforce housing".

Rivers edge: 50% of units will be rented at 60% AMI.

And new business from the agenda of the February meeting:

530 S. Rose senior living development seeing some activity. Planned affordable rates were disclosed.

Letter of Intent filed by plazacorp to develop 225 Parsons for expanded parking related to entertainment and hotel use. FINALLY the Gibson Guitar site is seeing progress! Cost is estimated at $65 million for the hotel and entertainment venue renovation. I thought this was dead in the water!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2023, 12:27 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewInKzoo View Post
Some interesting revelations in the approved minutes from the January brownfield development meeting:
Exciting news, especially the last one about the hotel! I'm shocked to read that this evidently isn't dead yet.

I'm also pretty surprised, though not quite to the same degree as I am about the Gibson news, that 203 N. Rose is making movement. It can't be a coincidence that when I drove in to work earlier than usual this morning, I noticed that on floors 2 & 3 of the Lawrence & Chapin Building, it looked like the floors were gutted, construction lights were installed, and new interior work was already happening. The architecture firm that previously occupied the ground floor also recently moved out of there, into the 15th floor of The Exchange, so it is currently 100% vacant.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 4:52 PM
somewhere in-between

Here's an article about the business that opened where the short-lived Civil House Coffee used to be, across the street from the Transit Center -

Quote:
Kalamazoo's new Dabney and Co. is a Black culture bar that welcomes all
Mark Wedel | Second Wave Media
February 23, 2023

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 5:50 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitMan View Post
This project will certainly be a nice boost for DT Kalamazoo
Kalamazoo gets $12M grant to help reconstruct downtown streets for two-way travel
This is a good move. I remember talking with Laura Lam about this 10 years ago. Happy to see it's moving forward.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2023, 6:13 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
This is a good move. I remember talking with Laura Lam about this 10 years ago. Happy to see it's moving forward.
It's definitely been a long time coming. Unsurprisingly, there is resistance to the idea of bringing back 2-way traffic to major downtown streets. But I think it is a loud minority.

I missed this previously, but a site plan review application was recently submitted for 215 E. Michigan Ave. (this is that long-vacant building that might be turned into a mixed-use redevelopment). The plans include a very small addition on the rear, to provide an elevator & lobby. The first floor shows plans for a decently-sized restaurant, with seating for ~ 150 patrons.

Last edited by deja vu; Feb 26, 2023 at 4:13 AM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2023, 3:41 AM
somewhere in-between

Battle Creek -

In the heart of downtown, New Holland Brewing is planning a soft opening in March for its new brewpub / micro-brewery / micro-distillery, roughly three years after it was initially projected to open. It's been so long delayed, I almost forgot this was even a thing. I'm glad it is still happening. If it turns out anything like The Knickerbocker did in Grand Rapids, it will be a catalyst for a lot more future development -

Quote:
New Holland Brewing Co. expands to Battle Creek
Greg Tasker | Second Wave Media
January 12, 2023

Beer garden -

Source: Second Wave Media | Courtesy New Holland Brewing Co.

Last edited by deja vu; Feb 26, 2023 at 4:13 AM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 3:13 AM
somewhere in-between

I just read that the 7th floor of The Exchange will be converted from vacant office space to 21 additional apartment units. The past three years have proven there is a diminished demand for office space, and the 7th floor has been vacant & unfinished since the building opened. Housing, on the other hand, is still in high demand downtown, and this conversion will bring the total number of units in the building from 131 to 152 -

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 10:58 PM
somewhere in-between

Battle Creek -

An old chapel in Oak Hill Cemetery once used for committal services is getting a renovation -

Source: Second Wave Media | John Grap

Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 5:43 PM
somewhere in-between

Kalamazoo -

My first thought when I read this was, "only $22 million?" But all of this is just mobility-related. They are mostly counting savings from improved safety enhancements, that will reduce potential accidents. Interesting to see the projected negative effect of $5.5 million, due to anticipated longer commute times. What is not tracked, and obviously more nuanced, is the financial benefits that might be gained at the street level, as more people actually want to spend time on the sidewalks, eating at restaurants, drinking coffee at cafes, etc. without fear of an 18-wheeler barreling right through them -

Some park news -

In Kalamazoo, a new playground was recently installed at Milham Park. The old facilities were pretty tired & worn-down -

Source: LinkedIn | Chris Praedel

Nearby in Portage, there is a multi-phase plan to enhance popular Lakeview Park, with things like a small amphitheater, an expanded boardwalk, new restroom facilities, waterfront swings, a linear fountain, rental kiosks, sculptures, a sledding hill, roof deck, and more. I really like this park, and while it is a long drive from where we live now, we used to frequent it when we lived in south Portage. The goal is to develop the park to help anchor the small local business district in this area -

Source: MLive | City of Portage

In other news, the former Burdick Hair & Beauty Supply at 112 E Cork St. is no-more. This business suffered a fire a few years that partially damaged it. Then it was partially rebuilt. But now it is completely demolished. Frankly, this building was an eyesore long before the fire, and the best thing about it was the BBQ business parked in front of it (they are still in business at another location now). I read that the adjacent Kalamazoo Animal Hospital has plans to built an expansion here -

Source: Facebook | John Johnson

Last edited by deja vu; Dec 29, 2023 at 6:32 PM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 3:19 PM
somewhere in-between

Oshtemo Township -

FlavorSum LLC, previously known as Natural Flavors, is building a 35,000 SF expansion at their Oshtemo Facility, supported by funding from the michigan Strategic Fund. The $10 million project will potentially create 50+ new jobs, effectively doubling the current number of employees -

Quote:
FlavorSum LLC expansion aims to create 51 jobs in Kalamazoo
by Katie Sergent | News Channel 3
March 16th 2023

Source: Executive Office of the Governor / WWMT

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 12:18 AM

With all of the downtown apartments being built and it being 100% funded privately, this is a done deal right?

https://wwmt.com/news/local/downtown...e-funds-public

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 2:05 AM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by GudyFishing View Post
With all of the downtown apartments being built and it being 100% funded privately, this is a done deal right?

https://wwmt.com/news/local/downtown...e-funds-public
Wow - renderings! Thanks for sharing that article. I've been very busy with work and haven't kept close tabs on things. Here's the associated images -

Source: Tower Pinkster | WWMT

The 100% private funding will certainly help the case. I think the project backers will need to get buy-in from the KWings and / or WMU hockey & basketball teams to help justify it. Kalamazoo also has a new "professional" basketball team - The Kalamazoo Galaxy (part of the The Basketball League, or TBL). They were not mentioned in the article, but I could see this being a venue for their home games too (currently played at Wings Event Center).

I think this is the first time I've seen an architecture firm's name tied to the design - TowerPinkster (coincidentally the same local architect of the courthouse next-door).

I still have so many questions though -

1. Who are these anonymous private investors? It would be easy to guess that some last names like Parfet and Johnston are in the mix. Maybe it doesn't matter, but I always get nervous when investors remain anonymous on such big developments, because there is usually less transparency about what kind of trade-offs or conditional requirements are being set between them and local officials.

2. What does this mean for the recently unveiled housing development plans along Arcadia Creek (depicted as community space and parking deck in the diagram in the article)? That housing proposal seemed preliminary but also seemed like it had legs. Is PlazaCorp involved in this arena development now, and if so, would there be a housing component potentially integrated into it? The diagram in the article does imply a little bit of green space, left for a separate housing proposal (though it wouldn't match the footprint of the PlazaCorp one).

3. I'm not convinced that an arena will really benefit the Northside. Jim's comment "I especially appreciate the diversity, equity, and inclusion components of the community benefits, and what it means for Kalamazoo’s Northside neighborhood" seems incredibly vague (granted, I have not seen the full proposal or watched a recording of it, so maybe there is more context). But what does that really mean? Yes, it will create lots of jobs. But those jobs will not be exclusively for Northside residents. It will create a ton of traffic during events too, and it will further extend the building wall along Kalamazoo Ave. which many already despise when it comes to the adjacent courthouse complex that is under construction. Many already feel like the courthouse is a symbolic and physical barrier that separates the Northside from downtown. Like the courthouse, it appears that this "turns its back" on the Northside neighborhood. What does "transparent activated program" really mean?

4. Where are the community input sessions? Maybe those are still coming? It all seems so secretive.

5. How does this proposed attraction work with the city's active plans to convert major downtown arterial streets to 2-way traffic?

I guess overall, my opinions about this are still very mixed, and I'll probably sit on the fence a while until we know more.

Last edited by deja vu; Mar 24, 2023 at 6:01 PM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 10:44 AM

It's gonna happen - probably

After you posted this initial announcement of the arena plan, the MLIVE article came out with extensive quotes from the WMU Athletic director, KWings management, Northside leaders all gushing about the possibilities and all but promising to move teams and mountains to make this happen. The existing sport facilities are really wretched and a likely impediment to greater success for either organization. A straight multi-million $ payout to northside community orgs keeps them on the bandwagon.

Catalyst learned lessons from past failures and had all the ducks and broncos lined up and quacking in unison on this one. It's almost certainly a strong GO.

I am sad to see the housing plans impacted at least temporarily, but the spin off effects are likely to result in more housing, especially between WMU and downtown. The strong "no change here" contingent will squawk about everything, but I have hope this will come to pass. Empty lots need to be filled in downtown.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkazoo View Post
After you posted this initial announcement of the arena plan, the MLIVE article came out with extensive quotes from the WMU Athletic director, KWings management, Northside leaders all gushing about the possibilities and all but promising to move teams and mountains to make this happen. The existing sport facilities are really wretched and a likely impediment to greater success for either organization. A straight multi-million $ payout to northside community orgs keeps them on the bandwagon.

Catalyst learned lessons from past failures and had all the ducks and broncos lined up and quacking in unison on this one. It's almost certainly a strong GO.

I am sad to see the housing plans impacted at least temporarily, but the spin off effects are likely to result in more housing, especially between WMU and downtown. The strong "no change here" contingent will squawk about everything, but I have hope this will come to pass. Empty lots need to be filled in downtown.

The last sentence of the article DejaVu posted was the following:

Quote:
The new apartment community would not interfere with any potential arena construction plans, according to city of Kalamazoo Planner Christina Anderson.
not sure how, though...

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 7:58 PM

I think it's broadly a great idea since it's privately funded, but I agree with the concerns about "benefiting" the Northside. It won't. Arenas/stadiums never do, and they shouldn't pretend it will. I also don't love that they say they're purposely "overbuilding parking." That's not a good thing for the middle of a downtown.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 7:27 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Thanks for sharing that article. It gives some more insight into the BIPOC initiatives. And that's a very different tune from WMU and KWings, compared to the rumors I heard years ago that they had little interest in the proposal.

Quote:

Quote:
Fair point. Hopefully it does catalyze some quality housing development infill. The developer is, after all, named Catalyst.

Last edited by deja vu; Mar 25, 2023 at 2:19 AM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2023, 6:03 PM
somewhere in-between

Just for fun, I thought I'd make a quick spreadsheet to compare nearby arenas.

Some obvious / interesting things to note:
  1. Excluding Van Andel Arena, the average age of sporting + concert venues around here is 52 years old!
  2. Construction of a new downtown event center / arena would squarely put it in second place, in terms of capacity (behind Van Andel)
  3. This could be roughly double the investment of the (original) Van Andel Arena project, adjusting for inflation.
Also, while "researching" I discovered that the owner of Wings Event Center is Greenleaf Hospitality Group (part of the same family of companies as Catalyst Development, owned / chaired by Bill Johnston). So that goes a long way in explaining why the Kalamazoo Wings are on-board with the possible relocation. It does beg the question, what will happen to Wings Event Center if / when this is built?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations